Where does Roczen land for 2023 SX?

CPan
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2022 11:36am
Let’s assume redbull lets him out of his contract so his options are open.
Poll

Write in the comments if the team isn’t in the poll

Choices
|
Pop Shmoke
9/16/2022 6:52am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2022 6:53am
KTM makes sense. They dont have a guy who can win outdoors. Webb and Roczen can both win sx races Webb maybe can win another title but sux in outdoors, Roczen gives them a shot. Plus it spreads around the risk between 2 top guys. Roczen also has a history with KTM, but MOST importantly hes committed to redbull, that means no Monster Rockstar etc.. Doesnt leave many options besides Honda KTM Suzuki.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
9/16/2022 7:05am
HRC? LOL

I would honestly love to see him give the MXGPs another go. He would bring a lot of attention to that series and whatever team hired him, but I don't see him going that way full time.

The most likely opening is ME Kawi. AC is basically a West-coast only SX, but I don't see him giving up Red Bull for a fill-in ride.

KTM makes sense, but they already have 3 guys for SX so even if one of them gets injured, they don't need a second. Maybe as a fill-in with the goal of having him race MX?
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
9/16/2022 7:05am
Ktm and gas gas feel like the only factory options with his Red Bull deal.
Front242
9/16/2022 7:12am
his couch don't care about wrong suspension setup changes between commercial breaks.....oh i mean between both moto's Evil

The Shop

tek14
9/16/2022 7:22am
Maybe Ken and Coop can shake hands later after retirement but no way he will go same team. Will GasGas have updated bike or still old platform? If AC is out Kenny could get Kawasaki deal but without Redbull his salary will drop. Star Yamaha have endless funding but why would they hire Ken as they have top riders. He could end to replace Deano at Husky.
fourfourone
9/16/2022 7:24am
He would have had a way better chance for a factory ride if he didn't spend half his JS podcast detailing how he's always sick and not feeling himself since his injury. He basically boasted how he's up for grabs for a factory ride and then processed to say over and over again how he can't stay healthy and always gets sick and it effects his riding.

No factory team is going to want to sign someone with those issues.
Motofinne
9/16/2022 7:31am
Kenny is in a difficult situation if he wants to keep both Fox and Red Bull
McG194
9/16/2022 7:42am
He would have had a way better chance for a factory ride if he didn't spend half his JS podcast detailing how he's always sick and...
He would have had a way better chance for a factory ride if he didn't spend half his JS podcast detailing how he's always sick and not feeling himself since his injury. He basically boasted how he's up for grabs for a factory ride and then processed to say over and over again how he can't stay healthy and always gets sick and it effects his riding.

Never heard of a coach killer have you?

A coach killer in stick and ball sports is a guy who has such intoxicating talent but comes with baggage that never lets him succeed. Think a Josh Gordon or Antonio Brown. Kenny doesn't have substance abuse issues but he is flat out one of the top 3 most talented people on the planet when it comes to riding a dirt bike. There will ALWAYS be someone who thinks they can get his potential out of him.
bvm111
9/16/2022 7:43am
I would be surprised if anyone major picks him up, why would a team manager/ manufacturer want to bring all the drama and excuses… what’s their upside? Says “he is doing it for the fans and not the money” more like his ego. He knows he can’t win an AMA title so he is going after this low hanging fruit of a “title”. If money isn’t an issue as he claims then put your money where your mouth is, be a man, stop the excuses, and start your own team, and prove everyone wrong like reed did.
Snapper
9/16/2022 7:44am
TriRacer27 wrote:
HRC? LOL I would honestly love to see him give the MXGPs another go. He would bring a lot of attention to that series and whatever...
HRC? LOL

I would honestly love to see him give the MXGPs another go. He would bring a lot of attention to that series and whatever team hired him, but I don't see him going that way full time.

The most likely opening is ME Kawi. AC is basically a West-coast only SX, but I don't see him giving up Red Bull for a fill-in ride.

KTM makes sense, but they already have 3 guys for SX so even if one of them gets injured, they don't need a second. Maybe as a fill-in with the goal of having him race MX?
Ken to MXGP was a big rumour in the pits at St. Jean. But I can't see it.
MOTO120
9/16/2022 7:48am
There was rumor (and as demonstrated to be true in GP's and Dakar) earlier this year about Rockstar getting out of sponsorship stuff. SO, with that said, is there a chance that they are gone from USA Husqvarna team next year? If that is the case, Factory Husqvarna could make A LOT of sense for him (Deano's spot). Which would then keep his ties higher up with the whole Red Bull / KTM marriage.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
9/16/2022 7:51am
MOTO120 wrote:
There was rumor (and as demonstrated to be true in GP's and Dakar) earlier this year about Rockstar getting out of sponsorship stuff. SO, with that...
There was rumor (and as demonstrated to be true in GP's and Dakar) earlier this year about Rockstar getting out of sponsorship stuff. SO, with that said, is there a chance that they are gone from USA Husqvarna team next year? If that is the case, Factory Husqvarna could make A LOT of sense for him (Deano's spot). Which would then keep his ties higher up with the whole Red Bull / KTM marriage.
Husky US offroad and Moto are with Rockstar through 2023.

Red Bull KTM is running a third semi in 23 and was planning on going four 450 riders if Dungey chose to keep going...so maybe KTM.

Star still kinda of needs another 450 guy.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
9/16/2022 7:51am
Triumph and Beta won't be ready for SX in 23.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
9/16/2022 7:55am
MOTO120 wrote:
There was rumor (and as demonstrated to be true in GP's and Dakar) earlier this year about Rockstar getting out of sponsorship stuff. SO, with that...
For sure, that would be a great fit for him if the Rockstar deal falls through, although without Rockstar is there still a team and budget for Kenny? Kind of a chicken-and-egg issue there.

Also, Gas-Gas is a no-no for him. He wants to keep Fox and I don't ever see him wanting to be teammates with Barcia.

Honestly see him on something like Moto Concepts on a high-bonus contract for SX only. That would allow him to do the overseas races and keep his RB helmet and Fox gear deals. Heck, he might like the MC Honda even more than his factory one.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
9/16/2022 8:05am
MOTO120 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Husky US offroad and Moto are with Rockstar through 2023. Red Bull KTM is running a third semi in 23 and was planning on going four...

Red Bull KTM is running a third semi in 23 and was planning on going four 450 riders if Dungey chose to keep going...so maybe KTM.

Yeah, maybe Star for MX or if Dylan is really messed up more than people think, but I don't see him ever giving up Red Bull.

Honestly, if RB KTM can put together the budget for another bike and get him on a low salary, high bonus deal, they might have a star-packed team for '23. It would look kinda funny though if they have a 450 semi with 4 bikes and a 250 semi with maybe 1 bike under it.
fourfourone
9/16/2022 8:16am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2022 8:38am
He would have had a way better chance for a factory ride if he didn't spend half his JS podcast detailing how he's always sick and...

McG194 wrote:
[i]No factory team is going to want to sign someone with those issues.[/i] Never heard of a coach killer have you? A coach killer in stick...

Never heard of a coach killer have you?

A coach killer in stick and ball sports is a guy who has such intoxicating talent but comes with baggage that never lets him succeed. Think a Josh Gordon or Antonio Brown. Kenny doesn't have substance abuse issues but he is flat out one of the top 3 most talented people on the planet when it comes to riding a dirt bike. There will ALWAYS be someone who thinks they can get his potential out of him.
His sickness has been his excuse for the last 3 seasons. It ain't gonna change. He literally said its the reason he keeps falling back to 15th place. Its not like this is a new issue. He bluntly stated he got seriously ill 3 times in the outdoor season.

This isn't a ride to your full potential thing. He can hole shot and run first often and his speed is there. From what he says his body just can't sustain that pace. Hence why he will lead laps and then fade rapidly. He openly admitted to spending a ton of time with Redbull's medical team trying to figure this all out. If some of the best doctors and scientist in sports can't get him fixed than I highly doubt anyone can.

Who knows who will sign him but at this point he won't be a tittle contender until he gets this health thing figured out and the big teams know it. Also lets not forgot how many times he's blamed the bike for his shortcomings. All the verbal diarrhea over the last few seasons has made him less desirable to teams.

RickMelon73
9/16/2022 8:30am
Pop Shmoke wrote:
KTM makes sense. They dont have a guy who can win outdoors. Webb and Roczen can both win sx races Webb maybe can win another title...
KTM makes sense. They dont have a guy who can win outdoors. Webb and Roczen can both win sx races Webb maybe can win another title but sux in outdoors, Roczen gives them a shot. Plus it spreads around the risk between 2 top guys. Roczen also has a history with KTM, but MOST importantly hes committed to redbull, that means no Monster Rockstar etc.. Doesnt leave many options besides Honda KTM Suzuki.
Yeah Coop only won one 250 national outdoor championship and only runs top ten in 450 outdoors so he is def trash??Sux for sure..............
9/16/2022 8:33am
Can’t wait for the social media posts as to why his couch isn’t as comfortable as it was last year..
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
9/16/2022 8:38am
MOTO120 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Husky US offroad and Moto are with Rockstar through 2023. Red Bull KTM is running a third semi in 23 and was planning on going four...

I can't see him being team mates with Web. But who knows, more likely gas gas. That being said, a low base salary and results based contract, what does KTM have to lose?
TM
TeamGreen
9/16/2022 8:40am
Can’t wait for the social media posts as to why his couch isn’t as comfortable as it was last year..
I wonder how “17” is going to look on the new Honda…? Grinning
Alex814
9/16/2022 9:15am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2022 9:16am
MOTO120 wrote:
ML512 wrote:

ToolMaker wrote:
I can't see him being team mates with Web. But who knows, more likely gas gas. That being said, a low base salary and results based...
I can't see him being team mates with Web. But who knows, more likely gas gas. That being said, a low base salary and results based contract, what does KTM have to lose?
TM
I don't imagine Roczen taking a low salary offer based on his latest interview. I'm a fan, but he sounds like the opposite of Tomac last year who switched teams for the sole reason of winning races. Kenny sounds like he wants a comfortable situation to finish his career as he believes he's earned.
9/16/2022 9:17am
TeamGreen wrote:
Ahhh come on it’s just a joke..
Obviously I’m not in the running for a factory ride..
I’d happily take one though, bet it would look pretty damn good haha
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
9/16/2022 9:57am
Honestly, sounds like Kenny is about to get a wake-up call as to how "in-demand" he really is.

Also, he said he's now working with a nutritionist and having blood work done. Seriously, just now? I'm a freaking 40+ B rider at best and even I have a nutritionist and get regular blood work done. I hope he land somewhere good but, considering Honda's PR, he didn't come out of that interview looking as good as he thought he would.
TeamGreen
9/16/2022 10:00am
TeamGreen wrote:
Ahhh come on it’s just a joke.. Obviously I’m not in the running for a factory ride.. I’d happily take one though, bet it would look...
Ahhh come on it’s just a joke..
Obviously I’m not in the running for a factory ride..
I’d happily take one though, bet it would look pretty damn good haha
Was being jus’ a little sarcastic; but, I do see that as the best option. Joey would do well on the Honda.
McG194
9/16/2022 10:34am
MOTO120 wrote:
ML512 wrote:

Roger D was the one that broke the Dungey news at Pala or at least he was the first interview that went out. Is there a chance that KTM was already planning on Kenny taking that bike?
9/16/2022 10:42am
MOTO120 wrote:
ML512 wrote:

McG194 wrote:
Roger D was the one that broke the Dungey news at Pala or at least he was the first interview that went out. Is there a...
Roger D was the one that broke the Dungey news at Pala or at least he was the first interview that went out. Is there a chance that KTM was already planning on Kenny taking that bike?
If Rodger wasn’t happy with RD bringing in 5ths, or a 40 year old retired GP racer battling for top 5’s, he is gonna have no interest in Kenny..
mx186
9/16/2022 1:48pm
More than likely Ken will have to drop one of his main sponsors rather it'd be Red Bull or Fox (for gear). If he goes to another factory team like Rockstar Husky or Monster/Star Racing Yamaha then he can keep his gear deal, but not the drink sponsorship. If he went to a smaller team like HEP or Rock River, then he could keep his deals and race however long he wants to. At this point in his career, that might be the best option since it's low pressure to perform on his side.
mx313
9/16/2022 1:55pm
I seen Ken as being the world supercross guy now.
So he won't have a ama factory ride next year.
He will ride for 1 of the American teams. And that could allow him to race ama sx but that won't be his main priority. I can see that happening for the next 3 years then he retire
resetjet
9/16/2022 2:03pm
Since he admitted he is a free agent, i believe his agent already canvassed the market. I suppose if he is willing to do a performance contract, keep his personal sponsors, there could be room for him, but he is gonna have to take a pay cut. Anyones guess but i vote husky.

Post a reply to: Where does Roczen land for 2023 SX?

The Latest