Where did it all start for you

wreckitrandy
12/24/2018 6:23am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2018 6:27am
My cousin had a Mini Trail Honda. The fold down bars, first year model. My granny bought me a 125 Yamaha for Christmas when I was ten. She said, "Here you go. You can work and buy the gas, tires and, keep it running." It snowed every Wednesday for a month so I couldn't ride but, I made gas money shoveling sidewalks and driveways. My first wreck was a low speed washout in a right hand hairpin. I broke the glass out of the book case and got a whoopin'. Several more whoopin's for just starting it in the house. Granny didn't dig the smell. PS.. Thank God for Grandma
tp4
12/24/2018 6:29am
hollywood fla..1971 got a tm 250 started racing..south fla.
mooch
Fantasy
431st
12/24/2018 8:35am
I was 5-6 years old when my brother got a Honda S90 for his first bike. I'd set in front of him and work the clutch and throttle and have rides through some trails in the woods by our house. One area had a lump of dirt he'd get a bit of air off of when riding solo and ended up giving me a ride over the lump jump...got outta shape and we did a sail and bail. Bro was up and worried about me, I was fine and thought it was a thrill. That and looking through pics in his cycle mags of dirt riding on converted street bikes gave me the itch to ride off road. A few years later my first "bike" was a Huffy Hustler 4 hp lawnmower engine minibike followed by my first real motorcycle a Hodaka Wombat.

Brap!
12/24/2018 9:36am
My uncle bought a couple of pw80’s for my cousin. After he outgrew them, my uncle gave them to my dad for me to ride. I was 6 or 7 and I remember my dad trying to get me to ride. I was scared to ride by myself, but got to where I take control of the handlebars and throttle while he rode on the bike with me. One day, we were riding in a big open field and I circled around and saw my dad, who had been on with me, standing in the field. Suddenly, I was riding all by myself. It was all over at that moment. I’m 30 now and have been riding ever since. Planning on getting my 5 year old and 3 year old into riding soon.

The Shop

racer369
12/24/2018 9:42am
1970 Yamaha ct 90 enduro that my sister bought while working in Yellowstone national park. Went to visit her and learned to ride the road and backroads in the park summer of 1972. probably rode a lot where I wasn't supposed to!
boston_jorj
12/24/2018 9:56am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2018 9:58am
My Mom and Dad didn’t want us to ride. Me and by brother saved up and bought a roached out 80’s XR80. Rode that thing into the ground. Our parents recognized our desire and commitment to ride. Bought two new 85’s an enclosed trailer and started racing as a family unit!
boston_jorj
12/24/2018 9:59am
My cousin had a Mini Trail Honda. The fold down bars, first year model. My granny bought me a 125 Yamaha for Christmas when I was...
My cousin had a Mini Trail Honda. The fold down bars, first year model. My granny bought me a 125 Yamaha for Christmas when I was ten. She said, "Here you go. You can work and buy the gas, tires and, keep it running." It snowed every Wednesday for a month so I couldn't ride but, I made gas money shoveling sidewalks and driveways. My first wreck was a low speed washout in a right hand hairpin. I broke the glass out of the book case and got a whoopin'. Several more whoopin's for just starting it in the house. Granny didn't dig the smell. PS.. Thank God for Grandma
Amen. Grandma supplied many tires and pipes throughout the Christmas years!
Spudnut
12/24/2018 10:18am
Thanksgiving 1998, I was 5 and mom and Dad took me to a family friends place for thanksgiving where both his boys were older with 125s doing some riding, Long story short I saw a old pw50 tucked in the corner of his garage, became so obsessed with it my dad (a former racer himself) had no choice but to make an offer on it and the rest is a blur...
omalley
12/24/2018 10:20am
Dad raced through the 70’s. He quit when he started a family but still got MXA. Three of my earliest memories are a picture of me on his ‘78 CR250R (age two or so), him giving me an MXA or Dirt Bike with Hannah on his works Honda on the cover, and of going to the Seattle SX. Always wanted a dirt bike but mom didn’t want me riding. Dad and I snuck a 70-73 (can’t recall year anymore) DT100 under moms nose. An old acquaintances son had left it at her house and didn’t want it. It didn’t run and she said if we got it running it was ours for 50.00. After that I had an 87 YZ250, then a 90 CR125, then dad got another bike and it was off to the races (literally and figuratively).
12/24/2018 10:34am
I think i was about 9 years old. My dad used to race almost his whole life (quit when i was born).
My parents didn't want me to ride , but when i was younger i found alot of photoalbums of my dad of his races.
And there it just started, my interest in mx. Back than you had advertisements in our local newspaper and there was a pw 50 in it just around the corner.
We went looking and i got to ride that thing in the streets but my parents said NO.

after 2 years of whining on my parents that i wanted to ride they finally said yes. It was wednesday and we would be looking for a Honda cr60 on Saturday. Finally after 3 days of not sleeping (because of excitement and nerves) we bought that thing. Never forget that moment.

Mx is a virus , once you get hooked on you will never lose it. I stopped riding 7 years ago , but there wasn't a day that i didn't follow mx in that years.

Started back riding last year at the age of 29.
brocster
12/24/2018 11:11am
Dad rode when I was very little. Got out before we were old enough to ride.
Begged and begged and got a mini bike from Sears. Loved to ride that thing. Messed up and told my friend we might sell it and my dad forced me to honor my word and made me sell it. I was heartbroken. He then allowed me to buy a POS Yamaha GT 80 and I wrenched on that thing more than I rode it. Cracked the carb then scrapped the whole thing. My uncles rode and would never go riding without taking me along. Saved up some money and bought a 1982 KX 80 behind my parents back. Again worked on it more than I rode it. Got too big for it and traded it for a Race Inc. bmx bike. 6 years later I made a loan from my Grandfather and bought a 1982 Chevy S10 and a 1988 CR125 on the same day. Been riding almost every weekend since. Well up until last year when I jacked up my ankle pretty bad.
However, 2 weeks ago I bout a 2000 CR 125 and hope to get back to spinning laps soon. Very soon. Merry X Mas to me.
12/24/2018 12:03pm
omalley wrote:
Dad raced through the 70’s. He quit when he started a family but still got MXA. Three of my earliest memories are a picture of me...
Dad raced through the 70’s. He quit when he started a family but still got MXA. Three of my earliest memories are a picture of me on his ‘78 CR250R (age two or so), him giving me an MXA or Dirt Bike with Hannah on his works Honda on the cover, and of going to the Seattle SX. Always wanted a dirt bike but mom didn’t want me riding. Dad and I snuck a 70-73 (can’t recall year anymore) DT100 under moms nose. An old acquaintances son had left it at her house and didn’t want it. It didn’t run and she said if we got it running it was ours for 50.00. After that I had an 87 YZ250, then a 90 CR125, then dad got another bike and it was off to the races (literally and figuratively).
I love reading all of the stories of our first memories of how we got into riding..great stuff!!
Merry Christmas ?
CozMan
12/24/2018 12:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2018 12:32pm
My dad had a big enduro or dual sport he rode during college and afterwards. I can still clearly remember sitting on the tank and holding the center of the handlebars while he would cruise around the neighborhood with me. Man, I could draw that bike from memory better than a photograph.

he bought me a pw50 when I was 5 and would take me to the sand dunes around Corpus Christi. I still remember riding behind him and marveling at the size of the wheel on his bike and how unbelievably COOL it was.

From there, to a KX60. We got serious and hit Bravo, Whitney, and Ponca multiple times. My little brother started at 3, much to my mother's disapproval. He won his first race at 3. :-)

Had a friend get killed riding, so I was told that dirt bikes were over for me. I got off bikes for a long time, but my brother died in '13. I turned around and bought a bike. Still don't know why. We had bought some dual sports similar to dad's and he and I would cruise the area a lot before he got sick. After I bought the dirbike, I took it to an old track nearby. I went over a small jump, and I laughed really loud inside my helmet.I hadn't jumped a motorcycle in probably 15 years and I couldn't quit laughing at how fun it was. I had to pull over, take my helmet off and baul my damn eyes out on the side of the track. So many memories came crushing down on me and how much life had changed.My brother was gone, my dad uses a walker, and life can just be a real bitch sometimes.

Sometimes dirtbikes are fun. Sometimes they transcend and become spiritual. I think about the day of crying at the track every single time I throw my leg over a bike. I miss my bro, man.
philG
12/24/2018 12:43pm
Christmas time and the end of the year, sitting here looking at the tree and rembering where it started for me. I was 6 or 7...
Christmas time and the end of the year, sitting here looking at the tree and rembering where it started for me.
I was 6 or 7 I’m not really sure but what I am sure about is that on Christmas morning next to the tree when I came down stairs was the most awesome, ferocious dirt bike I had seen and it was for me ! A Honda QA 50 ?
I don’t know if it was new or not but I couldn’t believe it. I can still see the amber color of that metal gas tank and those Honda wing emblems on the side. I imagined myself doing all kinds of things with it although I didn’t know how to start or ride it at the time!
My grandfather bought it for me and my mother said she was pissed when he did lol . He was a WW2 veteran who was in the Pacific theater and among the islands he was on included Iwo Gima where that famous picture of the men raising our flag was taken..I miss him..
He was a CB and a great mechanic and started racing cars as well as riding bikes on the street and trails

First time on it was in the spring in a parking area near our house. It was a big old factory with chain link fence all around it. My grandfather behind me and we both using the throttle and brake cruising around...I was saying something to him and he didn’t respond so I turned around and he was standing about 30 ft behind me ?? what..now it’s just me..oh no..I was doing ok and planning to stop before the fence but as I got closer panic set in andi froze up..forgot what he was telling me and crashed into the fence at about 80 mph..ha ha..probably 4 or 5 mph but it scared me, got a little scraped up and was mad lol..
I wanted to leave but he told me to get back on the bike..he said if I didn’t then I would be scared of it..that was a lesson that has served me well in many areas of my life over the years.
I did get back on and was able to tame that wild stallion just a bit..
That progressed into a Honda Elsinore 50 I think..and I would ride every day I got home for as long as I was allowed, making a “track “ basically a trail loop that I did over and over trying to go faster and faster..I just loved it.
I had friends that I would sometimes ride the tracks or trails with but back then that kind of bored me..I wanted to keep chasing my best lap on that track..guess I was weird..lol

Then some person in my town made an unbelievable practice track. It was big..very long..a lot of it sand..we were one of the first guys on it after the bulldozer finished..it was like heaven..I soon got an RM 80 and would lap until I ran out of gas,get more gas and lap some more..got in fantastic shape..
I also learned a valuable riding lesson. The guy who took me riding and was a motocross racer a Maico 490 owner..don’t get behind that thing! Well he was telling me what to do on this jump they made about 3/4 of the way down a long straight, he said keep the throttle on and your weight back..don’t let off..
You can see where this is going right..
The left turn was in the trees and then you just opened the throttle and clicked gears until the jump..it was really more of a high speed roller where you didn’t go too high but the faster you hit it the further you went..
I did a number of test runs where I went around it at speed and entered the sandy breaking bumps for the turn..
I knew I could do it..you can see where this is headed..
Full throttle..clicking gears..ass on the rear fender the way I imagined Hannah would do it..
Hit the face..then I lifted off the throttle..lol ? must have looked funny as I landed on my front wheel but didn’t immediately endo..I kind of rode it thinking I may survive this..until I hit those sandy breaking bumps..
Remember open faced helmets and chin guards?
My bent nose does too!! Lol..I hit it on the crossbars, broke it and cartwheel in the sand..lesson learned..
And once we straightend the bars and my nose stopped bleeding I got back on the bike and hit that jump with less speed but did it..
So that’s where it all started for me, I was the only kid reading motocross action and cycle news in school but those early years riding were some of my best memories.

i just lived your childhood.. awesome post , thx .. mine was similar , takes me back.
JustMX
12/24/2018 7:06pm
Back in about 1974 i Went to a church picnic in seymour missouri when I was about 11 years old. One of the members bought his and his wife's mx bikes for people to ride.

I climbed on her mx 100 yamaha and was hooked the first time I thought that thing was going to rip my arms off.

Started reading motorcycle magazines, dirt bike, popular cycling, cycle, motocross action, minicycle action. Bought the ones I could, read most that I couldnt.

We moved to kentucky and both my neighbors had honda 80s. Bummed rides on them until my family moved back to missouri to run a 300 acre dairy farm. Got my first running bike, a hard tail qa 50. Had more weld than original metal when I traded it for a 1969 yamaha 100. Had a hi/lo speed transmission and would really creep. Trials were big then and we went and spectator at a couple trials events I played around trying to do some of the stuff I saw. Later Went and watched a local motocross and that impressed me. Read about the isde, mx gps, desert, and enduros. Upgraded to a tc 90 and wore out the dirt roads that were plantiful in sw mo.

About 1978 we moved near calhoun georgia and I had to sell my tc 90. We rented a house in a subdivision and didn't know a soul. I went to a private boarding school and wanted to get another bike. I had a pretty good amount of money for a 14 year old kid from selling a bunch of cows that my brother and I had gotten and raised. Parents told me I couldn't get a bike unless I had some place to ride.

One 4 day weekend I went around where we had moved and knocked on doors explaining my situation. Finally meant a family that had a boy that rode. He told me about a place about 2 miles away where a lot of guys rode.

My dad had noticed a '76 yz 100 sitting in the corner of a schwinn bicycle shop. It had belonged to a guy that had gone into the army and then was killed in a car crash. His parents had asked the guy to sell it. It had no fire, so I got it for $100. My dad tested the ignition and the cdi coils were bad. Another $100 or so and I had a 3 year old race bike with an extra cylinder, a dg radial head, and an air shock kit that replaced the spring on the monoshock.

The place to ride was an abandoned brick yard where they had dug red clay to make bricks and it was a playground. Had some crazy guys there. A bunch of us would end up out there playing tag on bikes, or rabbit, where everybody was trying to catch one guy. I think I was the only rider other than a kid on a yz 80 that actually raced that ever wore a helmet.

I started frequenting the local bike shop, easy living yamaha in Rome georgia. The parts guy was just awesome. Just super helpful. They were also involved in a hare scramble series and gave it a shot in the fall of '79. Man, I can still remember my first whiff of the Castrol oil some of those guys were running, and how loud a full race tt500 was when it lapped me on a trail in a deep ravine.

I was so hooked.
12/24/2018 9:42pm
My mind is blown by the the commom thread and simaliarities of all of the stories that everyone has, a lot of minibikes, oil injected 2 strokes, backyard and sandlot tracks. It really is amazing. Just goes to show what a brotherhood we all are.
devotid
Fantasy
315th
12/24/2018 11:06pm
I was born in the back of a Chevy van at the Jackpine Enduro..... 1978. Im 40 now and still love ANY chance to ride I can get. Im broke now and cant afford a bike. But Im working hard and hoping 2019 will be my year to get another bike and ride the Jackpine again.

Me riding the Jackpine Enduro 39 Years later.

My father Phil Westendorf is the one that started this amazing journey for our family Hes ridden the jackpine about 15 times.... Back when it was 400 miles and 2 days in the gnarliest woods in Mi. I owe it all to him.

boston_jorj
12/25/2018 7:07am
Spudnut wrote:
Thanksgiving 1998, I was 5 and mom and Dad took me to a family friends place for thanksgiving where both his boys were older with 125s...
Thanksgiving 1998, I was 5 and mom and Dad took me to a family friends place for thanksgiving where both his boys were older with 125s doing some riding, Long story short I saw a old pw50 tucked in the corner of his garage, became so obsessed with it my dad (a former racer himself) had no choice but to make an offer on it and the rest is a blur...
This is why I am excited to be a father one day!
12/25/2018 11:59pm
CozMan wrote:
My dad had a big enduro or dual sport he rode during college and afterwards. I can still clearly remember sitting on the tank and holding...
My dad had a big enduro or dual sport he rode during college and afterwards. I can still clearly remember sitting on the tank and holding the center of the handlebars while he would cruise around the neighborhood with me. Man, I could draw that bike from memory better than a photograph.

he bought me a pw50 when I was 5 and would take me to the sand dunes around Corpus Christi. I still remember riding behind him and marveling at the size of the wheel on his bike and how unbelievably COOL it was.

From there, to a KX60. We got serious and hit Bravo, Whitney, and Ponca multiple times. My little brother started at 3, much to my mother's disapproval. He won his first race at 3. :-)

Had a friend get killed riding, so I was told that dirt bikes were over for me. I got off bikes for a long time, but my brother died in '13. I turned around and bought a bike. Still don't know why. We had bought some dual sports similar to dad's and he and I would cruise the area a lot before he got sick. After I bought the dirbike, I took it to an old track nearby. I went over a small jump, and I laughed really loud inside my helmet.I hadn't jumped a motorcycle in probably 15 years and I couldn't quit laughing at how fun it was. I had to pull over, take my helmet off and baul my damn eyes out on the side of the track. So many memories came crushing down on me and how much life had changed.My brother was gone, my dad uses a walker, and life can just be a real bitch sometimes.

Sometimes dirtbikes are fun. Sometimes they transcend and become spiritual. I think about the day of crying at the track every single time I throw my leg over a bike. I miss my bro, man.
I'm not ashamed to admit that your post brought several tears to my eyes.

My brother is still with us but even though we live 2,500 miles away and he hasn't had a bike since 93 or so motocross is still the thing that tends to brings us back together to talk or text if either of us have let the pressures and responsibilities of work, family and raising kids/grandkids keep us out of contract for more than a few weeks.

It would appear to me that you are honoring his memory through your continued participation in an activity you both shared and that he was with you when you made that jump and will be with you for every moto, lap or race in the future.

God Bless and you have my most heart felt and sincere condolences.
CozMan
12/26/2018 7:38am
I'm not ashamed to admit that your post brought several tears to my eyes. My brother is still with us but even though we live 2,500...

My brother is still with us but even though we live 2,500 miles away and he hasn't had a bike since 93 or so motocross is still the thing that tends to brings us back together to talk or text if either of us have let the pressures and responsibilities of work, family and raising kids/grandkids keep us out of contract for more than a few weeks.

It would appear to me that you are honoring his memory through your continued participation in an activity you both shared and that he was with you when you made that jump and will be with you for every moto, lap or race in the future.

thank you. That was kinda therapeutic to just type that out. Merry Christmas to you. :-)
12/26/2018 3:01pm
I'm not ashamed to admit that your post brought several tears to my eyes. My brother is still with us but even though we live 2,500...

CozMan wrote:
thank you. That was kinda therapeutic to just type that out. Merry Christmas to you. :-)
Those were great posts and stories guys..all of them are so cool to read..
JPT
12/26/2018 3:41pm
The interest? Seeing Steve McQueen in The Great Escape. I later learned it was Bud Ekins jumping the fence but it didn't matter, I wanted to do it. Riding? My 1965 Honda 65.

slipdog
12/26/2018 4:13pm
My dad brought home mint QA50 from a garage sale in the late '70's for my brother and I when he was 5 and I was 3. I was mesmerized and learned to ride it before I rode a pedal bike.

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/26/2018 4:25pm
omalley wrote:
Dad raced through the 70’s. He quit when he started a family but still got MXA. Three of my earliest memories are a picture of me...
I love reading all of the stories of our first memories of how we got into riding..great stuff!!
Merry Christmas ?
Me too Love man i love hearing
These stories, and seeing the bikes is a bonus.

Post a reply to: Where did it all start for you

The Latest