What's Underneath a Supercross Track?

2/4/2019 11:23am
This is my turn for what might be a dumb question, but I honestly don't know. On a Supercross track that's built on a natural-grass baseball/football field, what is underneath the riding surface that we all see?

Here's why I ask. MLB/NFL stadiums have tremendous drainage capability, because I've seen it in action. I was at a game in Camden Yards once that was delayed by pre-game thunder storms -- HEAVY rain for a half hour or more. The infield was covered with a tarp, of course, but when the ground crew removes the tarp, they dump all the run-off into shallow right field. The water was ankle deep in the outfield, making it 100% unplayable. Five minutes later -- with the drainage system running -- you couldn't even tell it had ever rained. Very impressive.

So is there a plastic layer under all that motocross dirt that protects the playing surface but nullifies the drainage? I understand that the drainage system can't dry mud, but the amount of deep standing water would be sucked away if the drainage system were in effect.

Thanks.
|
kb228
2/4/2019 11:25am
I believe theres both plywood and some kind of plastic tarp.

Post a reply to: What's Underneath a Supercross Track?

The Latest