What's this gadget?

Xracer
Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 11:26am
Anyone know what this thing is on Grant & Tomac's bikes black box on the side of the cylinder head)?

https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/03/203163/s1200_max_070117r…

|
FTB
7/3/2017 4:29am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 4:31am
Xracer wrote:
Anyone know what this thing is on Grant & Tomac's bikes black box on the side of the cylinder head)?

https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/03/203163/s1200_max_070117r…

Don't quote me, but I think it has something to do with the oil cooler. With a carbon cover.
There's an explination in one of the earlier "Pit Bits". Most likely the High Point rnd.
7/3/2017 5:25am
Backyard engineering at its finest..

The Shop

motosurf
7/3/2017 8:20am
#434 wrote:
Not really. Go look at it in person, not backyard at all.
7/3/2017 9:37am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 9:40am
#434 wrote:
motosurf wrote:
It's nicely done, no question about that. But a cooler needs airflow with the lowest air temperature possible.
So they mount it longitudinal to the airflow AND pickup hot air from the radiators!? I don't understand what they're trying to achieve.
sickboy3636
7/3/2017 10:02am
#434 wrote:
motosurf wrote:
#434 wrote:
It's nicely done, no question about that. But a cooler needs airflow with the lowest air temperature possible. So they mount it longitudinal to the airflow...
It's nicely done, no question about that. But a cooler needs airflow with the lowest air temperature possible.
So they mount it longitudinal to the airflow AND pickup hot air from the radiators!? I don't understand what they're trying to achieve.
I'm gonna assume they probably have more R&D in that one piece than you could probably believe. I sure theres been numerous tests done inside an air flow chamber that show them more than the eye could ever see. But I would bet, whatever they're trying to achieve, they probably achieved.....or it wouldn't be there.
7/3/2017 10:12am
Kawasaki has had oil coolers for awhile now, they just used to be infront of the engine I believe.. don't think they just moved it to the side because they felt like it..
bvm111
7/3/2017 10:24am

Do we have to go through this every year???
7/3/2017 10:29am
motosurf wrote:
#434 wrote:
It's nicely done, no question about that. But a cooler needs airflow with the lowest air temperature possible. So they mount it longitudinal to the airflow...
I'm gonna assume they probably have more R&D in that one piece than you could probably believe. I sure theres been numerous tests done inside an...
I'm gonna assume they probably have more R&D in that one piece than you could probably believe. I sure theres been numerous tests done inside an air flow chamber that show them more than the eye could ever see. But I would bet, whatever they're trying to achieve, they probably achieved.....or it wouldn't be there.
You're probaply right with the R&D-time, but if you go against physical principles you ain't going to gain much...

@jorgechavez: before it was mounted behind the cylinder
motosurf
7/3/2017 11:26am
#434 wrote:
I'm gonna assume they probably have more R&D in that one piece than you could probably believe. I sure theres been numerous tests done inside an...
#434 wrote:
You're probaply right with the R&D-time, but if you go against physical principles you ain't going to gain much... @jorgechavez: before it was mounted behind the...
You're probaply right with the R&D-time, but if you go against physical principles you ain't going to gain much...

@jorgechavez: before it was mounted behind the cylinder
It's been on the side for a few years now. If you'd pay attention you'd know. Just about every year someone starts this exact thread.
7/3/2017 11:41am
Alright sorry, didn't know that.
Then just tell me the benefit of this special setup and we can end this thread right now.
sickboy3636
7/3/2017 12:23pm
#434 wrote:
Alright sorry, didn't know that.
Then just tell me the benefit of this special setup and we can end this thread right now.
Or we could just end it without you knowing the benefit.....but if its really eating you up, email a Factory Kawi engineer. I'm sure they'd love to sit down and explain all the details and dynamics of their factory race bikes. I am an engineer and also build motors.......tho I can plainly tell you that theres clearly a rhyme and reason to every single piece, angle and placement of each part, theres still no way in hell me or you will figure out by looking at a picture and speculating on a forum. But to assume some hillbilly took some wood screws and plumbers tape and decided to slap that thing on the side of the cylinder at the gate to see what would happen during a race, shows you don't know much about engine building or factory race teams.
newmann
7/3/2017 12:44pm
More volume and the surface area of the aluminum cooler will dissipate heat even with minimal airflow. More airflow of course would be better, but even a little helps. Pro Circuit used to mount them directly behind the radiators.
7/3/2017 1:46pm
newmann wrote:
More volume and the surface area of the aluminum cooler will dissipate heat even with minimal airflow. More airflow of course would be better, but even...
More volume and the surface area of the aluminum cooler will dissipate heat even with minimal airflow. More airflow of course would be better, but even a little helps. Pro Circuit used to mount them directly behind the radiators.
That's what I mean. Every offroad or motocross team I've seen mounts the oil cooler behind the radiator, sometimes they combine them. So I was curious to know the reason why Kawi does it differently. Backyard engineering was a little harsh...
@sickboy: i'm not an engine builder, but an engineer and i'm doing research in aero- and thermodynamics at a german university. Therefore my interest in heat exchange.
OldYZRider1
7/3/2017 2:11pm
Engine oil temps could be pushing to 275° and above so while air through the radiators is not the coolest air to find its still probably 40-50° F cooler than the oil which maybe enough. I think oil temps are desired to be at least above waters boiling temp to evaporate off any condensation inside the engine.

Post a reply to: What's this gadget?

The Latest