Where should I go to live/ride over the winter?

raddad
10/15/2020 11:07am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2021 3:01pm
I sold my home in Costa Rica because Minnesota residents aren’t allowed in. So I’m looking anywhere in the world that USA residents are allowed to live and ride for three months. Anywhere in the USA is great too! Florida? California? Or??

Wherever it is it must be close to trail riding/racing and moto tracks. Also have home rentals available. I’d appreciate any ideas you have! Thanks 🙏
|
mx317
10/15/2020 11:19am
Florida or south Alabama
kapaa10
10/15/2020 11:22am
North county san diego
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
10/15/2020 11:36am
RV/trailer and ride everywhere.

The Shop

JWACK
10/15/2020 12:09pm
Color me jealous.!

10/15/2020 12:15pm
Florida, not common but the pan handle can get colder than Green Bay. I have Tara Geiger,s 04 cr125 Practice cylinder and. Head, set up for 2mm stroker crank, 1mm up and 1 mm down. Remember she was winning on that cr.
Brent
10/15/2020 12:21pm
...its a pretty sad day when Americans are not allowed in Costa Rica. or Europe. Or Australia.

SoCal has 8 tracks within 80 miles of each other, you can ride every day of the week.

The smoke from the fires last month is almost gone too...
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
10/15/2020 12:27pm
So Cal you can ride or surf everyday. I really enjoy the winters here.
stone881
10/15/2020 12:45pm
raddad wrote:
I sold my home in Costa Rica because Minnesota residents aren’t allowed in. So I’m looking anywhere in the world that USA residents are allowed to...
I sold my home in Costa Rica because Minnesota residents aren’t allowed in. So I’m looking anywhere in the world that USA residents are allowed to live and ride for three months. Anywhere in the USA is great too! Florida? California? Or??

Wherever it is it must be close to trail riding/racing and moto tracks. Also have home rentals available. I’d appreciate any ideas you have! Thanks 🙏
Go to Medellin, million times better than Costa Rica. Are you a single man? Then it's a billion times better!
10/15/2020 1:03pm
Panama. Geographically, it's the same as Costa Rica but there is better infrastructure, more reliable utilities, better access to IT communications. The currency there is the US dollar, so there is no need to monitor the exchange rate. I've got a place there and I will retire/ride there one day...
Preston412
10/15/2020 1:58pm
East Orlando, FL will put you by Orlando MX Park and you are an hour from several tracks as well but trails I am not sure about.
Waldo, FL area will put you by Waldo Motorsports Park and a handful of tracks within an hour. For trails, you can go to Ocala National Forest, Hog Waller, Osceola State Park and I am not sure if Waldo still has the trail track open.

Both places have camp sites available. Waldo has several with power and water.
raddad
10/15/2020 3:14pm
Lots of good ideas especially the Kings palace! But a bit more than I’m willing to invest! I really want access to trails also and if there’s a winter hare scrambles series that’d be a bonus. I’ll pm the guys that suggest places that sound good👍
Indy mxer
10/15/2020 7:00pm
Imo I would go to Florida. Lots of tracks, trails and beaches. If you don't need to live right on the coast and go inland a bit, the cost of living is very reasonable. We're a couple years away from retirement and plan on spending winters there. We were looking at houses down there but bought a motorhome instead so we can move around.

Not to mention no state income tax!
10/15/2020 7:04pm
Texas, either DFW or Austin areas tons of tracks in those areas, no stupid covid laws.
10/16/2020 4:45am
As a guy who has lived nearly everywhere in the US, it sure sounds to me like you would appreciate Southern California, mostly because you mentioned that you like trail riding in addition to motocross. If all you wanted was moto, Florida would be great, too. I recommend you look into renting a place in Canyon Lake, CA. You would be an hour or less away from at least 5 motocross tracks I can think of off the top of my head, and with a dual sport bike, the off road trail riding in the area is unlimited. It is a private, gated community, so crime is almost non-existent there. I grew up there, and I sure miss that place.
mxracer828
10/16/2020 5:48am
As a guy who has lived nearly everywhere in the US, it sure sounds to me like you would appreciate Southern California, mostly because you mentioned...
As a guy who has lived nearly everywhere in the US, it sure sounds to me like you would appreciate Southern California, mostly because you mentioned that you like trail riding in addition to motocross. If all you wanted was moto, Florida would be great, too. I recommend you look into renting a place in Canyon Lake, CA. You would be an hour or less away from at least 5 motocross tracks I can think of off the top of my head, and with a dual sport bike, the off road trail riding in the area is unlimited. It is a private, gated community, so crime is almost non-existent there. I grew up there, and I sure miss that place.
Just becareful,canyon lake utilities are all electric. We have a friend that has a pool and there electric bill is roughly 1200 a month. I live right next to it in canyon hills. There is a few riders that live in that community
10/16/2020 6:13am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2020 6:14am
As a guy who has lived nearly everywhere in the US, it sure sounds to me like you would appreciate Southern California, mostly because you mentioned...
mxracer828 wrote:
Just becareful,canyon lake utilities are all electric. We have a friend that has a pool and there electric bill is roughly 1200 a month. I live...
Just becareful,canyon lake utilities are all electric. We have a friend that has a pool and there electric bill is roughly 1200 a month. I live right next to it in canyon hills. There is a few riders that live in that community
Canyon Hills would be good, too, but the security of a gated community might be worth the squeeze to someone with a garage filled with motorcycles in the “9”. For someone that doesn’t have a heated pool, the cost difference of the utilities would be minimal. My mom and dad live there and they pay about $100 a month for electricity.
Rawly
10/16/2020 1:02pm
So Cal for sure ! We need more guys like you. Lots of people bitch and moan about taxes and home prices and are leaving , but you get what you pay for. I am in reasonable driving distance to several nice tracks , mountains , the desert , lakes , and of course the beaches and am also surrounded by Killer mountain biking where I live in Simi Valley. I’m sure that there are other year round playgrounds out there , but ours is pretty bad ass. If you have the money , and the flexibility, an RV with a trailer or rack would be an awesome way to travel around and pick your spot. Good luck on your search , come out and ride with us.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
10/16/2020 1:24pm
Rawly wrote:
So Cal for sure ! We need more guys like you. Lots of people bitch and moan about taxes and home prices and are leaving...
So Cal for sure ! We need more guys like you. Lots of people bitch and moan about taxes and home prices and are leaving , but you get what you pay for. I am in reasonable driving distance to several nice tracks , mountains , the desert , lakes , and of course the beaches and am also surrounded by Killer mountain biking where I live in Simi Valley. I’m sure that there are other year round playgrounds out there , but ours is pretty bad ass. If you have the money , and the flexibility, an RV with a trailer or rack would be an awesome way to travel around and pick your spot. Good luck on your search , come out and ride with us.
Anyone who's watched a Crusty video should check out Ocotillo Wells, Glamis, Dumont Dunes etc.
DuroTools
10/16/2020 2:07pm
If you end up in Florida and want a random riding buddy for a week or two let me know. I wanna escape New England and ride down south for a bit over the winter but my family in Florida live pretty far from any good tracks.
EngIceDave
10/16/2020 2:52pm
Living in Florida is cheap.
Do not go to South Florida, nothing down there.
Look at a map, you will see a diagonal line from Daytona to Tampa, that is I-4 (you're going to hear a lot about it in upcoming days with election), that line is what you want to be along.
The closer to Orlando, just call that "east" and you'll have Orlando MX, The Compound off I-4 in Haines City, and an easy run to Dade City.
Moving west, closer to Tampa, you have faster access to Tampa MX, Dade City and a little more to The Compound and Orlando MX.
Either will give you good access to trails areas.
Tampa has the advantage of more primitive land on Gulf coast, so zipping up and down I-75 can offer many areas once you get to know people and their styles of tracks/trails.

I admit to bias
chasetwo79
10/16/2020 3:16pm
Anywhere from the Bay Area to Tahoe is awesome. I ride year round and get to snowboard all winter. We also have great surfing up here in the winter. There are tracks you can find with the same amount of driving as SoCal open 6 days a week. I go down to SoCal in winter and ride some too, but it’s pretty hard to beat riding on a Saturday and snowboarding or surfing on a Sunday.
lumpy790
10/17/2020 9:10am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Agreed ...... raining or gets cold drive to another location.
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
10/17/2020 11:52am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
Agreed ...... raining or gets cold drive to another location. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/17/454525/s1200_DC417C04_3C85_41B4_8C7C_ABC1BB27E2E3.jpg[/img]
Agreed ...... raining or gets cold drive to another location.
Very nice setup, go where the weather or tracks suit you.
TeamGreen
10/17/2020 2:20pm
raddad wrote:
I sold my home in Costa Rica because Minnesota residents aren’t allowed in. So I’m looking anywhere in the world that USA residents are allowed to...

Ya know...If you did come out to SoCal...well we've got tracks. Plenty of them.
I would "trailer" like others have suggested and I'd check out the entire southwest.
We have off-roading locations that're unbeilevable. You can "off-road" from Glen Helen to Vegas (Technically it's "Dual-Sport"/there are areas along the way where your bike is suppose to be street-legal/Forest Roads). On that ride you get to ride virtually all of the old Barstow to Vegas course.

You can ride on the beach and in the dunes at Pismo Beach (Ca. state off-road riding area)...or...even better...down in Baja I've ridden down beaches for endless miles...
We've got endless trails from The Eastern Sierra and beyond that'll take you as far as you dare. You can ride from Mammoth Lakes, California to Tonopah, Nevada and on to the Reno area from there.

And that's just a sample of what we've got out here.
raddad
10/17/2020 5:27pm
Thanks team green I remember you inviting me to ride out there when I was racing the 40b class here in Minnesota a few years ago. Now I race d23 hare scrambles in the M1 class and moto in CR. I’m kinda leaning in the Cali direction a bit. I can do the trailer deal but I plan to stay at least three months so being in my RV that long? I think if I go west I’d find a base rental house somewhere in the middle and go from there. PM me and maybe we can talk a bitSmile
TeamGreen
10/17/2020 7:18pm
raddad wrote:
Thanks team green I remember you inviting me to ride out there when I was racing the 40b class here in Minnesota a few years ago...
Thanks team green I remember you inviting me to ride out there when I was racing the 40b class here in Minnesota a few years ago. Now I race d23 hare scrambles in the M1 class and moto in CR. I’m kinda leaning in the Cali direction a bit. I can do the trailer deal but I plan to stay at least three months so being in my RV that long? I think if I go west I’d find a base rental house somewhere in the middle and go from there. PM me and maybe we can talk a bitSmile
I completely agree with "where you're at" on this.

PM in-route.

Manny
301w
Fantasy
3584th
10/17/2020 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2020 8:33pm
raddad wrote:

I have 10 acres in Pala , 5 minutes from the track here , close to basically everything riding wise in SoCal , and a small track behind the house , mountain bike riding available in private gated community. Bring a trailer and camp out , no fee
10/17/2020 8:38pm
I agree, SoCal is the call. Great weather, tons of close by tracks and endless offroad riding. I'm sure there are at least a few winter series going as well. Track and offroad races that is... I am towing the toyhauler down in January. I can't fuggin wait!!!!

Post a reply to: Where should I go to live/ride over the winter?

The Latest