When does OEM suspension surpass Factory?

Johnny Depp
11/25/2017 8:38am
You will see on Dec. 5th when the new KTM and Husky FE's come out with 52's. Woohoo
mxb2 wrote:
Wager,. ?
Just a wish list and an semi educated guess based on pre proto photos shown. Of course if you know some inside information please don't be shy. I think KTM/ Husky might be tired of getting beat in shootouts by a bike that weighs 30 lbs more because of suspension.

For over 10 years virtually every KTM factory MX/SX and offroad factory bike has run them, even most satellite teams. It is long overdue for production.
mxb2
11/25/2017 8:56am
You will see on Dec. 5th when the new KTM and Husky FE's come out with 52's. Woohoo
mxb2 wrote:
Wager,. ?
Just a wish list and an semi educated guess based on pre proto photos shown. Of course if you know some inside information please don't be...
Just a wish list and an semi educated guess based on pre proto photos shown. Of course if you know some inside information please don't be shy. I think KTM/ Husky might be tired of getting beat in shootouts by a bike that weighs 30 lbs more because of suspension.

For over 10 years virtually every KTM factory MX/SX and offroad factory bike has run them, even most satellite teams. It is long overdue for production.
What bike beat them in shootouts? The price of of new Ktm,husky would be 15k lol. People complain now on 7k bike prices.
Johnny Depp
11/25/2017 9:26am
mxb2 wrote:
Wager,. ?
Just a wish list and an semi educated guess based on pre proto photos shown. Of course if you know some inside information please don't be...

mxb2 wrote:
What bike beat them in shootouts? The price of of new Ktm,husky would be 15k lol. People complain now on 7k bike prices.
C'mon you've got a Honda in your avatar, you've got to know Honda has swept the shootouts this year in the 450's.

The cost increase is speculation, retail for Cone valves is about $2k more than retail for current AER's, and if you left off the expensive coatings and made a production run of thousands, surely that could be reduced.

Quite a few have stepped up to $15k for Alta's that seem to drop lap times right away. Don't you think a 10-20% price increase for premium components rather than just decals might sell?
mxb2
11/25/2017 9:31am

mxb2 wrote:
C'mon you've got a Honda in your avatar, you've got to know Honda has swept the shootouts this year in the 450's. The cost increase is...
C'mon you've got a Honda in your avatar, you've got to know Honda has swept the shootouts this year in the 450's.

The cost increase is speculation, retail for Cone valves is about $2k more than retail for current AER's, and if you left off the expensive coatings and made a production run of thousands, surely that could be reduced.

Quite a few have stepped up to $15k for Alta's that seem to drop lap times right away. Don't you think a 10-20% price increase for premium components rather than just decals might sell?
I m not brand loyal, that was a project build. I own a Ktm also. I think they would sell to the right buyer, or make them an option to purchase with the bike.

The Shop

Johnny Depp
11/25/2017 9:37am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2017 9:41am
Here's a 1st that I know of "factory" level suspension and triple clamps being offered direct from the factory. No prices released yet, nor if it will come in the XC model, but Technical Touch KYB's and Xtrig Rocs are top of the line components. No idea how the setup is handled yet, whether sprung and valved to order? This is similar to Beta's BYOB (build your own bike) program.

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/us/news/777-gas-gas-enduro-gp-2018-special-wo…

This bike would make a killer MX'er. They are doing quite well in Endurocross, and early owner reviews are great.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/25/2017 9:47am
Here's a 1st that I know of "factory" level suspension and triple clamps being offered direct from the factory. No prices released yet, nor if it...
Here's a 1st that I know of "factory" level suspension and triple clamps being offered direct from the factory. No prices released yet, nor if it will come in the XC model, but Technical Touch KYB's and Xtrig Rocs are top of the line components. No idea how the setup is handled yet, whether sprung and valved to order? This is similar to Beta's BYOB (build your own bike) program.

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/us/news/777-gas-gas-enduro-gp-2018-special-wo…

This bike would make a killer MX'er. They are doing quite well in Endurocross, and early owner reviews are great.
I don’t understand why this kind of thing isn’t offered more.... guys are willing to pay the money to have a bike exactly how they want. It might now be for everyone, but I’d put money on the fact that people would love to build there own yzf, crf, rmz, ktm/husky or kxf
slipdog
11/25/2017 9:52am
^^You guys realize those are the same forks as the 2012 kx 450 had, right?
Johnny Depp
11/25/2017 10:34am
slipdog wrote:
^^You guys realize those are the same forks as the 2012 kx 450 had, right?
I'm not sure they were the only ones? Yes, high dollar coatings at no price increase, hmmm.
I'm not sure it's the same, we really don't know what's inside the TT KYB's on the Gas Gas yet.
Also worth noting is the shock gets the TT tuning and the triple clamps are part of the GP model.

It seems like no one but Yamaha get's the KYB's valved correctly, always blamed on proprietary valving.

"DLC.
We don’t like the AOSS forks all that much, but we love the Diamond Like Coating (DLC) on the fork legs and Kashima coating on the inner surfaces of the stanchion tubes."

https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxas-2012-kawasaki-kx450f-motocross-test…

https://motocrossactionmag.com/fork-works-kayaba-aos-factory-kit-spring…

Katoomey
11/25/2017 11:34am
dumb question. O.E. suspension designs are a product of the "trickle-down effect".
11/25/2017 2:28pm
The best suspension is the one that's set up just right for you, there is no better or worse, took me a while to learn this. I found the WP trax setup on my 08 crf the closest to perfection for me, doesn't make it better or worse than the ohlins im running now, just that I hit the sweet spot setup wise.
Side note I found the adjustability of the 'upgraded' equipment meant that it was easier to move further away from the ideal setup, i.e. When it was right it was really right, when it was wrong it was really wrong. The oem stuff just hovers around the middle.
11/26/2017 7:06pm
Katoomey wrote:
dumb question. O.E. suspension designs are a product of the "trickle-down effect".
It how long does it take to trickle down?

Post a reply to: When does OEM suspension surpass Factory?

The Latest