Where have the glory days gone

JM485
7/1/2019 12:58pm
I agree whole heartedly I have had the cops called to my house and my grandparents house ( years ago) . Simply because I have had...
I agree whole heartedly I have had the cops called to my house and my grandparents house ( years ago) . Simply because I have had bikes in the bed of the truck or have fired a bike up in my front yard.On top of that Living in the country doesn't mean anything anymore. Recently the cops stopped an autistic kid at the end of our dirt road. It being a town where everyone knows everyone , my neighbors knew that the kid has a development delay , yet they still call. Mind you this kid is not ripping up and down the road.He goes to a dirt lot thats public land , and goes in circles. I stopped to talk to the cops and let them know of his condition , and they made it a point to "understand what I'm saying , but your neighborhood is calling him in constantly". They then called in two more cop cars ,and waited for the kids parents to get home to cite them.
kb228 wrote:
Agree as well. Guy diagonal to my house calls them even if i ride out to the end of the driveway to load up to go...
Agree as well. Guy diagonal to my house calls them even if i ride out to the end of the driveway to load up to go ride. Dude had a speed trap put on my road 4 days after i got my first street bike. Hell he called the cops on me for parking my truck on the side of the road so my buddy could get his out of my driveway in 10 mins to leave.

Some people are real dickheads. No fun zone for those miserable pricks.
When I was just getting into riding as a kid back in early 2000s on my little XR50 we had a small track in the back of my uncles house. We always had a rule about running stock exhaust and only riding in the afternoons so nobody would be disturbed, but holy hell man we could pretty much always count on someone calling the damn cops on us. They’d usually just get there and laugh once they saw what was going on (a few kids and maybe an adult or two on xr50s that are quieter than lawn mowers), but the fact remains that some insufferable cunt/dick still felt the need to call them. People like that can piss off and die.

It amazes me how hard it is for people to mind their own fucking business. It’s easy to do, costs nothing, and is appreciated by everyone around you, yet people still can’t seem to let people be and just STFU about things that don’t effect them.
kkawboy14
7/1/2019 1:19pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
When I was a kid you could just ride around the neighborhood. There literally is no place for kids to just ride mini bikes, go carts...
When I was a kid you could just ride around the neighborhood.

There literally is no place for kids to just ride mini bikes, go carts or dirt bikes easily and everyday.

Riding now is a half day event!
endurox wrote:
Depends where one lives. 11 minutes to local track or 45 minutes to closest open area for me. The 4 stroke noise is a big issue...
Depends where one lives. 11 minutes to local track or 45 minutes to closest open area for me. The 4 stroke noise is a big issue IMO. E bicycles will be as big as dirt bikes were in the late 60’s thru late 70’s.
That was my point, we lived in Florida and could ride right in the neighborhood. Where can anyone do that now?

And our Dad didn’t even have to be around
kkawboy14
7/1/2019 1:20pm
I agree whole heartedly I have had the cops called to my house and my grandparents house ( years ago) . Simply because I have had...
I agree whole heartedly I have had the cops called to my house and my grandparents house ( years ago) . Simply because I have had bikes in the bed of the truck or have fired a bike up in my front yard.On top of that Living in the country doesn't mean anything anymore. Recently the cops stopped an autistic kid at the end of our dirt road. It being a town where everyone knows everyone , my neighbors knew that the kid has a development delay , yet they still call. Mind you this kid is not ripping up and down the road.He goes to a dirt lot thats public land , and goes in circles. I stopped to talk to the cops and let them know of his condition , and they made it a point to "understand what I'm saying , but your neighborhood is calling him in constantly". They then called in two more cop cars ,and waited for the kids parents to get home to cite them.
kb228 wrote:
Agree as well. Guy diagonal to my house calls them even if i ride out to the end of the driveway to load up to go...
Agree as well. Guy diagonal to my house calls them even if i ride out to the end of the driveway to load up to go ride. Dude had a speed trap put on my road 4 days after i got my first street bike. Hell he called the cops on me for parking my truck on the side of the road so my buddy could get his out of my driveway in 10 mins to leave.

Some people are real dickheads. No fun zone for those miserable pricks.
JM485 wrote:
When I was just getting into riding as a kid back in early 2000s on my little XR50 we had a small track in the back...
When I was just getting into riding as a kid back in early 2000s on my little XR50 we had a small track in the back of my uncles house. We always had a rule about running stock exhaust and only riding in the afternoons so nobody would be disturbed, but holy hell man we could pretty much always count on someone calling the damn cops on us. They’d usually just get there and laugh once they saw what was going on (a few kids and maybe an adult or two on xr50s that are quieter than lawn mowers), but the fact remains that some insufferable cunt/dick still felt the need to call them. People like that can piss off and die.

It amazes me how hard it is for people to mind their own fucking business. It’s easy to do, costs nothing, and is appreciated by everyone around you, yet people still can’t seem to let people be and just STFU about things that don’t effect them.
That’s why they move into Deed Restricted neighborhoods, they love rules!
byke
7/1/2019 1:27pm
We lost a really nice RC flying field where a bunch of people moved near it and then started complaining about the noise.

The Shop

RCMXracing
7/1/2019 1:28pm
Don’t disagree with what you say. Society is changing though. The cities and the suburbs have grown, rural areas are shrinking and they are the last bastion of free range kids. My son had a BB gun, went over to a friends house with it. Guess how that turned out?

The kids WANT these devices and want to live this way. I don’t think there’s a way to stop it. Sure you can ban devices for your kids, ban Netflix, etc. Now they aren’t in line with society, possibly oddball outcasts. I dunno.

One way to help is organized events. They will GTFO of the house for organized events that sound cool. They need spoon fed entertainment. Lack of imagination and ready made entertainment keeps them indoors. And air conditioning.
byke
7/1/2019 1:31pm
It's just a risk you take in a free society.
RCMXracing
7/1/2019 1:59pm
They took his BB gun. Went over to get it and got a dose of finger wagging and self righteousness. Same shit happened with no helmet on a bicycle. Different Helicopter parents. Same crap.

It’s a fact, kids can’t be kids and roam free like the old days and it’s a serious problem. They don’t learn how to problem solve. That’s why 30 yo’s are living at home.
kkawboy14
7/1/2019 2:02pm
RCMXracing wrote:
They took his BB gun. Went over to get it and got a dose of finger wagging and self righteousness. Same shit happened with no helmet...
They took his BB gun. Went over to get it and got a dose of finger wagging and self righteousness. Same shit happened with no helmet on a bicycle. Different Helicopter parents. Same crap.

It’s a fact, kids can’t be kids and roam free like the old days and it’s a serious problem. They don’t learn how to problem solve. That’s why 30 yo’s are living at home.
People are worried about them getting hurt but have no problem aborting them!
byke
7/1/2019 2:16pm
And the people that force others to have kids refuse to help them once they're born. It's a strange world, but it makes a lot more sense when you realize it's not actually about the issue at hand and more about doing whatever you can to piss off the other team.
byke
7/1/2019 2:25pm
Legislators against abortion aren't exactly at the forefront of providing social services, so they force people to have kids and then they don't offer much help once they're born. Further, legislators on either team are dead inside and they don't actually care about kids, they just like pissing off the people they hate. Hate and theft takes a much higher priority than actually doing anything to help the country.

And to the two of you, please don't suck me into an off topic discussion and then bitch about it going off topic.
tp4
7/1/2019 2:36pm
byke wrote:
And the people that force others to have kids refuse to help them once they're born. It's a strange world, but it makes a lot more...
And the people that force others to have kids refuse to help them once they're born. It's a strange world, but it makes a lot more sense when you realize it's not actually about the issue at hand and more about doing whatever you can to piss off the other team.
huh..who forces you to have kids..
dude...walk away.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
7/1/2019 2:40pm
byke wrote:
And the people that force others to have kids refuse to help them once they're born. It's a strange world, but it makes a lot more...
tp4 wrote:
dude...walk away.
byke
7/1/2019 2:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 2:45pm
Nevermind. I'm getting trolled by rednecks. Please go back to dem good ol' days.
CivBars
7/1/2019 3:10pm
Off topic but has anyone else noticed that they have given an up vote or a down vote on a post that they've never even seen before? I think I've been hacked. lol I was reading through this thread and came across some activity from my account on a post I had never seen. Huh
Minus_2
7/1/2019 3:49pm
I've already posted this somewhere on another thread but as a younger dude (early 20's) the main reason I don't go out and ride anymore is because of money and the diminishing places to ride around my area. I am a junior in college, and boy does school take everything from you. Had to sell my bike, and over time I slowly became more depressed that I couldn't ride or do similar activities. I couldn't fulfill my weekend warrior duty anymore. The money from my part time job just gets taken by other things life demands. It really does suck sitting on the sidelines and watching things decline at the same time. Once college is over I am pushing mega hard to buy another bike so I can ride again with everybody else.
7/1/2019 4:13pm
One reason is, although I might be wrong, in the old days a lot of us got hooked by riding on land that was not governed in our back yards etc., nowdays that is mostly gone and the riding spots are expensive and a long comute.
Dropbear
7/1/2019 4:18pm
E-mtb is growing around here. Some kids are getting them and are on the local trails. Quiet so no complaints yet, except for the odd Luddite non assist mtb’er. They are ahead of me with their understanding of using the apps for programming and flashing, so they get that techno crossover. They’re good kids and help me with that side of it.

I’ve got one but that’s so I can get my tired old arse up the hills at 55. I can still whip most of them on the downhills. Sadly, Not motorcycles but at least they’re out. When the cost comes down I’m sure there will be more.
Dropbear
7/1/2019 4:22pm
We used to ride motocross here until we were banned , now only e bikes, no problem.
byke
7/1/2019 4:27pm
Cost is the only thing keeping me away a nice e-mtb. I paid $2k for my dirt bike and that was ten years ago, so...a bit on the thrifty side over here.
Dropbear
7/1/2019 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 4:45pm
byke wrote:
Cost is the only thing keeping me away a nice e-mtb. I paid $2k for my dirt bike and that was ten years ago, so...a bit...
Cost is the only thing keeping me away a nice e-mtb. I paid $2k for my dirt bike and that was ten years ago, so...a bit on the thrifty side over here.
Best money I’ve spent for years. My hips were going on a regular bike, would ache like hell. No problem now.
ctbale
7/1/2019 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 4:56pm
I am a child of the 1970s. An hour ago let my buddys 12 year old boy ride one of my old ct70s around his yard. His first ride ever. Eyes wide open and his expression was priceless. gave him a taste for it I hope!!!
crusher773
7/1/2019 6:37pm
PJRAUS wrote:
I used to think that it couldnt possibly be that...I mean how could a young boy watch other young boys ripping around a track on one...
I used to think that it couldnt possibly be that...I mean how could a young boy watch other young boys ripping around a track on one of todays awesome mini bikes and not be totally gobsmacked and desperate to do the same thing? I mean how is that even possible?
But Im taking notice now and seeing it for myself ALL THE TIME !!
Was talking to a lady and her son at the track the other day..son has a new yz85..hes a good kid..good personality..not interested in racing but loves riding his bike..thats fine....his brother....sat in the car the entire time they were there and played video games!! Wtf!!

Met this bloke...first time at the track..he had an oldish off road bike and his 2 kids had oldish play bikes...he basically had to order them to get out of the car...they didn't wanna ride....they can ride at home but dont...he bought some old bikes for them in the hope that they would love it and wanna ride or race all the time...said he would love to get back into it himself but it was dependent on the kids wanting to...I felt so sorry for him..

While all the reasons that people think the sport is dying are valid and very much the reason for those affected by that particular problem.....I have to finally admit that young people are just not interested any more..

I was stunned to find out recently that one of the biggest sports now is video gaming...gamers make big money from contests and sponsors...the video games are played on line and hundreds of thousands of people sit at their computers or whatever and watch these games being played out by the invisible players...ask any kid..theyll tell you all about it..
People actually pay to be online spectators of video games!! For fucks sake!!

Im ramping up my mid life crisis to the max right now...got 4 bikes now...going to get a new yz 125 and 250f in about October and after that a new ktm 85 big wheel!!
Never had a bike till i was 15 and got my first job...never had a mini bike, so fuck it! Im small enough and light enough to be comfortable on a 85 big wheel ,so Im damn well going to get one and enjoy the shit out of it while the good times last.
Im 53 and I truly believe that I will see this sport disappear in my lifetime!
Beautiful. Good on ya. But there will always be some of us with kids silly enough to ride dirt bikes. Riding dirt bikes is like sex...
Beautiful. Good on ya.
But there will always be some of us with kids silly enough to ride dirt bikes.
Riding dirt bikes is like sex. If it wasn’t so much fun no one would be silly enough to do it
PJRAUS wrote:
I used to pretty much hate mini bike riders...little pricks getting everything given to them... But now I actually actally admire the ones that get out...
I used to pretty much hate mini bike riders...little pricks getting everything given to them...
But now I actually actally admire the ones that get out there and ride their dirt bikes, even race their dirt bikes...kids like that are becoming rare nowdays...they probably cop shit from the the other kids at school for not being one of the cool social media heroes or video game stars...
The world has gone bat shit crazy!
Yep my kid gets shit at school because he doesn't spend all his time playing fortnite. He is 12 and we don't think the shoot em up games are appropriate at that age and don't even have a gaming console newer than a PS2. He tells other kids he has better things to do like ride his dirt bike and play baseball. He just got a smartphone because of straight As for 3 years but he is on a short leash with it. Most of the kids at his school do nothing but play video games. He is smart enough to be a little more big picture and realize that isn't real life and it will never get him anywhere. He has gotten way more addicted to riding in the last year and we go all the time and it's great. A huge part of the issues with all this gaming and stuff is just lazy parents these days who let kids do nothing but play games and run the show.
crusher773
7/1/2019 7:00pm
byke wrote:
tp4 wrote:
dude...walk away.
RichieW13 wrote:
You don't want to have kids be an adult and don't get anyone pregnant simple solution.
7/1/2019 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 7:39pm
It is not just motocross. It is everything. I raced karts in the 1990s...which were considered the glory days of karting in the US. Half the kart tracks are gone...and the number of people racing is 1/3 what it was. How about skiing? Our local ski resort can barely stay in business. Tickets are 3x what they used to be, but only 1/4 the people on the mountain. Windsurfing? Same thing. Dead now. How about road cycling. In the 70s and 80s they had to break the junior classes in two because there were too many entries. Today....30 is a good turnout. It is just too much work, to painful, and too expensive. It is a combination of technology, economics, and culture.
Dropbear
7/1/2019 9:41pm
I guess the discovery of sex, along with cars and booze muted a lot of MX careers. 😀
PJRAUS
7/2/2019 12:13am
Dropbear wrote:
I guess the discovery of sex, along with cars and booze muted a lot of MX careers. 😀
It used to be called the furry magnet...these days its a waxed magnet!
PJRAUS
7/2/2019 12:15am
Beautiful. Good on ya. But there will always be some of us with kids silly enough to ride dirt bikes. Riding dirt bikes is like sex...
Beautiful. Good on ya.
But there will always be some of us with kids silly enough to ride dirt bikes.
Riding dirt bikes is like sex. If it wasn’t so much fun no one would be silly enough to do it
PJRAUS wrote:
I used to pretty much hate mini bike riders...little pricks getting everything given to them... But now I actually actally admire the ones that get out...
I used to pretty much hate mini bike riders...little pricks getting everything given to them...
But now I actually actally admire the ones that get out there and ride their dirt bikes, even race their dirt bikes...kids like that are becoming rare nowdays...they probably cop shit from the the other kids at school for not being one of the cool social media heroes or video game stars...
The world has gone bat shit crazy!
crusher773 wrote:
Yep my kid gets shit at school because he doesn't spend all his time playing fortnite. He is 12 and we don't think the shoot em...
Yep my kid gets shit at school because he doesn't spend all his time playing fortnite. He is 12 and we don't think the shoot em up games are appropriate at that age and don't even have a gaming console newer than a PS2. He tells other kids he has better things to do like ride his dirt bike and play baseball. He just got a smartphone because of straight As for 3 years but he is on a short leash with it. Most of the kids at his school do nothing but play video games. He is smart enough to be a little more big picture and realize that isn't real life and it will never get him anywhere. He has gotten way more addicted to riding in the last year and we go all the time and it's great. A huge part of the issues with all this gaming and stuff is just lazy parents these days who let kids do nothing but play games and run the show.
Thats good to hear
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/2/2019 3:45am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 4:08am
It's not an either/or question. Sex Ed should be highly stressed regularly and early starting at about 10 years old. Access to contraception should be easier with condom machines in middle and high schools and birth control available for a very low price at alot of places with a prescription that lasts for years if there are no complications. Abortion and plan B have been taking up the slack of a lack of dialog about not getting pregnant in this country.

Also, Father's (or mothers) that are not in the life of the child at least 50% of the time should be required to participate in community service with an emphasis on children of the age of their children at least a few hours a week. If they skip out on child support or time with the child this burden goes up.
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
7/2/2019 6:54am
I'm 20. I got my first bike when I was 12. From that moment onwards there was not much I'd choose over riding my bike. Still to this day, when most my friends would rather spend the weekend partying, i'll stay in to get up early to go ride in the morning. I may be an anomaly, but there are some of us out there
Alex.434
7/2/2019 7:37am
I come from a long work history in/around the motorsports and action sports industries, but now work in gaming + esports. Yeah, the video game stuff. I'm in Europe currently for 2 weeks for an esports competition.

It's huge, huge huge huge business.

As stated in this thread, most non-online activities are showing a decrease in youth participation. On the plane over to Europe just now I was reading a Newsweek article about the addictive properties of online behaviors via social media, online gaming, and micro transactions. Younger generations who've grown up with this new 'style' of online behavior are being seduced by the same mental triggers that are prevalent in all forms of addiction (like gambling and alcohol), but you know... they are children.... Instagram likes, YouTube clicks, loot box 'prizes', etc all are tailored to produce this result.

Tough situation. I don't have the answer other than it is't going away anytime soon and I fully accept in another 20 years when I'm 60 I'll be that 'weird old guy that rides bikes'.

Side tangent: I always find it hilarious people say 'HOW CAN YOU WATCH SOMEONE ELSE PLAY VIDEO GAMES?!?! THAT'S ABSURD' but uh.. watch other people play baseball, football, cooking shows, supercross, etc all on TV without a peep. Same thing mate. You are literally watching someone else partake in an activity that you could be doing yourself... but you enjoy watching the best of the best do it as 'entertainment' or 'education'.

Post a reply to: Where have the glory days gone

The Latest