Where have the glory days gone

flymoto
Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 10:57am
After seeing the local pro strategy topic it got me thinking why is motorcycling in general so shafted

Back in the day, kids would ride bikes anywhere. There would be stacked classes even with a much smaller population. More tracks, more riders, bigger prize money but with less people around. So how does that work? Have we all just gone soft? Yeh sure bikes and parts were cheaper but wages was also less. Is it just progression of bikes, people and manurfactures pushing the envelope so much everything costs a bomb now?

I see huge training complex’s in the US with kids riding everyday, but for why? Do the parents not see there is no future?

It’s not even motocross, road racing is the same. So where does it go from here? It’s a good job there’s still a lot of weekend warriors like us buying the bikes and keeping the stores open. Just one day in the future ,I do wonder if motocross will even exist.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/30/2019 2:31pm
Wages have stagnated in adjusted dollars. Kids are glued to their phones. Extreme sports are dying and unless something radical happens right now, there will not be any motocross in 20 years.
I'm hoping the electric revolution will save our sport. I think it's our best chance.
Drtbykr
6/30/2019 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2019 3:07pm
Falcon wrote:
Wages have stagnated in adjusted dollars. Kids are glued to their phones. Extreme sports are dying and unless something radical happens right now, there will not...
Wages have stagnated in adjusted dollars. Kids are glued to their phones. Extreme sports are dying and unless something radical happens right now, there will not be any motocross in 20 years.
I'm hoping the electric revolution will save our sport. I think it's our best chance.
I agree. Young viewers want to see numbers and electronic technology.

Also a lot more on board action, simulation.

Don’t know anyone that owns an F1 team or even car 😁, and there is almost zero passing.
But the technology, graphics, technical dollars and technology draw people to it.

MotoGP is pretty good at it.
Think Tesla stuff only on two wheels.
And every racer gets a participation trophy. 👏👏👏😁
Dropbear
6/30/2019 3:12pm
We are at a crossroads with technology. People don’t want to buy into old technology (ice) and new (e) is slow to get off the ground. Not helping things and there are a multitude of other issues affecting motor racing in general.
kkawboy14
6/30/2019 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2019 3:24pm
When I was a kid you could just ride around the neighborhood.

There literally is no place for kids to just ride mini bikes, go carts or dirt bikes easily and everyday.

Riding now is a half day event!

The Shop

ATKpilot99
6/30/2019 3:27pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
When I was a kid you could just ride around the neighborhood. There literally is no place for kids to just ride mini bikes, go carts...

There literally is no place for kids to just ride mini bikes, go carts or dirt bikes easily and everyday.

Yep . It seemed like everyone had a dirt bike when I was in school, and there was no shortage of places to ride.
Dropbear
6/30/2019 3:29pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
When I was a kid you could just ride around the neighborhood. There literally is no place for kids to just ride mini bikes, go carts...

True. I hoped my son would ride, but the effort to get everything ready and the drive to the track, paperwork etc. bored him. Fair enough, when I got my bike as a kid I had a track in my back yard. No way his mum or the neighbors would allow that.
DKmxFAN
6/30/2019 4:04pm
kkawboy14 wrote:

I agree with you we used to ride all over hell and get in minimal trouble. The cops would talk to my old man but he didn’t really care because when he was a kid that’s just what u did. They would have us push our bikes “home” or at least till they left. If your riding a 450 down the ditches now it’s a big no no. I started riding in my yard, ditches, fields, roads... then moved to the track. These kids have no chance, but you can ride four wheelers in the ditch.
Drtbykr
6/30/2019 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2019 4:11pm
kkawboy14 wrote:

Dropbear wrote:
True. I hoped my son would ride, but the effort to get everything ready and the drive to the track, paperwork etc. bored him. Fair enough...
True. I hoped my son would ride, but the effort to get everything ready and the drive to the track, paperwork etc. bored him. Fair enough, when I got my bike as a kid I had a track in my back yard. No way his mum or the neighbors would allow that.
I remember mini bikes with lawn mower engines.

Can’t sell them now that it’s a Deano replica, or nothing, or a new phone.
So it’s usually, due to $, nothing.
Motodave15
6/30/2019 4:23pm
NIMBYISM and people generally age 40+ have caused the glory days to disapper!

- Us people 30 and younger, cannot ride anywhere without getting a ticket
- land to use for fun, is almost impossible to find unless you drive almost 2 hrs away.
- cost prohibited.
- tree huggers
- people who move next to a off-roading area (local) then complain about sound and dust
- extreme litigation (Commen sense isnt so common)
- 100 miles of stuff blocked off, for one flower or bug that would be decimated if a wild-fire hit.
ElliotB16
6/30/2019 4:34pm
Side by sides have gotten popular in the last few years. Times change I guess
motogrady
6/30/2019 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2019 6:54pm
ElliotB16 wrote:
It's not just moto.
Back in the 70s, the golden years, tennis was big also. Conners, Borg, Ashe, Laver.

You could ride a lot of places, but empty courts were hard to find. There was a kind of gentlemens agreement on the public courts, if someone was waiting you played for 45 minutes and gave the court up.

Now, I rarely see anyone out there hitting balls.
There's a freaking clay court one town over and I've
never seen a person on them.
We would have killed to play on clay back then.

The side by sides, taking away from the moto scene is real. Went by Morgantown Mororsports last week. 80% 4 wheelers 20% motorcycles.
And thats being generous.

Ya, the 4by4s are hurting us, but that ain't the only thing going on out there
6/30/2019 6:49pm
How many people grew up with mini bikes that don’t put their kid on a mini bike?

Also, any kind of two wheel bike was cool back in the day. Now every kid needs a full PC Super mini aka race bike. How in the hell do you expect places to be accepting to dirt bikes if everyone has a loud race 2 stroke. We need the Xr100 back.
Timo_2824
6/30/2019 7:03pm
I give my son rides in my yard all the time, just did today on my FX and TTR. Gotta get into a cool neighborhood and you're good to go! He'll be riding one of those little electric trials bikes in a year or so.
Timo_2824
6/30/2019 7:07pm
How many people grew up with mini bikes that don’t put their kid on a mini bike? Also, any kind of two wheel bike was cool...
How many people grew up with mini bikes that don’t put their kid on a mini bike?

Also, any kind of two wheel bike was cool back in the day. Now every kid needs a full PC Super mini aka race bike. How in the hell do you expect places to be accepting to dirt bikes if everyone has a loud race 2 stroke. We need the Xr100 back.
Maybe a crf110 or 125?

swtwtwtw
6/30/2019 7:13pm
ElliotB16 wrote:
This. Where I’m at, kids could ride all they want like I did 50 years ago, but they’re not interested.
Premix
6/30/2019 7:14pm
Time, money, and technology.

Everyone is busy as hell, prepping the bikes, making the trek to the track, and cleaning everything after is time consuming.

The sport itself it a huge money pit if you’re doing it at even a semi serious weekend warrior. It’s all money out. You literally aren’t going to “make” money or even break even doing it, EVER. Gas, oil, tires, filters, tear offs, fluids, wear parts. Not to mention if/when you get hurt from track owners building ridiculous jumps or poorly maintaining the track, that hospital bill is going to SUCK.

Motorcycling itself will always be around, but the niche of motocross is on its way out. There’s no bike or technology going to save it. Sorry.
AngryBear
6/30/2019 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2019 8:56pm
i'm mostly being redundant, but as mentioned before, kids are doing other things. popularity of gaming was the setup, phones allowing it to literally be 24/7 was the final blow. its not just moto as others have mentioned, look even at bicycles.

i had bmx bikes, then mtb's. the mtb industry is being propped up by 35+yr olds that can afford $7k rides. i could go on and on for my quest to get kids some knock around , non race/bmx, bikes that weren't junk and didn't cost me a fortune to build. that market just isn't there. we live in a neighborhood FULL of kids and my guys (6&8) are the only ones that regularly ride. we have a legit track in our back yard. you'd think there would be 20kids on it every day. nope. my two are putting in solo hours on it daily.

the only kids i see riding mx or even bicycles hardly are those who's dads did it, and even that is more and more rare. not to sound like the old dude talking about walking uphill both ways to school 'back in the day', but the level of engagement going on with things like youtube/fortnite make the OG nintendo days of the 80's look like nothing.
SwingHard
6/30/2019 10:21pm
The Fun factor is gone!! The current landscape is all about the Parents being ultra competitive and not allowing little Johnny to just enjoy riding his minibike! Gotta Coach him up, go faster, jump farther,let's get him a Cobra and a riding coach!
Hell my Dad sat on the tailgate of his truck drinking "Schlitz" all day,the only time he talked to me was to ask if I was hungry or if I needed more gas.
Just let em ride and stay out of the way!
PJRAUS
6/30/2019 10:56pm
ElliotB16 wrote:
swtwtwtw wrote:
This. Where I’m at, kids could ride all they want like I did 50 years ago, but they’re not interested.
I used to think that it couldnt possibly be that...I mean how could a young boy watch other young boys ripping around a track on one of todays awesome mini bikes and not be totally gobsmacked and desperate to do the same thing? I mean how is that even possible?
But Im taking notice now and seeing it for myself ALL THE TIME !!
Was talking to a lady and her son at the track the other day..son has a new yz85..hes a good kid..good personality..not interested in racing but loves riding his bike..thats fine....his brother....sat in the car the entire time they were there and played video games!! Wtf!!

Met this bloke...first time at the track..he had an oldish off road bike and his 2 kids had oldish play bikes...he basically had to order them to get out of the car...they didn't wanna ride....they can ride at home but dont...he bought some old bikes for them in the hope that they would love it and wanna ride or race all the time...said he would love to get back into it himself but it was dependent on the kids wanting to...I felt so sorry for him..

While all the reasons that people think the sport is dying are valid and very much the reason for those affected by that particular problem.....I have to finally admit that young people are just not interested any more..

I was stunned to find out recently that one of the biggest sports now is video gaming...gamers make big money from contests and sponsors...the video games are played on line and hundreds of thousands of people sit at their computers or whatever and watch these games being played out by the invisible players...ask any kid..theyll tell you all about it..
People actually pay to be online spectators of video games!! For fucks sake!!

Im ramping up my mid life crisis to the max right now...got 4 bikes now...going to get a new yz 125 and 250f in about October and after that a new ktm 85 big wheel!!
Never had a bike till i was 15 and got my first job...never had a mini bike, so fuck it! Im small enough and light enough to be comfortable on a 85 big wheel ,so Im damn well going to get one and enjoy the shit out of it while the good times last.
Im 53 and I truly believe that I will see this sport disappear in my lifetime!
Dropbear
6/30/2019 11:12pm
All sports are affected really. That’s why kids that show any ability at all are signed to teams and contracts at an early age before they get totally distracted by online games and social media. The viability of these multimillion dollars sports depend on it.
MBR
6/30/2019 11:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2019 11:59pm
It is not about money or places to ride. Mobile games, movies and social media are just too addictive, easy to access and fun. This is during the first 250 moto last year at Glen Helen. People are just not interested on motocross or things outside internet anymore. Sad but true. It was still possible see people of all ages interested in motocross at Loretta’s as there was no cellular reception Wink
7/1/2019 1:11am
Some kids parents just dont have the time to take them out as the dad is too busy trying to decipher premix, engine oil recommendations and the atomic weight of race gas Vs pump gas
Dropbear
7/1/2019 1:27am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 1:41am
Some kids parents just dont have the time to take them out as the dad is too busy trying to decipher premix, engine oil recommendations and...
Some kids parents just dont have the time to take them out as the dad is too busy trying to decipher premix, engine oil recommendations and the atomic weight of race gas Vs pump gas
7/1/2019 2:04am
ElliotB16 wrote:
swtwtwtw wrote:
PJRAUS wrote:
I used to think that it couldnt possibly be that...I mean how could a young boy watch other young boys ripping around a track on one...
I used to think that it couldnt possibly be that...I mean how could a young boy watch other young boys ripping around a track on one of todays awesome mini bikes and not be totally gobsmacked and desperate to do the same thing? I mean how is that even possible?
Was talking to a lady and her son at the track the other day..son has a new yz85..hes a good kid..good personality..not interested in racing but loves riding his bike..thats fine....his brother....sat in the car the entire time they were there and played video games!! Wtf!!

Met this bloke...first time at the track..he had an oldish off road bike and his 2 kids had oldish play bikes...he basically had to order them to get out of the car...they didn't wanna ride....they can ride at home but dont...he bought some old bikes for them in the hope that they would love it and wanna ride or race all the time...said he would love to get back into it himself but it was dependent on the kids wanting to...I felt so sorry for him..

While all the reasons that people think the sport is dying are valid and very much the reason for those affected by that particular problem.....I have to finally admit that young people are just not interested any more..

I was stunned to find out recently that one of the biggest sports now is video gaming...gamers make big money from contests and sponsors...the video games are played on line and hundreds of thousands of people sit at their computers or whatever and watch these games being played out by the invisible players...ask any kid..theyll tell you all about it..

Im ramping up my mid life crisis to the max right now...got 4 bikes now...going to get a new yz 125 and 250f in about October and after that a new ktm 85 big wheel!!
Never had a bike till i was 15 and got my first job...never had a mini bike, so fuck it! Im small enough and light enough to be comfortable on a 85 big wheel ,so Im damn well going to get one and enjoy the shit out of it while the good times last.
Beautiful. Good on ya.
But there will always be some of us with kids silly enough to ride dirt bikes.
Riding dirt bikes is like sex. If it wasn’t so much fun no one would be silly enough to do it
PJRAUS
7/1/2019 3:06am
swtwtwtw wrote:
PJRAUS wrote:
I used to think that it couldnt possibly be that...I mean how could a young boy watch other young boys ripping around a track on one...

Beautiful. Good on ya. But there will always be some of us with kids silly enough to ride dirt bikes. Riding dirt bikes is like sex...
Beautiful. Good on ya.
But there will always be some of us with kids silly enough to ride dirt bikes.
Riding dirt bikes is like sex. If it wasn’t so much fun no one would be silly enough to do it
I used to pretty much hate mini bike riders...little pricks getting everything given to them...
But now I actually actally admire the ones that get out there and ride their dirt bikes, even race their dirt bikes...kids like that are becoming rare nowdays...they probably cop shit from the the other kids at school for not being one of the cool social media heroes or video game stars...
The world has gone bat shit crazy!
kb228
7/1/2019 3:15am
Its expensive. Health insurance doesnt cover motocross accidents. Bikes cost at least $2000. A set of gear is almost $1000. Taking a whole day to go ride is hard to do with family obligations. Thats just for motocross.

Lets look at road racing. You need a $3000 bike(and hope its even safe to ride at that low price. You need a $1000 1 piece suit. A snell rated helmet. Those cost $500+. Road racing gloves $100+. Boots $300+. Oh lets not forget, 1 track day costs $200! Also, if you wreck a supersport, its totaled. Theyre not like dirtbikes where you pick it up and go again.

These activites require a lot of effort to participate.
GuyWithABike
Fantasy
2278th
7/1/2019 3:36am
MBR wrote:
It is not about money or places to ride. Mobile games, movies and social media are just too addictive, easy to access and fun. This is...
It is not about money or places to ride. Mobile games, movies and social media are just too addictive, easy to access and fun. This is during the first 250 moto last year at Glen Helen. People are just not interested on motocross or things outside internet anymore. Sad but true. It was still possible see people of all ages interested in motocross at Loretta’s as there was no cellular reception Wink
Cell phones have literally destroyed everything cool in all aspects of life......yet here I am using my cellphone to post this after ordering some Rocky Mountain Atv parts on my phone, and checking out a handful of dirt bike sites all day. CheerfulHuhDry
Excaliburbmx
7/1/2019 3:39am
Video games attract the lazy people. Not all young kids are lazy and not interested.
Same goes for Bmx lots of kids don’t even ride bicycles anymore.
flymoto
7/1/2019 5:55am
Some good points here. I think the nails been hit on the head with games and phones. Back in my days 15-20 years ago we just played round on bikes, had fun, now I see no kids out round the block.

But there’s probably so many other factors, that have all just added up and took its toll on moto, i see the only kids coming through these days are the the dads kids who used to ride.

As for electric I see that as the only way we are going to progress as a sport with a ever growing population and less space than ever.
lumpy790
7/1/2019 6:16am
IMO The recession massively hurt everything (including factory contingency $) and people had a scrimp on spending money to keep floating. Wages are still lower and People are still scared and not spending like they did in the good old days.

Post a reply to: Where have the glory days gone

The Latest