What’s up with the sport?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/27/2018 6:25 AM

Never thought I would see the day with riders like Mookie and Wilson ride privateer bikes. Either the sport is saturated or not enough teams and money in it anymore.

|

10/27/2018 6:36 AM

Self destruction

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

10/27/2018 6:45 AM

what did you say, I was on my phone......

|

10/27/2018 6:47 AM

level wrote:

Never thought I would see the day with riders like Mookie and Wilson ride privateer bikes. Either the sport is saturated or ...more

Let's be honest. Malcolm doesn't seem to be as "dedicated" to training as other top guys and poor old Dean just can't stay healthy. Both are super skilled and have had spots on great teams but money seems tight so other riders are getting the nod. Nothing new.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/27/2018 7:20 AM

level wrote:

Never thought I would see the day with riders like Mookie and Wilson ride privateer bikes. Either the sport is saturated or ...more

Roczen, Seely, Tomac, Savatgy, Musquin, Webb, Anderson, Osborne, Barcia, Plessinger, Hill, Peick.

Who are you kicking out?

|

10/27/2018 7:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2018 7:37 AM

12 guys getting market share. Rest are peasants chasin the dream. No different than anything else. Best performers make the most.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/27/2018 7:30 AM

IMO, MCR has pretty darn good equipment

|

10/27/2018 7:59 AM

There aren't enough resources to go around.

The sport is dying at the local level, and the wealth trickles up. Less people riding and racing will result in less resources being made available for non-winning pro racers.

|

"Thank God my father wasn't rich."
-Hurricane

"You wouldn't take clay to Southwick, so why take sand to Red Bud?"
-DV

"I ride a two-stroke because I am Weigandt-level cheap"
-Me

10/27/2018 8:11 AM

711stretch wrote:

what did you say, I was on my phone......

Way over these other guys heads! But, I hear ya..

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

10/27/2018 8:23 AM

Trim the “fat” off of team heirarchy, structure and pit presence and add additional riders to the team. It’s what the rest of coorporate america does.

|

10/27/2018 8:28 AM

And yet, there’s still amatuer parents out there refinancing homes and declaring bankruptcy so junior has a shot at it. ???

|

10/27/2018 9:01 AM

brocster wrote:

Trim the “fat” off of team heirarchy, structure and pit presence and add additional riders to the team. It’s what the rest of ...more

I'm not a team accountant, is there 300k-500k (low end to add a rider) that can be trimmed and keep the sponsors happy?

|

10/27/2018 9:04 AM

Winner takes all effect is in full swing in every niche from business to sport. And inside sports, individual ones take the worst part, and inside these the ones that don't compete 1 on 1 like tennis are even worse. I cant imagine a worse sport for brand exposure than ours in wich the 2nd best rider in the world might not even win once.

|

10/27/2018 9:06 AM

"Back in the day", it seemed like riders didn't have 'careers' that lasted as long as we expect them to today. If a rider had a bad year (or 2 tops) it seemed like they were out of the running for any more 'factory' rides. I remember it being something of a big deal when Larry Ward got a factory ride after returning to privateer status for a little while. Now it seems that guys stay at the level of 'factory support' forever, and it makes it a lot tougher for the new guys to get a shot at the top teams and equipment to try to prove their worth. But eventually guys have to move out for new talent to come in, and even some extremely talented guys are going to be passed over as teams look towards the future.

|

10/27/2018 9:22 AM

Medical and training advancement has prolonged riders careers well past what they were even 20 years ago. Shit RJ was taken out with a broken scaphoid in his prime .... a scaphoid?! now these guys destroy their knees and 4 months back on a the motorcycle, scaphoid no problem screw it back together and they are back on the bike relatively quickly, collar bone... plate it and 2 weeks later maintain your lead in the GP championship. There are only so many rides to go around... it is what it is.

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/27/2018 9:27 AM

Bry145 wrote:

There aren't enough resources to go around.

The sport is dying at the local level, and the wealth trickles up. Less people ...more

The « wealth trickles up » ?! What kinda school did you go to ? Lol

But i know what you mean, when the sport is dying on the local level there’s probably not big enough of an industry to have all these paying rides like there where in the early 2000s. If we want want the OEMs to sponsor more rides then we need to buy more bikes. Thats not gonna happen so we’re pretty much fucked.

I wonder when the Japanese are just gonna say “screw it lets leave these pathetic dirtbike sales to KTM theres no money in it anyways “

|

10/27/2018 9:27 AM

level wrote:

early wrote:

Roczen, Seely, Tomac, Savatgy, Musquin, Webb, Anderson, Osborne, Barcia, Plessinger, Hill, Peick.

Who are you kicking out?

Honestly, kick out Seely, Savatgy, Hill and Peick. For Wilson anyway.

|

10/27/2018 10:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2018 10:42 AM

Privateer now is not what Privateer was in years past. People act like these guys are buying and running stock bikes, buying their own riding gear, working on the bikes themselves, driving to the races and sleeping in their vans lol.

Mookie and Wilson get free bikes, A-kit suspension, free parts and gear, free vehicles, mechanics, hotels and fly to the races. That was Factory level support in years past.

As mentioned unless they take top 10 overall in both 450 SX and 450 MX they don't deserve anything better. They have it damn good actually.

Seriously, do either of them look like they are hurting for money?

|

10/27/2018 10:40 AM

My 2 cents I am now and always will be a firm believer that the death of our sport correlates directly to the end of the 125 jr. class at most amateur events. This was the show anyone from 12 up could be in that class and it was not uncommon to have qualifiers right after practice at local events. Now at 100 rider combined local events it's rare to see 10 125's.

|

10/27/2018 10:45 AM

Bermworm wrote:

My 2 cents I am now and always will be a firm believer that the death of our sport correlates directly to the end of the 125 ...more

The op was referring to the pro side of the sport. Your point is a separate discussion but valid.

|

10/27/2018 11:01 AM

brocster wrote:

Trim the “fat” off of team heirarchy, structure and pit presence and add additional riders to the team. It’s what the rest of ...more

early wrote:

I'm not a team accountant, is there 300k-500k (low end to add a rider) that can be trimmed and keep the sponsors happy?

The better answer is let the teams sell swag and support their sponsors better at the races. This will help a lot more than cutting personnel from race teams.

I’m actually amazed the raceday experiences from BTO/Fly or CR22 weren’t somehow blocked by Feld.

|

10/27/2018 11:29 AM

level wrote:

early wrote:

Who are you kicking out?

Oh, I'm definitely trading Webb and hill for mookie and deano.

|

"Life is Too Short To Last Long"

10/27/2018 12:09 PM

Frank wrote:

Privateer now is not what Privateer was in years past. People act like these guys are buying and running stock bikes, buying ...more

Gotta agree. Brand new Sprinter vans/trucks, fully built bikes, decent sized home in Cali, private track, etc. No tears here.

|

10/27/2018 12:37 PM

brocster wrote:

early wrote:

My point exactly. It shouldn’t take 300-500k to throw another bike or two in the truck or should I say a modest truck.

|

10/27/2018 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2018 1:36 PM

One big point being missed here, and that is the 250 class. At least another dozen good paying rides are going to that class. I don’t blame the teams, I would do the same thing if I was them. I blame the rule makers,

|

10/27/2018 1:40 PM

Isn't MCR Supercross only? I can't imagine a better team for Malcolm.

|

10/27/2018 1:46 PM

The sport thought it was Nascar Cup when it is dirt late model at best.

|

10/27/2018 2:23 PM

level wrote:

early wrote:

Who are you kicking out?

Id kick hill for wilson... hill is a flop

|

10/27/2018 3:16 PM

kb228 wrote:

Id kick hill for wilson... hill is a flop

I'll give him this season before declaring that.

|

10/27/2018 3:20 PM

brocster wrote:

early wrote:

brocster wrote:

My point exactly. It shouldn’t take 300-500k to throw another bike or two in the truck or should I say a modest truck.

Are we talked ng about factory level team here? Dean has said he isn't on a lower level team because hes banking on another fill in ride and doesn't want to be committed.

|