Where should I go to live/ride over the winter?

Chance1216
10/17/2020 10:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2020 10:00pm
As a guy who has lived nearly everywhere in the US, it sure sounds to me like you would appreciate Southern California, mostly because you mentioned...
As a guy who has lived nearly everywhere in the US, it sure sounds to me like you would appreciate Southern California, mostly because you mentioned that you like trail riding in addition to motocross. If all you wanted was moto, Florida would be great, too. I recommend you look into renting a place in Canyon Lake, CA. You would be an hour or less away from at least 5 motocross tracks I can think of off the top of my head, and with a dual sport bike, the off road trail riding in the area is unlimited. It is a private, gated community, so crime is almost non-existent there. I grew up there, and I sure miss that place.
I agree, SoCal is the call. Great weather, tons of close by tracks and endless offroad riding. I'm sure there are at least a few winter...
I agree, SoCal is the call. Great weather, tons of close by tracks and endless offroad riding. I'm sure there are at least a few winter series going as well. Track and offroad races that is... I am towing the toyhauler down in January. I can't fuggin wait!!!!
Sounds like your making a similar trek that I made last October just to get the hell outta the rainy ass PNW for a week.
G-man
10/17/2020 11:19pm
Don't come here, it's filling up FAST!

Tracks are closing, Rattlesnakes and Thorne-Lined trails and Tumbleweeds every where you go! 😳

Denn700
10/19/2020 9:12am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2020 9:13am
I would live in Canton Or Tyler, Texas.
Tyler is an Hour and a half from Dallas and Shreveport, La.
In North Louisiana you have Desoto Motorsports which is owned by Trampas Parker’s family and West Monroe.
You have Swan MX in Tyler.
Canton is about 30 minutes closer to Dallas than Tyler
and you have Buffalo Creek and South Central. They are only about 3 or 4 miles apart.
Dallas has a ton of tracks. I’m not going to name all of them
and you also have Underground, Athens, Freestone and Red Bug , Paris and Johnsonville which are all really close to Tyler and Canton.
ktmfun219
Fantasy
401st
10/20/2020 9:17am
This- GA is heaven for off -road and surrounding states as mentioned. Wished I moved to GA in 1985.

The Shop

raddad
10/20/2020 10:35am
ktmfun219 wrote:
This- GA is heaven for off -road and surrounding states as mentioned. Wished I moved to GA in 1985.
That area does sound great for the type of riding I’m looking for which is what we have here in Minnesota. But what about weather? I’m not crazy about tons of rain and cold weather in the winter. I like to surf, swim and beach bum life too! Maybe drive south spend some time there and go west when the weather goes to shite?
DuroTools
11/19/2020 9:26am
ktmfun219 wrote:
raddad wrote:
That area does sound great for the type of riding I’m looking for which is what we have here in Minnesota. But what about weather? I’m...
That area does sound great for the type of riding I’m looking for which is what we have here in Minnesota. But what about weather? I’m not crazy about tons of rain and cold weather in the winter. I like to surf, swim and beach bum life too! Maybe drive south spend some time there and go west when the weather goes to shite?
keep us updated once you make up your mind and let us know if you made the right decision at the end of the winter!
raddad
11/19/2020 10:37am
Thanks! I’m still reviewing all the suggestions and I’ll tell ya it’s not easy. Florida is much closer but I’ve spent some time there and froze my ass off in the winter!! Same for California other than the far south. Also does it rain and get miserable in Florida/ Georgia in January to March in General?

I bought a toy hauler and have a pickup to pull it so if I find a good base camp I can run around. Ill have my FX350 and I’ll bring an adventure bike too so I’d like to be able to be somewhat near the ocean and cool little pubs etc.

Mainly though, places to ride fast on trails, enter hair scrambles events ride moto and enter some races. Meet folks (maybe of the female persuasionWink and new riding buddies.
ramfl90
11/19/2020 11:28am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 11:29am
raddad wrote:
Thanks! I’m still reviewing all the suggestions and I’ll tell ya it’s not easy. Florida is much closer but I’ve spent some time there and froze...
Thanks! I’m still reviewing all the suggestions and I’ll tell ya it’s not easy. Florida is much closer but I’ve spent some time there and froze my ass off in the winter!! Same for California other than the far south. Also does it rain and get miserable in Florida/ Georgia in January to March in General?

I bought a toy hauler and have a pickup to pull it so if I find a good base camp I can run around. Ill have my FX350 and I’ll bring an adventure bike too so I’d like to be able to be somewhat near the ocean and cool little pubs etc.

Mainly though, places to ride fast on trails, enter hair scrambles events ride moto and enter some races. Meet folks (maybe of the female persuasionWink and new riding buddies.
Florida is relatively dry and cool January-March compared to the rest of the year. Depending on where in FL you go you will have plenty of riding options here. Tampa-St Pete area wouldn't be a bad place to meet people. Orlando is central with plenty to do and close to a lot of riding spots too.

Croom has fast trails you can blaze, Ocala National Forest probably does too (never ridden out there), and there are tons of MX tracks sprinkled throughout the state and central Florida especially. Spyder MX, Dade City, Tampa MX, Bartow MX, Orlando MX (in Bithlo), Pax Trax, 74 Family Fun Park, Waldo, the list goes on. Some are sand, some more hard packed. Check them out and take your pick.

For race series there are multiple motocross series running and for hare scrambles you can join and race Florida Trail Riders. Spyder MX is looking to do a stand-alone GP early next year and Day in the Dirt might be back at Dade City next year too. FX 350 would be perfect for FTR and any racing you would want to do here.
raddad
1/22/2021 10:00am
Hey Guys, I just arrived in Pala CA. last night at Justin 301's place! So tomorrow my first ride in Barstow with Justin. his dad and others. I wonder what it'll be like compared to Minnesota MX and trails? Can't wait!
Tak_ryan
1/22/2021 3:03pm
Texas—Dallas or Houston

I’d look into Conroe/The Woodlands in Houston area. 3 Palms MX Park is open 5 Days a week and there are apartment complexes everywhere (literally next door).

In addition to 3 Palms, there are multiple other tracks within an hours drive.
Rawly
1/22/2021 7:47pm
Welcome to California. You are in for an awesome winter.
wisey
Fantasy
1380th
1/22/2021 7:57pm
raddad wrote:
Hey Guys, I just arrived in Pala CA. last night at Justin 301's place! So tomorrow my first ride in Barstow with Justin. his dad and...
Hey Guys, I just arrived in Pala CA. last night at Justin 301's place! So tomorrow my first ride in Barstow with Justin. his dad and others. I wonder what it'll be like compared to Minnesota MX and trails? Can't wait!
Just in time for some rain...makes for perfect desert riding. Sounds like your group knows the spot. Hope you like sand, rock, tech single track.
Oh and say hello to Barbie at the Barstow Bunny Ranch 😂
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/22/2021 8:36pm
raddad wrote:
Hey Guys, I just arrived in Pala CA. last night at Justin 301's place! So tomorrow my first ride in Barstow with Justin. his dad and...
Sounds like a goood time have fun! Tell Justin Tarz says hello.
301w
Fantasy
2931st
1/23/2021 8:59pm
Good day out in Barstow ! What’s up tarz!
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
1/23/2021 9:47pm
I agree with others here. Outside of California the GA/FL line would be a great location.
I know it’s 12 hours from eastern NC to South Georgia. Not too bad if you are planning to stay atleast the weekend.
str8line
1/23/2021 9:57pm
301w wrote:
Good day out in Barstow ! What’s up tarz! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/01/23/474585/s1200_01C8CB35_1819_45BC_9F9F_14EB5147D2F5.jpg[/img]
Good day out in Barstow ! What’s up tarz!

That terrain is pretty vertical out there.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
1/23/2021 10:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2021 10:08pm
If this looks like fun to you, you should try and come out and ride with us. Manny (Team Green) can confirm the STOKE of our trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwDWUj_I8aY&feature=youtu.be

This is from today, tomorrow will be Bitchen. You can visit LACR MX Track and I-5 MX as well. Cal City is another awesome track in the area.
Meister
1/24/2021 6:14am
I'd choose somewhere in florida. Couldn't pay me to own a house in california, even if I was loaded.

I've been all over florida and my favorite area to be is santa rosa beach which is in-between destin and panama city. There's a few pan handle tracks and also a couple killer ones not far north in alabama. Then for a long weekend here or there make the trips around the rest of florida to the lower tracks.

If you're considering a place in cali, you can afford to buy enough house and land in lower alabama to build your own moto paradise.
dbx33
1/24/2021 4:23pm
I still cant find a rental house w garage for like 1200/mo for two months. Would also stay with someone for less if possible. Found a bunch of rental houses for less all over the place but they all need a 1yr lease minimum which has already cost me all of January riding...
walent215
1/24/2021 4:44pm
dbx33 wrote:
I still cant find a rental house w garage for like 1200/mo for two months. Would also stay with someone for less if possible. Found a...
I still cant find a rental house w garage for like 1200/mo for two months. Would also stay with someone for less if possible. Found a bunch of rental houses for less all over the place but they all need a 1yr lease minimum which has already cost me all of January riding...
Where are you looking ?
1/24/2021 8:27pm
I was in Cal. Sunday to thurs, mon. Had the trailer repaired in Barstow, rough road out there. There everywhere, but i40 nm. Into Ca. Pot holes, etc tears equipment up. The rest of the state the roads are nasty. Only saw 2 decent looking women, see more in Chicago or Ohio in 5 min. I said to the shop I bet your always busy, they said oh yeah 24-7. Delivered to Fresno. Then did 2 short loads in Ca. , point bay was the furthest north. No load going east , so dh to east of Reno. I didn,t see anyone hauling a dirt bike, thought that was weird. It,s so dry in the desert states, don,t care for that, always thirsty. Dropped the trailer, went to Walmart in Tulare, more expensive than other states. Homeless are everywhere. I checked the soil out, where ever I went, it sucks. Go to Florida or south east , much better soil. Plz be careful leaving Ca. , there are some very tired drivers in the desert states, saw 3 drive into the desert.
raddad
4/4/2021 8:07am
Hello guys! I just got back to Minnesota after wintering at Justin’s place in Pala California. What an experience it was! I rode the desert with Justin, his dad and others which was a new and tire destroying adventure! I raced swap moto series at Glen Helen which was fast and fun, I raced the national GP championship at Glen Helen and that was completely off the charts with crazy fast sections rough creek beds single track and 45 minutes of pure torturing joy! I raced a D37 desert race that was like nothing I’ve done before, 67 people all taking off together in a cloud of dust flying sand and chaos!

I practiced at most of the SoCal tracks with Pala being the most frequented at ten minutes away but they all offered lots of fun jumps and even some rough areas especially Glen Helen which is most like my Minnesota tracks especially Millville. I was able to tune in my new A kit suspension on my FX 350 so I’m ready to race my Minnesota series coming up. Not to mention I’m in race shape for once!

Justin and his “twisted tree nursery” gang were great hosts and easy to be around. I even got to sit in and play a few songs with a live band at a cook out they hadSmile the road from Justin’s place to fox raceway was a curvy blast on my KTM ADV bike. All in all it was all good and loved the experience. I stopped on my way home for a HS race on Oklahoma City too.

I would highly recommend renting a parking spot to any pro or amateur rider to practice and race the SoCal tracks. Thanks Justin!
TeamGreen
4/4/2021 9:26am
raddad wrote:
Hello guys! I just got back to Minnesota after wintering at Justin’s place in Pala California. What an experience it was! I rode the desert with...
Hello guys! I just got back to Minnesota after wintering at Justin’s place in Pala California. What an experience it was! I rode the desert with Justin, his dad and others which was a new and tire destroying adventure! I raced swap moto series at Glen Helen which was fast and fun, I raced the national GP championship at Glen Helen and that was completely off the charts with crazy fast sections rough creek beds single track and 45 minutes of pure torturing joy! I raced a D37 desert race that was like nothing I’ve done before, 67 people all taking off together in a cloud of dust flying sand and chaos!

I practiced at most of the SoCal tracks with Pala being the most frequented at ten minutes away but they all offered lots of fun jumps and even some rough areas especially Glen Helen which is most like my Minnesota tracks especially Millville. I was able to tune in my new A kit suspension on my FX 350 so I’m ready to race my Minnesota series coming up. Not to mention I’m in race shape for once!

Justin and his “twisted tree nursery” gang were great hosts and easy to be around. I even got to sit in and play a few songs with a live band at a cook out they hadSmile the road from Justin’s place to fox raceway was a curvy blast on my KTM ADV bike. All in all it was all good and loved the experience. I stopped on my way home for a HS race on Oklahoma City too.

I would highly recommend renting a parking spot to any pro or amateur rider to practice and race the SoCal tracks. Thanks Justin!
Glad you came out here and had such a good time.

Thanks for Sharing The Stoke!

M1000
4/4/2021 9:50am
New Zealand or Australia. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie......summertime (Dec,Jan, Feb, March).
raddad
4/4/2021 9:52am
Thanks! Good chance I’ll be back next winter😎it was fun rubbin plastic with the California bunch!
301w
Fantasy
2931st
4/4/2021 4:57pm
We miss you already Craig ! Who’s going to work on all my machines now ?? Thankyou for the good memories , you are Rad !
olderandYZer
4/4/2021 6:07pm
That's sounds like a cool experience. Something that I might try.
brocster
4/4/2021 6:57pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2021 11:37am
I was in Cal. Sunday to thurs, mon. Had the trailer repaired in Barstow, rough road out there. There everywhere, but i40 nm. Into Ca. Pot...
I was in Cal. Sunday to thurs, mon. Had the trailer repaired in Barstow, rough road out there. There everywhere, but i40 nm. Into Ca. Pot holes, etc tears equipment up. The rest of the state the roads are nasty. Only saw 2 decent looking women, see more in Chicago or Ohio in 5 min. I said to the shop I bet your always busy, they said oh yeah 24-7. Delivered to Fresno. Then did 2 short loads in Ca. , point bay was the furthest north. No load going east , so dh to east of Reno. I didn,t see anyone hauling a dirt bike, thought that was weird. It,s so dry in the desert states, don,t care for that, always thirsty. Dropped the trailer, went to Walmart in Tulare, more expensive than other states. Homeless are everywhere. I checked the soil out, where ever I went, it sucks. Go to Florida or south east , much better soil. Plz be careful leaving Ca. , there are some very tired drivers in the desert states, saw 3 drive into the desert.
You were in the desert and central state, not too much going on there and not a place to assess California as a whole. Had you went a tad bit more South you would have seen all that you were looking for and more. Not all of California is what you see on tv and the magazines, but a lot of it is...
raddad
4/5/2021 3:01pm
Hey Justin, you’re welcome! I’m
Sure if I come next year you’ll have plenty of stuff to fix😜

And ya I know there’s more to California, been top to bottom but this area is pretty much the moto Mecca plus the thing that put it over the top is Justin’s moto camp!

Post a reply to: Where should I go to live/ride over the winter?

The Latest