What’s your take on this shock?

FCMX
Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 10:13pm
This is off of my RMZ450. I’m trying to determine if this is actually “kit” material. What brought this to my attention was when I brought the shock to the shop to have a new bump stop installed, the normal bump stops he keeps in stock for the 16mm shafts did not fit on this shaft. The measurement I got was a diameter of 18.53mm. I’d also like to note that this bike belonged to Teddy Parks at one time. The suspension was set up for Supercross when I got it. Only things I could find was a number 20 and the letter “N” stamped on the bottom. What’s your guys thoughts? Is this possibly an A kit shock?

|
make1go
2/28/2018 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 4:22pm
Obviously its not standard.
I dont know what level it is but that plate with the angled holes is interesting...
Where did that sit?

Hope someone more knowledgable can offer some insight..
tobz
2/28/2018 4:23pm
That's bloody shocking mate.

newmann
2/28/2018 5:35pm
Copper vise jaws...nice. Got me a set on the way. Hope Kevin is doing well, damn string of bad luck his way over the past year. Good looking shock too by the way!

The Shop

FCMX
2/28/2018 5:41pm
newmann wrote:
Copper vise jaws...nice. Got me a set on the way. Hope Kevin is doing well, damn string of bad luck his way over the past year...
Copper vise jaws...nice. Got me a set on the way. Hope Kevin is doing well, damn string of bad luck his way over the past year. Good looking shock too by the way!
It’s a great looking shock! And yes, Phillip Hunt introduced me to the soft jaw set up. Lol
I went to Kevin’s the other day. Gave him a flatscreen monitor so he can have eyes on his back while doing shock work. Damn shame right?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/28/2018 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 7:22pm
FCMX wrote:
This is off of my RMZ450. I’m trying to determine if this is actually “kit” material. What brought this to my attention was when I brought...
This is off of my RMZ450. I’m trying to determine if this is actually “kit” material. What brought this to my attention was when I brought the shock to the shop to have a new bump stop installed, the normal bump stops he keeps in stock for the 16mm shafts did not fit on this shaft. The measurement I got was a diameter of 18.53mm. I’d also like to note that this bike belonged to Teddy Parks at one time. The suspension was set up for Supercross when I got it. Only things I could find was a number 20 and the letter “N” stamped on the bottom. What’s your guys thoughts? Is this possibly an A kit shock?

It's basically a B-kit shock.

That's the stock RM-Z450 body that's been anodized black and a gold titanium nitride shaft, and some internal part swaps. The stock RM-Z450s had 18mm shafts and the larger diameter adjuster of an A-kit shock. The adjuster is a little different however, and that definitely has the stock adjuster in it. An A-kit body has a different taper and size to the reservoir area of the shock.
FCMX
2/28/2018 6:25pm
FCMX wrote:
This is off of my RMZ450. I’m trying to determine if this is actually “kit” material. What brought this to my attention was when I brought...

ML512 wrote:
It's basically a B-kit shock. That's the stock RM-Z450 body that's been anodized black and a gold titanium nitride shaft, and some internal part swaps. The...

That's the stock RM-Z450 body that's been anodized black and a gold titanium nitride shaft, and some internal part swaps. The stock RM-Z450s had 18mm shafts and the larger diameter adjuster of an A-kit shock. The adjuster is a little different however, and that definitely has the stock adjuster in it. An A-kit body has a different taper and size to the reservoir area of the shock.
Thanks bud, that’s the answers I was looking for!
newmann
2/28/2018 6:33pm
newmann wrote:
Copper vise jaws...nice. Got me a set on the way. Hope Kevin is doing well, damn string of bad luck his way over the past year...
FCMX wrote:
It’s a great looking shock! And yes, Phillip Hunt introduced me to the soft jaw set up. Lol I went to Kevin’s the other day. Gave...
It’s a great looking shock! And yes, Phillip Hunt introduced me to the soft jaw set up. Lol
I went to Kevin’s the other day. Gave him a flatscreen monitor so he can have eyes on his back while doing shock work. Damn shame right?
Phillip? Seems we know all the same people.
FCMX
2/28/2018 6:49pm
newmann wrote:
FCMX wrote:
It’s a great looking shock! And yes, Phillip Hunt introduced me to the soft jaw set up. Lol I went to Kevin’s the other day. Gave...
newmann wrote:
Phillip? Seems we know all the same people.
We do indeed sirCool
2/28/2018 10:13pm
ML512 wrote:
It's basically a B-kit shock. That's the stock RM-Z450 body that's been anodized black and a gold titanium nitride shaft, and some internal part swaps. The...

Impressive detective work.

Post a reply to: What’s your take on this shock?

The Latest