What’s up with the sport?

pkiczuk
10/29/2018 3:41am
I think three main reasons:
1-Places to ride are disappearing. In Connecticut, there is really no public tracks. There's a few private clubs that you can join to ride at their tracks, and memberships to these clubs can be quite expensive but the benefits are there. Sure one of the tracks has open practice days, but those are very rare. The other tracks that we used to have here and were open to the public have shut down. So we either have to ride at someone's private track, or go out of state to ride.
2-Costs of bikes is high. Both used and new, it's hard to find even used bikes that are worth whats being asked for them. People are trying to sell their 15 year old bikes for 3-5k with a description like "runs perfect, except for (insert your choice of issue here). Then for a brand new bike, it's hard for a lot of people to justify spending 10 grand on a bike.
3-Racing in the pros can be boring to watch. Like stated multiple times, when the same 2-3 people are winning every week and that's where all the focus from the camera is, it can definitely get boring. I love tomac, but I find myself hoping something happens just so there can be some kind of battle. It's way more exciting to see the last lap on of a race when 1st place isn't 45 seconds ahead of the field.

just my $.02
10/29/2018 3:46am
Motofinne wrote:
The racing is too boring. Im sorry but that is the fact. We who have been into this sport all our lives and also ride ourselves...
The racing is too boring. Im sorry but that is the fact. We who have been into this sport all our lives and also ride ourselves will watch the races even though we almost know that nothing is going to happen during the main event or the two 30 minute long motos.

There is no way that i could convince any of my friends that doesn't watch or follow the racing because it is too boring. Compare SX or MX to lets say MotoGP. Night and day difference in entertainment and that is why MotoGP is growing, even the people that have no relationship with it can appreciate it.

It's difficult to raise more money into Pro racing when there aren't enough people watching it and on top of that there are 3 different top level series scattered around the world with multiple classes.
Look how big F1 is. If there's a sport that is "boring" and predictable, it's that.
Motofinne
10/29/2018 3:49am
Motofinne wrote:
The racing is too boring. Im sorry but that is the fact. We who have been into this sport all our lives and also ride ourselves...
The racing is too boring. Im sorry but that is the fact. We who have been into this sport all our lives and also ride ourselves will watch the races even though we almost know that nothing is going to happen during the main event or the two 30 minute long motos.

There is no way that i could convince any of my friends that doesn't watch or follow the racing because it is too boring. Compare SX or MX to lets say MotoGP. Night and day difference in entertainment and that is why MotoGP is growing, even the people that have no relationship with it can appreciate it.

It's difficult to raise more money into Pro racing when there aren't enough people watching it and on top of that there are 3 different top level series scattered around the world with multiple classes.
EnvyMedia wrote:
Look how big F1 is. If there's a sport that is "boring" and predictable, it's that.
I knew someone would mention F1! There are however multiple reasons why F1 still is huge, but the TV numbers are declining there also.
PRM31
10/29/2018 4:02am
Not every sport is going to be like NASCAR was, or football, or whatever. MX/SX never has been, and never will be that big. However, the sport seems to decline as a result of less local participation. I thought about racing again, but looking at the results, each class often has less than 10 riders and many of those guys are signed into multiple classes so the actual number of riders is less. Far cry from the days of 30-50 in every class. Hard to be excited for that. The more expensive it is to participate the fewer will be involved. That’s part of it. An iPhone now costs more than my old 80s. I know, inflation, but still, the money is there for bikes if they were a few grand. The other is the world is changing. I don’t think the desire for the challenge and risk is there in society. Here’s an anecdote; I retired from the Navy, and when I was in flight school, getting fighters was hard. In general, every dude wanted fighters, only the top guys got them and the rest were sent to helos, big planes, etc. Today, it’s flipped, they have to force guys to go fighters. A big percentage of guys today would rather be straight and level, low risk, than be in a high risk, high stress environment.

Long way of saying, if the manufacturers sell fewer bikes, they have less money for racing.

The Shop

10/29/2018 4:06am
Motofinne wrote:

EnvyMedia wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
I knew someone would mention F1! There are however multiple reasons why F1 still is huge, but the TV numbers are declining there also.
Just thinking it has nothing to do with boringness or excitement of racing, more with the overall reputation and niche of the sport.

For example: F1 blew up in The Netherlands with the come of Max Verstappen, and all of a sudden everyone here is a F1 fan. F1 already had that high status so mainstream media blows it up when there's finally a Dutchmen doing good, and everyone buys the hype. MXGP finally gets some mainstream attention and news with Herlings now being a MXGP champion, but not nearly as much as F1 gets.
Motofinne
10/29/2018 5:07am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 6:04am
EnvyMedia wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
EnvyMedia wrote:
Just thinking it has nothing to do with boringness or excitement of racing, more with the overall reputation and niche of the sport. For example: F1...
Just thinking it has nothing to do with boringness or excitement of racing, more with the overall reputation and niche of the sport.

For example: F1 blew up in The Netherlands with the come of Max Verstappen, and all of a sudden everyone here is a F1 fan. F1 already had that high status so mainstream media blows it up when there's finally a Dutchmen doing good, and everyone buys the hype. MXGP finally gets some mainstream attention and news with Herlings now being a MXGP champion, but not nearly as much as F1 gets.
That is the key. F1 was already a huge sport before Verstappen, it's easy to jump on the bandwagon when he came to F1. Same with Magnussen in Denmark although on a way smaller scale.

Do you think that SX will be huge in Netherlands if some dude from there becomes the 450 SX champ in 2030? I don't think so. What i'm trying to say is that our sport is too boring and too unknown to get much bigger at the moment.

Anyways, there will always be talented guys without spots in our small sport.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/29/2018 6:01am
early wrote:
Roczen, Seely, Tomac, Savatgy, Musquin, Webb, Anderson, Osborne, Barcia, Plessinger, Hill, Peick.

Who are you kicking out?
drt410 wrote:
Pike, Hill, Seely, or Webb for Deano.
brimx153 wrote:
How many times has Deano beat peick and seely in the last 2 yrs .?? .Surely has won a 450 main peick finished top 5 last...
How many times has Deano beat peick and seely in the last 2 yrs .?? .Surely has won a 450 main peick finished top 5 last yr .And also always stays racing .then you have Hill who this is his first yr in 450 .Deano has had multabile yrs on factory bikes .so surely he deserves a chance over Dean .. I Agree that Webb and Deano is a toss up
Some people have some seriously Rose colored glasses when they look at Wilson. Dude has talent and determination but also has had a lot of time on the bench with his factory bike sitting on the stand. His results are not significantly better than anyone else with a full factory ride. I don't know if he would have taken the lead ride at HEP Suzuki or Pheonix Honda, seems like that may have been a good place for him but I'm guessing Husly told him there was no room too late.

I want to see what the rookies can do, this is the first season in a couple years where there's a good class moving up, they need a place to go. Personally, I would have loved to see Brayton, Mookie, Wilson on MCR. That team would have been a powerhouse in SX.
tprice07
10/29/2018 7:58am
Only so many spots on the gate...both Dean and Malcolm have/had opportunities. Dean wants the factory fill in, so he turned them down. Is Malcolm not going to ride for MCR?

The bigger question, to me at least, are the placing value in the correct places? Are you really getting a better ROI with better results? Or could you do better grabbing someone with some personality like Malcom, Dean, Chad, etc? If I'm putting my money somewhere I'm going for the guy with the personality. But I guess that's why I'm on here instead of signing the checks.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
10/29/2018 11:49am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 11:59am
mxb2 wrote:
You are at the wrong job if your wage is the same after 15 years.
Okay Mr "Disagreeable with Everything".

Duh. Well not exactly the same, but most of us are still paid wholesale and buy retail. And the retail to wholesale gap is getting wider every year.

And it doesn't matter whether you agree or not, things are costing more and people are making less relative to the increase in inflation.

(Forest for the trees bro)
mxb2
10/29/2018 11:55am
mxb2 wrote:
burn1986 wrote:
Okay Mr "Disagreeable with Everything". Duh. Well not exactly the same, but most of us are still paid wholesale and buy retail. And the retail to...

Duh. Well not exactly the same, but most of us are still paid wholesale and buy retail. And the retail to wholesale gap is getting wider every year.

And it doesn't matter whether you agree or not, things are costing more and people are making less relative to the increase in inflation.

Is the truth called mr disagreeable. Lol. Sorry for the facts. Better find a safe space.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
10/29/2018 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 12:15pm
mxb2 wrote:
burn1986 wrote:
Okay Mr "Disagreeable with Everything". Duh. Well not exactly the same, but most of us are still paid wholesale and buy retail. And the retail to...

mxb2 wrote:
Is the truth called mr disagreeable. Lol. Sorry for the facts. Better find a safe space.
Our wages have gone up a little bit, but are they really matching the increasing prices?

Yeah, there is a time to be all positive (and there are a lot of positives in the sport right now), but you can't just put you head in the sand and say "I disagree". I've decided things are better today than ever.
mxb2
10/29/2018 12:21pm
burn1986 wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
burn1986 wrote:
Our wages have gone up a little bit, but are they really matching the increasing prices? Yeah, there is a time to be all positive (and...
Our wages have gone up a little bit, but are they really matching the increasing prices?

Yeah, there is a time to be all positive (and there are a lot of positives in the sport right now), but you can't just put you head in the sand and say "I disagree". I've decided things are better today than ever.
Yep today is way better than it was. And if i want something i normally cant afford. I work extra hours and days off. The bikes are better. People wanted technology , now complain on costs. Cant have it both ways.
JM485
10/29/2018 12:36pm
sandman768 wrote:
What's up with the sport? For some it does not matter if the sport is growing or dying. I still train, ride & race as much...
What's up with the sport? For some it does not matter if the sport is growing or dying. I still train, ride & race as much as my body will allow, does not matter to me what the pro scene looks like...we will likely never be as big as we were in the 70"S through 90"s due to the higher cost of participation and the shrinking local riding spots among other factors. As far as top level pros not having factory rides....always been that way, very little room at the top in this sport. We are a Niche sport, always have been always will be.
Wait a second, you mean to tell me that moto is really about riding and not worrying on Vital about whether “the sport” is growing or decaying regardless of whether or not said bi-weekly conversations will have any tangible impact on anything? No way bro, you’re out of your damn mind, these fine folks on here are on a sport saving mission like nobody has ever seen before and it all starts with a fresh post about it each and every week.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
10/29/2018 12:46pm
mxb2 wrote:
Yep today is way better than it was. And if i want something i normally cant afford. I work extra hours and days off. The bikes...
Yep today is way better than it was. And if i want something i normally cant afford. I work extra hours and days off. The bikes are better. People wanted technology , now complain on costs. Cant have it both ways.
Is it way better today than it was? I think you misunderstood my last sentence. I like all the new tech on the bikes and yes they are the coolest. But the sport is becoming less affordable, and is out of reach for most of us. I don't blame it on the sport or what people want. Its just the nature of technological advancement and the economical environment we're in. Everything is costing more.
mxb2
10/29/2018 1:10pm
mxb2 wrote:
Yep today is way better than it was. And if i want something i normally cant afford. I work extra hours and days off. The bikes...
burn1986 wrote:
Is it way better today than it was? I think you misunderstood my last sentence. I like all the new tech on the bikes and yes...
Is it way better today than it was? I think you misunderstood my last sentence. I like all the new tech on the bikes and yes they are the coolest. But the sport is becoming less affordable, and is out of reach for most of us. I don't blame it on the sport or what people want. Its just the nature of technological advancement and the economical environment we're in. Everything is costing more.
Yessir.
ron36
10/29/2018 1:20pm
Premix wrote:
And yet, there’s still amatuer parents out there refinancing homes and declaring bankruptcy so junior has a shot at it. ???
It all about making dreams come true, not become rich fast..
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
10/29/2018 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 4:03pm
aroark247 wrote:
Honestly, kick out Seely, Savatgy, Hill and Peick. For Wilson anyway.
I'm a fan of both riders. But Seely has had better results than Wilson the past couple of years, beating him straight up in most of the races. We'll have to see if Seely can return to 100% in 2019.

Post a reply to: What’s up with the sport?

The Latest