When did you hop back on the bike after a knee reconstruction?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/15/2019 1:01 PM

If anyone has had their knee redone when did they hop back on the bike and start to ride again? I had my acl redone (hamstring graft) plus my front meniscus repaired and my rear meniscus trimmed back in the beginning of september. Its now been 5 months and im debating to get some practice in. Advice to go for it or wait a little longer?

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

2/15/2019 1:34 PM

For me I had my ACL reconstructed with my Patella bone ligament 2 years ago and I started riding 3 months after the surgery. I will say that was for supermoto and I definitely took it easy. I didn't ride MX until around 4 or 5 months I believe. I has surgery Jan 30th and rode supermoto in April and then had my first race late May if I remember correctly.

|

2/15/2019 1:56 PM

Had mine replaced and was back racing in 4 months. Still as slow as I was before but Im riding

|

2/15/2019 2:01 PM

Got mine done in mid November riding end of January.

|

2/15/2019 2:02 PM

Depends on a lot of factors..have you been released by your ortho team? They have a testing protocol you should pass before being released to normal activities. ..I had same surgery last July...I”m 50 years old, shit don’t heal to quick. At 6 months I still had some pain and knew I wasn’t ready to ride...I had been working hard in rehab but I think my age adds time to the recovery process. I had my other knee repaired the same way 10 years ago and at 6 months it felt stronger, my rehab protocol lasted longer back then also. For some reason my basic rehab after surgery was only like 8 weeks, likely Insurance only pays to get you back to normal joe activities, like golf & walking your dog. After discussing with my ortho team, at 6 months post op. I paid for 12 more sessions of intense PT with a sports specific rehab therapist, that specializes in knee rehab. They tested my leg.... my balance and hamstring were still weak, they said they would not release me to ride if it was their choice...I agreed & worked hard for another month....there are no guarantees in riding, but you want your leg muscles as strong as they can be & your flexibility needs to be good. Don’t know about you, but this surgery sucks and going through rehab sucks, I want to give it every chance for success that I can. I’m down in Florida riding now at 7 months post op. It’s a bit nerve wracking coming back, I”m keeping my feet on the pegs as much as possible, Sometimes hard in the sand! I”m just happy to be riding again, but gonna take a while to get confidence back in that leg...I remember my first knee surgery, I started riding lightly at 6 months, it was a full year before It felt normal..

|

2/15/2019 2:04 PM

5 months is a adequate time if you have done your strength training properly and you have 100% stability with the knee.

|

Thanks for your Support
100%, Mobius, Sunstar, Pirelli, Odi, Acerbis, Yoshimura, Beck's Tech Suspension and Tuning, Arma, Works Connection

2/15/2019 2:07 PM

. 2 months back to work 5 months to ride but that was weather. I turned roczen style for a long time. feet on pegs lol.
I didn't wreck is what bummed me out. just dabbed and caught a rock. knee bent the wrong way.

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

2/15/2019 2:09 PM

plus 1 on being released. then training very religiously.

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

2/15/2019 3:29 PM

Snapped medial collateral ligament. 6 weeks in plaster. Raced after 8.

|

2/15/2019 3:47 PM

Am I the only person that finds the title of this knee injury thread humorous?
“Hop back on the bike”

|

2/15/2019 3:49 PM

ACL reconstruction March 2015, back on the bike in the August. If you do the physio you'll be all good!

|

2/15/2019 3:49 PM

Marty1028 wrote:

If anyone has had their knee redone when did they hop back on the bike and start to ride again? I had my acl redone (hamstring graft) plus my front meniscus repaired and my rear meniscus trimmed back in the beginning of september. Its now been 5 months and im debating to get some practice in. Advice to go for it or wait a little longer?

I did 3 ligaments and lateral miniscus in june of 2012, took a full year to get back on a bike and ve only got about 30% of the lateral miniscus left in that leg.

recovery time is going to vary greatly depending on the severity of your injury, how much and how extensive the repair job is, and how good your surgeon is.

Best advise I can give is to kick ass on your PT and LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTORS.

P.S.: Your Miniscus are medial (nearest to centerline of your body) and Lateral (furthest from centerline of your body), not front and back.

Best of luck with your recovery!!!!

|

2/15/2019 3:57 PM

smoothies862 wrote:

. 2 months back to work 5 months to ride but that was weather. I turned roczen style for a long time. feet on pegs lol.
I didn't wreck is what bummed me out. just dabbed and caught a rock. knee bent the wrong way.

I done the same thing, but yes i have been cleared for everything.

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

2/18/2019 6:07 AM

Id say go for it and try not to think about your knee. Every time I would think about it that's when I would dab it at the wrong time / place. It's been over two years for me now but honestly I still have pain and it gets sore a lot. It's 100% stable and useable now so it was worth it but I don't think I'll ever be back to where I was before. The worst part for me was that it happened playing flag football with a bunch of people from work. It ended up being a very expensive and costly intramural game.

|

2/18/2019 6:15 AM

I shattered my knee 6 months ago and am just now feeling good/stable/strong enough to at least ride a turn track. My injury was bone not ligaments tho.

|

2/18/2019 8:16 AM

i was back 4 months to the day, did all my threropy and dr said I was goo to go. then 1st ride back torn my Achilles.....fuck....lol

|

kcco

2/18/2019 12:26 PM

4-6 months leave it as long as you can

|

2/18/2019 1:59 PM

Really depends on your therapy and how well you progressed through it. I was fortunate, got cleared 7 weeks post surgery and was riding the 8th week. I had a cadaver replacement and started my physical therapy 4 hours after surgery with a knee oscilator at home. Started with my physical therapist 24hrs post surgery, was on the exercise bike in 3 weeks and leg presses the 4th week. Same doctor and team for every surgery and always cleared early, never had a complication.

|

2/18/2019 2:42 PM

Tore my MCL (100% complete tear), with a patella dislocation. Nailed a tree and my knee was dislocated like that for about 2 hours by the time we get me out of the woods, to the ambulance and to the hospital.
I had 3 weeks in a full cast from hip to ankle, and was on crutches for another 4 weeks after that and then started physio. I'm now 9 months post injury, mostly pain free now, knee feels stable, but I have a mental block about it. I still can't run on it or do a single leg squat, due to pain on both sides of the patella from lack of musculature despite religious physio style work outs.

My new ortho doc is awesome, wants me to get riding again, the first guy was telling me to sell the bikes. My goal is to get back on the bike and start doing some easy trail riding by June... With a brace.

|

2/18/2019 5:16 PM

4-6 months with graff.......3-4 with cadaver. My torn ACL repair with cadaver was a 3 month deal before riding. Rehab is everything with this

|