Where did it all start for you

Related:
Create New Tag

12/22/2018 12:30 PM

Christmas time and the end of the year, sitting here looking at the tree and rembering where it started for me.
I was 6 or 7 I’m not really sure but what I am sure about is that on Christmas morning next to the tree when I came down stairs was the most awesome, ferocious dirt bike I had seen and it was for me ! A Honda QA 50 ?
I don’t know if it was new or not but I couldn’t believe it. I can still see the amber color of that metal gas tank and those Honda wing emblems on the side. I imagined myself doing all kinds of things with it although I didn’t know how to start or ride it at the time!
My grandfather bought it for me and my mother said she was pissed when he did lol . He was a WW2 veteran who was in the Pacific theater and among the islands he was on included Iwo Gima where that famous picture of the men raising our flag was taken..I miss him..
He was a CB and a great mechanic and started racing cars as well as riding bikes on the street and trails

First time on it was in the spring in a parking area near our house. It was a big old factory with chain link fence all around it. My grandfather behind me and we both using the throttle and brake cruising around...I was saying something to him and he didn’t respond so I turned around and he was standing about 30 ft behind me ?? what..now it’s just me..oh no..I was doing ok and planning to stop before the fence but as I got closer panic set in andi froze up..forgot what he was telling me and crashed into the fence at about 80 mph..ha ha..probably 4 or 5 mph but it scared me, got a little scraped up and was mad lol..
I wanted to leave but he told me to get back on the bike..he said if I didn’t then I would be scared of it..that was a lesson that has served me well in many areas of my life over the years.
I did get back on and was able to tame that wild stallion just a bit..
That progressed into a Honda Elsinore 50 I think..and I would ride every day I got home for as long as I was allowed, making a “track “ basically a trail loop that I did over and over trying to go faster and faster..I just loved it.
I had friends that I would sometimes ride the tracks or trails with but back then that kind of bored me..I wanted to keep chasing my best lap on that track..guess I was weird..lol

Then some person in my town made an unbelievable practice track. It was big..very long..a lot of it sand..we were one of the first guys on it after the bulldozer finished..it was like heaven..I soon got an RM 80 and would lap until I ran out of gas,get more gas and lap some more..got in fantastic shape..
I also learned a valuable riding lesson. The guy who took me riding and was a motocross racer a Maico 490 owner..don’t get behind that thing! Well he was telling me what to do on this jump they made about 3/4 of the way down a long straight, he said keep the throttle on and your weight back..don’t let off..
You can see where this is going right..
The left turn was in the trees and then you just opened the throttle and clicked gears until the jump..it was really more of a high speed roller where you didn’t go too high but the faster you hit it the further you went..
I did a number of test runs where I went around it at speed and entered the sandy breaking bumps for the turn..
I knew I could do it..you can see where this is headed..
Full throttle..clicking gears..ass on the rear fender the way I imagined Hannah would do it..
Hit the face..then I lifted off the throttle..lol ? must have looked funny as I landed on my front wheel but didn’t immediately endo..I kind of rode it thinking I may survive this..until I hit those sandy breaking bumps..
Remember open faced helmets and chin guards?
My bent nose does too!! Lol..I hit it on the crossbars, broke it and cartwheel in the sand..lesson learned..
And once we straightend the bars and my nose stopped bleeding I got back on the bike and hit that jump with less speed but did it..
So that’s where it all started for me, I was the only kid reading motocross action and cycle news in school but those early years riding were some of my best memories.

|

12/22/2018 12:51 PM

Buying a suzuki TS 185 at a farm auction for £35 when I was about 10 lol

|

12/22/2018 1:10 PM

Learning to ride on my neighbors Montessa Cota 49 trials bike. My neighbors dad was a trials master (he is still racing doing vintage and modern trials at age 73 and winning!) Then bought myself a XR75 with newspaper delivery money I saved. My parents were not into the motorcycle thing at all. Did lots of trail riding with a few different bikes with my friends and then started racing MX in the late 80s and early 90s in AMA D6 in PA. Didn't ride off road for a long time until I picked up a used YZ250 a few years ago and started riding again and doing some D6 hare scrambles.

|

12/22/2018 1:21 PM

It's started the first moment I saw SX on ESPN2 in 1996. I remember channel surfing and there was this guy on a 1-800-collect Honda. Start straight, whoops, then a a triple. Within 5 seconds I instantly forgot stick and ball sports. Got an 86 CR125 that blew up on the 1st ride. Rode a cheap blaster quad for a year. Got a 1990 CR125. Dirt bikes are the best thing that ever happened to me. They kept me away from all the drugs my buddies from school got into. I still remember those first few moments seeing what a dirt bike was like it was 5 minutes ago.

|

12/22/2018 1:34 PM

It started some time in the mid 70's. My Dad bought a used Honda 90 that had that step though. We went to a field by the house and he showed me the controls and said have fun. I have been hooked ever since.

|

12/22/2018 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2018 1:49 PM

I do not remember it. But it was early 00's and I was 3 and it was on a pw50

|

12/22/2018 1:48 PM

My dad always rode when he was younger and I can always remember being out in the garage working on anything and everything with him. I can remember being really little and him having a white & blue 88 Banshee that he would take me on. Shortly after he had a 96 that I still own today. I was 4 years old when we bought my first bike, a 96 pw50. About two weeks later we had to go buy a pw80 because my older sister had learned how to ride and wanted a bike for herself. I raced quiet a bit in Ohio as a little kid in the ama district 12 but got out of it due to cost. Then I got a 2000 kx65 and rode it for a long time. Got to big for the 65 and didn’t race anymore so I turned to riding our other quad a 99 warrior. Rode that until my cousins boyfriend let me borrow his clapped out 01 cr125. Fully rebuilt that 96 banshee and rode it in the trails for a few years until I bought a 03 rm125 from one of my riding buddies who was older and had a few bikes. Owned it for about 6 months and bought a 2011 YZ250 that was basically brand new. Bought that YZ in September of 2013 and still have and love it. Back in August of ‘18 I got a YZ250F. I race the local two stroke shootout every year and that’s about it. I ride the practice tracks just about every weekend in the summer for fun. This sport has always stuck with me and hopefully I can pass it down when I have kids someday

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

12/22/2018 1:49 PM

1977 RM80
Racing Friday nights at Indian Dunes

|

12/22/2018 1:55 PM

I was started young... Still have that old KX60 too...

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/22/2018 1:56 PM

I think it was 99' my dad bought me a used cr50. Took me to Ocotillo wells where we camped. He sat and drank beers while I rode around in circles.

After about three trips I gave him the old "I wanna go over there" He bought a used Yz426 and learned how to ride with me. It was pretty cool experience. I don't think I would have even graduated college if it wasn't for dirt bikes.

|

12/22/2018 2:35 PM

Great stuff

|

12/22/2018 4:56 PM

Had a uncle that somehow managed to survive 40 year racing the Isle of Man TT The boys next door to us were in to bikes so between them had a interest in them Twice a year there was a mx race on 10 mile down the road which I got to watch my first meeting around 1973 There was a guy who was so fast he won every race by a mile and could not keep the front wheel on the ground All that I knew that he was from Aberdeen Took a good few years before I found out who I had been watching It was Vic Allan Anyway used to go and watch it sometimes after that but did not care for it to much as there was always someone getting injured Think it was the bikes I was getting to like and on the 26th of April 1979 my life would never be the same again as I bought my first ever Dirt Bike Magazine It cost me 60pence a fortune when you are still a school kid! They were testing the RM 400 and I read it time after time They described what it was like to race a open class bike and I just knew that I had to race after that So that is how I got started a good year later Can remember the date as it was my brothers birthday ps my uncle stood on the podium 4 times at the Isle of Man TT As far as I know only 2 riders ever managed to do it on a Maico He was1 of them

s

|

12/22/2018 5:15 PM

It started when my grandfather bought me a 1994 Z50 in like 97ish. I wouldve been 8 at the time. The first time I rode it, like a goon I whiskey throttled into a wooden fence and my body kept me from going the whole way through. I loved riding that thing. I remember one time my grandpa was trying to show off and he looped out riding a wheelie and me and my dad lost it. Good memories, miss those simpler days.

|

12/22/2018 6:57 PM

Got a 92 RM125 in 94 for Christmas from my dad. After lurking around MX for years at GP’s in the U.K. and going to the Des Nations in 94 as a young kid never looked back!

|

12/22/2018 7:35 PM

A New 1975 MT125 christmas president got me where I am today.

|

12/22/2018 7:50 PM

Back in the late 60's. My neighbor down the street was letting us ride his mini bike around his front lawn. He charged us a quarter for every 3 laps. After that, my first bike was an SL100, a green one. Five decades later, I can still remember what it felt like, what the weather was like and how much trouble I got in because I stole all the loose change out of every coin jar in the house blush

|

12/22/2018 8:09 PM

Mosier Valley, 1994 I think it was? Uncle raced, went out to watch him on a night race and the obsession began. Still have that poor old '84 KDX80 I learned on. Bike took a beating!

|

12/22/2018 9:06 PM

Went to my first race in 1972 or 73, I remember the smells, perfect track conditions from a light drizzle, red, white and blue banners, Bultoco, Ossa, Penton and Hodaka. The big highlight was number plates, no keys and knobby tires, oh, and track burgers.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

12/22/2018 9:22 PM

1979 Dad scored a '77 Suzuki DS80 from a work associate, went to football saturday morning, came home rode for first time never went to football again. Next came the 1980 XR 80 and junior enduros. Next came the 1981 YZ80 and NEMA season. Now I was a motocrosser! Fame and fortune was at my beck and call. I definitely found what I liked! My soul and passion ever since.

|

THERE IS NO SECOND MOTO IN LIFE!

12/22/2018 10:09 PM

'70 ish ... watching flat track and TT riders fly by as I was up in the announcing tower at my family's track. Track is still there though none of the family is involved. Hearing the steel shoes that were strapped onto the engineer boots most everybody wore was too cool. I was 6. Started helping at the local mx track as a family we knew were heavy into mx in the '70's.
Took a bit to get my first mx bike then took a lot longer to get married-divorced, move out of state, lay new roots get another bike and as much as I sucked at it, start riding again.
Everyone's path is different, yet there's an amazing similarly. We all were hooked at a very early age. Some of us had to wait a bit more than others to get our boots muddy.

|

12/22/2018 10:11 PM

My interest started by looking at the minibikes in the Sears catalog, the tube frame ones with Tecumseh or Briggs and Stratton engines. When we moved to the country in 1978, my parents paid for half of a very well used 1971 Yamaha JT1 Mini Enduro while I paid the other half of the $75 price tag. I miss those days.

|

12/22/2018 10:43 PM

Wow, Good thread.

|

Sometimes, Gravity just sucks.

12/23/2018 1:49 AM

My older brother raced moto from an early age. I had an 89' KX60 (or was it a 65?) at the time. I went to every race, loved it but my passion was for Downhill MTB.

I sold my jump bike and he quit racing at about 26-27 I suddenly wasn't getting my moto fix anymore so I bought a 250f about 3 years ago!

|

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure.

12/23/2018 2:04 AM

A blustery day at Sprockets Park in Bakersfield in the winter of 1970. My older brother had just got a new Kawasaki G31M Centurion. Tons of riders ,spectators. I was 7 years old. When it gets in your blood, it never leaves. I had ridden in the foothills, and around the yard since 5, but that race did something to me. Photo

|

12/23/2018 2:07 AM

This Xmas 40 yrs ago I got my 1st bike, 1974 XR75. I was an active kid playing footy and surfing, spent years chasing other kids around the bush. I rode the wheels off that bike, rebuilt it twice, learnt how to keep it running. The footy and surfing gradually ended but not motorcycles. It's what keeps me grounded. Photo

|

12/23/2018 2:20 AM

Everyone I knew was moving from BMX to motorbikes so i had to follow. Loved BMX and took a while to get the hang of moto. I started in 1984 and this was my first bike. Photo

|

12/23/2018 2:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2018 2:12 PM

Awesome thread, for me it was MXGP of Poland, 1996 or 1997.
I was 7 or 8 years old at the time, Dad took me to see the races.
I was hooked from that moment on, dreamed to one day be like those motorcycle heroes and just riiiiide.
Fast forward, got my first bike a couple of years back and it turned out to be even more fun, than I expected.

Brings back some memories:

Btw. It was the best track I have ever seen in my life, too bad I never got a chance to ride it.
|

12/23/2018 2:40 PM

Started here, my dad taking me for a ride on my grandpas 79 YZ. Even cooler that we still have that bike and him and I have both been doing some vintage racing on it the last few years. Photo

Photo

|

12/23/2018 5:06 PM

Gibsonton Florida 1970 SST 50 Photo

then 1971 TS185 with knobby tires Photo ,
in 1973 Photo

|

12/23/2018 5:39 PM

3HP minibike. 1973.

|