Where has MA800 been?

huck
Edited Date/Time 6/26/2017 8:58pm
Seems like this would have been a good year for Mike to be mixing it up in the US Nationals.
|
Canadad
6/26/2017 2:14pm
colintrax wrote:
Kicking ass in Canada
Not sure about kicking ass but he looked significantly better this weekend as he recovers from his supercross injuries.
Question
6/26/2017 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2017 2:17pm
Canada, riding great and his gear combo he had on the podium this weekend looks awesome !
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/26/2017 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2017 2:41pm
Question wrote:
Canada, riding great and his gear combo he had on the podium this weekend looks awesome !

The Shop

6/26/2017 2:52pm
Is this Mike's last year racing? I remember hearing something about him hanging up the boots soon but I'm not sure if it was maybe referring to him only wanted to race for a couple more years. Anyone know?
tingo
6/26/2017 2:53pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/26/202055/s1200_Mike_Alessi_Regina_1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/26/202056/s1200_MX1_Overall_Podium_Regina_1.jpg[/img]

Gear does look great. Even has his left hand on his hip in the first pic to keep everything lined up (jersey torso to jersey arm).
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/26/2017 2:59pm
Is this Mike's last year racing? I remember hearing something about him hanging up the boots soon but I'm not sure if it was maybe referring...
Is this Mike's last year racing? I remember hearing something about him hanging up the boots soon but I'm not sure if it was maybe referring to him only wanted to race for a couple more years. Anyone know?
Mike mentioned that he'll be done when he turns 30 which is next year. I think he'll race next year and call it a career after the Canadian series is over. That's my guess.
Sully
6/26/2017 5:01pm
I'd be curious to see how MotoConcepts' contract with Honda is structured so that Mike can ride a Kawasaki up there.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
6/26/2017 6:06pm
Sully wrote:
I'd be curious to see how MotoConcepts' contract with Honda is structured so that Mike can ride a Kawasaki up there.
If riders are all independent contracts shouldn't they be able to ride whatever the hell they want, whenever they want?

Serious question. Something I've never understood.
Sully
6/26/2017 6:13pm
Sully wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:
If riders are all independent contracts shouldn't they be able to ride whatever the hell they want, whenever they want?

Serious question. Something I've never understood.
I'm not sure, that's why I'm curious how the MC contract is structured. Remember back in the day when Honda got mad at McGrath for riding a Kawasaki Jet Ski during the off season?
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
6/26/2017 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2017 6:22pm
Is this Mike's last year racing? I remember hearing something about him hanging up the boots soon but I'm not sure if it was maybe referring...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Mike mentioned that he'll be done when he turns 30 which is next year. I think he'll race next year and call it a career after...
Mike mentioned that he'll be done when he turns 30 which is next year. I think he'll race next year and call it a career after the Canadian series is over. That's my guess.
MAVERICK,

Funny, how this ties in. I watched a Canadian movie yesterday. One of the better coming of age movies Ive seen. Its called, "Sleeping Giant" (Netflix). A couple of minutes into the opening scene, one of the characters has an "Alessi 800" T -shirt on. I bet Mike or even Jeff have no idea it even happened. Anyway, I thought you would find it interesting (if you didnt already know).
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/26/2017 7:12pm
Sully wrote:
Before receiving any Honda support the MotoConcept's team could run whichever brand they wanted but now with support from Honda I'm sure Mike's contract is for SX only let's say from October 1st to say the day after the last SX in May after that the Monster Alpinestars Kawasaki contract starts.

I don't think Honda has any problem whatsoever with the fact that he rides a different brand for the summer months. The guy even raced a Suzuki RM 250 at the two stroke race at Glen Helen not that long ago.

Besides riding two different brands he races two different series. Non conflicting in my opinion.
RyanD797
Fantasy
302nd
6/26/2017 7:18pm
tingo wrote:
Gear does look great. Even has his left hand on his hip in the first pic to keep everything lined up (jersey torso to jersey arm).
The dark haired girl does not approve. That or she is trying to figure out why they would let him bring all that Monster gear up on their Rockstar stage.
LungButter
6/26/2017 7:26pm
I hope Mike does 1 more year of US Nationals, even as a "farewell"

You wanna talk about a guy who poured his heart and soul in to this sport....love him or hate him, MA is a racer to the core.
6/26/2017 7:31pm
Sully wrote:
MotoConcepts a Supercross only effort. So the arrangement with Honda is also SX only. Mike's contract with Monster Energy Kawi for outdoors starts right after his SX contract with Honda ends. I don't believe he has anything inked with Kawi for 2018 outdoors yet - does he??
Sully
6/26/2017 7:33pm
Sully wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Before receiving any Honda support the MotoConcept's team could run whichever brand they wanted but now with support from Honda I'm sure Mike's contract is for...
Before receiving any Honda support the MotoConcept's team could run whichever brand they wanted but now with support from Honda I'm sure Mike's contract is for SX only let's say from October 1st to say the day after the last SX in May after that the Monster Alpinestars Kawasaki contract starts.

I don't think Honda has any problem whatsoever with the fact that he rides a different brand for the summer months. The guy even raced a Suzuki RM 250 at the two stroke race at Glen Helen not that long ago.

Besides riding two different brands he races two different series. Non conflicting in my opinion.
Yeah, I guess it would almost have to be a year-to-year deal with Honda. I completely forgot about the RM, and that was just a couple of weeks ago.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/26/2017 7:35pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Mike mentioned that he'll be done when he turns 30 which is next year. I think he'll race next year and call it a career after...
kzizok wrote:
MAVERICK, Funny, how this ties in. I watched a Canadian movie yesterday. One of the better coming of age movies Ive seen. Its called, "Sleeping Giant"...
MAVERICK,

Funny, how this ties in. I watched a Canadian movie yesterday. One of the better coming of age movies Ive seen. Its called, "Sleeping Giant" (Netflix). A couple of minutes into the opening scene, one of the characters has an "Alessi 800" T -shirt on. I bet Mike or even Jeff have no idea it even happened. Anyway, I thought you would find it interesting (if you didnt already know).
I've never seen the movie but just looked it up for the hell of it and you're right. In the opening scene where the kids are fighting one is indeed wearing an Alessi shirt. I looked for some info on the movie and it looks like the kids didn't have many if any acting credits before that movie and add that the movie didn't have a huge budget I'd be willing to bet the shirt he was wearing came out of the kid's actual wardrobe at home.

The kids that played Nate and Riley in the movie are actual real life cousins. The role of Riley was an open casting for kids in the area that the movie was shot but after they didn't find what they were looking for the guy playing Nate suggested they cast his cousin. Also, the lady that played the grandma in the movie is the real life grandma of both those kids.

The movie was filmed in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Maybe I'll watch it when I have time.
TXDirt
6/26/2017 7:38pm
That gear is money. He's had his ups and downs but he's leveled out to be a likeable rider.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/26/2017 7:51pm
LungButter wrote:
I hope Mike does 1 more year of US Nationals, even as a "farewell" You wanna talk about a guy who poured his heart and soul...
I hope Mike does 1 more year of US Nationals, even as a "farewell"

You wanna talk about a guy who poured his heart and soul in to this sport....love him or hate him, MA is a racer to the core.
The only way Mike does 1 more year of the US Nationals is if MotoConcepts decides to run the nationals. I don't see any teams giving him an outdoor only contract for only a couple months work and I really don't see Mike privateering it either after being on teams since he turned pro. Even if Genova decided to build him a bike for him to hit the nationals on his own it would cost too much to keep it going for all the rounds and I'm fairly certain he would not be interested in paying out of pocket for that upkeep. Add in a practice bike and the expense that go along with that as well and it's 99.9% guaranteed that Mike would not make a go at the US Nationals on his own dime.

Mike will either race or skip SX in 2018 and ride the Canadian Nationals next summer and call it a career.

I agree that Mike is a racer to the core. How many top level riders do you see line up at local races or special exhibition races like the 2 stroke races. You won't see many of them unless they are paid an appearance fee and that's not the case with Mike. The guy just loves to ride moto and a lot of us can relate to that.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
6/26/2017 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2017 7:58pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
kzizok wrote:
MAVERICK, Funny, how this ties in. I watched a Canadian movie yesterday. One of the better coming of age movies Ive seen. Its called, "Sleeping Giant"...
MAVERICK,

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I've never seen the movie but just looked it up for the hell of it and you're right. In the opening scene where the kids are...
I've never seen the movie but just looked it up for the hell of it and you're right. In the opening scene where the kids are fighting one is indeed wearing an Alessi shirt. I looked for some info on the movie and it looks like the kids didn't have many if any acting credits before that movie and add that the movie didn't have a huge budget I'd be willing to bet the shirt he was wearing came out of the kid's actual wardrobe at home.

The kids that played Nate and Riley in the movie are actual real life cousins. The role of Riley was an open casting for kids in the area that the movie was shot but after they didn't find what they were looking for the guy playing Nate suggested they cast his cousin. Also, the lady that played the grandma in the movie is the real life grandma of both those kids.

The movie was filmed in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Maybe I'll watch it when I have time.
Timing was certainly weird. It was a very well done movie. Some say the best movie of the year, not just Canada. The Alessi shirt really was surprising. I think ther may have been a Kyle Lewis T-shirt later in the movie, but not sure.

Interesting about the cast. Didn't seem like they were acting, they did such a great job.
kevin204
Fantasy
2870th
6/26/2017 8:58pm
Mike has been nothing but class, class, class up here in Canada. I'd dare say he's even become a bit of a fan favourite. Was good to see him back up front this weekend.
DemoDick
6/27/2017 10:59am
Mike will always be a good dude in my book. He and his dad were super cool to my kid at the Atl Supercross a few years back.

imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
6/27/2017 11:06am
DemoDick wrote:
Mike will always be a good dude in my book. He and his dad were super cool to my kid at the Atl Supercross a few...
Mike will always be a good dude in my book. He and his dad were super cool to my kid at the Atl Supercross a few years back.

The family is a group of good ol racing people.
Fox88
Fantasy
35th
6/27/2017 11:11am
Why does Mike Alessi run the number 5 in Canada as opposed to his trademark 800? I figured it was his "brand" or career number.

I would guess this has came up a few times already, but haven't seen it...
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/27/2017 1:28pm
Fox88 wrote:
Why does Mike Alessi run the number 5 in Canada as opposed to his trademark 800? I figured it was his "brand" or career number. I...
Why does Mike Alessi run the number 5 in Canada as opposed to his trademark 800? I figured it was his "brand" or career number.

I would guess this has came up a few times already, but haven't seen it...
We don't have career numbers in Canada. Mike finished 5th in the series last year so he gets to run the number 5 this year.

Our number system works on the run what you earn. Pourcel is a first year rider in the series and got to run the 377 since no other pro has that number. Let's say he finishes this years series in 2nd and comes back next year he'll have no other choice but to run the number 2.

The top 10 numbers are reserved for the first 10 finishers in the 450 class and number 11 is reserve for the 250 champion in the case that he moves up to the 450 class. After that the numbers are assigned based on points earned in the series.

Post a reply to: Where has MA800 been?

The Latest