When are the electric MX bikes coming?

casper
Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 1:50pm
In 2019 Honda and I think Yamaha had electric prototypes, but after Alta went under, it seems like the interest has faded. I'm in the market for a new MX bike and I really want an electric bike for my next ride. Does anyone have any insight as to when a mass-market MX bike will be released?

|
2/12/2021 11:40am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2021 11:47am
casper wrote:
In 2019 Honda and I think Yamaha had electric prototypes, but after Alta went under, it seems like the interest has faded. I'm in the market...
In 2019 Honda and I think Yamaha had electric prototypes, but after Alta went under, it seems like the interest has faded. I'm in the market for a new MX bike and I really want an electric bike for my next ride. Does anyone have any insight as to when a mass-market MX bike will be released?

You should buy an Alta. And either a Honda or Yamaha gas powered generator to charge it. 👌🏼 #solutiondriven
gt80rider
2/12/2021 11:52am
Tesla has had high performance electric cars for how long now??? how long ago was that first electric motocross bike released by that small company that died off?

The MC industry doesn't seem to want to take our money anymore... seriously, they have dropped the ball BADLY on this one.......
Crash217
2/12/2021 12:24pm
Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM and Polaris are all capable making a bike that compares to the Alta, but I think they're all just waiting until they can not just meet, but exceed gas bikes in most categories before they throw down on the market. For that reason, I think it'll be 5 years until we see another fantastic electric dirtbike like Alta and 10 years until they start to become commonplace. Right now the power density of batteries just isn't up to the range of a fuel tank.

Altas are around, there were 750ish made in total and they pop up for sale from time to time on the Alta owners forum.

Pohlbock over in Germany is slowly working their way to offering kits and full bikes in the USA.

SSE (Sires Systems Engineering) in Iowa is apparently working with someone/some company to bring a completly new electric bike to the market. https://www.facebook.com/SSESiresSystemsEngineering

There's another guy from California i believe that's building an electric bike based off a YZ125, he's on instagram as @maxvonauto

Rooster
2/12/2021 1:57pm
Yamaha has a variety of electric motors and e-bikes already for sale. So I would assume that as soon as they can find a battery that can provide decent range they'll have a bike available.

Then again, this market segment can be full of close-minded folks that are fighting the evolution of electrified bikes with every fiber of their being. So even if they could build one tomorrow, they probably don't see a market demand for one. Until they do, all it might achieve is to scavenge sales from their existing product lines.

Haven't seen much from Honda in the area beyond a few Mugen prototypes, but I would imagine they've likely got something they're working on behind the scenes. Probably more worried about keeping up with Tesla on the electric car front right now.

I'm intrigued by this structural battery tech I've heard mentioned by Tesla and others. I don't really know enough about it to comment on it though. It removes any ability to swap batteries and extend your day, but rapid charging is evolving pretty fast too. Lets you move the weight around on the chassis a bit more and do we really need to treat batteries like they're a tank of liquid and carry them around as such? It makes more sense to integrate it into the chassis better. Then again, it makes the frame disposable when the battery life is used up. Interesting times for sure. I look forward to another era of every year release being a big jump in new tech like it was back in the 80's when this tech finally hits the segment.

The Shop

2/12/2021 2:23pm
The problem is battery weight, if a company produced a weight competitive bike it would have such a short run time that everyone on vital would complain.

If they produced one with a longer run time but higher weight, then everyone on vital would complain.

xrmark
2/12/2021 2:29pm
Rooster wrote:
Yamaha has a variety of electric motors and e-bikes already for sale. So I would assume that as soon as they can find a battery that...
Yamaha has a variety of electric motors and e-bikes already for sale. So I would assume that as soon as they can find a battery that can provide decent range they'll have a bike available.

Then again, this market segment can be full of close-minded folks that are fighting the evolution of electrified bikes with every fiber of their being. So even if they could build one tomorrow, they probably don't see a market demand for one. Until they do, all it might achieve is to scavenge sales from their existing product lines.

Haven't seen much from Honda in the area beyond a few Mugen prototypes, but I would imagine they've likely got something they're working on behind the scenes. Probably more worried about keeping up with Tesla on the electric car front right now.

I'm intrigued by this structural battery tech I've heard mentioned by Tesla and others. I don't really know enough about it to comment on it though. It removes any ability to swap batteries and extend your day, but rapid charging is evolving pretty fast too. Lets you move the weight around on the chassis a bit more and do we really need to treat batteries like they're a tank of liquid and carry them around as such? It makes more sense to integrate it into the chassis better. Then again, it makes the frame disposable when the battery life is used up. Interesting times for sure. I look forward to another era of every year release being a big jump in new tech like it was back in the 80's when this tech finally hits the segment.
I could be way off here. But we already have tanks full of liquid, what’s the difference with a battery?
byke
2/12/2021 2:37pm
He's talking about weight distribution. Two gallons of liquid weights around 16lbs, but that same volume of battery could weigh 50lbs+. This is just an aside from the main topic of why nobody's really into making them. I think it's because they're a niche within a niche and the demand isn't quite there, or, at least the demand wasn't strong enough to support manufacturing them in one of the most expensive locations in the world by overpaid hipsters.
visser62
2/12/2021 2:40pm
If I was just looking to mess around on short little rides I would buy a KTM E-XC in a heartbeat.
2/12/2021 2:55pm
When Honda releases a Alta like bike its almost guaranteed Ill buy it. IMO these bikes cant come soon enough - BUT they MUST be their own class.
ShawdowGlen
2/12/2021 3:00pm
Long live BRAAAAAAP!!!!

SX/MX is going to suck as a spectator without the sound/smell.

nickm
2/12/2021 3:05pm
KTM E-XC freeride and KTM SX-E 5 are the start of it, would suspect an MX version not far behind.
2/12/2021 3:36pm
You can bet every manufacturer have made at least one and are working on developing them..
Think it will be a few years until we see them, I was so bummed someone didn’t buy out Alta.
SEE ARE125
2/12/2021 4:00pm
My kid is currently on a Stacyc. He’s outgrowing it and I’m not sure where to go next, but electric has spoiled me. I’m torn between Oset MX-10, or going all out with a Husky EE 5 with the lowering kit. The Husky’s are expensive, but they have 3 height settings from the factory, and the lowering kit makes a 4th, so he could ride it for several years which brings down the cost per year. But with battery tech rapidly evolving, how long before the current tech is outdated? Tough decision.
casper
2/12/2021 5:45pm
Long live BRAAAAAAP!!!!

SX/MX is going to suck as a spectator without the sound/smell.

I TOTALLY agree with this that electric racing will be boring. Can you imagine the start of a moto, waiting for the gate to drop, and it's completely quiet? Then they take off and it sounds like an RC car race...
ShawdowGlen
2/12/2021 5:56pm
casper wrote:
I TOTALLY agree with this that electric racing will be boring. Can you imagine the start of a moto, waiting for the gate to drop, and...
I TOTALLY agree with this that electric racing will be boring. Can you imagine the start of a moto, waiting for the gate to drop, and it's completely quiet? Then they take off and it sounds like an RC car race...
Yep.... just like a Drone race. Boring.

45ACP
2/12/2021 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2021 7:56pm
Man I’d buy one in a heartbeat. I’ve got some property in town but I can’t ride the gas bikes due to noise. Would be bad ass to roll out of the garage and rip some laps on a electric bike. Don’t need much range cause my out of shape ass is only good for a handful of laps at a time anyways
BobbyLight
2/12/2021 9:09pm
I went to CES in 2020 and unfortunately not much to see in the offroad department. I did ask a honda guy about the electric cr prototype that we have all seen; I even showed him a picture. He knew nothing about it lol.

2/13/2021 4:17am
The sound thing is overrated..
I can barely hear the bikes on tv and I loooooooove the racing..
EngIceDave
2/13/2021 4:23am
The biggest value in KTM buying GasGas was their electric vehicle technology
Saved KTM years
GasGas bought some electric vehicle company a few years back
4DAIVIPAI2K5
2/13/2021 4:35am
EngIceDave wrote:
The biggest value in KTM buying GasGas was their electric vehicle technology
Saved KTM years
GasGas bought some electric vehicle company a few years back
Interesting, didn't know that.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
2/13/2021 4:42am
It would grow and expand the sport ten fold with the access people would have to riding and limiting the common complaints that hold our sport down and threaten to end it in so many ways.

EngIceDave
2/13/2021 4:45am
They've had electric trials bikes for a couple years, I believe
EngIceDave
2/13/2021 4:51am
Former GG owner ------> https://torrot.com/

https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/09/article/ktm-buys-gasgas/

"KTM AG (soon to be renamed to Pierer Mobility AG) has expanded its umbrella to now include GasGas Motorcycles. Black Toro Capital, the company that owns the Spanish-based Torrot-GasGas manufacturer, entered into a business alliance with KTM, which has acquired a 60% stake in GasGas.

“A cooperation was signed and both partners see this as a starting point for a bright future of the international well-known brand GasGas. New models will be developed alongside the Trial and Enduro bikes of GasGas,” stated a release from KTM AG, adding, “the production of GasGas products and Torrot electric vehicles will be continued in Girona/Spain.”
Bearuno
2/13/2021 5:21am
EngIceDave wrote:
Former GG owner ------> https://torrot.com/ https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/09/article/ktm-buys-gasgas/ [i]"KTM AG (soon to be renamed to Pierer Mobility AG) has expanded its umbrella to now include GasGas Motorcycles. Black...
Former GG owner ------> https://torrot.com/

https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/09/article/ktm-buys-gasgas/

"KTM AG (soon to be renamed to Pierer Mobility AG) has expanded its umbrella to now include GasGas Motorcycles. Black Toro Capital, the company that owns the Spanish-based Torrot-GasGas manufacturer, entered into a business alliance with KTM, which has acquired a 60% stake in GasGas.

“A cooperation was signed and both partners see this as a starting point for a bright future of the international well-known brand GasGas. New models will be developed alongside the Trial and Enduro bikes of GasGas,” stated a release from KTM AG, adding, “the production of GasGas products and Torrot electric vehicles will be continued in Girona/Spain.”
KTM, well, Mr Pierer's company, have now bought out the entire Black Torrot EBike side of things.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
2/13/2021 5:46am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2021 5:47am
FLmxer wrote:
It would grow and expand the sport ten fold with the access people would have to riding and limiting the common complaints that hold our sport...
It would grow and expand the sport ten fold with the access people would have to riding and limiting the common complaints that hold our sport down and threaten to end it in so many ways.

***could grow, not necessarily would grow.

My boy is a little shy of 2.5 now and Im eyeing up an Oset Mx-10 for him though it prbably wont be until hes 4 or 5. If i could get an electric bike the size of a 110, 85, or even possibly full size from Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Honda I will be on it.
2/13/2021 5:55am
Anyone saying racing would be boring hasn't watched enough Downhill (MTCool racing. it,s awesome and you can hear the spectators screaming, etc.

It would most likely also open up venue possibilities that are not possible with gas-powered bikes.
2/13/2021 6:53am
5-10 years

Battery technology has to advance further.
People have been saying that for 5-10 years. I’m guessing a decade from now that observation will still be the narrative.

Post a reply to: When are the electric MX bikes coming?

The Latest