When did you quit?

rt987
Edited Date/Time 2/21/2016 11:21am
When did you choose to quit racing if you did (on any level), what caused it and how did you get past it?

I'm 18 and just plain can't afford it. I've done everything possible to make it as cheap as possible but just can't afford it and school, wondering if I really should hang it up.
|
zehn
2/17/2016 8:59pm
I quit at 20 when I started taking Coumadin every day and will have to until I die.

I'm 26 now and think about racing everyday. Mountain biking is a poor substitute but it's all I've got
jeffro503
2/17/2016 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:01pm
If you can't afford it now , you probably will one day soon. Focus on your schooling and getting a career.....good things will follow. No different from an injury really , as you are kind of forced to take a step back and take a break. Nothing wrong at all with taking a break for school. You have the rest of your life to get back into it , and if you love the sport , you'll be back before you know it. I took a few different breaks due to money issues , chicks , injuries and getting in trouble with the law. Not to mention other things along the way.
bents
Fantasy
710th
2/17/2016 9:00pm
Hey man, get a good used 2 stroke, ride for fun, and when you get settled after school, go ahead and treat yourself after all your hard work, and get out there and race for fun.
mxb2
2/17/2016 9:07pm
Do like the other lazy entitled do, gofundme. Duh. , lol.

The Shop

PJ205
2/17/2016 9:13pm
Cosigning Jeffro! Go to school or work on getting a career. It'll be well worth it in the end. I just turned 30 and im still playing catch up. It's not fun to struggle through life because you had too much fun in your earlier years. That hard work will pay off and all of that fun will come back to you later on down the road. Just my opinion, at least. Good luck to you, whichever route you choose!
FWYT
2/17/2016 9:14pm
I've had to stop several times for short or long periods over the years due to funds.
That's life. Stay in shape, pick it back up when you can.
rt987
2/17/2016 9:15pm
bents wrote:
Hey man, get a good used 2 stroke, ride for fun, and when you get settled after school, go ahead and treat yourself after all your...
Hey man, get a good used 2 stroke, ride for fun, and when you get settled after school, go ahead and treat yourself after all your hard work, and get out there and race for fun.
That's what I have now, a 13' YZ250 I bought new and it's still in great shape. Think that's what I'll end up doing.

Good advise Jeffro, I guess I keep thinking in my mind once I quit I'm out for good. I'm taking agriculture so my career won't change a bit from what it is now, which is a blessing as I'll always have a job.

Redrcr34
2/17/2016 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 10:16pm
I had never rode a motorcycle until I was 18 years old. I started racing mx in 1981. I believed that one day I would make it as a pro. I went to the A class in 1984 and remember writing down my goals to be racing the Red Bud National by 1988. Well I fell way short and never did do much in the A class. I never had access to an mx track and practiced in a bean field, no jumps or anything. The only track time I got was at the actual races, which were only like 2 to 3 times a month. I quit racing by the time I was 24. Back then in the 80s there weren't really any pros that were racing in their late 20s and I figured no way to ever get to the pros. I started riding again in the 90s and saw that John Dowd was racing pro in his 30s and I thought jeez, I quit because I thought that I was too old to keep riding towards my goal and Dowdy was at the top in his 30s. I have never stop since, but quit racing, my last race in1999 in the +35 A class. I still ride today even at 52 years old and maybe, just maybe I will race again. My last bike is on order, a 2016 Ktm 450 sf-x Factory Edition. One last hoorah!
ga_pike
2/17/2016 9:21pm
For me it was the day I left for college... although it really started the spring of my junior year. Week before spring football practice I was at a Hilliard practice day. Came over the tabletop and there was a rider down. Had nowhere to go, chose hitting his bike over him and promptly went over the bars. Broke my collarbone for the 3rd time.

Long story short, I ended up signing to play football in college. I'm 38 now and haven't been on a bike since unfortunately.
mxrider28
2/17/2016 9:29pm
I feel you dude. Im 21 and quit about a year ago. Having to pay for it all myself was just to much money. I feel so much better all the time now though. My whole life doesnt have to revolve around this like it used to between bike maintenance, cardio training, and riding 3-4 days a week. Now i just ride 1 time a week and it is so much more fun with no pressure
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
2/17/2016 9:40pm
I quit in 84 after a pretty successful year. I set goals to meet by a certain age and I didn't reach them. I never really stopped riding, but I didn't race again until 2011-12.
2/17/2016 9:43pm
I quit a few times. I started at 4 yo but had to quit in late high school since my parents stopped footing the bill. I didn't have a bike until late in college because I couldn't afford it. I had one after college, then bought a sweet ride right before I headed to grad school (a modded 95 RM125 from a spoiled kid that just got back from Loretta's). I rode a decent amount and might have been my fastest while earning my Ph.D. But I had to park it for the ~6 years of my postdoc. That sucked, and I spent more than I care to remember for a garage in NJ with bikes that just got old while I couldn't use them. But I just couldn't deal with saying I was done.

I bounced around NYC but then moved to NJ for family after getting a "real" job. After buying a house in NJ, I got a bike a few months later (@~40) and can't wait until Englishtown opens again as I type. But I no longer race people: I race the track on my 125 and I love it. And I am fine with that but YMMV. The only question I have now is how long can I go, and am I being greedy. I love my family, my job but I really love riding too.
casper
2/17/2016 9:48pm
I didn't get a bike till i was 21. I bought a new one at 23 when I graduated college, raced heavily till about 27. Now I ride track for fun and do 1 or 2 races a year. This year I'm doing Mammoth and maybe one other race.
Motoxdoc
2/17/2016 9:53pm
rt987 wrote:
When did you choose to quit racing if you did (on any level), what caused it and how did you get past it? I'm 18 and...
When did you choose to quit racing if you did (on any level), what caused it and how did you get past it?

I'm 18 and just plain can't afford it. I've done everything possible to make it as cheap as possible but just can't afford it and school, wondering if I really should hang it up.
I quit every time I break a bone. I get past it by doing therapy and healing.....of course part of healing is racing! OK, just messing with ya. I know where you're at moto brethren. We've all been there on one level or another. The biggest motivator to getting an education, finding a career and becoming financially responsible....Is so you can start riding/racing again! I'm 51 and I've raced/ridden since I was 10 years old. Some of my best MXing memories are from after I turned 30....and I'm still making them! Don't think of it as hanging it up for good. Get a life, and in 12 years you'll still have 30+ years of MXing to do. Hint: always keep a set of riding gear because you never know when the chance to ride again might pop up.
Pirate421
2/17/2016 9:54pm
I couldn't afford it when I was younger. Stopped riding for a few years, joined the military, now I'm 27 with wife and daughter and just race for fun. Local series and annual races for me and it's way more fun now, no pressure and It doesn't break the bank anymore. I ride with older guys and we just try to beat each other for fun. You can "quit" now and finish your education, but it's far from over lad. I feel like I'm riding the best I ever have nowadays and plan to race for many more years.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
2/17/2016 9:54pm
Just stop taking it seriously. You're 18, nobody your age takes anything seriously. Focus on school and makes sure you actually learn the material. When you hit your 20s, you and most of your friends will go out on the weekends and spend money on nothing. Set aside a few of those weekends to catch a few gates and just enjoy riding. Race for first, race for eight--who cares? Just have fun.
RbR
2/17/2016 9:58pm
Quitting racing doesn't mean quitting riding, does it. Racing is expensive, but riding is fairly inexpensive.
shmoo
Fantasy
255th
2/17/2016 10:06pm
Hey mate, I totally get it.

I raced MX from age 14-20. Gave it up for Uni. Got back in at age 24 but only lasted a year - it wasn't the right time. Did some road racing, but couldn't afford to crash. Started MX again at 40 and haven't looked back (I'm 50 now). What would I do differently? Nothing. If circumstances permitted I would have got back in at 35. You'll know when its the right time.

Hope this helps.
moscrop940
2/17/2016 10:45pm
I gave up the ghost literally on the ride home after my best finish ever at an amateur national.
4th at Mammoth.

I knew I couldn't have trained any harder nor could I have rode better. I left literally nothing on the table...it was at that point I knew that I found my limit, and I was able to let go with a smile.

And to the OP, understand there is no shame in calling it square. If you did everything possible to make it happen, then be done with your head held high and move on to the next stage....

Welcome to the weekend rider club, its pretty friendly over here.

Cheers buddy.
Redrcr34
2/17/2016 10:46pm
moscrop940 wrote:
I gave up the ghost literally on the ride home after my best finish ever at an amateur national. 4th at Mammoth. I knew I couldn't...
I gave up the ghost literally on the ride home after my best finish ever at an amateur national.
4th at Mammoth.

I knew I couldn't have trained any harder nor could I have rode better. I left literally nothing on the table...it was at that point I knew that I found my limit, and I was able to let go with a smile.

And to the OP, understand there is no shame in calling it square. If you did everything possible to make it happen, then be done with your head held high and move on to the next stage....

Welcome to the weekend rider club, its pretty friendly over here.

Cheers buddy.
Yep
Crush
2/17/2016 10:59pm
bents wrote:
Hey man, get a good used 2 stroke, ride for fun, and when you get settled after school, go ahead and treat yourself after all your...
This... It's great to be able to blow off a little steam, for sure you'll miss it if you don't and at the end of the day, if you're not racing seriously, who cares what you are riding?
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
2/17/2016 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 11:34pm
i have ridden seriously on and off over my life, sometimes MX took a back seat while other things were more important, (and the last 18 months have been like that)

most of the time i kept a bike in the shed, even if it did not get ridden for months at a time,
Sidecar
2/18/2016 12:39am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2016 12:39am
My advice would be focus on your career but keep your eye in, keep a bike and even if you only get out 2-3 times a year your still a racer, time will pass and you will have more free time to pick it back up.

After a bad injury, big crash resulting in broken bones in my kneck, left shoulder, left side ribs and ripped my thumb off my right hand, just hanging loose now plated and screwed on with limited movement I had 18 months off a bike, it was tough for my wife having to look after our 5 year old and me... I thought I was done.... Then I rode a sidecar messing about... Then one popped up forsale at the right price.... Now my brother and I are in our 5th season of racing it.... I'm 38 in April and not done yet.... And I'm slowly building an 89 KX125.....
chump6784
2/18/2016 1:01am
I gave up the first time at the end of 2001, I was going in to my final year of highschool and thought I should concentrate on that. Also the idea of having to be home by 10 on a Saturday night was wearing pretty thin too. On top of that dad had just sold his business and was starting a new one so the funds pretty much dried up to. At that stage we were racing 32 weekends of the year and some weekends were saturday night and sunday

Throughout the next 10 years I got through uni, bought and bought a house. I got into sports bikes but one close call nearly being taken out by a car with the then fiance on the back put a holt to that.

In 2012 I bought an RM 250 to ride for fun, about a month later I was racing again. End of 2012 I picked up a leftover 2012 250sx. I managed to put 12 hours on it before getting run over in a first corner tip over and breaking my hand and having the ligaments messed up.

Six weeks later I sold my bike and the missus bike and bought a skiboat. We can wakeboard all year round where we live and the river is 10 minutes from my place vs 2 hours each way to ride/race

I miss riding and racing and I don't think anything can compare to the rush but for me the injury plus the travel just wasn't worth it
jeffro503
2/18/2016 1:06am
bents wrote:
rt987 wrote:
That's what I have now, a 13' YZ250 I bought new and it's still in great shape. Think that's what I'll end up doing. Good advise...
That's what I have now, a 13' YZ250 I bought new and it's still in great shape. Think that's what I'll end up doing.

Good advise Jeffro, I guess I keep thinking in my mind once I quit I'm out for good. I'm taking agriculture so my career won't change a bit from what it is now, which is a blessing as I'll always have a job.

No problemo on the advice man. I've been there and done that ( as have many guys here ). It's a very common hurdle people go through. When they are young and if their parents help them out , they get a little older and go out on their own and think " Holy crap....this expensive!! ". It can be very expensive if you take it really serious. Not just the cost of everything you buy , but the time loss from work to make it happen properly.

You're very young! 18yrs old and you don't even realize how many more years you have left. Whyen I was 18 , I tried to ride as much as I could and my parents could only afford so much. I went a little crazy in my life between the ages of 18 - 25yrs old. I got in some trouble and was basically pissed off at the world. I found myself getting back into the sport seriously around the age of 25.

And I can tell you right now , your strongest years are still ahead of you. You get smarter about your riding , pick and chose your spots and you will have an awesome time. I found that between the ages of 25 - about 36yrs old....were my strongest years ever. Physically , mentally and financially. I came to peace with myself and found out just how much I love this sport and all the friends I had made over the years. Priceless! And even with the injuries.....I wouldn't take one second of it back!

Like I said....you're really young. Your best years are ahead of you. Trust me!
jeffro503
2/18/2016 1:16am
UpTiTe wrote:
I quit in 84 after a pretty successful year. I set goals to meet by a certain age and I didn't reach them. I never really...
I quit in 84 after a pretty successful year. I set goals to meet by a certain age and I didn't reach them. I never really stopped riding, but I didn't race again until 2011-12.
You did have a very good year man! You and Jimmy both did. Jimmy ended up racing in 1985 for a few races , but for some reason , on the big stage he never made it on the bigger bikes ( 250 class ). It's still something to this day I never understood about him , because he was faster on the big bikes than the 125's....but never really tried it more than a few times.

I dunno , I look back on you and Jimmy's career both , and think you guys left some things on the table. Did you ever try the big bikes? And how competitive did you feel? I imagine you and Jimmy both would of been very competitive with time , as you guys rode the wheels off them 125's. Your career would be nothing to be ashamed of , that's for sure.
2/18/2016 1:26am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2016 1:31am
I raced on and off for a few years but only did one full season in 2003 where I put everything into it. With the amount of money required even on just the amateur level (though still trying to do things properly) it cost me thousands and I soon realised that it was a dream that would never happen. Plus like most people I just wasn't fast enough. Went to college and then Uni soon after. Still ride now and then and would like to do the odd race, so I guess I haven't quit entirely.

That's the key of course - seat time. You need the time and money to be able to spend a huge number hrs practising, even before the racing. Most people just don't have that.
Olson
2/18/2016 1:46am
Quit racing at 20 after I dislocated both of my shoulders. Couldn't ride without dislocating them again. Quit and did my rehab. Hardly followed the sport at all during that time. Missed it too much when I watched races. Came back after several years and quit again last year. Simply don't have the time to go to the track several times a week and travel all over the country for races during the weekends. Still have a bike but only rode twice last year. Still follow all the action though. It's much simpler when you walk away on your own terms.
ricko
2/18/2016 3:04am
I quit racing every weekend after I graduated high school. I had to get a 8-5 job and after working all day getting ready to moto an hour or so after work wasn't worth it. No time to practice during week so I didn't race on weekends. I still race once a year for fun. I still highly enjoy dirtbikes, I just now have a family as well.
Tbteam
2/18/2016 3:16am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2016 3:17am
I quit at 18, 22, 34, 45 and 51. So far.

Post a reply to: When did you quit?

The Latest