What's your pressure wash & bike detail routine?

fourfourone
1/11/2019 7:36am
I use a 1600psi electric power washer that I got at lowes for 99 bucks. Quiet and has just enough pressure to get mud off. The few tracks I ride at has mud that dries like concrete. After a hour drive home the stuff is hard as a rock. I prewash the bike with the power washer to get most of the crap off. I avoid the air box if the air filter still looks clean and I can get another ride out of it. That area doesn't get muddy so I wash it by hand. I then spray the bike with scrubbing bubbles and let is sit for a few. After that a soft carwash brush get off the grime(my bike is white). I then rinse with the power washer and then air dry with an electric leaf blower.
1/11/2019 7:56am
Hose off mud, purple power in a pump sprayer, hose off, chemical guys super suds soap through foam cannon, hose off, dry, lube chain, plastic polish.

My latest cleaning method. Takes about an hour and bike shines!
IDMegaMoto
1/11/2019 11:49am
1) Lube chain before wash.
2) Soak bike with simple green from pump spray bottle.
3) Power-wash.
4) Start bike on stand, let idle in 2nd gear to spin water off chain.
5) Downshift to 1st while still idling, re-lube chain.
6) Change air filter.
7) Lay on side so water will drip out of all the little places.
8) Done...roll it in the garage and put it on the stand.
kNewc
1/11/2019 12:37pm
1. Pressure washer rinse
2. Spray Simplegreen
3. Wash with carwash soap and sponge - clean chain
4. Pressure washer rinse
5. Dry with Towel
6. Lube Chain
7. Use ArmorAll Shine mixed with water to make it shine
8. Change air filter
9. Still be the slowest guy in C Class practice

The Shop

hubbardmx50
11/18/2019 11:28am
Is simple green not a good cleaner to use when washing bikes? I always see so many different opinions on it. I've used it in the past with no issues but just wondering because I have a gallon of it sitting in my garage that needs to be used. If not I guess I'll just stick to car wash soap from Walmart and the foam sprayer attachment for my pressure washer.Whistling
Mr. Afterbar
11/18/2019 12:15pm
Remove seat. Spray bike with shitty old pressure washer. Spray with Mr. Clean from a pesticide sprayer. Let sit for five minutes and spray clean. Wipe down before pushing back in the garage.
bierbower105
11/18/2019 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2019 12:38pm
1.) Remove Seat - Air Box Cover Installed
2.) Seat Back on
3.) Pre Soak
4.) Shout Laundry Cleaner and Soak
5.) Lean on side spazz out - make sure to get under the swingarm, linkage etc
6.) Flip and repeat
7.) On the stand shout again shout tires pretty good this time
8.) Wash Seat - take seat off again and set to drain
9.) Full Spazz mode - spin tires, spin chain, behind number plates, air box etc
10.) Roll back into the shop and hit it with the leaf blower
11.) Rag to get the water spots off the rims and spokes
12.) WD-40 the pipe & scotch-brite - wipe down pipe with towel
13.) WD-40 chain
14.) SC-1 - always SC-1 (even hit the sides of the tires with it)

Never start your bike after a wash until you have a clean air filter in it - just asking to suck water - use a leaf blower to blow water out of your chain. Maniacs.

Gas pressure washer - easier to wash at the track.

Bam. Usually takes me about 3 beers - mudders - could be a whole case who knows.
sandman768
11/18/2019 2:00pm
I”m totally anal over my vintage/evo bikes that I have built, full clean & detail after riding them. My modern bikes get the quick wash with garden hose, scrub brush, change filter, if seat gets wet, I remove & set it in the sun. Spray WD40 or silicone on the chain & all linkage pivots, let sit in the sun or start it up. If the bike has been completely sand blasted I will disassemble & clean all the handle bar controls, Clutch, front brake & throttle have to be like butter....
Taylor415
11/11/2022 5:10am
Pressure wash - only use water most of the time. I’ll use shout if I feel like it needs it but usually not.

Dry with gas leaf blower.

Go over any spots that need more attention, every couple rides I’ll clean the pipe, regrease bearings as needed. Remove seat and make sure there that doesnt need attention.

Spray on SC-1. Don’t really go crazy with it, especially in contact areas. Worth noting that this is usually a good time to change the air filter, pre sc1 of course. This is usually about the time the first beer gets opened.

Lube chain

Wipe off SC-1.

Wheel bike back in garage, looking in admiration while finishing up said beer.
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1724th
11/11/2022 7:49am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2022 10:09am
So TWO guys that have joined the forum today have posted in this thread from 2019...

PFitzG38
11/11/2022 7:51am
I guess chain lube is something I forgot to include. Is there any chain lube out there that doesn't make a mess of the bike and...
I guess chain lube is something I forgot to include. Is there any chain lube out there that doesn't make a mess of the bike and is easy to clean off?
PJ1 blu label. Anything else will end up under your fender
lugnut262
Fantasy
180th
11/11/2022 8:23am
1. Pressure wash with Honda pressure washer
2. Spray with Dawn Pressure Wash soap and let sit for 3-5 min
3. Scrub with brush
4. Rinse with pressure washer
5. Dry with towel
6. Apply SC-1 and wipe with microfiber
7. Change air filter and lube chain
Moto520
11/11/2022 8:59am
i have a really good system that works great for me. I have one of those Kendon 3 rail open trailers that i use to haul my bikes. After a day of riding....at the end....i'll hose the bike down with WD40. I then take the bike to a car wash and spend about $8. The WD40 helps get rid of some of the gunk. I'll pressure was the bike while on the trailer and then take it off and put it on the stand. At this point i will use Liquid bike wash (i get this from Motosport....any other bike wash will work fine) and let it soak in for a couple of minutes. I then do the rinse and load up. The bike dries while driving home but i'll still hit it with compressed air to get rid of any moisture. I then WD40 the bike and ready to rock!
SonofThor32
11/11/2022 9:19am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2022 9:55am
I am surprised there is no mention of pressure washing your boots while washing your bike. It is part of my step 1 when I begin pressure washing.

I know... Some will say don't do that either, but I have been doing it for 40 years without problem. I just blast the dirt or mud off, and hang them upside down to dry. Whatever I find after they have dried, I just clean by hand.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
11/11/2022 10:45am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2022 10:49am
* I spray Simple Green at a 20% mix on the entire bike, except around bearings.
* Then power wash with a fairly narrow stream, skipping the bearing areas.
* Towel dry
I don't touch the bike with a brush or rag. Just power wash it.
If my bike hasn't been washed for a while, it won't be perfectly clean with a single wash without hitting it with a brush.
But, after the second or third wash (with rides in between), the bike is squeaky clean everywhere, without using a brush.
Kyle978
11/11/2022 11:10am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2022 11:11am
Kyle978 wrote:
My real answer to this thread: Step 1: Pull seat to avoid getting waterlogged, remove air filter and put on cover (usually made by Twin-Air) Step...
My real answer to this thread:

Step 1: Pull seat to avoid getting waterlogged, remove air filter and put on cover (usually made by Twin-Air)
Step 2: Lay bike on side, get heavy mud off bottom
Step 3: Put bike on stand, finish getting main dirt off
Step 4: Use mixture of Dawn dish soap, mixed with water. A couple ounces of soap for 32 oz. of water. Dawn is a degreaser, lathers up nice and doesn't cause any discoloration of metal like Simple Green does.
Step 5: Spray on bike, use scrub brush to scrub down bike and let it lather.
Step 6: Use SOS pad on aluminum frame to restore finish
Step 7: Spray bike clean
Step 8: Air compressor to blow dry, specifically electrical connections
Step 9: Re-install filter and seat, start and ride around to make sure any last water gets out.
Step 10: Put bike on stand, apply chain lube and let it wait til the next ride

Another quick tip is to pull plastics and fuel tank every couple washes. Grants you access to areas of the bike you weren't aware collects with dirt, rusts or deteriorates.

This method has gotten me through multiple SX and AX seasons looking sharp.
Almost 100 hours of off-road abuse on this bike using the methods I posted in 2019...

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/11/2022 1:04pm
Nice. That thing is clean.

Good-looking crib, truck, etc., too. Cool
Sandusky26
11/11/2022 2:19pm
Kyle978 wrote:
My real answer to this thread: Step 1: Pull seat to avoid getting waterlogged, remove air filter and put on cover (usually made by Twin-Air) Step...
My real answer to this thread:

Step 1: Pull seat to avoid getting waterlogged, remove air filter and put on cover (usually made by Twin-Air)
Step 2: Lay bike on side, get heavy mud off bottom
Step 3: Put bike on stand, finish getting main dirt off
Step 4: Use mixture of Dawn dish soap, mixed with water. A couple ounces of soap for 32 oz. of water. Dawn is a degreaser, lathers up nice and doesn't cause any discoloration of metal like Simple Green does.
Step 5: Spray on bike, use scrub brush to scrub down bike and let it lather.
Step 6: Use SOS pad on aluminum frame to restore finish
Step 7: Spray bike clean
Step 8: Air compressor to blow dry, specifically electrical connections
Step 9: Re-install filter and seat, start and ride around to make sure any last water gets out.
Step 10: Put bike on stand, apply chain lube and let it wait til the next ride

Another quick tip is to pull plastics and fuel tank every couple washes. Grants you access to areas of the bike you weren't aware collects with dirt, rusts or deteriorates.

This method has gotten me through multiple SX and AX seasons looking sharp.
Kyle978 wrote:
Almost 100 hours of off-road abuse on this bike using the methods I posted in 2019... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/11/11/576330/s1200_Bike2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/11/11/576329/s1200_Bike1.jpg[/img]
Almost 100 hours of off-road abuse on this bike using the methods I posted in 2019...

What have you done besides regular maintenance?

Im on chain slider number 4 at 21 hours and the steering bearings always have moisture in them.
Spergen
11/11/2022 2:58pm
Sandusky26 wrote:

Im on chain slider number 4 at 21 hours and the steering bearings always have moisture in them.
What!!!! 4 Chain sliders at 21 hours? That's not right, my enduro bikes run for 100s of hours with not replacing 1.

Don't suppose you live in a little Dutch town called lommel do you? 😂
Kyle978
11/11/2022 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2022 5:46pm
Sandusky26 wrote:

Shit man, honestly haven’t done much.

I put on an Acerbis chain guide @ 5 hours, and it has replaceable inserts that I’ve changed out twice. OEM swingarm chain slider got replaced around 40 hours, have put 2 Acerbis ones on since. I run Renthal chains, I keep them clean and proper tension and have had good luck.

Other than that, I have done:
5 clutches
2 sets of brake pads F&R
1 set of steering bearings at 70 hours. I do notice moisture in there every time I grease it up (15-20 hours or so)

Then it’s just oil changes and filters every ride, chain and sprockets every 20 hours or so, tires and suspension services. Checked valves twice and they are perfect.

Going to do top and bottom end here shortly and give her hell again for ‘23.

I ride her hard, but put her away with respect. I think she appreciates it.
Kyle978
11/11/2022 5:43pm
Falcon wrote:
Nice. That thing is clean.

Good-looking crib, truck, etc., too. Cool
Thank you, Sir. Thankful for it all!
sandtrack315
11/11/2022 6:50pm
Plug exhaust, twin air filter cover.

With the power washer off, I spray the air box. The I put the side panel on.

Power wash, simple green full strength, scrub, power wash. Gotta lean the bike on its side and take the skid plate off.

Dry with blower and rags, SC1 on the pipe and wd40 on the chain. Chain lube once it dries. Renthal grip covers. New air filter.

yak651
Fantasy
214th
11/11/2022 8:06pm
90% of time wash with garden hose, towel dry, wd40 chain, foot peg, folding shift lever and brake pivots. Next day lube chain and clean filter. When really muddy pull out the pressure washer. Note-if you live in a northern state it’s pretty easy to find pressure washers that were left to have pump freeze with water, run well but no pressure. You can often get these for free to $20. Get one and buy pump off Amazon for $80-100, just like that, $300 pressure washer for $100
Sandusky26
11/12/2022 1:38am
Sandusky26 wrote:

Kyle978 wrote:
Shit man, honestly haven’t done much. I put on an Acerbis chain guide @ 5 hours, and it has replaceable inserts that I’ve changed out twice...
Shit man, honestly haven’t done much.

I put on an Acerbis chain guide @ 5 hours, and it has replaceable inserts that I’ve changed out twice. OEM swingarm chain slider got replaced around 40 hours, have put 2 Acerbis ones on since. I run Renthal chains, I keep them clean and proper tension and have had good luck.

Other than that, I have done:
5 clutches
2 sets of brake pads F&R
1 set of steering bearings at 70 hours. I do notice moisture in there every time I grease it up (15-20 hours or so)

Then it’s just oil changes and filters every ride, chain and sprockets every 20 hours or so, tires and suspension services. Checked valves twice and they are perfect.

Going to do top and bottom end here shortly and give her hell again for ‘23.

I ride her hard, but put her away with respect. I think she appreciates it.
That's crazy you get so much life out of the slider, I have tried Acerbis and Polisport and same thing. I installed the Acerbis chain guide and it's been fine for 17 hours.

Did your clutch start slipping? Or did you change it for piece of mind.
Sandusky26
11/12/2022 1:42am
Sandusky26 wrote:

Spergen wrote:
What!!!! 4 Chain sliders at 21 hours? That's not right, my enduro bikes run for 100s of hours with not replacing 1. Don't suppose you live...
What!!!! 4 Chain sliders at 21 hours? That's not right, my enduro bikes run for 100s of hours with not replacing 1.

Don't suppose you live in a little Dutch town called lommel do you? 😂
I would get black flagged at Lommel, but my local track is a sand track.
Kyle978
11/14/2022 5:21am
Sandusky26 wrote:
That's crazy you get so much life out of the slider, I have tried Acerbis and Polisport and same thing. I installed the Acerbis chain guide...
That's crazy you get so much life out of the slider, I have tried Acerbis and Polisport and same thing. I installed the Acerbis chain guide and it's been fine for 17 hours.

Did your clutch start slipping? Or did you change it for piece of mind.
Yeah man I'm not sure what's up, we ride a ton of sand out here. I spend full days moto'ing sand corner tracks with this bitch.

Never felt the clutch slipping, I'm just a little rough on clutches and I like making sure she's putting all the power to the ground.

These Kawi's are badass man, just give her the love she deserves after each ride and she will treat you right.

AH387
11/14/2022 6:07am
My routine on my YZF is plug the exhaust, lay the bike over with the left grip on the stand. Pull the filter and install the plastic filter cover. Put bike back on the stand and get any big hunks of mud off (if any) with a plastic scraper,then initial spray with an electric pressure washer. I use the wand on full blast in areas that need it/cant be damaged and then back it down around bearings and engine etc. Then spray a Simple Green mix where needed. Spray off. Have a bucket with bike wash and a few brushes for under fender, engine, chain etc. I do that and then the rest of the bike gets a soapy rag to just wipe off anything else. Spray off again. Towel dry (sometimes leaf blower.) Go back to the airbox and dry/clean that all out with a rag and spray. Remove the plastic cover and install a clean filter. WD40 chain and around the engine, pipe etc. SC1 plastic. Every once in a while I'll WD40 and brillo the frame as it gets kind of beat. Then lube the chain a little later.
Richy
11/14/2022 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2022 12:49pm
I'm lazy.

Scrape off any build up at the track before I leave.
Go home, have dinner, sleep it off.
Exhaust butt plug and filter cover.
Pressure washer, leaned over then upright.
Wipe off plastics and stubborn stuff.
Use a nylon brush thing on the chain.
Round two with the pressure washer.
I go easy on the seat, bearings and shiny side of the plastics both times.
Towel dry.
Air-line out the nooks and crannies.
GT85 or WD 40 on engine, chain and linkage.

Done. Feel bad putting it away dirty but I'm tired and hungry, and it still looks fine so far. I do take the plastics and seat and stuff off and give it a wipe over / clean up (while already 'clean') every month (or two if I've not been out much) to keep on top of it.

Post a reply to: What's your pressure wash & bike detail routine?

The Latest