Where is Savatgy mentally now?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/4/2018 11:13 PM

We talk about the mental state of riders in the sport a lot. Confidence in your program and the bike are huge evidenced by the many times riders site making changes to what they do during the week or changes to a bike setting.

Since 2016 when savatgy melted his lead in the outdoors, which is when i would say he was at an high all time high in confidence, he has slipped further down the hill mentally. 2017 I feel he was just holding on knowing he should be up top but only to lose at the end and outdoors being having all sorts of highs and lows.

needing to secure a contract for 450's and coupled with a 'relatively' mediocre SX season and a rough start to outdoors, he has to be struggling to show up at this point.

To me his attempt to pull the outside start at Lakewood shows more of a move of desperation rather than a move of confidence knowing his strengths at this track would carry him through the pack.

He's a good guy and i was rooting for him to win SX but his current path seems destined for more struggle

Savatgy's mental game

View Results

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

6/4/2018 11:19 PM

Please dear God get rid of that beard that makes him look like a Troll equivalent. Sorry, someone needed to say it.

|

70 SL90, 74 TS125, 76 YZ80, 77 YZ80,78 YZ100,78 XR75,79 CR125,80 CR125
81 CR125,81 RM125,96 CR500,97 CR250,00 CR250,02 KX250,06 CRF450,11 CRF450
14 KXF450,15 KXF450,14 KXF450,18 FC450,18 350SXF

6/5/2018 12:21 AM

The worlds fastest Amish

|

6/5/2018 12:57 AM

I don't think he's still suffering from the SX championship drama. I'm sure it was devastating at the time, but one regional SX title does not make or break a career. Plenty of guys have shown that. Getting 3 or 4 titles throughout an entire 250 career would be a different story obviously.

The problem for him is he's likely in the 'boring' category like so many others when you look at his value for the 450 class. He's in line with Grant, Bogle, Wilson, etc. He'll definitely show flashes of brilliance but will he contend for titles? not likely.

|

*Anyone but Reed or Webb Crew*

6/5/2018 1:04 AM

The whole crew needs a shot in the arm....I suggest a motivational team-building visit to Hooters.

|

6/5/2018 2:23 AM

poser45xxxxx wrote:

Please dear God get rid of that beard that makes him look like a Troll equivalent. Sorry, someone needed to say it.

Exactly!

|

6/5/2018 2:31 AM

He reminds me so much of dungey, but dungey mental toughness is what made dungey the champion that he is.

|

6/5/2018 4:54 AM

I think he needs a change big time. New trainers, new team etc. Distance himself from all the problems and what not hes had

|

6/5/2018 5:04 AM

poser45xxxxx wrote:

You should drink some monster, bro. Unleash the beast.

|

6/5/2018 5:08 AM

I would love to see him on a solid 450 program. I have a completely random inkling he may replace Bogle at JGR

|

6/5/2018 5:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2018 5:28 AM

dirtworldmx wrote:

The whole crew needs a shot in the arm....I suggest a motivational team-building visit to Hooters.

This, and stop by Costco on the way to pick up a 24 pack of paper towels

|

6/5/2018 5:27 AM

poser45xxxxx wrote:

|

Ed Johnson

6/5/2018 5:34 AM

dirtworldmx wrote:

This, the Hooters Hex is still in effect.

|

6/5/2018 6:02 AM

Needs a change would be cool to see him on tld or star

|

6/5/2018 6:15 AM

Hooters 2016. Add that to your poll.

|

6/5/2018 6:19 AM

Fearo wrote:

I don't think he's still suffering from the SX championship drama. I'm sure it was devastating at the time, but one regional SX title does not make or break a career. Plenty of guys have shown that. Getting 3 or 4 titles throughout an entire 250 career would be a different story obviously.

The problem for him is he's likely in the 'boring' category like so many others when you look at his value for the 450 class. He's in line with Grant, Bogle, Wilson, etc. He'll definitely show flashes of brilliance but will he contend for titles? not likely.

"1 regional SX title does not make or break a career" better hide that fact from the Mookie fan boys on here

|

6/5/2018 7:17 AM

mb wrote:

Hooters 2016. Add that to your poll.

Paper towel disaster 2016

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

6/5/2018 7:26 AM

Kyle_McNab wrote:

He pointed out, off to the 450 class now.

|

6/5/2018 7:31 AM

He needs to mentally change his thought process from “WE” to “I”.... until he realizes it’s himself out there not a village he might start doing better.

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

6/5/2018 8:26 AM

Kyle_McNab wrote:

ML512 wrote:

He pointed out, off to the 450 class now.

Ya I know I was more saying this season. Don’t really understand why he pointed out before AP but hopefully he does well in 450s

|

6/5/2018 9:26 AM

His riding was on point at Lakewood. Fastest qualifier, should have won first moto, good comeback ride from the crash in the first turn in 2nd moto. He can take that away as positives.

To me, from what any of us can see from the outside, he just does not seem to be enjoying things at the races. He's always super-hard on himself even when he's on the podium. Some of that for sure is the "Meanie Jeannie" effect, pretty sure training down there turns into some weird form of Stockholm Syndrome.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

6/5/2018 10:12 AM

With the contract structure at PC, paying for wins and podiums, does Mitch owe Savatgy some money for a mechanical DNF based on the circumstances as to when the bike expired?

|

6/5/2018 10:20 AM

mxtech1 wrote:

With the contract structure at PC, paying for wins and podiums, does Mitch owe Savatgy some money for a mechanical DNF based on the circumstances as to when the bike expired?

Probably not.

|

6/5/2018 10:26 AM

He just needs to get out of the 250 class. He's chasing the little golden snitch that is in the 250 class, you get close to it and next thing you know you're spending your entire career in the class. He needs to be on a 450 next year (I'm pretty sure he pointed out, but I'm not positive). He has a smooth riding style with good technique, and the 450 will probably suit him well.

|

6/5/2018 10:51 AM

Kyle_McNab wrote:

Ya I know I was more saying this season. Don’t really understand why he pointed out before AP but hopefully he does well in 450s

He pointed out because he just finished his 6th year in SX. 2013-2018.

AP just finished his 4th season in SX.

that's besides the whole points threshold deal

|

6/5/2018 11:00 AM

mxtech1 wrote:

I think the best thing would be for mitch to include a little extra money for his next win as a “sorry”.

|

6/5/2018 11:53 AM

mxtech1 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

I think the best thing would be for mitch to include a little extra money for his next win as a “sorry”.

Then Savatgy should kick back money to pro circuit every time he falls or has a brain fart .devil if that was the case he would be riding for free or even owe Mitch money.

|

Ed Johnson

6/5/2018 12:42 PM

DrinkMoreWater wrote:

He reminds me so much of dungey, but dungey mental toughness is what made dungey the champion that he is.

To be fair Dungey wasn't always the mentally tough champion that we saw win the 2017 SX series, in his early years as a pro he seemed to be easily rattled, i.e JLaw 2008. He obviously overcame that and became one of the best ever but my point is there is still plenty of time for Savatgy to learn from these things and be better for it.

|

6/5/2018 1:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2018 1:57 PM

He's mentally right up there with Einstein.

|

6/5/2018 1:59 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

Then Savatgy should kick back money to pro circuit every time he falls or has a brain fart .devil if that was the case he would be riding for free or even owe Mitch money.

His wrecks are his own doing. He can wreck all he wants and is still going to get his base salary, which we are told is structured on the low side. It is an incentive based system.

When you are leading and about to win a moto in a convincing manner and the bike lets go, that's a different conversation that directly relates to lost earnings. I would love to see the clause in the contract that discusses mechanical failures smile

|