Wheelie Boys Threads

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 9:15am
Just an FYI...

Any future wheelie boys threads will go straight to the Dumbgeon, unless there's some really compelling reason to keep them around.

Yes, we can all agree that no one likes to hear about bikes being stolen. But some of the suggestions of violence, and/or thinly-veiled (or not) racism generally make these threads extremely unattractive.

Also, I clipped a few people who were suggesting violent solutions in the previous threads. If you were one of them, hit me up in a few weeks if you want back in...and can refrain from doing that again in the future.
|
tcallahan707
7/7/2017 8:52am
There's obviously a line somewhere when it comes to violence and thinly veiled racism. Where that line is, I'm not quite sure. At vital, maybe it's at zero tolerance. I can understand wanting to avoid some venom that will inevitably be spewed because well, this is the internet and these are keyboard warriors. But in the real world, responding with the appropriate amount of force to counter a negative situation and calling a spade a spade needs to be socially acceptable.

The problem is that if it's not acceptable to discuss online, it'll never be acceptable to do in real life. Also, by tossing any new threads, information about thefts and a growing wheelie boyz presence is not passed on. The result is more unsuspecting victims and a lack of public pressure to mitigate the problem.

This is my opinion. It's different than yours. I hope that's not enough of a reason to be clipped.
Ing
7/7/2017 8:59am
There's obviously a line somewhere when it comes to violence and thinly veiled racism. Where that line is, I'm not quite sure. At vital, maybe it's...
There's obviously a line somewhere when it comes to violence and thinly veiled racism. Where that line is, I'm not quite sure. At vital, maybe it's at zero tolerance. I can understand wanting to avoid some venom that will inevitably be spewed because well, this is the internet and these are keyboard warriors. But in the real world, responding with the appropriate amount of force to counter a negative situation and calling a spade a spade needs to be socially acceptable.

The problem is that if it's not acceptable to discuss online, it'll never be acceptable to do in real life. Also, by tossing any new threads, information about thefts and a growing wheelie boyz presence is not passed on. The result is more unsuspecting victims and a lack of public pressure to mitigate the problem.

This is my opinion. It's different than yours. I hope that's not enough of a reason to be clipped.
What a well thought out post. Thanks.

The Shop

JRT812
7/7/2017 9:01am
There's obviously a line somewhere when it comes to violence and thinly veiled racism. Where that line is, I'm not quite sure. At vital, maybe it's...

It appears it is at zero tolerance. My take away is calling a spade a spade is acceptable if done appropriately and it should not be left up to Vital to determine the appropriate amount of force to counter a negative situation.
Acidreamer
7/7/2017 9:04am

JRT812 wrote:
It appears it is at zero tolerance. My take away is calling a spade a spade is acceptable if done appropriately and it should not be...
It appears it is at zero tolerance. My take away is calling a spade a spade is acceptable if done appropriately and it should not be left up to Vital to determine the appropriate amount of force to counter a negative situation.
It has to be zero tolerance to keep a healthy community. Allowing racism is a sure fire way to kill this forum.
Roostermx58
7/7/2017 9:13am
The thread I started wasn't a wheelie boys thread however it was a thread bringing general awareness that dealerships are having a hard time securing their assets and was recognized on national news. Whether it was wheelie boys stealing these bikes or just a thief that turns around and sells them for straight profit couldn't be determine from those surveillance videos. Not sure why it was axed but again I don't make the rules around here. Just trying to contribute to Vital.
JRT812
7/7/2017 9:13am

JRT812 wrote:
It appears it is at zero tolerance. My take away is calling a spade a spade is acceptable if done appropriately and it should not be...
Acidreamer wrote:
It has to be zero tolerance to keep a healthy community. Allowing racism is a sure fire way to kill this forum.
Correct and there is no reason for racism. Just to clarify my previous post, calling a spade a spade does not have to stoop down to the level of racism.
JRT812
7/7/2017 9:15am
The thread I started wasn't a wheelie boys thread however it was a thread bringing general awareness that dealerships are having a hard time securing their...
The thread I started wasn't a wheelie boys thread however it was a thread bringing general awareness that dealerships are having a hard time securing their assets and was recognized on national news. Whether it was wheelie boys stealing these bikes or just a thief that turns around and sells them for straight profit couldn't be determine from those surveillance videos. Not sure why it was axed but again I don't make the rules around here. Just trying to contribute to Vital.
It wasn't axed and only moved to the dumb area. Appreciate the awareness!
Roostermx58
7/7/2017 9:18am
JRT812 wrote:
It wasn't axed and only moved to the dumb area. Appreciate the awareness!
correction moved. It is no longer awareness if it is no longer viewed. Once it gets moved to the Dumbgeon, then it is no longer a topic of conversation as the main discussion points are on the main page.
tcallahan707
7/7/2017 9:20am

JRT812 wrote:
By the nature of zero tolerance, calling a spade a spade is never acceptable or appropriate. That doesn't mean I'm an advocate of anything goes, because there's always going to be a few that can't be reasonable.

Also, I agree that Vital isn't the place to decide what level of force is acceptable. We aren't law enforcement. I just don't like the PCness that comes with making people feel like they are wrong for desiring consequences and/or deterrent for these people. Again, I don't know where the line is drawn.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
7/7/2017 9:29am

I think the problem here is that it is not a real discussion, nor is it the place to have the discussion, because you get more of a one-sided rant, bordering on straight up racism.

What is the point of having the discussion here except to anger people and get a rise out of them?

You know the answers you are going to get when you post something like that here. It never changes...
BobPA
7/7/2017 9:37am

disbanded wrote:
I think the problem here is that it is not a real discussion, nor is it the place to have the discussion, because you get more...
I think the problem here is that it is not a real discussion, nor is it the place to have the discussion, because you get more of a one-sided rant, bordering on straight up racism.

What is the point of having the discussion here except to anger people and get a rise out of them?

You know the answers you are going to get when you post something like that here. It never changes...
I do not remember reading anything about race in the previous thread. Unless you can be racist against thieves? Sounds to me like you are trying to bring the racist card into a discussion which, surprisingly, had not mentioned anything about it.
BMSOBx2
7/7/2017 9:38am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 9:40am

disbanded wrote:
I think the problem here is that it is not a real discussion, nor is it the place to have the discussion, because you get more...

Well said. As tCallahan notes there are always a few who take it too far. I'm not a fan of censorship but violent rants & thinly veiled racism has no place here. Spade or not.
JRT812
7/7/2017 9:39am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 9:40am

JRT812 wrote:
By the nature of zero tolerance, calling a spade a spade is never acceptable or appropriate. That doesn't mean I'm an advocate of anything goes, because...
By the nature of zero tolerance, calling a spade a spade is never acceptable or appropriate. That doesn't mean I'm an advocate of anything goes, because there's always going to be a few that can't be reasonable.

Also, I agree that Vital isn't the place to decide what level of force is acceptable. We aren't law enforcement. I just don't like the PCness that comes with making people feel like they are wrong for desiring consequences and/or deterrent for these people. Again, I don't know where the line is drawn.
I understand what you're saying, but you can call someone out while being honest, but also being tactful. I see no issues seeing a thief on a video and calling him a thief/thug. Or like the many instances of a poster saying something negative about a rider only to get a rise. Nothing wrong with calling the poster out. In the previous thread it was the blanket statements that were questionable and not appropriate Calling a "spade a spade" can be acceptable.
tcallahan707
7/7/2017 9:41am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 9:42am

disbanded wrote:

Like I said in my first post, I completely understand that.

As far as what the point is, I'd say spreading the word and having each other's back against what I would consider a growing problem/epidemic.

Is the solution to bike thefts to ban all bikes? No. It's to go after the dudes stealing bikes in an effort to teach them that actions have consequences and hopefully deter others. Same with a topic on a message board. Should we ban the topic or go after the few that ruin it for everyone?

There's always going to be the outliers on the bell curve in any scenario. I simply don't feel that we should operate at the opposite side of the bell curve in an effort to curb those outliers, because a large majority of us can and do operate in the middle.
tcallahan707
7/7/2017 9:42am

disbanded wrote:

BobPA wrote:
I do not remember reading anything about race in the previous thread. Unless you can be racist against thieves? Sounds to me like you are trying...
I do not remember reading anything about race in the previous thread. Unless you can be racist against thieves? Sounds to me like you are trying to bring the racist card into a discussion which, surprisingly, had not mentioned anything about it.
Also, how is this not the place to have these discussions?
Casting
7/7/2017 9:46am

Vital is not the place for the world's social or criminal issues to be sorted out or solved. This is a forum for moto and it doesn't take much of a brain to see that some of the comments in those threats have just been a soapbox for spewing hate towards African Americans.

The world at large is not being informed of the dangers of bike theft by these threads behind made.

Plus, there is a difference between seeking appropriate justice through the criminal justice system and encouraging violence.
tcallahan707
7/7/2017 9:46am
JRT812 wrote:
By the nature of zero tolerance, calling a spade a spade is never acceptable or appropriate. That doesn't mean I'm an advocate of anything goes, because...

JRT812 wrote:
I understand what you're saying, but you can call someone out while being honest, but also being tactful. I see no issues seeing a thief on...
I understand what you're saying, but you can call someone out while being honest, but also being tactful. I see no issues seeing a thief on a video and calling him a thief/thug. Or like the many instances of a poster saying something negative about a rider only to get a rise. Nothing wrong with calling the poster out. In the previous thread it was the blanket statements that were questionable and not appropriate Calling a "spade a spade" can be acceptable.
I'm in 100% agreement with you on this. My point is that zero tolerance about a topic doesn't even allow the opportunity to call a spade a spade, tactfully of course. If the topic was completely irrelevant or not productive, then I'd be more on board with just saying the hell with that topic. But dealership break ins and bike thefts are a topic that I feel is very important to discuss and share.
kkawboy14
7/7/2017 9:52am

Casting wrote:
Vital is not the place for the world's social or criminal issues to be sorted out or solved. This is a forum for moto and it...
Vital is not the place for the world's social or criminal issues to be sorted out or solved. This is a forum for moto and it doesn't take much of a brain to see that some of the comments in those threats have just been a soapbox for spewing hate towards African Americans.

The world at large is not being informed of the dangers of bike theft by these threads behind made.

Plus, there is a difference between seeking appropriate justice through the criminal justice system and encouraging violence.
Thieves come in all colors not just African Americans. I don't recall any racial stuff in that thread.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
7/7/2017 9:54am
The title of this thread is Wheelie Boys!
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
7/7/2017 9:56am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 9:56am
The theft thread was clipped because of violent suggestions, as GuyB stated above...
aeffertz
7/7/2017 9:57am
One things for sure, the threads definitely aren't Moto-Related.
7/7/2017 9:58am
Deleting wheelie boy robbery threads isn't very tolerant. Seems like victim blaming to me.
jeffro503
7/7/2017 10:02am

Casting wrote:
Vital is not the place for the world's social or criminal issues to be sorted out or solved. This is a forum for moto and it...

That seems to be taking it a little to personal. Black or white.....a thief is a thief. We ( us members here ) can't do anything about what color the thief's skin color is. Just so happens when Michael Akayadin's bike ( sp? ) was stolen a couple years back out of the A1 tunnel.....that guy was white. That thread is still going after 2 years , and many on here wanted to see his head on a stake.

It does not matter what color the person is.....the fact is , he was a thief , and since he got caught stealing the very item many of us love , and why we visit this forum....sort of justifies why some of us get so upset about it. The Wheelie boyz.....I hate them for everything they do , and everything they stand for. I hate them for the stain they have put on all us " motocross guys ".....while they are reeking havoc up and down city streets. If it was a bunch of white trash dudes doing this....I'd hate them as well! I don't give a shit what color their skin is!

We can keep the racist stuff off these boards ( which is a great idea btw! )......but throwing the wheelie boys under the bus and discussing how much they freakin' SUCK!.....gives guys a way to vent a little on all these stolen bikes and the people who steal them!
Roostermx58
7/7/2017 10:04am
disbanded wrote:
The theft thread was clipped because of violent suggestions, as GuyB stated above...
So clip the users and the comments, not the thread. The thread is relevant, some of the comments however were not.
tcallahan707
7/7/2017 10:07am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2017 10:11am

Casting wrote:

Do you think anyone else is talking about it outside of the officer called to the scene and the victim? If us moto junkies aren't talking about it, how does the world at large become informed?

I'm not advocating the hate spewing. Clip those guys if they are only there to do that. But I don't feel that it's racist to say that most illegal dirt bike riders on the streets of America's cities are black. It's simply factual. And if the facts are incorrect, then ok. I'm happy to be corrected. That doesn't mean I'm spewing hate. It's my observation of the problem.

The criminal justice system is not capable of solving this problem in its current state. The public pressure to do so doesn't exist, and it's frickin difficult to even catch these guys. I honestly think this will continue to spread and will be coming to a city near you. It makes too much sense as a criminal because it's so hard to get caught. So until that changes, I'm all for discussions on how else to mitigate the problem legally. If that entails violence to protect what's mine, then so be it. I'm legally allowed to do so here in Colorado. I'm quite concerned that Denver will be one of the next cities infected by this virus and I'm preparing myself for it via locks, lights, dogs, and guns. That doesn't mean I support some of the violent comments made because some were over the top. But again, there is a line and it's different for everyone.

My entire point is that banning the topic is much less productive at solving the problem than banning the few that can't have a reasonable discussion. It appears to be laziness. If you don't wanna moderate a few bad eggs, then maybe working in the internet forum business isn't for you.
tcallahan707
7/7/2017 10:08am

Casting wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
That seems to be taking it a little to personal. Black or white.....a thief is a thief. We ( us members here ) can't do anything...
That seems to be taking it a little to personal. Black or white.....a thief is a thief. We ( us members here ) can't do anything about what color the thief's skin color is. Just so happens when Michael Akayadin's bike ( sp? ) was stolen a couple years back out of the A1 tunnel.....that guy was white. That thread is still going after 2 years , and many on here wanted to see his head on a stake.

It does not matter what color the person is.....the fact is , he was a thief , and since he got caught stealing the very item many of us love , and why we visit this forum....sort of justifies why some of us get so upset about it. The Wheelie boyz.....I hate them for everything they do , and everything they stand for. I hate them for the stain they have put on all us " motocross guys ".....while they are reeking havoc up and down city streets. If it was a bunch of white trash dudes doing this....I'd hate them as well! I don't give a shit what color their skin is!

We can keep the racist stuff off these boards ( which is a great idea btw! )......but throwing the wheelie boys under the bus and discussing how much they freakin' SUCK!.....gives guys a way to vent a little on all these stolen bikes and the people who steal them!
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
tcallahan707
7/7/2017 10:09am
disbanded wrote:
So clip the users and the comments, not the thread. The thread is relevant, some of the comments however were not.
Simple concept isn't it?
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
7/7/2017 10:19am
Take it your city council if you actually want to do something about it. It's Non-Moto!

Post a reply to: Wheelie Boys Threads

The Latest