Where are all the "Chase" fans now?

TankSlapper
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2017 7:15pm
|
Johnny Depp
5/12/2017 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 4:29pm
A Chase is not the answer. Just because we have 1 exciting season every decade or so doesn't mean the current system is good either.

Johnny Ringo
5/12/2017 4:30pm
You want a season that exciting every year? That's exactly what the chase will do
TankSlapper
5/12/2017 5:48pm
You want a season that exciting every year? That's exactly what the chase will do
Really?

If they would have reset the points after round 7, Tomac would have won the championship by 24 points. He would have had a 15 point lead going into Vegas.

How does having fewer rounds that count insure a close championship every season?
5/12/2017 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 5:56pm
I'll let you know when I first see who's leading in points if it's a good idea

The Shop

BobPA
5/12/2017 6:00pm
Really? If they would have reset the points after round 7, Tomac would have won the championship by 24 points. He would have had a 15...
Really?

If they would have reset the points after round 7, Tomac would have won the championship by 24 points. He would have had a 15 point lead going into Vegas.

How does having fewer rounds that count insure a close championship every season?
Who said they would reset it after only round 7?
beamer
5/12/2017 6:41pm
I got an idea , give the fastest guy a 1 race full points penalty at the start if the season.
gt80rider
5/12/2017 6:46pm
Big chase fan because of ax...

And yes, this season kicked ass! Why? Because we lucked out and got a naturally occurring chase in sx this year. Wish it was like this Every year. But you know it won't be. But it could be if they implemented the chase format.
Crush
5/12/2017 6:58pm
As Weege always says, you take this example and i'll take the other almost always that doesn't work out like this.

Since 90, the premier class has come down to the final round in 92, 97, 2000, 2003, 2004 (due to AMA), 2006, 2009, 2011 and 2017. The rest were blowouts, some as early as two rounds early but effectively a third of the way in.

In fact, due to the weirdness of the season, we actually probably saw more what a chase might be... being drama filled with multiple story-lines coming into the final part of the season.

Put it this way, if Kenny's arm doesn't get better, you better like Eli's podium banter.
bultokid
5/12/2017 7:48pm
Chase, hey why stop what that bs crap.....have WWE ADD Death Cage Match, alligator moat jump, M18 claymore whoop section and top it off with electric bikes.....Chase should stick to Napcar
cameron96
5/12/2017 7:52pm
If the chase guarantees (90%) that the title goes to vagas, then hopefully we will see more of this bulking technique that Tomac did and more team tactics!

I'm on board
Katoomey
5/12/2017 7:55pm
beamer wrote:
I got an idea , give the fastest guy a 1 race full points penalty at the start if the season.
yeah...we'll call it the Sandbagger Nationals... ought to be a hoot.

akillerwombat
5/12/2017 8:16pm
bultokid wrote:
Chase, hey why stop what that bs crap.....have WWE ADD Death Cage Match, alligator moat jump, M18 claymore whoop section and top it off with electric...
Chase, hey why stop what that bs crap.....have WWE ADD Death Cage Match, alligator moat jump, M18 claymore whoop section and top it off with electric bikes.....Chase should stick to Napcar
You had me at alligator moat jump.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
5/12/2017 9:21pm
It depends on what Felds goal and the format of the chase is. Is Felds goal pure entertainment or for a race that puts the riders at maximum effort so people don't coast through the end of the season.

If it's a point reset and everyone that has qualified for the chase starts even in points again at the 3/4 mark of the series then it's just a gimmick to punish the riders that were better at the beginning of the season and it nullifies the first 3/4's of the season.

If it's an qualify to get in, then elimination format like NASCAR currently is then it will make the beginning races important and the final races as exciting as Vegas. But it will still be a manufactured entertainment.

If the elimination format was something like:

First 10 races (Qualifying Races): 10 riders qualify for the Chase.
All race winners make it into the chase, it puts the pressure to win. You would get chase points that carry over to the first round. You win, you're in. So if a rider wins A1 then gets hurt, he is still in the chase in 11 weeks.
The remaining spots would be filled by points.

During the Elimination Chase, a win moves you to the next round.

Races 11 &12: 10 Riders try to qualify for the final 8. Bottom 2 are knocked out

Races 13 & 14: 8 riders try to qualify for the final 6. Bottom 2 are knocked out.

Races 15 &16: 6 riders try to qualify for the final 4. Bottom 2 are knocked out.

Race 17: 4 riders race to be the champion. Winner take all. High intensity final and everyone would tune in.

If we went into Vegas with Dungey, Tomac, Musquin, and Anderson all having a shot at the title. There wouldn't have been team tactics. It would be who wants it the most.

It makes every race an important race. People don't like the Nascar chase, because it is so unpredictable that the favorite doesn't always win. You have to have consistent good rounds, 3 bad races in a row and you're out. It's high drama and every driver is on the edge to make the next round.
Ted722
5/12/2017 11:26pm
Here's another take. Not a fan of "resetting" or taking away points from the leaders in a virtual(fake)bunch them up. But, something I have thrown around is if you want to put more emphasis on the last 6-7 rounds and winning, increase the margin of points awarded to the winner.

So, a standard win is worth 3 points over 2nd, but for the last 6-7 races, increase that margin to 5 or 6 points. Putting more emphasis/reward on winning, for the last 1/3 of the season, could make for some very interesting April's and May's more consistently.than it has in the past 35 plus years.
Deja New
5/13/2017 2:51am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2017 2:55am
What about a points system like ten pin bowling.... 3 wins in a row in the last frame = bonus points or a championship if you get a wicked split spare like Osborne did Wink
All jokes aside a win streak should be rewarded.
THEOUTSIDER
5/13/2017 3:26am
This season only re-emphasizes how important it is to have close points right down to the end. Via the chase or what have you? Something needs to facilitate this same scenario every season.

kkawboy14
5/13/2017 7:01am
Exactly!

Normally there is not a chase like what we had this year! Add in 5 more ridersslamming each other, sic
kkawboy14
5/13/2017 7:02am
This season only re-emphasizes how important it is to have close points right down to the end. Via the chase or what have you? Something needs...
This season only re-emphasizes how important it is to have close points right down to the end. Via the chase or what have you? Something needs to facilitate this same scenario every season.

Agreed!
Indy mxer
5/13/2017 8:15am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2017 10:56am
This season only re-emphasizes how important it is to have close points right down to the end. Via the chase or what have you? Something needs...

kkawboy14 wrote:
Agreed!
Yep you guys are right on the money. I love our sport but also enjoy NASCAR.
Been following that for years. The chase has been a great addition.
Drivers race their asses off trying to get that 1 win to lock them into the chase.
Then the chase itself is a brawl. SX and MX would both benefit from something similar.

I go to the Ironman mx every year and the racing there is is not great. It's easy to see the crowds have declined each year.
The points are usually a done deal at that point and the riders are just mailing it in to get the long season over.
You can see it in the way they ride. I'm thinking about skipping it this year. Not much drama, so it's kind of a waste of money.
IWreckALot
5/13/2017 8:23am
Out of the last few seasons, which would have had a different winner with a chase format? This year only. What effect are we going for again?
Johnny Ringo
5/13/2017 8:37am
IWreckALot wrote:
Out of the last few seasons, which would have had a different winner with a chase format? This year only. What effect are we going for...
Out of the last few seasons, which would have had a different winner with a chase format? This year only. What effect are we going for again?
A closer points battle...an exciting final round
Zalev
5/13/2017 8:52am
Lmao, chase, let's destroy motocross for fat rednecks behind the tv screen entertainment. Stick to napcar punks.
Crush
5/13/2017 8:58am
IWreckALot wrote:
Out of the last few seasons, which would have had a different winner with a chase format? This year only. What effect are we going for...
You're not going to effect the key dynamics of the sport, that is how fucking hard it is and how much confidence plays a part...

But doesn't mean you can't interject some interest through some format changes and potential for story lines.

We've had enough dominant runs of one guy to know what we'll likely get if there isn't change.
5/13/2017 9:06am

kkawboy14 wrote:
Agreed!
Indy mxer wrote:
Yep you guys are right on the money. I love our sport but also enjoy NASCAR. Been following that for years. The chase has been a...
Yep you guys are right on the money. I love our sport but also enjoy NASCAR.
Been following that for years. The chase has been a great addition.
Drivers race their asses off trying to get that 1 win to lock them into the chase.
Then the chase itself is a brawl. SX and MX would both benefit from something similar.

I go to the Ironman mx every year and the racing there is is not great. It's easy to see the crowds have declined each year.
The points are usually a done deal at that point and the riders are just mailing it in to get the long season over.
You can see it in the way they ride. I'm thinking about skipping it this year. Not much drama, so it's kind of a waste of money.
Don't do it, Indybro!

You know we had our Nat in Gainesville taken away (albeit not for attendance), and it still sucks that the only pro race in Florida is Daytona.

What am I trying to say? Once it is gone, it is hard to get back.
level
5/13/2017 9:34am
I used to be for the chase but now not so much. Better to keep like it is.
kkawboy14
5/13/2017 9:53am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2017 10:03am
IWreckALot wrote:
We want 8 guys osborning each other in the last turn
davis224
Fantasy
165th
5/13/2017 11:30am
IWreckALot wrote:
The chase would be a different scenario. It's impossible to say every rider would finish/perform the same if the circumstances were different. Would Tomac have choked earlier if he had gotten the points lead after the 2nd chase race? Would Dungey have pushed harder after the reset? Would it have lit an even bigger fire underneath Musquin since he now had a much more realistic shot at the title?
cmarona463
5/13/2017 1:48pm
This is a serious question for all of the people who are against the chase for the reasoning, "it takes emphasis away from the rounds before the chase and punishes a guy who was good all year". Do you not realize, that the same could be said about every other major sport that has a playoff system?

If an NFL team goes 17-0, they are seeded #1 in their conference, and get a bye week. That is their reward for performing well during the season. But, it is entirely possible that in their first playoff game, they could lose to a 10-7 team. Is that unfair to them since they were good all year long?

Same thing goes for MLB, NBA, NHL.

With a chase format in Supercross, riders would still have to be consistently good during the "regular season" rounds in order to qualify for the "chase" rounds.
Johnny Depp
5/13/2017 2:24pm
cmarona463 wrote:
This is a serious question for all of the people who are against the chase for the reasoning, "it takes emphasis away from the rounds before...
This is a serious question for all of the people who are against the chase for the reasoning, "it takes emphasis away from the rounds before the chase and punishes a guy who was good all year". Do you not realize, that the same could be said about every other major sport that has a playoff system?

If an NFL team goes 17-0, they are seeded #1 in their conference, and get a bye week. That is their reward for performing well during the season. But, it is entirely possible that in their first playoff game, they could lose to a 10-7 team. Is that unfair to them since they were good all year long?

Same thing goes for MLB, NBA, NHL.

With a chase format in Supercross, riders would still have to be consistently good during the "regular season" rounds in order to qualify for the "chase" rounds.
No adult conversation allowed in Vital. Makes too much sense. And I don't even want a Chase, I want other things tinkered with like a 1 point per position win system.

Is this when I am supposed to throw a tantrum and swear to never go or watch another race if they change it?

Post a reply to: Where are all the "Chase" fans now?

The Latest