Where is the real Barcia.....

Edited Date/Time 10/23/2014 1:03pm
I keep waiting to see the Barcia from 2013. Until mid race Phoenix he was where he had to be. Rode great at round one and was riding well at round 2. Than just fell apart. I keep waiting for him to return to form and I guess kinda got caught up in the Joe Gibbs pump. But he looked terrible at MEC. The guy was the only "elite" rider to really struggle through that triple triple triple. Seems his timing is a little off. I hope he improves for Supercross, because I had high hopes for him to do well.

Going to be an interesting year that's for sure.
|
Forza
10/19/2014 8:44pm
One race guy. And you are already freaking out?
10/19/2014 8:58pm
One race on the Yamaha. But he has not looked good for some time. I guess I just expect more from him. Not such a bad thing.
slipdog
10/19/2014 9:09pm
"That bike is trying to kill me!" -Christophe Pourcel
40Plus_922mx
10/20/2014 12:04am
The real JB is still on a 250f. As soon as he rides a 450 like 450 he will do better.

The Shop

Phillips467
10/20/2014 5:34am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2014 5:36am
I'm not worried about Barcia just yet.With Villopoto gone, I believe it'll take consistency to win the title in '15 and I think he will have that. Everyone has bad days and Barcia had one of those at the MEC, although, all things considered, it wasn't awful.

The Yamaha has been awkward for some guys in the past but Barcia seems really fluid on it and comfortable - he wouldn't have signed if that wasn't the case. I think overall this move will work out for the best and the 'real Barcia' will be back.
MXD
10/20/2014 5:52am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2014 5:53am
does anybody else think barcia is over rated?
I don't. I just think he needs to settle on something that gives him confidence and make small subtle changes from there. From the outside looking in, it seemed like he had major issues with the Honda and was trying to make big changes. When you feel like you're that far off, reality doesn't matter any more. His perception became his reality and he was sure that the bike was his proiblem. A team like JGR seems like a great fit for him because he can walk right into the machine shop with an engineer and say "make it do this" and they can bang it out and test it. I don't think Honda was that flexible. He's got 10 weeks of experimenting and testing. I think he'll be fine.

Furthermore, I'm not sure that anyone with his speed and talent level can ever be "overrated". Maybe once their career is over you can say they underachieved but overrated is impossible at his level IMO.
10/20/2014 5:55am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2014 5:57am
MXD wrote:
I don't. I just think he needs to settle on something that gives him confidence and make small subtle changes from there. From the outside looking...
I don't. I just think he needs to settle on something that gives him confidence and make small subtle changes from there. From the outside looking in, it seemed like he had major issues with the Honda and was trying to make big changes. When you feel like you're that far off, reality doesn't matter any more. His perception became his reality and he was sure that the bike was his proiblem. A team like JGR seems like a great fit for him because he can walk right into the machine shop with an engineer and say "make it do this" and they can bang it out and test it. I don't think Honda was that flexible. He's got 10 weeks of experimenting and testing. I think he'll be fine.

Furthermore, I'm not sure that anyone with his speed and talent level can ever be "overrated". Maybe once their career is over you can say they underachieved but overrated is impossible at his level IMO.
ok then, do you think he has 'under acheived?'

i can't honestly see him being a championship contender in the current crop of riders (indoors or out) - i'd like him to prove me wrong, but he's been a pro for a long time now. Doesn't seem to have quite lived up to the hype in my opinion

Hopefully I'm wrong because it would be great to have another rider up there battling for wins week in week out.
jamma10
10/20/2014 5:56am
No, I think he's possibly more talented than most of his competition, he just lacks focus.

If he sorted the mental side of his racing out he could be immense.
MXD
10/20/2014 5:59am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2014 6:07am
MXD wrote:
I don't. I just think he needs to settle on something that gives him confidence and make small subtle changes from there. From the outside looking...

ok then, do you think he has 'under acheived?' i can't honestly see him being a championship contender in the current crop of riders (indoors or...
ok then, do you think he has 'under acheived?'

i can't honestly see him being a championship contender in the current crop of riders (indoors or out) - i'd like him to prove me wrong, but he's been a pro for a long time now. Doesn't seem to have quite lived up to the hype in my opinion

Hopefully I'm wrong because it would be great to have another rider up there battling for wins week in week out.
I think we have a very small (possibly too small at this point) sample set to look at. For someone to go down as an underachiever, I think their career has to have ended before we can fairly have that discussion. But if that's all I have to go on then yes, I would say to this point he has underachieved.
10/20/2014 6:00am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2014 6:01am
jamma10 wrote:
No, I think he's possibly [i]more[/i] talented than most of his competition, he just lacks focus. If he sorted the mental side of his racing out...
No, I think he's possibly more talented than most of his competition, he just lacks focus.

thats what i was getting at really- he seems to have had alot of hype his whole career, looks great on the videos where he's throwing big whips etc. Yet gets beaten week in, week out by the likes of roczen etc Shows flashes of brilliance/ talent but cant seem to put it together every week

obviously he is a great rider- but like you say he seems to have something missing to be a champion amongst the elite (compare him to roczen who is the full package)

maybe he needs to hire a sports psychologist? if thats his problem (to take him to the next level as a championship contender)

hopefully the yam will be the missing piece of the puzzle
ehr400
10/20/2014 6:12am
I guess 2 championships and 2 wins in your 450 SX rookie season with finishing 2nd place in 2012 in the most stacked 250f class in outdoor history isn't a championship contender right now but you would put guys like Wilson ahead of him? Lol. Ok. Euro views.
davistld01
10/20/2014 6:26am
jamma10 wrote:
No, I think he's possibly [i]more[/i] talented than most of his competition, he just lacks focus. If he sorted the mental side of his racing out...

Maybe he needs Adderall.
10/20/2014 6:44am
Wait for mid season before we start deciding who showed up and who did not.
BobPA
10/20/2014 6:44am
thats what i was getting at really- he seems to have had alot of hype his whole career, looks great on the videos where he's throwing...
thats what i was getting at really- he seems to have had alot of hype his whole career, looks great on the videos where he's throwing big whips etc. Yet gets beaten week in, week out by the likes of roczen etc Shows flashes of brilliance/ talent but cant seem to put it together every week

obviously he is a great rider- but like you say he seems to have something missing to be a champion amongst the elite (compare him to roczen who is the full package)

maybe he needs to hire a sports psychologist? if thats his problem (to take him to the next level as a championship contender)

Kenny beat everyone this summer...barcia was not even there.
JeepnMike
10/20/2014 6:47am
jamma10 wrote:

davistld01 wrote:
Maybe he needs Adderall.
Dang, beat me to it Terry. I bet the team won't forget the TUE Grinning
ehr400
10/20/2014 6:50am
thats what i was getting at really- he seems to have had alot of hype his whole career, looks great on the videos where he's throwing...

BobPA wrote:
Kenny beat everyone this summer...barcia was not even there.
And Barcia has beaten Ken the last series they race in 2012.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/20/2014 6:50am
Perhaps he needs to focus more on going fast and less on how stylish he looks..Is it really that necessary to whip your bike that much off every jump?
10/20/2014 6:59am
ehr400 wrote:
And Barcia has beaten Ken the last series they race in 2012.
Kenny is outdoor champ,you know that???
We are 2014!!
10/20/2014 7:03am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2014 7:10am
as much as i have disliked him, I agree he has skills but needs to get over the whole bambam shit...it's old..... and he can be a danger to be around on the track with the whipping into people thing....think the ama need to address that if it happens again
if he focused on racing the track and not trying to t-bone/ bully everyone i'm sure he'd do better
FroDiddy
10/20/2014 7:09am
The real JB is still on a 250f. As soon as he rides a 450 like 450 he will do better.
I said the same thing to a buddy of mine. Barcia wastes a lot of energy on the 450.
10/20/2014 7:23am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2014 7:25am
ehr400 wrote:
I guess 2 championships and 2 wins in your 450 SX rookie season with finishing 2nd place in 2012 in the most stacked 250f class in...
I guess 2 championships and 2 wins in your 450 SX rookie season with finishing 2nd place in 2012 in the most stacked 250f class in outdoor history isn't a championship contender right now but you would put guys like Wilson ahead of him? Lol. Ok. Euro views.
who would put guys like wilson ahead of him?

putting words in peoples mouths?

how can it be a 'euro'' view if you made it up?

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
10/20/2014 7:29am
Forza wrote:
One race guy. And you are already freaking out?
Agreed. Give the dude some time, he's only been on the bike a couple weeks.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
10/20/2014 7:31am
slipdog wrote:
Laughing

I think the latest version of the new generation Yamaha is much better than the first few years of that bike.
tek14
10/20/2014 7:32am
He will be missing Dunlop works tyres.. slick track, most power and Pirelli..
davistld01
10/20/2014 8:38am
slipdog wrote:
gsxrcr28 wrote:
Laughing

I think the latest version of the new generation Yamaha is much better than the first few years of that bike.
Totally agreed...and with what JGR has at it's disposal, it's the best it can possibly be now. But...how come Justin Brayton, who has jelled with the YZF better than any rider to date & has had his best results to date on it, jumped ship to a bike that has had smack talked about it almost as much as the Yamaha? I'm not a Barcia fan...but as much as the Honda didn't suit his style, I'm thinking the Yamaha might be his thorn in the flesh now.
Pembroke36
10/20/2014 9:21am
slipdog wrote:
gsxrcr28 wrote:
Laughing

davistld01 wrote:
Totally agreed...and with what JGR has at it's disposal, it's the best it can possibly be now. But...how come Justin Brayton, who has jelled with the...
Totally agreed...and with what JGR has at it's disposal, it's the best it can possibly be now. But...how come Justin Brayton, who has jelled with the YZF better than any rider to date & has had his best results to date on it, jumped ship to a bike that has had smack talked about it almost as much as the Yamaha? I'm not a Barcia fan...but as much as the Honda didn't suit his style, I'm thinking the Yamaha might be his thorn in the flesh now.
Was Brayton offered his job back? He might have had to take his new ride just to keep racing.
sozo
10/20/2014 9:21am
I really think the reverse engine bike is "different" when you seat bounce and it will take time to get used to... Other then that he looked great.

Post a reply to: Where is the real Barcia.....

The Latest