When 2-strokes were competitive...

Xavier
Edited Date/Time 3/5/2013 11:44am
Great video that MXGeoff exhumed...

2003 GP in Valkenswaard, when 2 & 4-strokes were still decently equal...

Watch World Champs Everts, Pichon and Smets (that's 18 titles right there !), each on different machinery (both Belgians ride 4-smokes but you can tell Smets' KTM is still very old style, almost a different kind of bike !), their different choice of lines, the sounds their bikes make... quite fascinating !

The whole race is really worth watching but give at least the start / first laps +, of course, after the 25mn mark, one of the greatest battles I've witnessed in MX (any side of the ocean)...

Enjoy. (right link next message)
|
Hanaa80
2/25/2013 11:03am
Linky no worky..

Let's see if this works

Manbearpig
2/25/2013 11:25am
Hanaa80 wrote:
Linky no worky..

Let's see if this works

Wow!!..... Pichon looked like he was on a trail ride until he wicked it up and put the hammer down. Ive never seen Everts look so human before. Thanks for sharing this video.
Spartacus
2/25/2013 11:30am
Perhaps the threat title should be;

When 4T didn't have a huge power advantage over 2T.

Just a thought.

Nice clip tho

The Shop

kxking
Fantasy
1235th
2/25/2013 11:44am
Or you could post the video of JS259 going down at the start of the Moto (only125 in the field) and then proceeding to pass everybody else on their 250cc lites bikes. Proving that the right rider can win on anybike !!!

Flame suit on.
jtomasik
2/25/2013 11:47am
"...2003 GP in Valkenswaard, when 2 & 4-strokes were still decently equal...."

Aside from the Henry championship year, 4-strokes weren't 'equal' here until they put RC on one.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
2/25/2013 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2013 12:12pm
Yeah really. It's too bad they aren't competitive with half the displacement. Let's switch the displacements and see the outcome.
daveoevo
2/25/2013 12:42pm
I was there for that one and that pass is one of the best I have seen. He won me 5 euro that day.
DrSweden
2/25/2013 1:23pm
Epic, funny thing I was thinking of this championship the other day, have some old vids where the difference really stood out, maybe it was England? Watched that race again a year ago before the vcr went down in the basement. It was a hard pack race, and it was pretty clear Pichon was totally out traction, rear wheel skidding around, bike reving to the moon (just listen to that sound) while Everts just could basically just point and twist. It was so visible the smokers where dead. Sand I still feel it's hp more than torque, where actually a smoker with 20 lbs would could might have the upper hand? Or just wishful thinking...

The race above, what is missing (I remember this race well) was that Everts lost tons of sprockets in his front wheel after they collided, that's the reason why the gap was build so fast, you can see there's something strange with his front wheel, and he loses gyro effect short after in that jump, and he let off the gas.

Man, I still think Pichon has the best riding style ever, like JMB, Pourcel they all represent a style few can mimic.

I remember this year was the time when the 250 class became the main thing, while the year before Everts and Smets was doing the 500 class
(which I think was the main series at that point)? This meant the death of smokers. Pichon was pretty pissed realizing Zook was a few years behind as they didn't have a banger to offer. This ended his deal with him moving over to Honda the year after?

This era, Pichons riding, listening to his bike made me come out of my hibernation, ended me bying a CR250. Smokers made me come back, and now smokers keeps my interested alive (as a rider at least).
4stroke4DWIN
2/25/2013 1:32pm
To bad Monster doesn't put together a 2 vs 4 shoot out.

Invite 20 of the top guys and have them draw chips, 10 ride smokers and 10 ride fart boxes. 3 moto's 100k to the winner. On a track that would favor both if thats possible. Oh 3rd moto they switch to the opposite bike, kinda wild card round.
daveoevo
2/26/2013 12:29am
DrSweden wrote:
Epic, funny thing I was thinking of this championship the other day, have some old vids where the difference really stood out, maybe it was England...
Epic, funny thing I was thinking of this championship the other day, have some old vids where the difference really stood out, maybe it was England? Watched that race again a year ago before the vcr went down in the basement. It was a hard pack race, and it was pretty clear Pichon was totally out traction, rear wheel skidding around, bike reving to the moon (just listen to that sound) while Everts just could basically just point and twist. It was so visible the smokers where dead. Sand I still feel it's hp more than torque, where actually a smoker with 20 lbs would could might have the upper hand? Or just wishful thinking...

The race above, what is missing (I remember this race well) was that Everts lost tons of sprockets in his front wheel after they collided, that's the reason why the gap was build so fast, you can see there's something strange with his front wheel, and he loses gyro effect short after in that jump, and he let off the gas.

Man, I still think Pichon has the best riding style ever, like JMB, Pourcel they all represent a style few can mimic.

I remember this year was the time when the 250 class became the main thing, while the year before Everts and Smets was doing the 500 class
(which I think was the main series at that point)? This meant the death of smokers. Pichon was pretty pissed realizing Zook was a few years behind as they didn't have a banger to offer. This ended his deal with him moving over to Honda the year after?

This era, Pichons riding, listening to his bike made me come out of my hibernation, ended me bying a CR250. Smokers made me come back, and now smokers keeps my interested alive (as a rider at least).
Suzuki let Pichon go at the end of 2003 and hired Joel smets to develop the RMZ 450. There was a big thing about it because pichon assumed he was in line for that job.
Pichon has always had a rep as a difficult rider to work with and maybe suzuki had had enough.
Xavier
2/26/2013 1:04am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2013 1:34am
DrSweden wrote:
Epic, funny thing I was thinking of this championship the other day, have some old vids where the difference really stood out, maybe it was England...

daveoevo wrote:
Suzuki let Pichon go at the end of 2003 and hired Joel smets to develop the RMZ 450. There was a big thing about it because...
Suzuki let Pichon go at the end of 2003 and hired Joel smets to develop the RMZ 450. There was a big thing about it because pichon assumed he was in line for that job.
Pichon has always had a rep as a difficult rider to work with and maybe suzuki had had enough.
The bottom line is that Pichon started in 6th, on a 2-stroke, and chased Everts (who got the holeshot) for 25mn, eating the 450's roost while using all what his 250 seemed to be capable of... and won the race, thanks to one of the very finest moves I have ever seen on an MX track.

Although he had a lot of respect for Sylvain (and vice-versa), Pichon confessed that he was a pain to work with, even more maybe when he was at the very top of his game, and that he had, indeed, been bad with the team that year...

How about letting down factory engineers who travelled from Japan for some testing ?

That one must have sealed his let-down by the team, later on...

Yes, Mickael thought he had one more year with them, while it was only an option.

Later in the season, he blew his knee and found out only at the last GP in Ernee that Sylvain was exercising his option out.

Smets needed a ride, he was Flemish, close from the workshop, and an experienced 4-stroke rider, when Suzuki was coming out with that new RMZ...

Still, this video shows how good Pichon really was during these two years... Who else have you seen ridicule the great SE72 that way, especially on inferior machinery ??!!

Even more impressive is the fact that Pichon dislocated his shoulder 3 WEEKS before the first GP of 2003 (Spain... that he won) !

This GP in Valkenswaard was the second of the season and Pichon won again, as he won the following GP in Germany...

Everts swung back and won ALL of the remaining 9 GP's (while MP hurt himself, trying to stay on par with that mighty 4-stroke) !!

After that point, it was obvious that 2-strokes could no longer be competitive in GP racing.

Mickael came back the following year on a 4-stroke Honda and was highly competitive with stefan (7 GP wins for the Belgian to 6 GP wins for the Frenchman).

Pichon won his first GP (125) in 1994.

His last (MX3) in 2010 (that's a 16-year range !).

Got 2 SX125 East titles and 2 MX1 titles in between.

A total of 39 GP wins (1 more than Torsten Hallman and 2 more than Roger DeCoster !), which puts in 5th all-time position behind Everts, Robert, Smets and Cairoli.

While Tortelli is a serious contender, behind JMB, Pichon is to be considered the second best French MX-er ever (DV being arguably the second best French SX-er).
Crush
2/26/2013 3:05am
You think Pichon is rated 2nd best Frenchy?

It's so hard with your riders, because you've had an amazing streak of guys who are seemingly full of so much talent that on their day they could just smoke people...

I remember Yves Demaria just mopping the floor at the end of the 94 season, I thought he would make Albee and Everts look silly the next year... Never got there I don't think?

Pichon won two 125 east titles but didn't beat KW a lot I don't think... But as you say won a lot of GPs... He was probably at his best then...

I would kinda like to say it's DV in SX and Tortelli outdoors... DV took down MC and RC on his best day and Tortelli smashed the 125 GPs, Lammy at the MXDN, then Stefan then was probably the fastest outdoor guy in the world through 99-2001 but couldn't stay healthy...

So many guys who just had their special days... Let alone Bolley, Thain, The Pourcel Bros, Roncada, Musquin and way before all of that Vimond...

Amazing amount of Talent!
themrtoad
2/26/2013 4:04am
Xavier wrote:
The bottom line is that Pichon started in 6th, on a 2-stroke, and chased Everts (who got the holeshot) for 25mn, eating the 450's roost while...
The bottom line is that Pichon started in 6th, on a 2-stroke, and chased Everts (who got the holeshot) for 25mn, eating the 450's roost while using all what his 250 seemed to be capable of... and won the race, thanks to one of the very finest moves I have ever seen on an MX track.

Although he had a lot of respect for Sylvain (and vice-versa), Pichon confessed that he was a pain to work with, even more maybe when he was at the very top of his game, and that he had, indeed, been bad with the team that year...

How about letting down factory engineers who travelled from Japan for some testing ?

That one must have sealed his let-down by the team, later on...

Yes, Mickael thought he had one more year with them, while it was only an option.

Later in the season, he blew his knee and found out only at the last GP in Ernee that Sylvain was exercising his option out.

Smets needed a ride, he was Flemish, close from the workshop, and an experienced 4-stroke rider, when Suzuki was coming out with that new RMZ...

Still, this video shows how good Pichon really was during these two years... Who else have you seen ridicule the great SE72 that way, especially on inferior machinery ??!!

Even more impressive is the fact that Pichon dislocated his shoulder 3 WEEKS before the first GP of 2003 (Spain... that he won) !

This GP in Valkenswaard was the second of the season and Pichon won again, as he won the following GP in Germany...

Everts swung back and won ALL of the remaining 9 GP's (while MP hurt himself, trying to stay on par with that mighty 4-stroke) !!

After that point, it was obvious that 2-strokes could no longer be competitive in GP racing.

Mickael came back the following year on a 4-stroke Honda and was highly competitive with stefan (7 GP wins for the Belgian to 6 GP wins for the Frenchman).

Pichon won his first GP (125) in 1994.

His last (MX3) in 2010 (that's a 16-year range !).

Got 2 SX125 East titles and 2 MX1 titles in between.

A total of 39 GP wins (1 more than Torsten Hallman and 2 more than Roger DeCoster !), which puts in 5th all-time position behind Everts, Robert, Smets and Cairoli.

While Tortelli is a serious contender, behind JMB, Pichon is to be considered the second best French MX-er ever (DV being arguably the second best French SX-er).
Since Pichon is my all time favourite rider, I'm far from objective on this one. The same goes for 4strokes vs 2strokes as you know...I talked to MP at the swedish grand prix 2003, and he was really pissed over track maintenance. He felt that they suddenly flattened the track way too often, which made it even harder for him to stay competitive. He was also a victim of more and more riders going 4stroke and turning the track into a 4stroke track.

I really miss having him around, but I'm glad he could retire in one pice and lot's of cash in the banc. He wasn't easy with media, but I felt he said what was on his mind, and he wasn't afraid to critizise. I remember that both he and SE72 really pissed of YS when the delayed the start at south africas GP when it was supposed to go live on tv. YS finally shut them up too, but they were the last topriders trying to raise some resistens.

Off topic...wow what a strong lineup it was back in 2003. Both in numbers and in quality.
Frodad78
2/26/2013 5:46am
Crush wrote:
You think Pichon is rated 2nd best Frenchy? It's so hard with your riders, because you've had an amazing streak of guys who are seemingly full...
You think Pichon is rated 2nd best Frenchy?

It's so hard with your riders, because you've had an amazing streak of guys who are seemingly full of so much talent that on their day they could just smoke people...

I remember Yves Demaria just mopping the floor at the end of the 94 season, I thought he would make Albee and Everts look silly the next year... Never got there I don't think?

Pichon won two 125 east titles but didn't beat KW a lot I don't think... But as you say won a lot of GPs... He was probably at his best then...

I would kinda like to say it's DV in SX and Tortelli outdoors... DV took down MC and RC on his best day and Tortelli smashed the 125 GPs, Lammy at the MXDN, then Stefan then was probably the fastest outdoor guy in the world through 99-2001 but couldn't stay healthy...

So many guys who just had their special days... Let alone Bolley, Thain, The Pourcel Bros, Roncada, Musquin and way before all of that Vimond...

Amazing amount of Talent!
How can you leave JMB out of the Frenchie SX conversation??
ga_pike
2/26/2013 6:05am
How much more "competitive" would the 2 strokes be if the factories had continued to pour into development of them like they did with the 4 strokes? Is it possible that a 250, 2 stroke could still be competitive against a 450, 4 stroke if development had happened at the same rate?

That said, they should open up the displacement and allow 350, 2 strokes to race in the 450 class. Personally, I think the big class should just be an "open", run what you brung class but we all know that won't happen anytime soon.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
2/26/2013 6:06am
"After that point, it was obvious that 2-strokes could no longer be competitive in GP racing. "

Disagree. I know this has turned into basically a Euro thread, but 2-strokes are still very competitive, even in the GPs. Maybe you should have said "After that point, it was obvious that 2-strokes' displacement could no longer be competitive in GP racing."
OldYZRider1
2/26/2013 7:50am
Misleading title to this thread. Two strokes engines in motocross are still a viable and competitive option if the FIM/AMA wanted to let them compete equally and worked on fair technical rules to achieve it.

Since the sports been dominated in the past by the Japanese manufacturers the structure of the sports been bent to satisfy their wishes. Apparently the Japanese want to go "green" and not pursue the two stroke design. Thats their perogative but at the time I'm not sure KTM was of the same opinion. The Austrians seem to be strong supporters of two stroke design and development as KTM and ROTAX are still designing/selling them. But KTM was only one voice out of the five factories competing and had a smallest presence at the time (at least in the AMA series). Four of them are Japanese with a common supplier base to support so their gonna want the same thing. The FIM/AMA accomodated their needs and did nothing to stop the advancing performance of the four stroke engines created by the nearly double displacement advantage they were allowed.

I don't see anything changing though unless KTM's influence continues to grow with their winning ways. Maybe then they'll have enough of a voice to recommend changes be made to create competitive rules for both engine designs.
Xavier
2/26/2013 8:24am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2013 8:26am
burn1986 wrote:
"After that point, it was obvious that 2-strokes could no longer be competitive in GP racing. " Disagree. I know this has turned into basically a...
"After that point, it was obvious that 2-strokes could no longer be competitive in GP racing. "

Disagree. I know this has turned into basically a Euro thread, but 2-strokes are still very competitive, even in the GPs. Maybe you should have said "After that point, it was obvious that 2-strokes' displacement could no longer be competitive in GP racing."
True.
But the thread intended to be historical, not polemical.
Watching Pichon ride this 2-stroke to the limit and beat Everts should, by itself, please the 2-stroke fans !
It is obvious that Pichon is much more at work with the 250 than Everts on his 450 and that his exceptional riding, that day, brought him the victory (not his machinery).
Sure, Everts is the master of making it look easy, but Pichon is a very smooth rider too, the difference in style (and lines) comes from the bikes.
The following GP season, everyone was on 4-strokes (including Pichon) and this is (I think) the last 2-stroke MX1 win (and what a win !).
OXBOY
2/26/2013 8:49am
I remember this GP, with a very fast Rocket Pichon on his Suzuki....what a great battle....

With this video we always have the 2-stroke's sound, but I would like the smell, too.....
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
2/26/2013 9:07am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2013 9:30am
burn1986 wrote:
"After that point, it was obvious that 2-strokes could no longer be competitive in GP racing. " Disagree. I know this has turned into basically a...

Xavier wrote:
True. But the thread intended to be historical, not polemical. Watching Pichon ride this 2-stroke to the limit and beat Everts should, by itself, please the...
True.
But the thread intended to be historical, not polemical.
Watching Pichon ride this 2-stroke to the limit and beat Everts should, by itself, please the 2-stroke fans !
It is obvious that Pichon is much more at work with the 250 than Everts on his 450 and that his exceptional riding, that day, brought him the victory (not his machinery).
Sure, Everts is the master of making it look easy, but Pichon is a very smooth rider too, the difference in style (and lines) comes from the bikes.
The following GP season, everyone was on 4-strokes (including Pichon) and this is (I think) the last 2-stroke MX1 win (and what a win !).
I know, and Pichon was definitely I line to dominate in the GPs had he switched to 4-strokes or been allowed a higher displacement 2-stroke. Historically, this when the sport began to change dramatically (not in a good way).
DrSweden
2/26/2013 11:44am
To sum this up, Pichon bad ass + two strokes bad ass. Pichon + smoker = serios bad ass!Grinning
daveoevo
2/26/2013 12:22pm
DrSweden wrote:
To sum this up, Pichon bad ass + two strokes bad ass. Pichon + smoker = serios bad ass!Grinning
x2
2/26/2013 12:36pm
It's saddening a top 10 GP rider and 2x MX3 world champ is wrenching trucks now to make a living....
DrSweden
2/28/2013 1:51pm
It's saddening a top 10 GP rider and 2x MX3 world champ is wrenching trucks now to make a living....
Who?
ATKpilot99
2/28/2013 2:31pm
DrSweden wrote:
Who?
Wondering the same...Yves Demaria was the first name I thought of.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
2/28/2013 5:18pm
"But the thread intended to be historical, not polemical. "

Good luck with that, Xavier.
zehn
2/28/2013 5:30pm
It amazes me how defensive people get about 2-strokes. It's almost like you're saying something about their mother.

We get it. You like the ring-a-dings and bikes that burn oil. I own a YZ125 and 250 and yes, they are great bikes. Do I get ultra defensive about them when faced with the reality that 4-strokes, from a performance perspective, are better in every way? No.
Mr. G
2/28/2013 9:05pm
You do realize that you are complaining about complainers that shouldn't complain. Sorry, you gave me too much a set up!
SwapperMX
2/28/2013 10:53pm
To add to Pichon's list of accomplishments, which hasn't already been mentioned, was him jumping off the front of his KX 125 over the triple in a Supercross in 96. He landed feet first, and ragdolled. That crash was super scary at the time, but he got up and walked away. That crash has been stuck in my memory ever since. There was a crashed rider on the downramp, and the only way for him to miss him, was to bail. Man, that was gnarly !!

Post a reply to: When 2-strokes were competitive...

The Latest