When it comes to wrenching on your bikes...

Related:
Create New Tag

5/19/2020 10:34 AM

Just wanted to see an honest show of hands, what do most of you do when your bike breaks down.

Let's throw in maintenance to

Wrenching options

View Results

|

It aint nothing but a little bit of this and a little bit of Braaaap!!!

5/19/2020 10:42 AM

I think you need one more option of "I do almost everything, but major motor or suspension work I use a shop"

|

5/19/2020 10:45 AM

I realized as a young lad, that there was no way I could afford dirt bikes if they had to go to the shop every other Monday, after being ridden on the weekends.

Fixing them myself was an excellent learning experience that has served me well for a long time.

I figured it was the same for everybody, although I suppose some embrace it a little less.

|

2016 YZ250X

5/19/2020 10:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2020 10:50 AM

Spooner wrote:

I think you need one more option of "I do almost everything, but major motor or suspension work I use a shop"

Agreed.

I do ALL my own maintenance (bikes and cars).... I do MOST of the repairs. For the things beyond my skill level or for jobs that require specialty tools I do not have....it goes to a good independent shop.

The University of Youtube is a wonderful thing.

|

Support those who protect us....our military, law enforcement and 1st responders.

5/19/2020 10:58 AM

Spooner wrote:

Yeah cause that's 80% of the the people that race mx

|

5/19/2020 11:16 AM

Spooner wrote:

Cant seem to add it after i click edit, but I agree I should have added that!

|

5/19/2020 11:17 AM

I do everything but suspension and motor work.

|

5/19/2020 11:46 AM

I do everything but suspension and most motor work.

|

5/19/2020 11:51 AM

Spooner wrote:

This is me cool

|

5/19/2020 11:56 AM

Cant afford to pay anyone else. Do it all myself.

|

5/19/2020 12:01 PM

I do everything but suspension and motor upgrades. Motor rebuilds I will do with my pops

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/19/2020 12:36 PM

I do all my work, beside suspension and if there’s a motor issue, I sell it. (4 stroke)

|

5/19/2020 1:37 PM

Won't do suspension valving or engine work below the top end... I do everything else myself.

May attempt a 2 stroke bottom end this summer on my project CR250 engine. Knowing myself though, I'll put 1 part on wrong/backwards and get really mad then pay someone else to ultimately fix my mistake. Jack of all trades... master of none :-(

|

Life's a garden, dig it.

1996 CR250R
2016 YZ450F
2001 Suzuki Bandit 600

5/19/2020 2:01 PM

Spooner wrote:

This 100%

|

Heavy Hitter

5/19/2020 2:17 PM

I do everything 2 stroke, 4 stroke not so much...

|

5/19/2020 2:27 PM

Since I own a 2 stroke I can do 90% of my engine work...I even branched out to doing my fork seals .....bike shops are outrageous!!

|

5/19/2020 2:35 PM

Was curious because I keep getting deeper and deeper into my motors and have realized if I can do it anyone can. Take your time, read the service manual and have fun! Ive made some mistakes but thats the best way to learn and you save a ton of money. Doing cam chain, piston and cylinder on my xr400 today! Photo

|

5/19/2020 2:38 PM

I do all my own work. I've only ever had to split a case once and I'm now learning how to do my own fork seals. Pretty soon, I'll be able to do anything on a 2-stroke. That's all I'll ever need, I guess.

Wrenching on my own bike has taught me not to be afraid of disassembling other things as well: wife's car, my MTB, kids' toys... I can fix it.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

5/19/2020 4:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2020 7:26 PM

With Youtube I am not sure what holds anyone up from doing anything for themselves. Youtube can teach you to build a nuclear missile in about 10 minutes, modern four strokes are only slightly more complicated than that.

|

5/19/2020 4:07 PM

Fonzarelli wrote:

With Youtube I am not sure what holds anyone up from doing anything for themselves. Youtube can teach you to build a nuclear missile in about 10 minutes, modern four strokes are only slightly more complicated than that.

grin True
|

Braaapin' aint easy.

5/19/2020 4:24 PM

I don't have a tire machine so I'll take my streetbike tires to a shop, otherwise I've done pretty much everything else to a motorcycle myself. I have had a friend who used to work in a shock lab help me respring a set of forks before, we had to make one tool to get it apart. Engine work is easy but I've built car engines before and dirt bikes are significantly simpler.

|

Nick
-2015 Grom grocery getter
-2011 Road King Classic
-2010 WR250X supermoto

5/19/2020 4:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2020 4:48 PM

I can do it all including rebuilding cranks and boring cylinders if I had my own equipment. 2 stroke, 4 stroke, anything. I was a mechanic for 7 years. I still think doing suspension is a messy pain in the ass laughing

|

5/19/2020 9:01 PM

Caseclosed713 wrote:

I can do it all including rebuilding cranks and boring cylinders if I had my own equipment. 2 stroke, 4 stroke, anything. I was a mechanic for 7 years. I still think doing suspension is a messy pain in the ass laughing

Semi related - and I've tried to get a thread started on this before- I'd love to see some cheap DIY suspension
work spaces. Nothing big or fancy. Just something that sorta contains the mess a bit.

|

5/19/2020 9:44 PM

I’m on a very tight budget so i attempt everything myself. Last year i did a frame up build on a 06’ rm125 and was balling out while leaving at home, not one thing on that bike hadn’t been cleaned or replaced. I started to do a bottom end rebuild but realized real quick i wasn’t ready for that and just paid a shop to reassemble it for me. Because i’m a dumbass and sold it im now sitting on a 96’ cr250 with very limited money to spend on it so i’m trying to save money by just doing it everything but the suspension myself. I currently have the cases split and in the process of redoing the engine but often get hung up on something i’m not sure how to do so i end looking at photos, videos, service manuals online and so on. It all looks easy until you go to do it but i try not to get frustrated and just figure it out!

|

5/20/2020 2:15 AM

I do everything with the exception of putting nitrogen in the shock. And I’ll occasionally have my father weld something for me.

|

5/20/2020 3:17 AM

Fonzarelli wrote:

*The FBI has entered the forum 😂

|

Two wheels, tacos, and tubes

5/20/2020 4:16 AM

Backyard mechanic. I do all my own work, including motors. Only thing I use a pro for is rebuilding a crank if I don't just purchase a new one, cutting valve seats, and rear shocks (they are a mess to bleed with new oil.) WIll do all my fork maintenance, but use a pro to revalve and pay for their knowledge in that department. I pretty much assumed everyone was like me, couldn't afford to ride if I didn't.

As I'm older now, probably better at wrenching than riding with all the practice... laughing

|

5/20/2020 4:27 AM

I do everything except for suspension. I kind of want to learn but I kind of want to not mess it up and let the pro's handle it. lol Some things are better paying for and not watching a YouTube video.

|

5/20/2020 4:42 AM

FWYT wrote:

Semi related - and I've tried to get a thread started on this before- I'd love to see some cheap DIY suspension
work spaces. Nothing big or fancy. Just something that sorta contains the mess a bit.

This catches 90% of the oil mess.
Photo

|

5/20/2020 5:09 AM

I do most my own work unless it comes to splitting cases or suspension. For engine I know a (uncle,friend,neighbor, etc.) I usually pay said person in beer (and or smoke) and its usually done right. take suspension to a local guy to save $ on shipping

|