When a rider retires should their number go too?

500guy
Edited Date/Time 6/25/2013 6:33am
example, I'm a big fan of Mike Brown but he retired from racing SX and Nationals, IMO he should not be allowed to keep the #3 just because he races a few times and gains some points.

it's a simple fix, when a rider retires from full time racing his number should go back into the pool the next season and if he wants to get a permanent number he will have to earn one again. The only exception when a rider like RC retires and gets a AMA honorary set number of year retirement.
|
Hut
6/23/2013 1:29pm
I think I'd like; no permanent numbers and they earn their number every year.
smeg
6/23/2013 1:34pm
Hut wrote:
I think I'd like; no permanent numbers and they earn their number every year.
As much as I am kind of "old school" it is nice not having to relearn numbers every year.

One of the few things the AMA has changed that I actually like. I am still pissed they dropped down form 45 minute motos.... lol
MXerDW
6/23/2013 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 1:46pm
I think for the guys like Brown and Dowd that only do a few races a year. Brown should run #103 or something like that, and Dowd should be running #116 or #106 something like that.

Maybe take #100 - #110 and keep open for veterens and the MXGP riders that just race a few times a year.

The Shop

APLMAN99
6/23/2013 1:43pm
500guy wrote:
example, I'm a big fan of Mike Brown but he retired from racing SX and Nationals, IMO he should not be allowed to keep the #3...
example, I'm a big fan of Mike Brown but he retired from racing SX and Nationals, IMO he should not be allowed to keep the #3 just because he races a few times and gains some points.

it's a simple fix, when a rider retires from full time racing his number should go back into the pool the next season and if he wants to get a permanent number he will have to earn one again. The only exception when a rider like RC retires and gets a AMA honorary set number of year retirement.
The sport doesn't really have a "retirement" process like most sports that are comprised of teams that form leagues.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
6/23/2013 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 1:52pm
it bugs me that they get to keep the number , a lot of other things bug me about the # system too

But an Easy fix would be if Mike Brown races a national , let him run his #3 with a different background , say yellow or green or whatever , and make that back ground the official color for retired past champions ,
or even past /retired pro's period

example if RC ever races he gets #4 with the new back ground color , and bagget still keeps it

example #2 give out the #16 and if Dowd wants to keep it he can still race with it with the new / other background color

And much respect to Dowd and Brown , i love it when guys come out of retirement for a Race

in the future if there is ever a 125 race in between races , id love to see RC And K DUB , And a lot more come out and use there old #s ,
i couldnt imagine K Dub without the #14

so again a new back ground would solve the prob even if there were two # 14's
on the track at the same time ...

and off topic but i really wish they had to run in last years finishing order , i think it would make it easy for outsiders to get an idea if a guy with #1 or #2 etc finishes 15th 0r 20th that he is doing bad

and if a guy with #44 OR #175 ...etc... wins , he had a great race and is sorta an underdog!!!

easy peeezeee..
DV-67
6/23/2013 1:49pm
I was thinking maybe the guys that earn single digit numbers could run their initials as well seeing as everyone calls them by that anyway. Not sure what it would look like on a bike. I think it would be okay.

RC4
JS7
RV2
MB3
BB4
RD5
Etc.

Anyone good with photoshop to see what it would look like?

Otherwise I agree if you are not racing the series you should not hold the number.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/23/2013 1:52pm
How is he retired if he's still racing? If he can earn the points to keep it more power to him. Sorry but your idea is about as good as Werd's negative point idea
500guy
6/23/2013 1:59pm
yak651 wrote:
How is he retired if he's still racing? If he can earn the points to keep it more power to him. Sorry but your idea is...
How is he retired if he's still racing? If he can earn the points to keep it more power to him. Sorry but your idea is about as good as Werd's negative point idea
Here is a blurb from TWMX March 2009, read it and then kindly shut the fuck up.

Words and Photos by Brendan Lutes

At one point in his career, Mike Brown was one of the guys to beat in Supercross and motocross. Since retiring from profession SX and MX, though, Brownie has found a second career in off-road racing. And after recently winning the second round of the WORCS series, Brown made a deal with KTM manager Kurt Nicoll that if he won, he would get to race the Daytona SX. Following the first practice session this weekend, we caught up with the always-friendly racer to see how his time back on the SX scene had been going.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/23/2013 2:05pm
yak651 wrote:
How is he retired if he's still racing? If he can earn the points to keep it more power to him. Sorry but your idea is...
500guy wrote:
Here is a blurb from TWMX March 2009, read it and then kindly shut the fuck up. Words and Photos by Brendan Lutes At one point...
Here is a blurb from TWMX March 2009, read it and then kindly shut the fuck up.

Words and Photos by Brendan Lutes

At one point in his career, Mike Brown was one of the guys to beat in Supercross and motocross. Since retiring from profession SX and MX, though, Brownie has found a second career in off-road racing. And after recently winning the second round of the WORCS series, Brown made a deal with KTM manager Kurt Nicoll that if he won, he would get to race the Daytona SX. Following the first practice session this weekend, we caught up with the always-friendly racer to see how his time back on the SX scene had been going.
When's the last time a retired diesel mechanic showed up to put in a day's work? He's out there racing and training, he earned his number and if he scores enough points he can keep it, deal with it.
MXerDW
6/23/2013 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 2:16pm
Well after this season, we may see all these #'s up for grabs for next year. If they do not score 25 points this season.

#3 - (has earned 1 point and is racing at least two more races, to try and earn the 25 points needed)
#9 - (not racing)
#14 - (retired only earned 21 points in SX)
#16 - (racing Southwick and retiring)
#24 - (racing in Canada, and not sure if he is doing any of the last few Nationals)

Or is there still the two year rule in effect?
PTECH
6/23/2013 2:13pm
No. If they can score 25 points well into their 40s more power to them
I like the idea of career numbers and I agree with this. And i think if you're out there racing at a pro AMA national- you're not retired. These guys may not race the entire series but they're not "retired" IMO.
ky_savage
Fantasy
500th
6/23/2013 2:27pm
Yes it should. If they want a number, they shouldn't retire. Simple as that.
500guy
6/23/2013 2:30pm
ky_savage wrote:
Yes it should. If they want a number, they shouldn't retire. Simple as that.
APLMAN99 has the best idea, there needs to be a retirement process, if you retire it should be more than a press release.
ky_savage
Fantasy
500th
6/23/2013 2:35pm
Tarz483 wrote:
it bugs me that they get to keep the number , a lot of other things bug me about the # system too But an Easy...
it bugs me that they get to keep the number , a lot of other things bug me about the # system too

But an Easy fix would be if Mike Brown races a national , let him run his #3 with a different background , say yellow or green or whatever , and make that back ground the official color for retired past champions ,

example if RC ever races he gets #4 with the new back ground color , and bagget still keeps it

example #2 give out the #16 and if Dowd wants to keep it he can still race with it with the new / other background color

And much respect to Dowd and Brown , i love it when guys come out of retirement for a Race

in the future if there is ever a 125 race in between races , id love to see RC And K DUB , And a lot more come out and use there old #s ,

and off topic but i really wish they had to run in last years finishing order , i think it would make it easy for outsiders to get an idea if a guy with #1 or #2 etc finishes 15th 0r 20th that he is doing bad

and if a guy with #44 OR #175 ...etc... wins , he had a great race and is sorta an underdog!!!

easy peeezeee..
I like this
Coyote
6/23/2013 2:36pm
x100
jeffro503
6/23/2013 2:40pm
Tarz483 wrote:
it bugs me that they get to keep the number , a lot of other things bug me about the # system too But an Easy...

easy peeezeee..
ky_savage wrote:
I like this
I did too actually and forgot to comment. Nice thinking outside the box.
6/23/2013 3:10pm
If the guy can get enough points to keep his number then he earned it no matter how few races he enters. The rest of you can pack sand since you couldnt even earn a triple digit number, no one gives a shit what you think.
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
6/23/2013 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 4:14pm
do you retire the number for anyone who has a career number or just special guys?

People who come to my obviously would be
RC4
KW14
DH19
But what about your Mike Larocco's, Ivan Tedesco's and Grant Langston's? There simply isn't enough numbers to go around to allow people to retire them.
bullpen658
6/23/2013 4:55pm
My opinion is that the permanent numbering system is awesome and should remain the way it is. I hope Mike Brown keeps #3 for another 10 years and honestly think he might be able to if he chooses to do so.
SlingShot
6/23/2013 4:59pm
The only rider whose number should've been permanently retired, is Doug Henry's #19.
The man is a straight up legend.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
6/23/2013 5:07pm
NO.
6/23/2013 5:28pm
mxa thinks motocross should be more like nascar...
so the bike owners will have the numbers...not the riders from now on...
MXerDW
6/23/2013 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2013 5:37pm
The is a motocross message board where we are supposed to have discussions about different subjects that involve SX and MX. But there are some people that just like to attack people personally and not discuss stuff.

Some people need to grew up and act like you are talking to people face to face, because all these personal attacks get really old.
twister
6/23/2013 5:36pm
MXerDW wrote:
The is a motocross message board where we are supposed to have discussions about different subjects that involve SX and MX. But there are some people...
The is a motocross message board where we are supposed to have discussions about different subjects that involve SX and MX. But there are some people that just like to attack people personally and not discuss stuff.

Some people need to grew up and act like you are talking to people face to face, because all these personal attacks get really old.
^^^This
steve_97060
6/23/2013 5:45pm
where has MXA ever stated that?

how about providing a link to what you are claiming?
IWreckALot
6/23/2013 6:42pm
where has MXA ever stated that?

how about providing a link to what you are claiming?
Dude you need to check out this guy's posting history. It's interesting for a lack of a better word. Kinda funny/sad/entertaining. Lot's of Lol's and cryptic messages.

As for the numbers, I don't think we'd get to see Dowd and Brown race into their 40's if the numbering system were to change. They wouldn't have anything to race for if it weren't for keeping their numbers.
fanger
6/23/2013 7:57pm
how many single digit numbers do you see on the start line in a 450 moto? only 3 at the moment. maybe ama should do a system where you get a single digit according to where you placed the previous year in the series? but in my opinion, its time for brown to let the number go, he isn't a series contender anymore and does it for the fun of it now, even if he was at a time great, he isn't now. and yes he can still score points, but so can privateers who actually struggle every weekend to get to the race, seems unfair on the riders who deserve a single digit number.
ga_pike
6/24/2013 7:02am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2013 7:05am
While I understand the idea behind the current system, there was something special about earning a number and running what you earned. Incentive to do your best every race because the difference could be earning a top 99 or not... or a top 10. It was exciting to know you EARNED the #4 and got to run it instead of earning 4th place but having to run the next available number.

We used to get excited about racing at LL because (for the most part) you were awarded a number based on your qualification place or previous year's finish...

Just my $0.02
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/24/2013 7:36am
I agree with that. ^^^

Brownie scored one point last weekend. He's got some work to do to hang onto the number. He said that he's doing Red Bud and Washougal, but has some wiggle room in his schedule where he can do a couple additional races late in the season if needed.

Post a reply to: When a rider retires should their number go too?

The Latest