Where Were You When...

jasonv43
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 9:28pm
(Insert any major motocross / supercross / rider accomplishment / injury / event that you witnessed)

Examples:
I was at the Collisium in 92 when Bradshaw choked and couldn't pass Cooper for fourth allowing Stanton to take the title that year.

I was in the Staples Center the year Pastrana pulled the Double Backflip. There was so much excitement in that place and it was so cool and amazing to witness it in person like that.
|
Spahnzuki
5/23/2012 2:44pm
I was at X Games (2002) in Philadelphia when Metzgar pulled off the back to back flips for the first time. I know..no big deal now.
slipdog
5/23/2012 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2012 2:49pm
I've seen a lot of shit, bro!

As I'm sure many on this forum have too

Was at the World Mini when Tommy Clowers and Buddy Antunez got in a fight mid moto!

Also saw David Bailey crash at Huron... (sad face)
ocscottie
5/23/2012 2:47pm
I was at the Oakland SX when "The Jammer" ran the paddle tire and i was horse for days after from screaming for Hannah to pass him, but every time he got close he ate a face full of roost from the paddle...

Also witnessed the "Massacre at Saddleback" battle between Hannah and Howerton.

DVD promo:
https://youtu.be/EQskCHzVZXM
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
5/23/2012 2:51pm
Watched Danny Storbeck land on Rick Johnson at Gatorback in practice, I think it was 1989.

Which was the beginning of the end of RJ's career.

The Shop

5/23/2012 2:55pm
I was at the Daytona SX when the first four stroke qualified. Lance Smail on a 550 KTM.
Switch
5/23/2012 3:00pm
I watched Ricky drop back down to the 125 at Steel City

Watched Brock Sellards beat RC straight up in 2 moto's at Kenworthy's (year?)

Watched Josh Hansen win in 04 on a YOT YZ250F in Indy, even though he was a west coast rider.

Watched RC's first supercross.. as ugly as it was

Was front row at LL in '95 (I think) when the guys from Pro Circuit and Team Green rolled out a KX125 while saying "Congratulations Ricky, here is your first 125!" Also that year, I saw for the first, and only to my knowledge, KX80 run at Loretta's with chrome backgrounds and a black number 1. They were even strict on the color scheme back then, it was cool to see at the time.

Watched Bradshaw win at High Point on the Manchester Honda ('97 maybe?)

Watched Kelly Smith win KTM its first race int he US at High Point

Watched Grant Langstons wheel fall apart as he came up the hill to the finish at Steel City, causing him the 125 title to Brown that year.
Switch
5/23/2012 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2012 3:05pm
Watched LaRocco's last, and most memorable win in Indy, then watched him take his son on a victory lap around the stadium. I had mostly attended that one during the McGrath era, where everyone left after the first 5 laps to beat traffic. I dont remember seeing an empty section the night Mike won the hometown supercross.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
5/23/2012 3:08pm
Watched Bradshaw crash three times and still win the 125cc main event Supercross in Miami, 1988 I think.

Watched RC race his final Supercross race at Orlando, him and Stewart put on an incredible show.

Watched Doug Domokos wheelie the entire Supercross track in Daytona 1977.
dboivin
5/23/2012 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2012 3:13pm
In 82' watched danny storbeck, lowell thompson, shawn kalos and few others battle at the first LL's.

also watched Lechien and Keith Bowen in some of the best races down there that same year.

in 87' went into final motos at Ponca with the lowest point totals in 125 novice...only to crash out in first turn. I think Mike Brown got the overall and Jeremy McGrath was top 5. Sad
newmann
5/23/2012 3:16pm
jasonv43 wrote:
(Insert any major motocross / supercross / rider accomplishment / injury / event that you witnessed) Examples: I was at the Collisium in 92 when Bradshaw...
(Insert any major motocross / supercross / rider accomplishment / injury / event that you witnessed)

Examples:
I was at the Collisium in 92 when Bradshaw choked and couldn't pass Cooper for fourth allowing Stanton to take the title that year.

I was in the Staples Center the year Pastrana pulled the Double Backflip. There was so much excitement in that place and it was so cool and amazing to witness it in person like that.
When Bradshaw choked and couldn't pass Cooper?

Had Bradshaw won the C/Ship, his contract would have renewed automatically for no more money. Instead, he was free to renegotiate for what was probably the largest contract ever at the time. It all went to shit anyway, but from what I've been told there was no choke to it. And, I was cursing at the TV when that race was going on.Woohoo
slowvet
5/23/2012 3:17pm
ocscottie wrote:
I was at the Oakland SX when "The Jammer" ran the paddle tire and i was horse for days after from screaming for Hannah to pass...
I was at the Oakland SX when "The Jammer" ran the paddle tire and i was horse for days after from screaming for Hannah to pass him, but every time he got close he ate a face full of roost from the paddle...

DVD promo:
I always thought the paddle tire debacle was in Texas for some reason. My memory is shot!
Spartacus
5/23/2012 3:20pm
Where were you when the Euros came and raced at Pepperell?

Please note all the rider safety equipment! Nice 3 1/2" rear suspension travel too.

Highsider
5/23/2012 3:25pm
Standing on my stickered ice chest, a very young Ricky Johnson dislocated his hip right in front of me.
This was at the super-funky substitute track in East St Louis at a drag strip, with a totally man-made track on hard, flat ground.
slipdog
5/23/2012 3:29pm
slipdog wrote:
I've seen a lot of shit, bro! As I'm sure many on this forum have too Was at the World Mini when Tommy Clowers and Buddy...
I've seen a lot of shit, bro!

As I'm sure many on this forum have too

Was at the World Mini when Tommy Clowers and Buddy Antunez got in a fight mid moto!

Also saw David Bailey crash at Huron... (sad face)
I saw RJ chase the Dogger into his box van at the Golden State National.

Was there when Bubba let Reed past so he could pass him back at 'Dilla.

Saw Lance Smail chase Mike Healey around the van with Healey's works marzocci forks till he agreed to pay his share of the gas money.
JW381
5/23/2012 3:31pm
I was at Washougal in 2006 when Ricky and James (two of the fastest and most dedicated riders to ever ride dirtbikes) did battle for 30+2 two times that day. The racing was amazing, and atmosphere was electric. I remember it like it was yesterday. I also got hit square in the nuts during practice by a flying rock.....
jasonv43
5/23/2012 3:38pm
jasonv43 wrote:
(Insert any major motocross / supercross / rider accomplishment / injury / event that you witnessed) Examples: I was at the Collisium in 92 when Bradshaw...

Examples:

newmann wrote:
When Bradshaw choked and couldn't pass Cooper? Had Bradshaw won the C/Ship, his contract would have renewed automatically for no more money. Instead, he was free...

Had Bradshaw won the C/Ship, his contract would have renewed automatically for no more money. Instead, he was free to renegotiate for what was probably the largest contract ever at the time. It all went to shit anyway, but from what I've been told there was no choke to it. And, I was cursing at the TV when that race was going on.Woohoo
So it sounds like maybe it was done on purpose?Shocked

I was at the Coliseum in 91 (I think that sounds right) when Bradshaw pushed Bayle wide up in the parastyles and was hanging off the bike when he crossed the finish line. I hated Bayle back then.
JW381
5/23/2012 3:40pm
jasonv43 wrote:

Examples:

newmann wrote:
When Bradshaw choked and couldn't pass Cooper? Had Bradshaw won the C/Ship, his contract would have renewed automatically for no more money. Instead, he was free...

jasonv43 wrote:
So it sounds like maybe it was done on purpose?:ohmy: I was at the Coliseum in 91 (I think that sounds right) when Bradshaw pushed Bayle...

I was at the Coliseum in 91 (I think that sounds right) when Bradshaw pushed Bayle wide up in the parastyles and was hanging off the bike when he crossed the finish line. I hated Bayle back then.
Interesante.
jasonv43
5/23/2012 3:42pm
ocscottie wrote:
I was at the Oakland SX when "The Jammer" ran the paddle tire and i was horse for days after from screaming for Hannah to pass...

DVD promo:
Is there footage anywhere of the Oakland SX? Would love to see that.

Oh and Hannah is just a bad ass. There is still nobody like him.
Pdub
5/23/2012 3:48pm
I was at the LA Coliseum ('98? '99?) when Doug Henry stalled his thumper after leading the whole race, handing the win to a then-unknown Sebastien Tortelli.

And i was at Glen Helen the next year, when Tortelli used his new factory Honda to spank EVERYBODY for the 250 win.

That's just two of many... I've been fortunate!
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/23/2012 3:49pm
I was here....

The filming of Winners Take All at the Dallas supercross.

Guy Cooper famously crashing on the quad in Houston.

Langston throwing away his first supercross win in Houston right in front of me.

Preston passing Langston for his first win ever at Houston, and Husqvarna's only win.

Stewart's first supercross in Dallas 2002, where he crashed a thousand times.

Langston jumping the berm at Dallas, I think, on the KTM 250.

Carmichael clinching the 2005 supercross championship in Houston.

James Stewart's first ever 250cc win at Houston in 2005.

Andrew Short's first ever 125cc win at Houston in 2005.

Carmichael's up close and personal meeting with a boat in Dallas.

Attending the first ever national at Freestone and first ever supercross at Reliant Stadium.

USA wins MXDN 2010 at Lakewood.

Malcom Stewart's first race ever in Houston.

Canard's first ever 450 win ever in Houston.

That is all I can think of right now. Seems like crazy stuff always happens at the Texas rounds.
Go big or go back to Arkansas.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
5/23/2012 4:11pm
jasonv43 wrote:

Examples:

newmann wrote:

jasonv43 wrote:
So it sounds like maybe it was done on purpose?:ohmy: I was at the Coliseum in 91 (I think that sounds right) when Bradshaw pushed Bayle...

I was at that race in the coliseum also, that was a crazy finish.

Good thread.
ocscottie
5/23/2012 4:18pm
jasonv43 wrote:
Is there footage anywhere of the Oakland SX? Would love to see that. Oh and Hannah is just a bad ass. There is still nobody like...
Is there footage anywhere of the Oakland SX? Would love to see that.

Oh and Hannah is just a bad ass. There is still nobody like him.
There is the clip that Todd put up from a segment of "The MX Files - Jimmy Weinert"

https://youtu.be/HfnCE_dTmVA
Sully
5/23/2012 4:19pm
I was at the San Diego Supercross the night The Dogger won on a YZ250 he bought when his Yamaha contract ended.

I was also there when Ryan Hughes won the 125 race the day after his dad died.
ocscottie
5/23/2012 4:23pm
Dude, after that vid plays, look in the related vids, Magoo clip....man....left me speechless. Sad
RexBackman
5/23/2012 4:33pm
- Oakland SX and Jimmy Weinert's paddle tire...

- '72 Indian Dunes when Brad Lackey raced the Kawi 450 for one of the first times (it was painted black)...

- '77 Keithsburg, IL National when Magoo holeshot and led for a short while...

- 73,74,75 Plymouth Hangtown races - epic, epic motocross!...

- Livermore Carnegie Trans Am when DeCoster's bike split in two...

- Carlsbad USGPs in 74 & 75 - Wolsink, Staten, etc...

- Richmond Ramblers Mini MX prior to Sears Point Trans Am 75? 76? Marty Tripes on a 250cc Bultaco mini...
Switch
5/23/2012 4:35pm
Watched RV rule the world on a 250F in Maryland once..
jasonv43
5/23/2012 4:45pm
Switch wrote:
Watched RV rule the world on a 250F in Maryland once..
I was waiting for somebody to mention that.

I was there too.Cool
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
5/23/2012 4:47pm
I watched RC lap them all...
HuskyEd
5/23/2012 4:47pm
11/30/1975 - Saddleback Trans-Am when Jim West passed on. Sad day to be a Motocross fan. Sad
captmoto
5/23/2012 5:06pm
The first and second "Superbowl of Motocross" in 72 and 73. Marty Tripes won both. The massacre at Saddleback. Flagging press day at Anaheim before MC won his first SX. When he came out he totally outclassed everyone that was there. It was easy to predict a win for him.

Post a reply to: Where Were You When...

The Latest