What's your pressure wash & bike detail routine?

Edited Date/Time 11/18/2022 5:08am
1. Do you visit a quarter car wash or do you have your own pressure washer? If you own a pressure washer, what brand/model do you have and do you recommend it? (any Harbor Freight users?)

2. What chemicals do you spray on your bike to clean/degrease before hosing it down?

3. Do you use an air compressor to dry or do you ride it down the street?

4.What products do you use for detailing on plastics, motor, chain, etc? For example, I used to coat all my motors/pipes with WD40 to avoid rust (by the beach). What do you use?

Any special tips, tricks, products, or tools you recommend for this process?

|
Kyle978
1/10/2019 3:59pm
Personally, I ride her real hard and put her away dripping wet.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
1/10/2019 4:00pm
Dude, where have you been? MIA for a while!

1) Standard hose for me. No pressure washer.

2) Tide with bleach in a bucket with hot water.

3) Dry it with a towel with compressed air sometimes. I will never ride it after washing because the filter gets wet and I'm not taking any chances.

4) If I use anything, which is almost never, it's SC1 to make the plastic look a little better. But usually the tide with bleach makes everything look great!
RJMX834
1/10/2019 4:07pm
I was with a Honda pressure washer.
1) i use either 50/50 simple green or a wash that can be found at the GNCC's called Alco bike wash (amazing stuff).

2) i wash the heavy first. Then soak in the degreaser for 3 minutes. Rinse clean. Then i spray it again and scrub it down with the light grit scots sos pad.
3) dry with compressed air or a leaf blower
4) i then spray all the aluminum (cases, frame, swingarm ect.) With supertech lubricant. I do this to prevent oxidation on the engine cases/aluminum 5) spray the plastics down with honda polish, let soak 5 minutes. Then wipe clean with a microfiber towel.
6) as stated above DO NOT ride after washing. Filters wet. Chance of sucking water or dirt.

Enjoy a clean bike!
Kyle978
1/10/2019 4:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 4:43pm
My real answer to this thread:

Step 1: Pull seat to avoid getting waterlogged, remove air filter and put on cover (usually made by Twin-Air)
Step 2: Lay bike on side, get heavy mud off bottom
Step 3: Put bike on stand, finish getting main dirt off
Step 4: Use mixture of Dawn dish soap, mixed with water. A couple ounces of soap for 32 oz. of water. Dawn is a degreaser, lathers up nice and doesn't cause any discoloration of metal like Simple Green does.
Step 5: Spray on bike, use scrub brush to scrub down bike and let it lather.
Step 6: Use SOS pad on aluminum frame to restore finish
Step 7: Spray bike clean
Step 8: Air compressor to blow dry, specifically electrical connections
Step 9: Re-install filter and seat, start and ride around to make sure any last water gets out.
Step 10: Put bike on stand, apply chain lube and let it wait til the next ride

Another quick tip is to pull plastics and fuel tank every couple washes. Grants you access to areas of the bike you weren't aware collects with dirt, rusts or deteriorates.

This method has gotten me through multiple SX and AX seasons looking sharp.

The Shop

1/10/2019 4:38pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Dude, where have you been? MIA for a while! 1) Standard hose for me. No pressure washer. 2) Tide with bleach in a bucket with hot...

3) Dry it with a towel with compressed air sometimes. I will never ride it after washing because the filter gets wet and I'm not taking any chances.

4) If I use anything, which is almost never, it's SC1 to make the plastic look a little better. But usually the tide with bleach makes everything look great!
I've been surfing a lot but now that there's some heavy rain forecasted for next week I'm going to rinse off my old pig and take her out for a ride next weekend. My pig is caked with mud. I've always used Palmolive/WD40 but wanted to see if there was some new products out there.

So this Tide with bleach you use doesn't cause any discoloring to anything on your bike?
kb228
1/10/2019 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 4:40pm
1. Do you visit a quarter car wash or do you have your own pressure washer? If you own a pressure washer, what brand/model do you have and do you recommend it? (any Harbor Freight users?)
I use a ryobi electric power washer from home depot. Cost $70 or so. Works great and has already paid for itself
2. What chemicals do you spray on your bike to clean/degrease before hosing it down?
Dawn or shout. Brake cleaner for chain and sprockets
Towel dry
4.What products do you use for detailing on plastics, motor, chain, etc? For example, I used to coat all my motors/pipes with WD40 to avoid rust (by the beach). What do you use?
Maxima SC1 on plastics. Maxima chain wax for chain. Maxima grease for whatever needs greased. I use no toil for my air filters. No toil is better than belray, pj1, or maxima by far. Red scotch brite from NAPA on frame
1/10/2019 4:39pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Shout .
Pressure wash
Dry
SC-1

It looks like there's a ton of different shout products out there. Is this what you use? If not, send a link to the product you are using

1/10/2019 4:41pm
kb228 wrote:
1. Do you visit a quarter car wash or do you have your own pressure washer? If you own a pressure washer, what brand/model do you...
I use a ryobi electric power washer from home depot. Cost $70 or so. Works great and has already paid for itself
Towel dry
Maxima SC1 on plastics. Maxima chain wax for chain. Maxima grease for whatever needs greased. I use no toil for my air filters. No toil is better than belray, pj1, or maxima by far. Red scotch brite from NAPA on frame
I guess chain lube is something I forgot to include. Is there any chain lube out there that doesn't make a mess of the bike and is easy to clean off?
Kyle978
1/10/2019 4:42pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Shout .
Pressure wash
Dry
SC-1

It looks like there's a ton of different shout products out there. Is this what you use? If not, send a link to the product you...
It looks like there's a ton of different shout products out there. Is this what you use? If not, send a link to the product you are using

Trust me, do not use one of these cleaners. Dawn dish soap mixed with water is by far the best solution for so many reasons.

Most mechanics in the SX pits, unless sponsored by one of the companies like Slick or Muc Off, uses this formula.
Camp332
1/10/2019 4:46pm
1- Plug exhaust
2- Remove seat(I clean seat with minimal water, and Shout, then brush/rinse to avoid messing up seat foam)
3- Remove air filter, and use the twin-air airbox cover to keep intake water tight
4- Pressure wash all the thick stuff off the entire bike(bike on stand, bike leaned over on stand)
5- Shout it out! spray whole bike with Shout, and hit rough spots with a brush
6- Pressure wash again
7- Dry with compressed air
8- SC1 on the spots my legs don't need to grip(that shit is slippery!)
9- Sit back and admire a clean steed
kb228
1/10/2019 4:47pm
kb228 wrote:
1. Do you visit a quarter car wash or do you have your own pressure washer? If you own a pressure washer, what brand/model do you...
Towel dry
I guess chain lube is something I forgot to include. Is there any chain lube out there that doesn't make a mess of the bike and...
I guess chain lube is something I forgot to include. Is there any chain lube out there that doesn't make a mess of the bike and is easy to clean off?
Yea, maxima chain wax. Ive tried others and they all fling off. Even maximas other chain lube in the gray can flings off when it says no fling on the can. Chain wax is tried and true. No mess.
skypig
1/10/2019 4:50pm
Don’t pressure wash any bike you like, and expect to keep.

In Australia we have a common product in Automotive stores - CT-18 Multi Wash (Used to be “Truck Wash”)
It’s magic. Spray on, allow to dry, even over night (I know!!) then hose off with a garden hose. The dirt leaps off.

I only need to touch a brush if I want the chain looking new. And the brake dust on my car wheels.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
1/10/2019 4:51pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Dude, where have you been? MIA for a while! 1) Standard hose for me. No pressure washer. 2) Tide with bleach in a bucket with hot...

I've been surfing a lot but now that there's some heavy rain forecasted for next week I'm going to rinse off my old pig and take...
I've been surfing a lot but now that there's some heavy rain forecasted for next week I'm going to rinse off my old pig and take her out for a ride next weekend. My pig is caked with mud. I've always used Palmolive/WD40 but wanted to see if there was some new products out there.

So this Tide with bleach you use doesn't cause any discoloring to anything on your bike?
Nice! Gotta enjoy the surf while you can right?

Nope, the tide keeps all the whites super nice and the rest of the stuff super new looking also. Been using it for years.
hgrove99
1/10/2019 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 4:55pm
I have a Ryobi pressure washer and recommend it. I have a 2018 yz450f and the first thing I do is put a small trash bag over my starter because Ive heard guys having problems with the starters after washing. I use a 50/50 water/simple green spray on the bike. I take the bike off of the stand and lay it on the ground so that I can spray underneath the bike. I then use my leaf blower to dry the bike. Then I use a towel to dry off any water thats left that the leaf blower missed. Then put chain lube on..boom bitch

Oh and I use a twin air air box cover when washing the bike
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
1/10/2019 4:58pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Shout .
Pressure wash
Dry
SC-1

It looks like there's a ton of different shout products out there. Is this what you use? If not, send a link to the product you...

Kyle978 wrote:
Trust me, do not use one of these cleaners. Dawn dish soap mixed with water is by far the best solution for so many reasons. Most...
Trust me, do not use one of these cleaners. Dawn dish soap mixed with water is by far the best solution for so many reasons.

Most mechanics in the SX pits, unless sponsored by one of the companies like Slick or Muc Off, uses this formula.
Shout will not hurt anything and works great . Not sure what you are talking about .
neysbo
1/10/2019 5:00pm
How the heck do you get this clean without a pressure washer ??? Maybe if you have all day but sometimes only have like a hour to get it clean and ready so pressure washer is only way.

SEEMEFIRST
1/10/2019 5:53pm
Never pressure wash a bike that you don't intend to take apart and re-grease your linkage, and bearings.
Blasting water at any seal is asking for premature wear.
Wildeye511
1/10/2019 6:04pm
Just tried out my new Ryobi electric pressure washer and took that Shout challenge. Worked out really well, bike is ready to ride tomorrrow with BVM111 at Canyon MX.
crockett
1/10/2019 6:40pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Never pressure wash a bike that you don't intend to take apart and re-grease your linkage, and bearings. Blasting water at any seal is asking for...
Never pressure wash a bike that you don't intend to take apart and re-grease your linkage, and bearings.
Blasting water at any seal is asking for premature wear.
You can wash a bike with a pressure washer without blasting the linkages and hubs...
even a regular hose blasted at those parts isn’t a good idea. Besides lack of maintenance will have a larger effect on those parts anyways.
I knew a guy who never ever washed his linkage or swingarm. Believed that if he never went near those parts with a hose the grease would always stay intact. This is while racing a sand track in muddy conditions.
mulletman
1/10/2019 7:08pm
I was given a cheap electric pressure washer that’s only about 1500psi. I rinse off the heavy mud with a garden hose, then use mean green and the sissy pressure washer for the rest. Dry it with cordless leaf blower and lube chain.
JWRM
1/10/2019 7:32pm
On muddy days, I keep it loaded and take it to a coin-op spray station, then detail it at home. Otherwise, I just use laundry detergent or Simple Green in hot water and a pressurized garden hose nozzle.
1/10/2019 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 7:54pm
skypig wrote:
Don’t pressure wash any bike you like, and expect to keep. In Australia we have a common product in Automotive stores - CT-18 Multi Wash (Used...
Don’t pressure wash any bike you like, and expect to keep.

In Australia we have a common product in Automotive stores - CT-18 Multi Wash (Used to be “Truck Wash”)
It’s magic. Spray on, allow to dry, even over night (I know!!) then hose off with a garden hose. The dirt leaps off.

I only need to touch a brush if I want the chain looking new. And the brake dust on my car wheels.

Pig
Supercheap Auto
try this stuff i've using it for about 10yrs (used to be koala care i think)
CT18 $7.16 per litre
S/Wash $3.50 per litre
1/10/2019 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 7:58pm
Crash and leave it dirty in my van for a month full of shitty pump gas

I go to the car wash. Awesome orange spray and about 8-10 min of pressure wash time. I try to avoid spraying the bars directly unless they're real muddy and I put socks over my grips so water doesn't get in
mx216
1/10/2019 10:04pm
ctbale wrote:
1. Px wash bike (staying away from linkages and steering head) and chain while spinning rear wheel 2. start it up and run it thru the...
1. Px wash bike (staying away from linkages and steering head) and chain while spinning rear wheel
2. start it up and run it thru the gears to dry out the chain
3. now the chain is warm and dry, lube with triflow

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVBT3I/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_tit…
not much to say other than that looks like Mtn View in your picture? Make the trip down every once in a while?
Kyle_Miller
Fantasy
893rd
1/10/2019 11:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 11:13pm
I live on the east coast in PA and have seen my fair share of mud caked bikes and this is by far the best process I have found to keep your bike looking like new.

1. Plug exhaust, remove air filter and install air filter wash cover.
2. Pressure wash bike on stand. (I have a Honda gas pressure washer)
3. Lean bike over on stand and pressure wash. (Do both sides)
4. Foam cannon the shizz out of the bike on the stand and give her a quick hit with the hand mit and a soft wash brush. ( foam cannon $16 on amazon and use slick wash or chemical guys stuff in foam cannon)
5. Air dry with compressed air.
6. Spray engine and underside of the bike and fenders with belray 6-1 lubricant. Don’t wipe off just let it soak/dry on. Hands down this is the best stuff to keep mud from sticking to your bike and giving it that like new glossy shine!!! I will say again this is the best stuff ever!
7. Next I put a coat of Maxima SC1 on all the plastics and wipe it down with a rag.
8. Reinstall air filter, remove exhaust plug.
9. Lube chain with belray super clean chain lube.

The one thing I can’t stress enough is to clean your bike ASAP, especially if it’s caked. It will save you a lot of elbow grease and less chance of the dirt staining the bike. Also don’t be afraid to pressure wash your bike. Be smart don’t sit and blast your linkage full bore for 5min straight. Get the heavy stuff off and move on. If you strip your bike once a year and repack the bearings you will be fine. Well it works for me anyway.
zippytech
1/11/2019 7:04am
My motocross bike is a 98.. I don't get carried away with washing it to death.. I also don't really get it to dirty.. I generally only wash it when it gets real dirty or when I need to work on it.

I use a AR Blue Clean AR383 Electric Pressure Washer 1,900 PSI I have had this unit for years and I treat it badly. it sits out side all summer in the sun and has worked great.. I paid like 129.00 bucks for it.
1/11/2019 7:26am
I Pressure wash mine thouroughly. I take the filter out and use a twin air wash cover and plug the exhaust. I use Motul bike wash mostly but if not greeze off.

Being a mechanic I tend to get wanting to frame the bike more often than i should so I usually frame the bike every 8-10 hours of riding ( keep in mind thats about once a month-month and a half). just something I enjoy.

After I was I put WD40 on the chain and let it sit and whip off any extra. I lube the chain before I go riding next.

MY friends always ask how my bikes stay so clean and new looking haha

Post a reply to: What's your pressure wash & bike detail routine?

The Latest