Which 350SXF upgrades would you go with, and why?

T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
Edited Date/Time 12/2/2018 12:51pm
I’m hoping to find people with real world experiences, not just uneducated replies. And yes, I know the bike is plenty capable as-is out of the box and no matter what I do to the bike, I’ll still be old, slow, and fat.

Triple clamps. Which brand would you go with? Should I go with X-Trig or Neken SFS? I can’t stand the stock black clamps, so I’m replacing them with an orange set.

Exhaust. It’s hard to find many reviews on exhausts nowadays it seems, or maybe it’s because this bike is the weird one that isn’t popular with aftermarket reviews. I did read the PC exhaust didn’t do much other than change the sound and lighten your wallet. I think I read the Rocket exhaust, with mapping changes (and maybe fuel?), was good. I’ve got a friend that says the FMF system woke his bike up, so I’m putting that into thought. Does anyone have experience with the Akrapovic Evo system? Any other exhausts recommended?

Ignition. I’ve been waiting for the Keefer comparison between the GET and Vortex I swear I heard him talk about to pop up. Anyone on here have experience with either, or both? I’m not super serious about getting an ignition unless I’m talked into it, but I’d like to hear thoughts on them.

Wheels. I’d like to keep the cost of a decent wheelset to under a grand. I read the thread about the Tusk wheels, and despite them being very budget-friendly, they had a lot of good things said about them. How about FasterUSA? What about the ones in the KTM Powerparts catalog?

The bike is a 2018 model.
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/22/2018 2:19am
One of the best upgrades performance wise to my 19 350 is mapping and Vortex from Twisted Development.

Clamps, personally I like X Trig ROCS.

Exhaust, I’m a fan of Yoshimura.

Wheels, I like DUbya ultralights.

Last upgrade for performance is suspension, IMO.

yz133rider
11/22/2018 2:20am
Id do forks before anything else honestly. Find a set of ohlins or kybs
Turbojez
11/22/2018 3:28am
Definitely suspension first. Either revalve or a better forks and shock, depending on how much you can spend. You can go faster, safer and for longer. Power is nothing without control.

The Shop

T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
11/22/2018 3:39am
yz133rider wrote:
Id do forks before anything else honestly. Find a set of ohlins or kybs
CV and Trax are already on the way. It’s everything else I’m curious about.
ben5020
11/22/2018 4:27am
I did 51 rear sprocket, yosh titanium full system, Tokyo mods ecu re-flash, vp u 4.4
Titanium propegs, kyb suspension front and rear, xtrig clamps, Honda steering damper coming soon. I can holeshot the 450’s on this thing and I’m not sure exactly which has more benefit power wise but the combo is by far better then my buddy’s stocker. Next on the list is a vortex because I spoke with an engine builder who’s said the 350 kicks ass with the proper tune and doesn’t need cams or high Comp piston to wake it up ??‍♂️ He knows his stuff so I’ll give it a shot. If you find any Black Friday deals on a vortex let me know and I’ll do the same!
11/22/2018 4:28am
This is a no brainer:

1) Xtrig all the way

2) FMF all the way

3) Both Vortex and Get are good choices but i would go with Vortex

4) Go with SM PRO WHEEL (One of the lightest wheels out there = unsprung weight bro)

But before all that, yes suspension comes first (CV or spring inserts)
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
11/22/2018 4:30pm
This is a no brainer: 1) Xtrig all the way 2) FMF all the way 3) Both Vortex and Get are good choices but i would...
This is a no brainer:

1) Xtrig all the way

2) FMF all the way

3) Both Vortex and Get are good choices but i would go with Vortex

4) Go with SM PRO WHEEL (One of the lightest wheels out there = unsprung weight bro)

But before all that, yes suspension comes first (CV or spring inserts)
Can I ask why you say Xtrig and FMF all the way? Do you have experience with the full Yosh and Akra systems on these bikes?

Thanks.
BobPA
11/22/2018 4:57pm
One of the best upgrades performance wise to my 19 350 is mapping and Vortex from Twisted Development. Clamps, personally I like X Trig ROCS. Exhaust...
One of the best upgrades performance wise to my 19 350 is mapping and Vortex from Twisted Development.

Clamps, personally I like X Trig ROCS.

Exhaust, I’m a fan of Yoshimura.

Wheels, I like DUbya ultralights.

Last upgrade for performance is suspension, IMO.

I agree with all this. The Neken SFS is worth it if your forks are absolutely terrible.

Rocket exhausts look great on KTM’s because they are smaller in diameter than most....but, I have no idea how they perform.

Congrats on the CV forks already on the way, my jealousy meter is pegged.
Tonynz
11/22/2018 5:12pm
This is what I have done to my 19 350SXF.
FMF Silencer
Ohlins Shock
Ohlins inserts ( still had forks with these in so, swapped forks )
2 stroke filter cage
Opened up filter cover
Raptor pegs (off my 16)
Vortex ECU from TOKYO Mods
51 t rear sprocket.
Various bling off my 16

On my 16 350 I had Akropovic silencer, I swapped it out for a full FMF system, and standard ECU remapped my TOKYO Mods, the difference was amazing.

c0ncEpT
11/22/2018 7:32pm
Rekluse Radius CX. Best mod I've done to my 18 350SXF so far. Ride 95% Moto.
ben5020
11/22/2018 7:47pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
if your after the rekluse radius cx let me know i have one with 10 hours or so on it.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
11/22/2018 7:49pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
I’ve got a EXP Core 3.0 for it. I’ll be buying the CX upgrade kit for that. I agree though, it’s the best things I’ve ever bought for a bike!
jmf535
11/22/2018 7:56pm
What I've done to mine:

KYB (A-kit) conversion, front and rear
PC linkage
51 tooth rear sprocket
Removed filter screen
Tokyo Mods re-map
Full Yoshi exhaust

The suspension/linkage was far-and-away the best money I've ever spent, and it's what I recommend all 350 owners do (the stock stuff is awful, IMO)...I see you went with CV and Trax, so you're all set there.

Then the whole +1 sprocket/screen removal/remap/exhaust made for a very nice little package that really opened up the motor...gave it a lot more snap down low, while still letting it scream up top. I say unless your a A-class rider, I wouldn't spend the extra money on a GET or Vortex ignition. I was ready and waiting to get headwork/cams done, but after all of that, I honestly don't see the need.

Same goes for wheels...I don't see the need to upgrade, unless you just want some bling and the money.
bents
Fantasy
909th
11/22/2018 8:03pm
jmf535 wrote:
What I've done to mine: KYB (A-kit) conversion, front and rear PC linkage 51 tooth rear sprocket Removed filter screen Tokyo Mods re-map Full Yoshi exhaust...
What I've done to mine:

PC linkage
51 tooth rear sprocket
Removed filter screen
Tokyo Mods re-map
Full Yoshi exhaust

The suspension/linkage was far-and-away the best money I've ever spent, and it's what I recommend all 350 owners do (the stock stuff is awful, IMO)...I see you went with CV and Trax, so you're all set there.

Then the whole +1 sprocket/screen removal/remap/exhaust made for a very nice little package that really opened up the motor...gave it a lot more snap down low, while still letting it scream up top. I say unless your a A-class rider, I wouldn't spend the extra money on a GET or Vortex ignition. I was ready and waiting to get headwork/cams done, but after all of that, I honestly don't see the need.

Same goes for wheels...I don't see the need to upgrade, unless you just want some bling and the money.
Tell me more about the linkage?
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
11/22/2018 8:14pm
jmf535 wrote:
What I've done to mine: KYB (A-kit) conversion, front and rear PC linkage 51 tooth rear sprocket Removed filter screen Tokyo Mods re-map Full Yoshi exhaust...
What I've done to mine:

PC linkage
51 tooth rear sprocket
Removed filter screen
Tokyo Mods re-map
Full Yoshi exhaust

I’ve got the larger rear sprocket and the two stroke cages. I’m definitely not an A rider, so I’ll take the Vortex comment serious. Like I said, it’s not a priority by any means. As for the wheels, pretty much for the bling factor. If I can’t go fast, the bike may as well look the part.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/22/2018 9:01pm
jmf535 wrote:
What I've done to mine:

PC linkage
51 tooth rear sprocket
Removed filter screen
Tokyo Mods re-map
Full Yoshi exhaust

bents wrote:
Did you do bell crank with the linkage?

Did you need to change spring rates?
jmf535
11/23/2018 10:10am
bents wrote:
KTM worked some trickery into the stock linkage in order to run low springs rates - thus save weight- but it created a very dead and harsh feel. The PC linkage fixes this," allowing you to run a true-to-weight spring and giving it a linear feel.

With the stock linkage I found that the rear end would not settle into corners/under breaking, squatted far too much under acceleration, and was harsh through chop. With the PC linkage (and a revalve) all of this was greatly improved, especially turn in feel.
jmf535
11/23/2018 10:29am
Did you do bell crank with the linkage?

Did you need to change spring rates?
I did the entire linkage...bell crank and arm.

You do need to go up 2-3 spring rates. I went up 3, from a 4.2 to a 4.8
Huckster
11/23/2018 11:02am
ben5020 wrote:
if your after the rekluse radius cx let me know i have one with 10 hours or so on it.
How much? I have a 17 Husky 350 and am thinking about getting one.
Denn700
11/23/2018 11:26am
I have a 19 KTM 350. I just put an Akrapovic full system on it this week and will test it tomorrow. I took the baffle out of the exhaust. I changed the bars and put a spring conversion kit from Enzo in. The spring kit is way better than stock but not on par with my Enzo Suspension I had on my YZ450. I am going to put Kit Suspension and new wheels on it next. I also run a 51 tooth on the rear and really like it.

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/23/2018 11:34am
jmf535 wrote:
KTM worked some trickery into the stock linkage in order to run low springs rates - thus save weight- but it created a very dead and...
KTM worked some trickery into the stock linkage in order to run low springs rates - thus save weight- but it created a very dead and harsh feel. The PC linkage fixes this," allowing you to run a true-to-weight spring and giving it a linear feel.

With the stock linkage I found that the rear end would not settle into corners/under breaking, squatted far too much under acceleration, and was harsh through chop. With the PC linkage (and a revalve) all of this was greatly improved, especially turn in feel.
The PC link lowers the wheel rate for the initial 70% or so of wheel travel (requiring a stiffer spring and valving) and then ramps up significantly at the end of travel for increased bottoming resistance. It's definitely an upgrade over stock when paired with proper springs and valving. We designed our first linkage with similar geometry to the PC, but have since designed a new version that has slightly better performance and fixes the issue with spring interference at the swingarm that the PC link has (only an issue on high spring rates). You can see the wheel rate curves on our website (very bottom of the page). The PC curve is similar, but a bit more progressive at the end of stroke. We found it to pack up a bit in some situations.

https://luxonmx.com/products-suspension.html
PTshox
11/23/2018 12:28pm
Billy - is the linkage knuckle you offer all that is needed to address this issue? I realize valving and springs will need to be changed.
Txs,
PT
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/23/2018 12:46pm
PTshox wrote:
Billy - is the linkage knuckle you offer all that is needed to address this issue? I realize valving and springs will need to be changed...
Billy - is the linkage knuckle you offer all that is needed to address this issue? I realize valving and springs will need to be changed.
Txs,
PT
Yes, you only need the knuckle as this uses the stock link arm length.
CM46
11/23/2018 12:48pm
Denn700 wrote:
I have a 19 KTM 350. I just put an Akrapovic full system on it this week and will test it tomorrow. I took the baffle...
I have a 19 KTM 350. I just put an Akrapovic full system on it this week and will test it tomorrow. I took the baffle out of the exhaust. I changed the bars and put a spring conversion kit from Enzo in. The spring kit is way better than stock but not on par with my Enzo Suspension I had on my YZ450. I am going to put Kit Suspension and new wheels on it next. I also run a 51 tooth on the rear and really like it.

How much did the Enzo spring conversion run you?
Denn700
11/23/2018 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2018 2:15pm
It was around $1000 I think for the springs and revalve.
richter28
Fantasy
164th
11/23/2018 2:26pm
125 filter cage and the quick throttle cam first. The stock pipe is good, if you map it correctly. For the money and logistics to you, getting the ecu mapped at TZR is your best option. If you want an exhaust though, they are all good if mapped correctly, but performance wise you can really do good with the stock system. Also, the stock clamps are neken so you'd be paying that money for the color and the bar clamps basically.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
11/23/2018 2:30pm
richter28 wrote:
125 filter cage and the quick throttle cam first. The stock pipe is good, if you map it correctly. For the money and logistics to you...
125 filter cage and the quick throttle cam first. The stock pipe is good, if you map it correctly. For the money and logistics to you, getting the ecu mapped at TZR is your best option. If you want an exhaust though, they are all good if mapped correctly, but performance wise you can really do good with the stock system. Also, the stock clamps are neken so you'd be paying that money for the color and the bar clamps basically.
I got the bike from you guys. Random, but just saying.

Post a reply to: Which 350SXF upgrades would you go with, and why?

The Latest