What's up with the YZF450?

ridge
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 4:29pm
Is it me or are all the Yamaha riders struggling because of the bike?

Stewart isn't the same and I have to think it is because of the bike. He had the missed shift (bog?) and then at A2 he came up short on that triple a couple of times. The one I saw looked like he lost power on take off.

Grant has a tuff block locking up his rear wheel and simply thinks it's a problem with the bike. Is that something that happens a lot?

Hill is hurt so...

Reed is faster than ever after getting off the Yamaha. Is it the Suzuki? Is it the RC influence? Is it simply a new Reed?

What says you?
|
Zycki11
1/18/2009 1:56pm
The bikes are good, and Stewart mistimed the quad. You can see it because he was fumbling with his tearoffs. He might need to adjust some things still, but overall Grant has done awesome on it. He thought something was wrong because those things happen. As for Reed... who knows. Many things have changed. Happy days are here with great racing...
Holigan
1/18/2009 2:02pm
The YZ 450 is the only bike to win a race so far this year.
tunedlength
1/18/2009 2:05pm
ridge wrote:
Is it me or are all the Yamaha riders struggling because of the bike? Stewart isn't the same and I have to think it is because...

Stewart isn't the same and I have to think it is because of the bike. He had the missed shift (bog?) and then at A2 he came up short on that triple a couple of times. The one I saw looked like he lost power on take off.

Grant has a tuff block locking up his rear wheel and simply thinks it's a problem with the bike. Is that something that happens a lot?

Hill is hurt so...

Reed is faster than ever after getting off the Yamaha. Is it the Suzuki? Is it the RC influence? Is it simply a new Reed?

What says you?
So if he was on another brand, He wouldn't have thought there was something wrong with his bike?
Nice logic.
LIVEWIRE
1/18/2009 2:14pm
ridge wrote:
Is it me or are all the Yamaha riders struggling because of the bike? Stewart isn't the same and I have to think it is because...

Hill is hurt so...

What says you?
are all the Yamaha riders struggling because of the bike?

No, next question.

The Shop

ridge
1/18/2009 2:17pm
Holigan wrote:
LOL

True.
rubarb
1/18/2009 3:20pm
my yami has a nasty bog, been trying tune that thing for a while now.

one time that bitch bogged at comp edge and I didn't shift my weight according the bogged momentum of the bike....ended up pinching a nerve in my back.
WhKnuckle
1/18/2009 3:29pm
That bike won the MX championship in '07, the SX championship in '08 and the first 3 races of this year. Not to mention about a jillion GP championships under Everts. It seems OK to me.
41NDT
1/18/2009 3:32pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
That bike won the MX championship in '07, the SX championship in '08 and the first 3 races of this year. Not to mention about a...
That bike won the MX championship in '07, the SX championship in '08 and the first 3 races of this year. Not to mention about a jillion GP championships under Everts. It seems OK to me.
08 Aus MX Championships
08 MX1 World Championships
Could this be the end of Yamaha?
kevin204
Fantasy
2870th
1/18/2009 3:33pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
That bike won the MX championship in '07, the SX championship in '08 and the first 3 races of this year. Not to mention about a...
Also the 2008 Canadian National championship, and 2008 MXGP title. The bike has won everything in the last few years.
ridge
1/18/2009 5:18pm
I'm not against Yamaha, just an observation. I think mostly because Bubba isn't crushing everybody like in years past, and I remember Reed saying how impressed he is with the Zuk. For once, maybe it's the truth.
BobbyM
1/18/2009 5:20pm
Holigan wrote:
it's a piano with wheels...how can it win?Smile
BobbyM
1/18/2009 5:20pm
Holigan wrote:
it's a piano with wheels...how can it win?Smile
Short 43
1/18/2009 5:34pm
rubarb wrote:
my yami has a nasty bog, been trying tune that thing for a while now. one time that bitch bogged at comp edge and I didn't...

one time that bitch bogged at comp edge and I didn't shift my weight according the bogged momentum of the bike....ended up pinching a nerve in my back.
Tru dat. I love my '07 250F, but Yamaha needs to get the bog fixed.
teggers
1/19/2009 2:36am
ridge wrote:
I'm not against Yamaha, just an observation. I think mostly because Bubba isn't crushing everybody like in years past, and I remember Reed saying how impressed...
I'm not against Yamaha, just an observation. I think mostly because Bubba isn't crushing everybody like in years past, and I remember Reed saying how impressed he is with the Zuk. For once, maybe it's the truth.
That's an interesting observation.
DPW
1/19/2009 3:16am
so this wide spread "Yamaha Bog epidemic" why is Reed the only person that has mentioned it?
hillbilly
1/19/2009 4:53am
He lost his long time wrench in JA who went to joe gibbs,ever since then he has struggled with bike setup,this also happened about the time of the 4 str switch which takes a different setup.

If you got someone who can stand beside the track and tell exactly what is wrong with the bike per your riding style then loose that person and their input it is like loosing your right hand.
adamdf
1/19/2009 4:55am
ridge wrote:

Hill is hurt so...

What says you?
What? Only Yamahas get tuff blocks in the rear wheel?

I think it is called James being on a new bike and still getting things dialed in, don't think it may not be any different or possibly even worse with any other brand.

And about Reed, let us give him some credit, he is riding FAST!
Motodude
1/19/2009 4:58am
Bubba's on the best bike out there, why isnt he running away and hiding from everyone on it?
Holigan
1/19/2009 7:07am
rubarb wrote:
my yami has a nasty bog, been trying tune that thing for a while now. one time that bitch bogged at comp edge and I didn't...

Yamaha builds a great bike, which is one of the big reasons they win so many races and championships. All of the big 5 makes great bikes, and they all have strengths and weakness. Yamaha is definitely one of the best.

BOG IS CAUSED BY A LEAN MIXTURE. 99% of the people working on carbs don’t understand how to set them up correctly. The first thing they do is to jet it richer, which in most cases stops the bog. Unfortunately they have made the hot starting worse and reduced the power.

The correct way to make a 4 stroke carb work is set the main, needle taper, clip position, needle diameter, pilot jet and fuel screw for the correct air to fuel ratio (aka AFR) AT EACH RELEVANT THROTTLE OPENING and then introduce an adequate amount of fuel with the accelerator pump to maintain the AFR. If this is done the bike won’t bog. Even the CRF250 with its 450 size carb will accelerate without bogging. In fact you can get a 450 to accelerate so hard it just spins the rear tire and you have to back down the leak jet for the traction/conditions you are riding in.

You can either replace the leak jets manually or you can add on an ALJ (adjustable leak jet) for adjusting when the air density changes. Next SX race while cruising the pits, look on the bottom of some of the Yamaha carbs in the 450 class.
WhKnuckle
1/19/2009 7:11am
Motodude wrote:
Bubba's on the best bike out there, why isnt he running away and hiding from everyone on it?
According to you, Reed is absolutely riding at the pinnacle of his career on the best bike ever built, why is he oh for 3? And two of those tracks were at Anaheim, where he's done better than anywhere else traditionally.
837wills
1/19/2009 7:50am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2009 7:53am
Holigan wrote:
SNAP!!

Perfectly put!!
837wills
1/19/2009 7:52am
Motodude wrote:
WhKnuckle wrote:
According to you, Reed is absolutely riding at the pinnacle of his career on the best bike ever built, why is he oh for 3? And...
According to you, Reed is absolutely riding at the pinnacle of his career on the best bike ever built, why is he oh for 3? And two of those tracks were at Anaheim, where he's done better than anywhere else traditionally.
0 FOR 3 with the points lead and faster then "the fastest rider on the planet" at A2

you dope!
mxav8r
1/19/2009 8:15am
YZF450? Dude.. I dont think I have ever seen that quad on a supercross track? And I really didn't know the YZF450 had a bog issue. It's a great 4wheeler!
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
1/19/2009 8:19am
mxav8r wrote:
YZF450? Dude.. I dont think I have ever seen that quad on a supercross track? And I really didn't know the YZF450 had a bog issue...
YZF450? Dude.. I dont think I have ever seen that quad on a supercross track? And I really didn't know the YZF450 had a bog issue. It's a great 4wheeler!
Um...the quad is the YFZ 450.
-eagle-
1/19/2009 8:20am
I'm hoping #27 starts climbing up through the standings.
mxav8r
1/19/2009 8:25am
mxav8r wrote:
YZF450? Dude.. I dont think I have ever seen that quad on a supercross track? And I really didn't know the YZF450 had a bog issue...
SPYGUY wrote:
Oh.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
1/19/2009 8:35am
mxav8r wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:
mxav8r wrote:
Oh.
I give you more credit for actually not knowing.
Adam43
1/19/2009 8:47am
It is what it is. Yamahas tend to have a bit of a different "feel" than the other Jap brands. Its not better, or worse, and it is certainly as competitive as anything. Their bikes are very narrow feeling, tend to carry more weight on the front wheel, and would rather be steered than leaned.

It's just a different style of handling. Bubba has rode on Kawi frames his entire life so of course there is going to be a learning process. He has won 2 out of 3 already so I'd say its all going well.
Drfletcher
1/19/2009 10:05am
I never had a bog with my Yamaha. I did have a stalling problem that was fixed when properly jetted. Took me two trips to the track to figure it out.
Cygnus
1/19/2009 10:11am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2009 10:11am
Adam43 wrote:
It is what it is. Yamahas tend to have a bit of a different "feel" than the other Jap brands. Its not better, or worse, and...
It is what it is. Yamahas tend to have a bit of a different "feel" than the other Jap brands. Its not better, or worse, and it is certainly as competitive as anything. Their bikes are very narrow feeling, tend to carry more weight on the front wheel, and would rather be steered than leaned.

It's just a different style of handling. Bubba has rode on Kawi frames his entire life so of course there is going to be a learning process. He has won 2 out of 3 already so I'd say its all going well.
This is what I see too. I ride Honda. I can jump on a zuk or kaw and feel close to home. I get on a Yamaha and I am in a different world. The Yamaha's tend to work better for taller riders also.

Post a reply to: What's up with the YZF450?

The Latest