When is it time to sell?

I am 34 years old, work a job plus own my own business. I have always had a dirt bike since I was around 7 or 8 years old. With kids, business, getting older, I just don't find much of anytime to ride. Maybe 1-2 times a month if I am lucky and then in winter the bike sits from November until about May. My nephew is currently hard into racing and needing a newer bike. I keep thinking maybe it's better to help him along his journey than to have a cycle sit. I still do enjoy riding but I think I would have just as much fun on an older, less expensive bike than my current ride and wouldn't feel so bad about letting that one sit. With the market right now too its probably the time I could get the most money out of a used bike. Thoughts?
|
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
6/25/2021 6:54am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2021 6:58am
Im in a pretty similar situation. I took 7 years off riding, and picked up a bike about 5 years ago and maybe ride 2-3 a month. I have a pretty new low hour YZ450 I picked up a couple years ago new I could sell for mint right now, but I’m not selling. I may not ride as much as I once did, but those couple times a month on a new up to date bike makes all the difference with my happiness.

Edit: I’d have zero issues riding an older bike. Riding in general is something I don’t think I’ll ever give up again. The newer Yam is nice because I don’t have to worry about anything for the most part if that makes sense.
250 cross
6/25/2021 7:42am
Unless you planning quitting altogether, don't sell. You can sell high but you will also be buying high, older less expensive bikes don't exist at the moment.
walent215
6/25/2021 7:49am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2021 7:50am
I am 34 years old, work a job plus own my own business. I have always had a dirt bike since I was around 7 or...
I am 34 years old, work a job plus own my own business. I have always had a dirt bike since I was around 7 or 8 years old. With kids, business, getting older, I just don't find much of anytime to ride. Maybe 1-2 times a month if I am lucky and then in winter the bike sits from November until about May. My nephew is currently hard into racing and needing a newer bike. I keep thinking maybe it's better to help him along his journey than to have a cycle sit. I still do enjoy riding but I think I would have just as much fun on an older, less expensive bike than my current ride and wouldn't feel so bad about letting that one sit. With the market right now too its probably the time I could get the most money out of a used bike. Thoughts?
I vote to help your nephew along as you said
I miss the days of racing and practicing with my son.
It goes by so fast and they were some of the best memories .
SEE ARE125
6/25/2021 7:52am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2021 7:53am
I would sell it, collect top dollar, and just sit it out a few months. Find something else to occupy your time. Maybe on the weekends you usually ride, go to the track with your nephew and help him out with advice/support/wrenching or whatever. I think things are going to come crashing back to reality within the next 6 months to a year, but probably sooner. The used bike market will be saturated, and you can pick up another bike for cheap. What’s happening now isn’t sustainable. People are forgoing their mortgage due to Covid, and using their mortgage money for toys like boats and motorcycles. However the mortgage relief thing is coming to an end soon, and I’m sure you’ll see plenty of bikes for sale as people return to paying for the roof over their heads.

The Shop

yz133rider
6/25/2021 7:59am
I tried exactly this before and it didn’t work for me. I tried going back to an older cheaper bike because let’s face it - I’m slow anyway. But even with that mentality, I couldn’t go from my newer bike to early 2000s 2 stroke. I tried. Rode it a couple times, had zero fun, was working on it more than riding trying to have it dialed and sold it and went back to what I had.

Just another perspective, it may work for you.
GabeM
6/25/2021 8:05am
Vintage is an alternative
fourfourone
6/25/2021 8:06am
I'm the same age as you and packed with a ton of responsibility too.

I sold my yz450 last year to get top dollar.

Currently trying to buy a home(that's a whole other issue) so I can't make any large purchases right now so that means no bike purchase right now.

This is the first time is years I haven't had a bike to ride and its KILLING me. Many months over the last few years I was lucky to ride once or twice but it was still enough to keep my love in the sport.

If you can financially do it, keep the bike.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/25/2021 8:43am
Keep the bike. Don't worry; it will be an older, less expensive machine soon enough! Grinning

I'm still riding my '06 YZ250 that I bought new. I had to fight tooth and nail to keep it through the '08 economic catastrophe, but I've been able to ride all that time since. If not, I'd probably have shot someone by now.
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
6/25/2021 8:44am
I know this doesn’t relate to the original question, but when I quit riding, my body fell apart lol. I quit working out (Moto was my main motivation for keeping fit), ended up getting a bulged disc when I tried to hold in a sneeze in the morning to not wake up my daughter, etc. it was a fucking disaster of a time in my life 😂

Good luck man!
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/25/2021 8:45am
Similar situation. Have a basically new '21 YZ250F with under 3 hours on it. End of April wife was diagnosed with cancer and just been pre-occupied trying to get her healthy/dealing with treatments than go riding. I did put mine up for sale the same day we found out. Had a couple offers and let me wife know I could sell it for what I paid for it and she told me to hang onto it. I finally rode it again Wednesday, was good to get some laps in for stress relief but still thinking "do I really need this new bike" for once a month riding...going to hang onto it until I need the money. Maybe give plasma or pick up some OT at work to help your nephew? Anyhow, cool of you to help out family, good luck with your decision!
6/25/2021 8:56am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2021 8:57am
If your selling id do it quickly. Around my area starting to see used bikes for sale sitting a little longer and prices are starting to come down somewhat. Kind of related. I just sold my 2019 tundra because I couldn’t pass up the price offered for it. Lucky I have another vehicle to drive until winter time and I’m hoping used truck prices come down by then.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
6/25/2021 8:57am
Here in the U.K., I might just be talking for myself but, twice a month is pretty normal. Working mon - fri you can only ride weekends and if you have a misses and lil one who’s too young/doesn’t enjoy being at the track, you have to split your weekends between the two.
I still froth for the weekends I can ride though it’s my me time and I wouldn’t swap it for the world
Kayser618
6/25/2021 10:09am
Same here brother! do what you think is best! and your a heck of an uncle!
Day30
6/25/2021 10:22am
The feeling of not having a bike is a whole lot worse than having it and not using it much.
pie_obk
6/25/2021 10:25am
I did exactly this about a week ago. I had a new 450 that i wasn't taking seriously enough and it was just wearing me out because i was riding so infrequently. Decided to offload the 450 and step back to a smaller bike to ride with the family and start enjoying riding again.
Indy mxer
6/25/2021 12:18pm
yak651 wrote:
Similar situation. Have a basically new '21 YZ250F with under 3 hours on it. End of April wife was diagnosed with cancer and just been pre-occupied...
Similar situation. Have a basically new '21 YZ250F with under 3 hours on it. End of April wife was diagnosed with cancer and just been pre-occupied trying to get her healthy/dealing with treatments than go riding. I did put mine up for sale the same day we found out. Had a couple offers and let me wife know I could sell it for what I paid for it and she told me to hang onto it. I finally rode it again Wednesday, was good to get some laps in for stress relief but still thinking "do I really need this new bike" for once a month riding...going to hang onto it until I need the money. Maybe give plasma or pick up some OT at work to help your nephew? Anyhow, cool of you to help out family, good luck with your decision!
Wishing your wife well. Hope she gets better!
fourfourone
6/25/2021 12:31pm
yak651 wrote:
Similar situation. Have a basically new '21 YZ250F with under 3 hours on it. End of April wife was diagnosed with cancer and just been pre-occupied...
Sounds like you have a good woman! I'm Lucky to have a lady who 100% supports my hobbies.

On a side note.. I hope the best for her! Fuck cancer!
mark_swart
6/25/2021 5:11pm
Sad truth - 2-3 rides a month is probably above average for most vet riders. If you can afford it I'd keep it.
Meister
6/25/2021 5:52pm
While I wasn't faced with supporting anyone other than my wife and kiddo, I chose to stay on current stuff. I ride about as much as you do but the times I didn't have something in the garage, it was weird. Even when I had an 03 yz in the garage, I longed for a newer bike, but was definitely more content than having nothing in the garage.. I went a little off the deep end in December and bought a 21 works edition..... Lol.. Not that my way is right for you, but who doesn't like current stuff.. Hell, im actually on the fence of selling it. Not because I don't like it, because I absolutely love it. However, I have a bike bucket list and in 26 years of moto, I've never owned a kawi. The kawi 450 seems great currently.. tempting...
yz133rider
6/25/2021 6:50pm
Keep the works edition. An all new kawi has got to be coming shortly. Maybe 23.
sandtrack315
6/25/2021 6:58pm
Keep the bike. Twice a month ain’t bad. Just make those days count when you go. I ride 2-4 times a month, but when I go, I do two 40 minute motos.
Moto Nomad
6/25/2021 8:33pm
A rider's bike is like a horse for a cowboy. My RM250 sat for 5 years when I had my daughter. Now I ride with her. I'd keep it! The money will just get absorbed into life.
6/26/2021 5:57pm
I’m 30, self employed, baby on the way, married, destroyed my knee last year. Two surgeries. I’ve made the decision to back it down this year and for the forceable future. I won’t sell my bike, but once a month will keep me happy. And keep me motivated enough stay in good physical shape so
When I do ride I’m not dying everytime. It is frustrating, like my brain and body aren’t lined up anymore. I know I can still turn it up but I know in the back of my head I need to get home in one piece
TK40_FC
6/26/2021 7:36pm
You may find that if you downgrade to an older & cheaper bike, those 2 rides a month may be more like work and less like fun. Having owned a modern bike, its hard to explain just how much more enjoyable it makes my time at the track. Good suspension, good brakes, good reliable power..etc... etc.. I think if you've got it - then just ride it when you can. At least its going to be there and it'll keep you motivated to continue trying to get out.

Either way, good luck on your decision. Ultimately do what feels like the best thing for your circumstances.
geeZ177
6/26/2021 9:23pm
I say keep it if paid for or you can afford the payments. I am going to be 38 in August and going to be just getting back into MX after getting hurt pretty bad at 18(broken back), then life and naysayers got in the way. Is it a smart idea for me... absolutely not, I work a physical job (plant maintenance) so it's not like I sit behind a desk and can afford injury. Now that you have heard enough about me, my point being is. At your age, if you give it up you may never get it back. And you need to ask yourself, are you ok with stepping away forever? I have stepped away for 20 years and have wanted to get back into it for 20 years. I have a good wife and had a long talk with her. She understands that I was forced out and didn't get to go out on my own terms. I have nothing to prove this time around, but want to ride. Good luck with your decision, only YOU can make it, and no matter what it will be the right one.
Bennett
6/27/2021 12:40am
I would gladly trade my 1993 CR500 for a running TW200 right now. I rebuilt the machine and she happily broke my collarbone in return. Been riding for 40 years, first broken bone. Haven't rode it since. Just want to ride for fun lol.
geeZ177
6/27/2021 4:26am
Bennett wrote:
I would gladly trade my 1993 CR500 for a running TW200 right now. I rebuilt the machine and she happily broke my collarbone in return. Been...
I would gladly trade my 1993 CR500 for a running TW200 right now. I rebuilt the machine and she happily broke my collarbone in return. Been riding for 40 years, first broken bone. Haven't rode it since. Just want to ride for fun lol.
I wish I had a tw200 lol. Always wanted a CR500.
Larry450
6/27/2021 7:58am
Similar situation here. 6-month-old baby, work etc.. I sold my bike and got a emtb. I did keep my boots, helmet and that stuff. My plan is to get a bike when this shit settles down a bit.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
6/27/2021 8:04am
I wish I never sold any of my past bikes as I would love to still have my ‘80s CR80s, ‘90s CR125s, ‘00s YZs ..etc. (back then I needed the money to buy the next bike).

I am now keeping every bike I own for now on..forever..

Post a reply to: When is it time to sell?

The Latest