When will the Alta...

redrider400
Edited Date/Time 7/30/2018 3:44am
Realistically, when do you think there will be a top pro rider that competes on the Alta? I know rules will have to change, but I personally think it would be awesome.
|
Solidkm
7/27/2018 5:19am
Not understanding this fucking Alta craze. Ya, ya, I get it. “Go ride one and you’ll see.” I don’t care. I like my motor, I like my clutch, and I like shifting. Even if my lap times are improved, I’m not drinking the Koolaid. Just my two cents

The Shop

flopper12
Fantasy
2310th
7/27/2018 5:33am
It's the lack of regular maintenance that gives me a moto-boner. Damn, between conflicting work schedules with my wife, a rowdy 2 year old son, a small farm to keep up on.....I don't have time to rub my nuts let alone check the valves on my 250f....so I have to pay someone to do that. Air filters? May as well buy a new one every ride.

Honestly I really didn't get it either until I rode one at the Demo Day during the Full Gas Sprint Enduro held at the Jolly Mine in Wellston, OH. I could have raced that MXR no issues. The AER forks worked great. I can't imagine how good it could be once set up properly for me.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
658th
7/27/2018 5:36am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2018 5:37am
Solidkm wrote:
Not understanding this fucking Alta craze. Ya, ya, I get it. “Go ride one and you’ll see.” I don’t care. I like my motor, I like...
Not understanding this fucking Alta craze. Ya, ya, I get it. “Go ride one and you’ll see.” I don’t care. I like my motor, I like my clutch, and I like shifting. Even if my lap times are improved, I’m not drinking the Koolaid. Just my two cents
This is pretty much how I feel too
Solidkm
7/27/2018 5:41am
flopper12 wrote:
It's the lack of regular maintenance that gives me a moto-boner. Damn, between conflicting work schedules with my wife, a rowdy 2 year old son, a...
It's the lack of regular maintenance that gives me a moto-boner. Damn, between conflicting work schedules with my wife, a rowdy 2 year old son, a small farm to keep up on.....I don't have time to rub my nuts let alone check the valves on my 250f....so I have to pay someone to do that. Air filters? May as well buy a new one every ride.

Honestly I really didn't get it either until I rode one at the Demo Day during the Full Gas Sprint Enduro held at the Jolly Mine in Wellston, OH. I could have raced that MXR no issues. The AER forks worked great. I can't imagine how good it could be once set up properly for me.
I feel you on the busy schedule. Especially have a toddler. My schedule is a little better, and allows me to work on the bikes. I think I enjoy tinkering and wrenching on them as much as riding them.
kb228
7/27/2018 5:49am
Solidkm wrote:
Not understanding this fucking Alta craze. Ya, ya, I get it. “Go ride one and you’ll see.” I don’t care. I like my motor, I like...
I felt the same way until i got to looking at how the maintenance is chassis only. My inherent laziness makes me want one for that reason. When they add a clutch ill likely look seriously into getting one.
7/27/2018 5:53am
Solidkm wrote:
....no, no, you don't get it... you haven't ridden one. You haven't even been served any kool-aid. That is why you aren't understanding this "fucking craze"
OldYZRider1
7/27/2018 6:09am
Realistically, when do you think there will be a top pro rider that competes on the Alta? I know rules will have to change, but I...
Realistically, when do you think there will be a top pro rider that competes on the Alta? I know rules will have to change, but I personally think it would be awesome.
I'll bet there will be a top rider on a Japanese electric MX'er in AMA proMX before there is one on an ALTA.
7/27/2018 6:15am
flopper12 wrote:
It's the lack of regular maintenance that gives me a moto-boner. Damn, between conflicting work schedules with my wife, a rowdy 2 year old son, a...

If you have time to drive your bike to a shop and pick it up, you have time to check your valves. Takes a half hour.
OldYZRider1
7/27/2018 6:16am
Solidkm wrote:
That attitude reminds me of what like alot of us what us two strokers were expressing 15 years ago when the four stroke motors were coming on the scene. Look how that worked out for the two stroke MX'er marketplace.
crt32
7/27/2018 6:16am
Solidkm wrote:
Agree 100%. Some of my greatest memories are working in the garage with my dad and trying to rebuild a motor overnight before the race in the morning. Working on your motorcycle provides you with mechanical skills and gives you the confidence and knowledge to tackle other projects around the house (car, water heater, etc.) I get where people are touting the "no maintenance" aspect, but as others have said that's 1/2 the battle and 1/2 the fun of owning a dirt bike. Tinkering on your bike gives you a reason to be in the garage (with your TV, Fridge, Stereo) and escape everyday life. Instead of thinking as working on your bike as time spent away from your family think about it as an opportunity to spend time with your family and teach life lessons (hard work, maintenance, finances, relate it to school like math, physics, science.)

Sure, owning an Alta will likely make you faster on the track; but where is the fun if it takes no skill, just twist the throttle and hold on. To me that changes the whole sport. And ya they'll eliminate sound pollution, but the same people protesting noise will find another way to shut you down (dust, rubber tires, endangering children, etc); people like that, want to control your fun, and I don't buy the argument that eliminate noise and enter utopia.

Sorry for the long morning rant, I think innovation is great, and believe there is a place for the Alta within the sports sector, I just don't think they the greatest thing since slice bread, I'll stick to my two-stroke and garage evenings.
flopper12
Fantasy
2310th
7/27/2018 6:22am
flopper12 wrote:

If you have time to drive your bike to a shop and pick it up, you have time to check your valves. Takes a half hour.
I didn't say I was loading it up, I have a mechanic come to me. When I'm not working I have my son, and it's hard to do much with him glued to me. Hopefully my wife will get this new position at work and her hours will change to 7-3 Mon-Fri. That will be a game changer. Right now, I just do what I have time for, which isn't much. I've been trying to find time to change my front and rear wheel bearings for a week now.
Solidkm
7/27/2018 6:24am
Solidkm wrote:
That attitude reminds me of what like alot of us what us two strokers were expressing 15 years ago when the four stroke motors were coming...
That attitude reminds me of what like alot of us what us two strokers were expressing 15 years ago when the four stroke motors were coming on the scene. Look how that worked out for the two stroke MX'er marketplace.
I’ll be the old guy in last place then, floating the valves on a worn out 250f then. Or smelling the Klotz braaping for the kids
Solidkm
7/27/2018 6:27am
Solidkm wrote:
....no, no, you don't get it... you haven't ridden one. You haven't even been served any kool-aid. That is why you aren't understanding this "fucking craze"
Not interested. Call me a hater, that’s fair. I realize it’s a motorcycle, a dirt bike. I realize it’s progression and I respect the advance in technology. I’d ride one on a demo day, I’m not that big of a Nazi. But regardless of the performance, I wouldn’t buy one. Simply on principle. Don’t castrate me, just adding one slow mans opinion to an online forum
Cliffy615
Fantasy
2903rd
7/27/2018 6:36am
I stopped mx because of all the time and effort in the week it took to prepare to ride on the weekends,

I started Downhill mountain biking which is like a poor mans MX but I ride, stick my bike in the shed, bring it out the following weekend and then ride it again. (i'm lucky I live within an hours drive of 5 sick uplift centres which is rare.)
https://www.revolutionbikepark.co.uk/ having this on my doorstep is insane.

This is how i feel ALTA will make mx! I can't wait the sooner the better and it'll help the sport grow as there will be tracks popping up everywhere as there's is no noise restrictions.
lumpy790
7/27/2018 6:44am
Factory level rider requires serious $$$$$ deep pockets.

IMO one day there will be a E class outdoors before SX getting them the next year. 1st step being a Alta sponsored B level team.
peltier626
7/27/2018 7:22am
I would venture the real emergence will be at about 10 minutes to 4. [img]https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/008/566/qqa7ok.jpg[/img]
I would venture the real emergence will be at about 10 minutes to 4.

Bingo!
7/27/2018 7:43am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2018 7:44am
Soon as they can last an entire enduro or hare scramble, one will be sitting in my garage. My hope is that my current new bike will be replaced by an Alta in 2 or so years.

That said, I also hope to see one competing in AMA Pro Supercross & Motocross in 2 years as well.
Solidkm
7/27/2018 7:45am
Soon as they can last an entire enduro or hare scramble, one will be sitting in my garage. My hope is that my current new bike...
Soon as they can last an entire enduro or hare scramble, one will be sitting in my garage. My hope is that my current new bike will be replaced by an Alta in 2 or so years.

That said, I also hope to see one competing in AMA Pro Supercross & Motocross in 2 years as well.
But why? Honest question
Bigfoot
7/27/2018 7:47am
flopper12 wrote:

What's the hourly rate for nut-rubbing?
cpyz300
7/27/2018 7:47am
I personally don't like working on my bike one bit. Just riding it. I have other hobbies that I can do instead of realizing I need to order parts. So the argument that half the fun of owning a bike comes from working on it doesn't apply.

Electric bikes are gonna make a lot of people like me able to ride more often and save loads of time. I'll literally only reap benefits from switching to electric.
loftyair
7/27/2018 7:52am
Im an old 2-stroke lover. 4-strokes just suck, the motor sucks. Its heavy, sounds like sh*t, and costs more, what a joke. The Alta motor? Heavy, and costs more, but no continuing costs, and it sounds great! Once it gets lighter, I will covet....Sad to see that great 2-stroke go, but happy as hell to get rid of those pos 4-strokes!
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
7/27/2018 7:54am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2018 7:55am
Solidkm wrote:
Easy to explain as you may have missed this the past 100X its been posted..

The Alta will allow folks like me (and many others) to build tracks on our property and ride without pissing off the neighbors. For me this is a huge advantage. If I could get away with riding my 450 on my property I would, but I cant. It has nothing to do with hating 2S or 4S or loving electric bikes..its all about access to riding.

Instead of driving an hour to the local track..I will be able to ride out of my garage.

I am buying a 2019 Alta in the spring.

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/27/2018 8:10am
loftyair wrote:
Im an old 2-stroke lover. 4-strokes just suck, the motor sucks. Its heavy, sounds like sh*t, and costs more, what a joke. The Alta motor? Heavy...
Im an old 2-stroke lover. 4-strokes just suck, the motor sucks. Its heavy, sounds like sh*t, and costs more, what a joke. The Alta motor? Heavy, and costs more, but no continuing costs, and it sounds great! Once it gets lighter, I will covet....Sad to see that great 2-stroke go, but happy as hell to get rid of those pos 4-strokes!
Ding ding ding! Call me bitter, but I cannot wait for the day when 4-strokes are made obsolete by electric technology. I even hope the AMA or MX Sports writes a rule that fucks 4-strokes right in the ass, just like what happened to the ring dinger.
7/27/2018 8:19am
To call the Alta a "craze" exhibits some serious willful ignorance. It's here and it's real and it has substantive qualities that make it, in many ways, superior to internally combusted motorcycles. I know fathers who barely have time to ride, let alone spend time on bike maintenance. It's pretty sad if you can't find another way to spend quality time with your family and teach your kids valuable life lessons outside of the garage changing the oil in your motorcycle.

Modern internally combusted motorcycles are incredibly expensive to own and maintain. The Alta completely changes the economics of owning a dirt bike and that should be celebrated, especially by the legions of people on here complaining about how expensive dirt bikes are.

Zoom
7/27/2018 8:22am
loftyair wrote:
Im an old 2-stroke lover. 4-strokes just suck, the motor sucks. Its heavy, sounds like sh*t, and costs more, what a joke. The Alta motor? Heavy...
Alta has done a study of all the rotating mass of a 450 4 stroke engine. It equals about 60lbs. You feel that rotating mass the most when you lean the bike. The Alta has zero rotating mass from its motor. So while the Alta is heavier than most 450's, when you ride one, it feels more like a 250. You do feel the extra weight of an Alta when you lift it on to a stand, or have to pick it up off the ground.

I have sold my gas powered bikes and only ride my Alta now. I'm definitely in the camp of working on bikes less and riding them more. For those of you that enjoy working on bikes as much as riding them, the Alta would not be a good choice.

As for the thread question. AMA approved the Alta for amateur racing this year. As soon as its approved for pro racing, expect to see an Alta out their immediately. Alta is ready!

Here are a few shots of me at the birth place of where the Americans first beat the Euro's on American soil.

Bearuno
7/27/2018 9:51am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2018 10:02am
There's Zero Reciprocating Mass with the Alta motor.

But there's Certainly Rotating mass to it, and any other shafts in the power / gear train up to the chain on the front sprocket.

But there IS a Hell of a lot less Overall rotating mass than a 4t, or any ICE type engine equipped with a crank, clutch and gearbox. And all of those shafts, are spread about, all over the place.

It does Alta no favours to get it wrong. 'Antis' will jump on such f/ups.........Woohoo

But, I'm No 'anti'.

I think my next Dirt Bike that gets me to release the moths living in my Wallet, will be an Alta, or another companies Real Dirt E bike.

Reading an article about the Mugen Shinden Nana used in the IOM TT, in Augusts Performance Bikes magazine, Colin Whittamore, the head of Mugen's European wing said:

"I'd love to say that ( the project) will lead to an Electric Sports bike, but I can't...... The first spin-off is our Electric Motocross concept, which has turned into a prototype we're developing with Honda, which will be finished this year, and later turn into a production bike".

That's in reference to the bike displayed last year at a / some shows. That, many pilloried, due to it's 'Jurrasic Park / Dinosaur' like livery, and not looking past that. Getting caught up in just slagging a 'show style', is a silly thing to do.

Then there's Yamaha's E Trials bike. I've seen it being used at a recent World Trials round. Not sure if it was in an E Bike class, or in the Trials 2 class.

'Real' E Dirt Bikes, such as the Alta - Not glorified bicycles or half assed 'weirdos' - are coming soon, from the Big Manufacturers. Surely, also, KTM will offer a EXC / XC / SX chassis E Bike soon, to be beside the E Freeride.

Post a reply to: When will the Alta...

The Latest