What’s in your “Moto-toolbox” ?

Edited Date/Time 11/9/2017 7:10am
Hey all, recently I’ve been trying to turn my garage space into more of a “race garage”, hanging banners up, cool racing memorabilia etc, but wanted to reach out to you guys and get some input.

In my garage space I’ve been putting together a tool box with the basics and some Moto specific stuff, like chain breakers, T handles, cable lubers, spoke torque wrench, stuff like that. But what do you guys have in your tool kits that is a must have?

I’ve got all kinds of ratchets and hand tools, but what are some “must haves” for a moto tool kit?

Pictures and suggestions are welcome, cheers Cool
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/30/2017 4:54pm
8-17mm t handles, rubber hammer, flat head and Philips head screw drivers, a bunch of different sized allen key t handles, some picks, magnet, and numerous sockets for all the different bolts and for the axle nuts
dirtmike86
10/30/2017 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2017 4:59pm
All the basics you listed should be good. Its the box of spare parts that i bring thats the most important. Extra levers, rad cap, shifter, springs, bolts, tubes.oh tire spoons!
jchek779
10/30/2017 5:02pm
In addition to above, torque wrench, safety wire, safety wire pliers, spare spark plug, valve stem tool and spare valve stem inserts, and a small plastic container with some random stuff I've collected through the years from all the bikes I've owned. You never know when you'll be able to help someone out at the track and keep their day going

The Shop

KimJongUn
10/30/2017 5:39pm
This is my box, then I throw a couple of T-Handles and a can of chain lube in the top and go. If I'm driving more than an hour or so I usually bring a tote with spare parts and fluids. I keep brake and clutch levers in my gear bag... only cuz I'm always dragging my handlebar. I never tip over Woohoo

JRT812
10/30/2017 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2017 6:02pm
Used to be spark plugs, spark plug socket with ratchet, tire irons, air cartridges, and tube. If it ain’t fixed before riding I ain’t going. If it breaks before riding/while riding I’m having a good time.
Taylor415
10/30/2017 6:03pm
To add to what’s been mentioned, a bolt kit, feeler guages, digital caliper, gear jammer (homemade works too) various extensions are helpful. Picks with different bends are nice to have, have came in handy quite a bit. A telescoping magnet is also nice, saved me a couple times, haha.
10/30/2017 6:05pm
Baja no pinch tire tool to go along with the spoons. Bolt/nut kit. Torque wrench and torque specs. Masterlinks.
loftyair
10/30/2017 7:25pm
Newmann!, cable luber, and cheater bar too. A 13mm for those from Austria.
omalley
10/30/2017 7:27pm
jchek779 wrote:
In addition to above, torque wrench, safety wire, safety wire pliers, spare spark plug, valve stem tool and spare valve stem inserts, and a small plastic...
In addition to above, torque wrench, safety wire, safety wire pliers, spare spark plug, valve stem tool and spare valve stem inserts, and a small plastic container with some random stuff I've collected through the years from all the bikes I've owned. You never know when you'll be able to help someone out at the track and keep their day going
This. I have a large Rubbermaid tote with oils/chemicals, tubes, spare bolt kits, a bunch of spare parts I’ve collected, and an old but useable chain in case I break one. Over the years I’ve given a tube or other part to another rider. They usually try to pay but I just ask them to pay it forward. Being able to keep someone’s riding day going when they would’ve had to load up is payment enough.

For the OP, most stuff has been touched on. I also include a stout chain and lock. You never know when something will happen on the road, or you’ll get hurt, and need a way to try to make the bike a harder target.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
10/30/2017 7:59pm
I run a sweet fanny pack with a couple of screwdrivers in it
BAMX
10/30/2017 8:33pm
I always take this on track days. It is the smallest box that I could find with drawers. I also bring a bucket that has lubes and cleaners pus some tire irons. If I go to a race, I bring a plastic tote with spare parts and specialty tools.

tempura
10/30/2017 8:57pm
Adult size diapers
Duct tape
Handcuffs
garagedog
Fantasy
722nd
10/30/2017 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 9:30pm
Low psi air guage, hand pump, baby powder, soapy solution in a bottle, starter fluid can, impact tool, circlip pliers, patch kit.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
10/30/2017 9:39pm
Air guage , 8 to and 12 ring and open Enders ,tire levers , air valve tool, 32 and 22 ring and open Enders for axle nuts , 6 8 10 12 14 ring and open Enders , rubber mallet , screw drivers in phillps and flat head , pliers and side cutters , adjustable ploy grips , then chain lube tubes , duct tape tie wire zip tyres and a pump
mingham97
10/30/2017 9:44pm
BAMX wrote:
I always take this on track days. It is the smallest box that I could find with drawers. I also bring a bucket that has lubes...
I always take this on track days. It is the smallest box that I could find with drawers. I also bring a bucket that has lubes and cleaners pus some tire irons. If I go to a race, I bring a plastic tote with spare parts and specialty tools.

You couldn't pay me to work out of that
funktree
Fantasy
4081st
10/30/2017 10:55pm
One time I was riding with my uncle and he had a collision with another rider and jacked his ankle up pretty good. We got him back to the truck and he asked us to bring him his emergency toolbox which was under the seat of his truck. It was a little metal box with "emergency" written in big letters that contained a flask of whiskey and 100 bucks in cash.

He was a retired auto shop teacher and of course had a nice normal toolbox but I always crack up remembering that day. He got a nice buzz on and let everyone finish their day of riding, he was fine by the way just twisted an ankle and was sore a few days.

USMCMXer
10/30/2017 11:00pm
Safety wire pliers for sure. Some safety wire doesn't hurt either. Also a rubber mallet and low pressure tire gauge along with all the standard stuff.
Acidreamer
10/31/2017 3:15am
Ive got pretty much every tool and special tool to do any job on a bike. The weirdest tools i have are hex bolts with nuts on them to act as large allen heads. No store in town carries 24mm allens for supersport front axles. So i made a set that adapts to the big impact sockets.
newmann
10/31/2017 5:46am
BAMX wrote:
I always take this on track days. It is the smallest box that I could find with drawers. I also bring a bucket that has lubes...

mingham97 wrote:
What, way too many tools than needed for the job?Smile

My 2013 KTM150 came with this tool kit. I took damn near the entire bike apart with it to paint the frame. They really know how to do things right.
mingham97
10/31/2017 6:50am
BAMX wrote:

mingham97 wrote:
newmann wrote:
What, way too many tools than needed for the job?:) My 2013 KTM150 came with this tool kit. I took damn near the entire bike apart...

My 2013 KTM150 came with this tool kit. I took damn near the entire bike apart with it to paint the frame. They really know how to do things right.
Nah I'm super OCD with my tool box and can't stand not having all my sockets etc. in perfect order. It's the easiest way to work out if something is missing before you head out to the track. Nothing worse then leaving a 10mm socket/t-handle/ring spanner at home!
bigmaico
10/31/2017 7:25am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2017 7:10am
Tools
Tire irons
Air pump
Chain breaker
Open end wrench set
Sockets
Pliers
Safety wire pliers
Hammer
Allen wrenches
Flash light
Magnet
Tire guage
Spoke wrench
Screwdrivers
Crescent wrench's
Vice grips
Torque wrench
Valve core tool
T-handles
Master link pliers
Needle nose pliers
Ratchet
Spark plugs
Zip ties
Grips
Cables
Master links
Safety wire
Nuts & bolts
loc-tite
Fule line
Duct tape
Levers
Front & rear tubes
Shift lever
Clean air filter
Kill button
Wire & connections

That's just the tool box! I also have a spare box with nuts & bolts, also have a Plactic tub with spare tubes, chain lube & oil's

If you want my whole list send me a Message with your E-mail & I'll send you the PDF.

Only took me 35 years of racing to compile the list!
TeamGreen
10/31/2017 7:48am
A really good air gauge.
A really good std torque wrench and a little "light" torque wrench for small engine fasteners.
A spoke torque wrench.
An air pump w/air gauge for suspension.
Motion Pro chain-breaker
Motion Pro Cable-luber
Pro Circuit/Kowa T-Handles
The CORRECT sockets for ALL Axle, Steering stem, C-shaft Sprock's on ALL the bike in my stash (1978-2018).
Various tapes for any application.
.020 & .032 safety wire
Various magnifying lenses/inspection tools like little mirrors, magnets and scopes.
10/31/2017 8:54am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/10/31/222668/s1200_IMG_1530.jpg[/img] These are by far my favorite tools in my box

These are by far my favorite tools in my box
Me likey! What brand are those?
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
10/31/2017 9:03am
Big and small adjustable wrench

flat head screwdriver

1/4 t handle with a small metric socket set
newmann
10/31/2017 9:13am
mingham97 wrote:
newmann wrote:
What, way too many tools than needed for the job?:) My 2013 KTM150 came with this tool kit. I took damn near the entire bike apart...

mingham97 wrote:
Nah I'm super OCD with my tool box and can't stand not having all my sockets etc. in perfect order. It's the easiest way to work...
Nah I'm super OCD with my tool box and can't stand not having all my sockets etc. in perfect order. It's the easiest way to work out if something is missing before you head out to the track. Nothing worse then leaving a 10mm socket/t-handle/ring spanner at home!
Guess I should have posted the pic!

Back when we were racing out of our box trailer I had an on board compressor, work bench, vise and bench mounted tool box with everything needed for the track. That's where it all stayed along with racks of spares. Now I'm just a mess with a large and small track box both of which recently flooded. Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning, no time for any OCD of any sort here at the moment.Laughing
aspiess328
10/31/2017 9:30am
KimJongUn wrote:
This is my box, then I throw a couple of T-Handles and a can of chain lube in the top and go. If I'm driving more...
This is my box, then I throw a couple of T-Handles and a can of chain lube in the top and go. If I'm driving more than an hour or so I usually bring a tote with spare parts and fluids. I keep brake and clutch levers in my gear bag... only cuz I'm always dragging my handlebar. I never tip over Woohoo

Where did you get the foam from? I've been wanting to do the same to my toolbox drawers, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

Post a reply to: What’s in your “Moto-toolbox” ?

The Latest