When did a tabletop start counting as 2 jumps?

2/9/2014 11:35am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2014 11:36am
JW381 wrote:
How many landings are there? A single doesn't have a takeoff and a landing. Those tabletops, no matter how small they are, do have a takeoff...
How many landings are there? A single doesn't have a takeoff and a landing. Those tabletops, no matter how small they are, do have a takeoff and a landing. Therefore takeoff + 3 possible landings = a quad.
Right, if you jump you have to land somewhere haha. Counting a table as 1 doesn't work like that when counting landing options.

If you make a table a camelback it is now a triple step over. But all you did was add an additional landing on the top of that table. How did a table magically turn in to a triple with no pits dug out and no lips added?! The landing options, that's why.
hvaughn88
2/9/2014 11:43am
How many pancakes does it take to cover a doghouse?
jasonv43
2/9/2014 11:44am
I just want to know if you can double or triple a single? Or can you table a quad?Silly
Outsider
2/9/2014 11:47am
This might make some people's heads explode, but a step-down table is actually a triple....

Kaboom!

The Shop

JW381
2/9/2014 11:47am
JW381 wrote:
How many landings are there? A single doesn't have a takeoff and a landing. Those tabletops, no matter how small they are, do have a takeoff...
How many landings are there? A single doesn't have a takeoff and a landing. Those tabletops, no matter how small they are, do have a takeoff and a landing. Therefore takeoff + 3 possible landings = a quad.
Right, if you jump you have to land somewhere haha. Counting a table as 1 doesn't work like that when counting landing options. If you make...
Right, if you jump you have to land somewhere haha. Counting a table as 1 doesn't work like that when counting landing options.

If you make a table a camelback it is now a triple step over. But all you did was add an additional landing on the top of that table. How did a table magically turn in to a triple with no pits dug out and no lips added?! The landing options, that's why.
No doubt. A lot of times riders talk about "trippling into this" and "doubling onto that" and a lot of times it's just a different little mound of dirt to land on haha. Not exactly an exact science. But all the quads mentioned so far have a takeoff and 3 different possible landings. Seems fine to call that a quad lol
dantheman
2/9/2014 11:51am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2014 12:02pm
Fuggin' announcers and all their got' damn "quad" talk Sad
jasonv43
2/9/2014 12:01pm
Outsider wrote:
This might make some people's heads explode, but a step-down table is actually a triple....

Kaboom!
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
3/20/2017 9:39am
EmDub425 wrote:
i can see that reasoning Top of Table =1 Backside of table =2 backside of next single =3 + takeoff = quad best possible explanation i've...
i can see that reasoning

Top of Table =1

Backside of table =2

backside of next single =3

+ takeoff = quad

best possible explanation i've heard yet

But for as long as SX has been around there have been finish line jumps that are a single over a tabletop. Iv'e never heard of that jump combo as a triple. I consider that a double.
Best description of this terrible topic. ITS A QUAD. You don't count the dirt mounds. you count the take-off + the landing areas. The step-down table comment has me in aw though...
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
3/20/2017 10:18am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 10:31am

What a dinosaur of a thread, interesting debate though. I see a double on, double off. Jumping the entirety of two doubles has always been a quad therefor I consider the thing a quad. You have to count the table as a jump with two landings because there are two landings, one being on top and the other being the downside. It may be one jump, but it's one jump with two landings. This equals a quad when clearing all the way over it. If you disagree I guess you're going against traditional moto-speak.

To add-

Landing on top, rolling down and then rolling the final single would be going 2-1 imo. Not sure how to explain that one as it makes my brain melt a little. Backside the table and then roll the single is 3-1.
brocster
3/20/2017 10:20am
EmDub425 wrote:
i can see that reasoning Top of Table =1 Backside of table =2 backside of next single =3 + takeoff = quad best possible explanation i've...
i can see that reasoning

Top of Table =1

Backside of table =2

backside of next single =3

+ takeoff = quad

best possible explanation i've heard yet

But for as long as SX has been around there have been finish line jumps that are a single over a tabletop. Iv'e never heard of that jump combo as a triple. I consider that a double.
nrosso391 wrote:
Best description of this terrible topic. ITS A QUAD. You don't count the dirt mounds. you count the take-off + the landing areas. The step-down table...
Best description of this terrible topic. ITS A QUAD. You don't count the dirt mounds. you count the take-off + the landing areas. The step-down table comment has me in aw though...
so if you land on the flat in between the two mounds of dirt of the finish line you are actually doubling it using your logic??? or if you jump the whole thing is it also a "quad" since you can technically land on the backside of the take off (1) on the flat in between (2) backside second mound (3) + takeoff = (4)

MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
3/20/2017 10:22am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 10:26am
brocster wrote:
so if you land on the flat in between the two mounds of dirt of the finish line you are actually doubling it using your logic...
so if you land on the flat in between the two mounds of dirt of the finish line you are actually doubling it using your logic??? or if you jump the whole thing is it also a "quad" since you can technically land on the backside of the take off (1) on the flat in between (2) backside second mound (3) + takeoff = (4)

It's about the intent of the design. Is the table being used more than one way by design? If not then it's just one landing. If the option to double off the table is there, this creates another jump. Does it not? Two on, two off. 2+2=4. You're welcome.

Take a look at my diagram explanation.
3/20/2017 10:34am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 10:41am
Every tabletop is just a single. Use that as your guide and you are always right. If you have any balls that is. Posers rack the count up as high as possible. They get really stoked and slap each other's ass for a good game. Better get back to the shower to wash off. Those big "quads" got us really dirty.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
3/20/2017 10:38am
MX Guy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/20/182560/s1200_IMG_1396.jpg[/img] What a dinosaur of a thread, interesting debate though. I see a double on, double off. Jumping the entirety of two doubles has always been...

What a dinosaur of a thread, interesting debate though. I see a double on, double off. Jumping the entirety of two doubles has always been a quad therefor I consider the thing a quad. You have to count the table as a jump with two landings because there are two landings, one being on top and the other being the downside. It may be one jump, but it's one jump with two landings. This equals a quad when clearing all the way over it. If you disagree I guess you're going against traditional moto-speak.

To add-

Landing on top, rolling down and then rolling the final single would be going 2-1 imo. Not sure how to explain that one as it makes my brain melt a little. Backside the table and then roll the single is 3-1.
Bingo!
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
3/20/2017 10:48am
brocster wrote:
so if you land on the flat in between the two mounds of dirt of the finish line you are actually doubling it using your logic...

MX Guy wrote:
It's about the intent of the design. Is the table being used more than one way by design? If not then it's just one landing. If...
It's about the intent of the design. Is the table being used more than one way by design? If not then it's just one landing. If the option to double off the table is there, this creates another jump. Does it not? Two on, two off. 2+2=4. You're welcome.

Take a look at my diagram explanation.
I agree on intent of design. And NO, Brocster, you cannot land on the backside of the take-off, that would be singling. You can't jump the take off and land on the back side, you wouldn't get any air, you would be rolling.
TeamGreen
3/20/2017 10:52am
There are plenty of long-tables that will make you think twice about calling them a "Single".

Better, yet...Have you heard the term "transfer" used? What does that mean?
TeamGreen
3/20/2017 10:53am
MX Guy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/20/182560/s1200_IMG_1396.jpg[/img] What a dinosaur of a thread, interesting debate though. I see a double on, double off. Jumping the entirety of two doubles has always been...

To add-

731chopper wrote:
Bingo!
We use the term "on-off".
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
3/20/2017 11:07am
TeamGreen wrote:
Your response is irrelevant
MR. X
3/20/2017 11:11am
O goody ,this argument again.
IWreckALot
3/20/2017 11:16am
TeamGreen wrote:
MX Guy wrote:
Yeah seriously, I think TG just got into this dirt bike sport last season based on the way he talks. Pfffftttttttt.
Bramlett321
3/20/2017 11:26am
EmDub425 wrote:
i'm dead serious. Ive' been racing for 25 year so I'm not some newb here. I'm honestly trying to figure out how 3 jumps equals a...
i'm dead serious. Ive' been racing for 25 year so I'm not some newb here. I'm honestly trying to figure out how 3 jumps equals a quad? The only thing I can think of is they are counting the table top as 2 jumps. But if you are going to do that they you have to refer to a single over a table as a triple not a double. Which I've never heard anyone do.
I think where that came from is jumping on the table is being technically counted as one in these rhythm sections so when they downside the table that's two?? And it doesadd drama to the newer listeners I'm sure !! But call it what they want a table is one lol.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
3/20/2017 11:28am
I'm glad I revived this thread. So entertaining.
brocster
3/20/2017 11:33am
MX Guy wrote:

To add-

731chopper wrote:
Bingo!
roll the first then launch from face of table over last jump = double or triple???

oh the fun to be had...
3/20/2017 11:35am
Every tabletop is just a single. Use that as your guide and you are always right. If you have any balls that is. Posers rack the...
Every tabletop is just a single. Use that as your guide and you are always right. If you have any balls that is. Posers rack the count up as high as possible. They get really stoked and slap each other's ass for a good game. Better get back to the shower to wash off. Those big "quads" got us really dirty.
So a 90 foot table top is just a single?
3/20/2017 11:37am
IWreckALot wrote:
Yeah seriously, I think TG just got into this dirt bike sport last season based on the way he talks. Pfffftttttttt.
dirt bikes???? hello i am here for horse racing
TeamGreen
3/20/2017 11:42am
TeamGreen wrote:
MX Guy wrote:
Isn't this all about How to Motorcross like they talk about in the Honda Section at ThumperTalk?

Laughing
brocster
3/20/2017 11:42am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 11:43am
___/|______/|______/|____

1 2 3 4 5

so we've had this wrong those years? a "triple" is actually a "quintuple" since there are technically two landing areas in the flats between the singles... see illustration above (rudimentary) albeit landings are pretty steep
MotoMo165
3/20/2017 11:43am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2017 11:45am
In response to the original OP, no that jump at your San Diego track is not a quad if a table top is the first jump in jump sequence

lol some of you guys argue in the dumbest ways^^^^ if you land inbetween jumps you jumped nothing
brocster
3/20/2017 11:45am
Every tabletop is just a single. Use that as your guide and you are always right. If you have any balls that is. Posers rack the...
yes and usually why people designate with the footage when explaining. i.e. "Bro did you see me hit that 1000000000' table?"
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
3/20/2017 11:51am
Nicely said. Point made and undeniable!

BOOM!

Post a reply to: When did a tabletop start counting as 2 jumps?

The Latest