Whats the Next Best state for Motocross besides California

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
2/15/2019 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2019 6:04pm
I Have seen Alabama mentioned a few times which is somewhere i had never though of and plan to look into a little more anybody have pics of from your local tracks ? What are the best tracks there?
Is the turnouts doing good?
Its interesting that some area's are thriving while others are way down, makes me think its got a lot to do with how things are run, and not so much the economy.
And in reading several threads lately it seems like off road hare scrambles and J day type races are thriving
And MX in most area's not so much ,
I would hope some track owners are paying attention, i think
It has a lot to do with people not wanting to jump as big of jumps and wanting just more natural obstacles that arent as dangerous.
ob
2/15/2019 6:34pm
ob wrote:
I would think that if you are moving to the best state besides CA for moto it has to be one you are riding moto all...
I would think that if you are moving to the best state besides CA for moto it has to be one you are riding moto all year.

And I’m not sure why people say Florida? Unless you are riding private tracks, because there isn’t a lot more. I guess if you have Tim ferry’s number or something it would be cool.
Have you ever lived in FL? The worst part is trying to decide which of the many pay tracks you want yo ride that day! Arguements...
Have you ever lived in FL? The worst part is trying to decide which of the many pay tracks you want yo ride that day! Arguements start over where to go. I lived there from 1996 to 2004 and it seemed like an MX mecca.
I have never lived there, been a few times. I don’t think there are that many good public tracks anymore. Maybe some body that has ridden there more recently than 15 years ago will tell us what they think.
bh
2/15/2019 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2019 6:49pm
I live in South Carolina. Bout 20 minutes south of Greenville and I have 6 tracks within an hour of me.

Lakeside
Travelers rest
Beaver dam
strawberry hill
motovated
The shoals

Side note there are 4 other tracks within an hour but I haven’t seen much activity from lately.

Catheys creek
Iron city
Club mole creek
Pine grove
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
2/15/2019 6:51pm
bh wrote:
I live in South Carolina. Bout 20 minutes south of Greenville and I have 6 tracks within an hour of me. Lakeside Travelers rest Beaver dam...
I live in South Carolina. Bout 20 minutes south of Greenville and I have 6 tracks within an hour of me.

Lakeside
Travelers rest
Beaver dam
strawberry hill
motovated
The shoals

Side note there are 4 other tracks within an hour but I haven’t seen much activity from lately.

Catheys creek
Iron city
Club mole creek
Pine grove
Thanks for sharing , i live in Minnesota and definitely want to move some place warmer in the next year and South Carolina is somewhere we are considering my wife has family in the Charleston area, from pictures it looks like a lot of Sand tracks is that true?
And what are the best riding months?
And are there months that are just to hot to want to ride ?
Just curious thanks

The Shop

Jimmy638
2/15/2019 8:27pm
Jimmy638 wrote:
Get a kick out of folks on here that say their state is the best when thats the only state they have ridden in or raced...
Get a kick out of folks on here that say their state is the best when thats the only state they have ridden in or raced. Wouldn't you think that question could only be answered from folks that have ridden in every state?

Hard question to answer from a hand full of people that can truly answer it. I've only raced in about twelve different states and Prefere Michigan, Ohio and Penn area.
Forty wrote:
Do you prefer these because of the track layout or the soil or what?
Like anybody else, I won or placed better there...Wink
Michigan had it's far share of Kick ass riders. But if the Comp brings the best out of you then your going to do better.
Moto520
2/15/2019 8:28pm
Moto520 wrote:
Illinois. We have so many tracks within a 3-4 hour radius of chicago that its ridiculous. Plus....winter makes the heart grow fonder
motox331 wrote:
Where do you ride at? I'm in the Elgin area and I'm always looking for new places.
joliet mx
Byron
Mt carrol
Muddy waters
Aztalan wi
Red bud
Motoland
Walnut
Ltmx (IN)
Wildcat creek
Mendota
The list goes on! Michigan tracks are amazing and very close as well. Im missing a ton but i think that we have a huge concentration of tracks
Moto520
2/15/2019 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2019 8:35pm
Moto520 wrote:
Illinois. We have so many tracks within a 3-4 hour radius of chicago that its ridiculous. Plus....winter makes the heart grow fonder
motox331 wrote:
Where do you ride at? I'm in the Elgin area and I'm always looking for new places.
Moto520 wrote:
joliet mx Byron Mt carrol Muddy waters Aztalan wi Red bud Motoland Walnut Ltmx (IN) Wildcat creek Mendota The list goes on! Michigan tracks are amazing...
joliet mx
Byron
Mt carrol
Muddy waters
Aztalan wi
Red bud
Motoland
Walnut
Ltmx (IN)
Wildcat creek
Mendota
The list goes on! Michigan tracks are amazing and very close as well. Im missing a ton but i think that we have a huge concentration of tracks
There is an indoor track in Mendota. We are 4-6 hours away from Cedar Lake arena in wisconsin which is an awesome indoor track.

We have a good race scene as well. We have a four track saturday night series and there is a race in northern illinois every weekend with good turnouts (except for some of the vet classes). The district is run tight and the tracks are safe. The competiton is higher in Michigan and the tracks are harder. I just got back from an arenacross race that runs one weekend each year. Plenty of winter riding available if you search it out.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
2/16/2019 12:53am
Forty wrote:
California isn’t number one anymore IMO. I like Washington or Oregon dirt. Colorado has some killer tracks. Hell if it wasn’t for the shortened season Minnesota...
California isn’t number one anymore IMO.

I like Washington or Oregon dirt. Colorado has some killer tracks. Hell if it wasn’t for the shortened season Minnesota would rule. The dirt here is the best I’ve ever ridden

I’d put the Pacific NW first
Lived in Oregon for two years and I hated the dirt, actually made me quit riding. I did move there from New Hampshire where the dirt is like loam.
Mx746
2/16/2019 2:12am
Nighttrain wrote:
There’s a reason Georgia keeps getting mentioned. When I moved away 12 years ago there were many, many options within 90 minute drive or less of...
There’s a reason Georgia keeps getting mentioned. When I moved away 12 years ago there were many, many options within 90 minute drive or less of our north Atlanta home. Trails and tracks.
North Atl has a few but I find myself driving several hours for the lure in Alabama, Monster and Mill Creek most notably
2/16/2019 2:49am
Come to The Netherlands? , a country with the same size as the state West Virginia. And we have around 75 tracks.
But 80% are sandtracks.
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1978th
2/16/2019 6:40am
Nothing beats jersey sand pits. But for tracks it’s the worst
Naanak wrote:
Hey man where the pits at? Laughing
Yo bro I’ll send you all the locations!! Make sure to bring all your quad friends bro
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
2/16/2019 7:13am
District 5 Pennsylvania was the shit for a long time. I guess you take a great track like Steel City off the map and it doesn't even get a good mention until page 3.
mister2dt
2/16/2019 7:14am
Shawn142 wrote:
I think you'd have a hard time matching the number of quality tracks in Texas.
I cant think of any track in Texas that has any weight behind it ?? I am spoiled and live in Michigan between Redbud and Baja...
I cant think of any track in Texas that has any weight behind it ??

I am spoiled and live in Michigan between Redbud and Baja Acres. Throw in Battle Creek MX, Portland MX, Big Air, Dutch, Bulldogs, Log Road, Martin, Twisted and Valley just to name a few.

We only get to ride from March - October but its pretty damn good. Last I knew D14 is pretty strong.
Spin a lap around Swan and you will forget where you live. Texs has tons of great tracks and some have dirt you want to put in a jar and take home. Next closest would be the red sand/ red clay mix in Alabama and Florida panhandle. Sticky and soft and ruts up like loam. Holds water for days but drains in less than a day. Crazy dirt, probably the best ive ever ridden
Tuzzo123
2/16/2019 7:48am
Uhhh........Michigan of course. Maybe not the WEATHER right now.
JWACK
2/16/2019 8:05am
Motodork wrote:
Hard to believe that no one has mentioned New Mexico or southern Colorado
New Mexico is pretty awesome for riding. I happily moved from Texas back to New Mexico just so I would have more close riding options. I load up at my house and in about 30 minutes can ride moto, off road, mountains, sand dunes and more all year long. The racing scene is coming back around as of late. We have newer track owners that are passionate about Moto so things are looking up here. Maybe not the best state for Moto but pretty dang good.
bh
2/16/2019 2:41pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Thanks for sharing , i live in Minnesota and definitely want to move some place warmer in the next year and South Carolina is somewhere we...
Thanks for sharing , i live in Minnesota and definitely want to move some place warmer in the next year and South Carolina is somewhere we are considering my wife has family in the Charleston area, from pictures it looks like a lot of Sand tracks is that true?
And what are the best riding months?
And are there months that are just to hot to want to ride ?
Just curious thanks
They only sand track in sc I have ridden is gtr in Columbia. The others I know of are clubmx and I think battery Offroad park has a track and it’s sand. As far as weather goes You can ride all year. Coldest it will usually get is high 20s. But that doesn’t happen often it’s usually mid 30s during the winter, during the summer it gets in the 90s. Best riding months are probably gonna be during the fall before it gets cold. During the summer the tracks don’t take long to get baked out. And as far as riding in the lower part of the state/Charleston I don’t think it is a good for riding as the up state. I don’t know about any race series that go to the tracks in the lower part of the state but in the Greenville area you can race woods, gp’s, mx, and ax without having to drive more than an hour and a half.
2/17/2019 12:06pm
Texas is and always will be the best state for motocross. Moving to colorado has really opened my mind on how amazing it is.
brocster
2/17/2019 2:10pm
Not a state but I would say Dallas specifically. Many quality track within a couple hours, good dirt, and no “season”. You can ride year round quite comfortably and as others have said in the “hot” months get there early. If I had to compare, Cahuilla is the closest in comparison to what most Texas tracks are. However, the track prep on Cahuilla’s best day is what Texas delivers every day at a minimum. I was spoiled in 95/6 ish to the carrot cake soil Trey prepares at SWAN. Next best would be Tom at Monster Mountain about 2 years ago. Primo!
BR8ES
2/17/2019 2:27pm
not Colorado...sux ass. New merged org and a stretched out travel sched that bizarrely omits one of the best tracks in the region leads me to believe it will be more of the same.
chewy4063
2/17/2019 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2019 2:46pm
I cant think of any track in Texas that has any weight behind it ?? I am spoiled and live in Michigan between Redbud and Baja...

I am spoiled and live in Michigan between Redbud and Baja Acres. Throw in Battle Creek MX, Portland MX, Big Air, Dutch, Bulldogs, Log Road, Martin, Twisted and Valley just to name a few.

We only get to ride from March - October but its pretty damn good. Last I knew D14 is pretty strong.
Texas has so many tracks that are worth going back to, it’s crazy. Tops for me are Swan, Cycle Ranch, Freestone, Rio Bravo and 3 palms. 3 palms has a crazy setup. Multiple MX and SX tracks.

I spent 23 out of 28 years in MA. Riding scene sucks in the north east.
navalseabee
2/18/2019 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 2:56pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I Have seen Alabama mentioned a few times which is somewhere i had never though of and plan to look into a little more anybody have...
I Have seen Alabama mentioned a few times which is somewhere i had never though of and plan to look into a little more anybody have pics of from your local tracks ? What are the best tracks there?
Is the turnouts doing good?
Its interesting that some area's are thriving while others are way down, makes me think its got a lot to do with how things are run, and not so much the economy.
And in reading several threads lately it seems like off road hare scrambles and J day type races are thriving
And MX in most area's not so much ,
I would hope some track owners are paying attention, i think
It has a lot to do with people not wanting to jump as big of jumps and wanting just more natural obstacles that arent as dangerous.
Monster Mountain is by far the best one in Alabama but heres some others that i have personally ridden.
-Crossbone MX ranch
-Atmoore
-Millcreek
-Big Springs
-Shorter
-War Eagle
-Ole Noahs
-Green Acres
-Riverside
-Phenix city
-MX 56

As far as attendance on race days there are usually 100-150 racers for mx stuff, the main Hare-scramble series brings in 250-400 depending on the race venue. There is also an Arenacross series that is pretty active through-out the state and several other big national off-road series that stop through.
navalseabee
2/18/2019 3:06pm
bh wrote:
I live in South Carolina. Bout 20 minutes south of Greenville and I have 6 tracks within an hour of me. Lakeside Travelers rest Beaver dam...

Lakeside
Travelers rest
Beaver dam
strawberry hill
motovated
The shoals

Catheys creek
Iron city
Club mole creek
Pine grove
Have you ridden The Shoals? Stu looks like hes put in a lot of work out there the tracks look sick.
bh
2/18/2019 3:39pm
Have you ridden The Shoals? Stu looks like hes put in a lot of work out there the tracks look sick.
I’ve ridden it twice. I rode a practice day and did the moto scramble gp race this past weekend. For 20 bucks I got to ride the main track, 2 corner tracks, and an arenacross track. The place is sick. The dirt is good and I had a blast. For me (2-3 years mid to last place c rider) it was the most technical track I have ever ridden but I still had a blast. It had poured down rain the night before the race and when I showed up around 7:30 there was 2 dozers and a skid steer or 2 that prepped the track and took what was going to be a complete mudder and turned it into a solid track. 10/10 track for me. The track definitely has the most equipment I’ve ever seen in one place with excavators, skid steers, dozers, what every the things are that pack stuff down, water truck, and even some kind of asphalt machine.
kage173
2/18/2019 4:27pm

Either you're a troll or don't know much about moto.

Some of the biggest pro-am money races are here in north Texas and Freestone hosts one of what (5?) AMA national amateur races. They don't have a pro race anymore because it's too hot during the day to sit and watch a race, but there's a 12 race night series for locals to race all summer long.

At Oak Hill they have a pro-level supercross track, a kids sx track, gp track, night track, mini track, and the main track. And, although it's my favorite, many people tell me that they like others more. From my house I have have at least 10 tracks of similar caliber within 1.5 hours. Not to mention private training facilities.

Over Christmas a group of like 10 families from Minnesota (?) rented out Oak Hill for a week and camped out there. How many Texas families caravanned up to Michigan to go ride over Christmas?

Red Bud is amazing, but we ride 12 months a year down here bro, so it might not be the next best state after Cali, but there's a reason you hear about Texas.

2/18/2019 5:02pm

kage173 wrote:
Either you're a troll or don't know much about moto. Some of the biggest pro-am money races are here in north Texas and Freestone hosts one...

Some of the biggest pro-am money races are here in north Texas and Freestone hosts one of what (5?) AMA national amateur races. They don't have a pro race anymore because it's too hot during the day to sit and watch a race, but there's a 12 race night series for locals to race all summer long.

At Oak Hill they have a pro-level supercross track, a kids sx track, gp track, night track, mini track, and the main track. And, although it's my favorite, many people tell me that they like others more. From my house I have have at least 10 tracks of similar caliber within 1.5 hours. Not to mention private training facilities.

Over Christmas a group of like 10 families from Minnesota (?) rented out Oak Hill for a week and camped out there. How many Texas families caravanned up to Michigan to go ride over Christmas?

Red Bud is amazing, but we ride 12 months a year down here bro, so it might not be the next best state after Cali, but there's a reason you hear about Texas.

So riding over Christmas makes Texas great for MX? Ok bro.
Jimmy638
2/18/2019 5:09pm
Belgium.
According to Decoster you are right, He said on Pings show that you have all types of dirt and terrain, thats what made him "so good wherever he went".
Indy mxer
2/18/2019 6:01pm

kage173 wrote:
Either you're a troll or don't know much about moto. Some of the biggest pro-am money races are here in north Texas and Freestone hosts one...

Wtf are you talking about?
I live in Southern Indiana. And hell yes, riding year round would be awesome! It sucks putting your bike away for 4 to 5 months every year. Luckily this year I got to spend xmas week in Florida and got a small moto fix. Lots of cool tracks there too.
zehn
2/18/2019 6:07pm
So much fail in one post. Congratulations
kage173
2/18/2019 7:26pm
Come to The Netherlands? , a country with the same size as the state West Virginia. And we have around 75 tracks.
But 80% are sandtracks.
That might be why yall are whoopin so much ass despite being a tiny country.

Arguably the two best riders from US are Carmichael and JS7. Both came from Florida and rode lots of sand growing up.

Btw what are the names of some of those tracks? I think Trunschall (?) and I know of Lommel which is close to NL.

Post a reply to: Whats the Next Best state for Motocross besides California

The Latest