What Does Honda Do Now??

reynardfan1
Fantasy
3676th
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 1:22pm
Serious question. Is it better for Honda to park the 94 and run a semi all year for 14?

Or is it financially/marketing better to grab a fill on rider...?

If it's worth the risk... do you grab 7 off the couch or do you play it smart/safe and pull up someone from a B team?

Anyone know what the industry insiders use to weigh this decision?
|
twotwosix
1/23/2017 8:52am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 8:54am
It depends on whether or not they HAVE to have 2 bikes out on the track. If they do, I would imagine Brayton or Norren gets the call up quickly.
Bidirella
1/23/2017 8:53am
I think Wilson phone will be ringing this or next week..
twotwosix
1/23/2017 8:54am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 8:56am
Bidirella wrote:
I think Wilson phone will be ringing this or next week..
I doubt that with it being Honda, but who knows.

Also, I would wager a bet that James Stewart's phone has not and will not be ringing, contrary to everyone saying so.
RG1
1/23/2017 8:56am
I don't think they need to get a fill in, being a full factory effort. But if Roczen is done for '17, which is definitely a possibility, they might feel that a whole year is a long time to go with just 1 rider. Brayton would probably be a good fit for SX, but he doesn't want to do outdoors, so maybe Deano will be a good fit

The Shop

Dtat720
1/23/2017 8:57am
twotwosix wrote:
It depends on whether or not they HAVE to have 2 bikes out on the track. If they do, I would imagine Brayton or Norren gets...
It depends on whether or not they HAVE to have 2 bikes out on the track. If they do, I would imagine Brayton or Norren gets the call up quickly.
I see Brayton over Noren, Brayton is on an HRC 17 model. But, Honda does like Noren and he gave them great results last time he filled in. Either one would be a solid fit and give the results Honda wants.
Mr. Info
1/23/2017 9:00am
It has been Honda's past practice to bring in a fill in rider. Braydon is receiving Honda assistance and the first candidate.
reynardfan1
Fantasy
3676th
Does anyone think that Malcolm's history with Honda could hurt/help his chances? He gave Honda a lites title...and is familiar with the Honda

Performance based contract?

I think Wilson is the best bet for the price tag ...but mookie is more available...plus James could step in to mookies situation since it's rolling now.
twotwosix
Dtat720 wrote:
I see Brayton over Noren, Brayton is on an HRC 17 model. But, Honda does like Noren and he gave them great results last time he...
I see Brayton over Noren, Brayton is on an HRC 17 model. But, Honda does like Noren and he gave them great results last time he filled in. Either one would be a solid fit and give the results Honda wants.
I have been pretty impressed with Norren making the 450 mains on his 250f.
twotwosix
1/23/2017 9:03am
Does anyone think that Malcolm's history with Honda could hurt/help his chances? He gave Honda a lites title...and is familiar with the Honda Performance based contract...
Does anyone think that Malcolm's history with Honda could hurt/help his chances? He gave Honda a lites title...and is familiar with the Honda

Performance based contract?

I think Wilson is the best bet for the price tag ...but mookie is more available...plus James could step in to mookies situation since it's rolling now.
I think Mookie is in too deep at this point, but who knows. He also stated he would take a fill in ride if it had a future for Outdoors and beyond. Also, I think Mookie is probably not too happy with Honda. I know it's probably his fault the Honda deal didn't happen and we don't know the full story there, but at the end of the day, he won them a title and then watched A1 from behind a TV.
1/23/2017 9:05am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 9:06am
Hard for me to imagine Stewart riding on the Honda, but I can't say it is out of the question by any means. I do feel that Brayton or Noren would have a better chance at being moved onto the HRC team as a fill-in simply due to the fact that they already are Honda supported riders. Seeing Dean on a factory ride would make everyone happy.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/23/2017 9:06am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 9:08am
Serious question. Is it better for Honda to park the 94 and run a semi all year for 14? Or is it financially/marketing better to grab...
Serious question. Is it better for Honda to park the 94 and run a semi all year for 14?

Or is it financially/marketing better to grab a fill on rider...?

If it's worth the risk... do you grab 7 off the couch or do you play it smart/safe and pull up someone from a B team?

Anyone know what the industry insiders use to weigh this decision?
Multiple ways to look at it.

One results currently and the expected results once they move to your bike.

Familiarity with your bike or team.

Financial investment into said rider over the needed period of time.

Required time to fill-in.

Interested rider's personal contracts.

Rider's past history working with teams and reputation.

Can they adjust quickly...

Quite a few ways to look at it...

Here's my view for HRC's situation: A fill-in rider ideally should be in mains and hopefully top ten consistently and not be spending time on the ground (Not JS...). They've just had their marque rider succumb to a major crash on a new bike, they don't need criticism on the bike with another person crashing it.

Secondly, it sounds like this might be a full-year deal because of the level of Ken's injury.

Rider's available and reasons they may or may not:

Justin Brayton:
Positive - Outside of the HRC team, Brayton is the only top guy with time on a 2017 model bike, only one they're supporting with that bike, and he's rode for Honda before.
Negative - His results as of late haven't been the best, he's already got a ride for the full year riding a Honda, so the bike is out there no matter what, and he wasn't planning on racing outdoors anymore.

Dean Wilson:
Positive - He's out there racing and has gotten one spot better each weekend, finishing 11th this last weekend. He has no contracts holding him off riding the bike and is currently on another brand, so you wouldn't be moving one Honda rider off a bike to another. If Dean doesn't have a ride soon, he won't be racing the rest of Supercross anyhow, he's hungry. Dean has a good reputation from past teams.
Negative - He hasn't ridden a Honda as a professional or worked with the team, hasn't cracked the top ten yet in 2017, has had some injury-filled past seasons. Is aiming for a Yamaha ride come outdoors.

Freddy Noren:
Positive - He's worked with the HRC team for multiple years now as a fill-in. Personal sponsor contracts don't conflict and I believe he's rode the 17 before. Outdoors, he can put in solid work week-in and week-out.
Negative - Freddy has a contract with a team for 250 East coast, he's only been riding a 250 as of late, he's never really been a Supercross guy or raced the 450 in Supercross. He's not top ten material indoors at his current state.

Malcolm Stewart:
Positive - Raw speed and talent, possible higher ceiling than the others on this list for 2017. Personal sponsors don't conflict. Malcolm's personal reputation is good. Won a 250 title for Honda.
Negative - It sounds like he's committed to his new personal team for all of Supercross and more than likely can't leave after only one race with the investments made. Malcolm has never raced this much in a season, (450 indoors and outdoors). His first race back he crashed and faded back in the standings. Family reputation isn't as good as his personal one.

Andrew Short:
Positive - Actually works for Honda and has spent more time than anyone other than Ken and Cole on the new bike in full works trim. Andrew can still go fast in Supercross. No sponsor conflicts or contract issues.
Negatives - He hasn't been training to race, has "retired", and outdoors might be questionable in his wants for the year.

If the deal is really going to be a full-year fill-in, I would like to see it go to Dean Wilson. He doesn't have the ride right now and wouldn't race otherwise after round five.

I know many will point towards Brayton, but that adds a Honda to their truck and eliminates another from the field (I don't think MCR can place anyone on his 17s). I'm actually seeing this as less likely the more I think about it.

Andrew Short...Andrew is getting paid to do cool shit and already has a lot on his plate this year.

For Malcolm to switch, I'd say his brother would have to take his ride over...

As for James getting the HRC ride, just no... Possible big upside, but way too much risk involved. Fill-in rides aren't about taking risks for a huge upswing, they're about placing the bike in there consistently every weekend to please everyone involved.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/23/2017 9:07am
Dtat720 wrote:
I see Brayton over Noren, Brayton is on an HRC 17 model. But, Honda does like Noren and he gave them great results last time he...
Brayton is not on a HRC 17 model, he's on a MotoConcepts 17 bike with works suspension.
JWACK
1/23/2017 9:08am
Just wait and hope Kens arm heals up enough to compete at his high level.
twotwosix
1/23/2017 9:15am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 9:25am
Great points ML. Two highlights from your post:

James could take Malcolm's setup and Malcolm could go to Honda. (Hadn't though about that.)

SHORTY! Short has Kenny's EXACT, full factory everything bike in his garage right now. Man, I would love to see Andrew come back out.
twotwosix
1/23/2017 9:16am
ML512 wrote:
Brayton is not on a HRC 17 model, he's on a MotoConcepts 17 bike with works suspension.
Brayton is on Showa, HRC is on KYB.
Skidaddle
1/23/2017 9:17am
Find 3 Million for Villopoto to wake up and stop eating pizza.
Doesn't really matter.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/23/2017 9:17am
twotwosix wrote:
Great points ML. Two highlights from your post: James could take Malcolm's setup and Malcolm could go to Honda. (Hadn't though about that.) SHORTY! Short has...

James could take Malcolm's setup and Malcolm could go to Honda. (Hadn't though about that.)

SHORTY! Short has Kenny's EXACT, full factory everything bike in his garage right now. Man, I would love to see Andrew come back out.
Biggest thing, that would take James stepping up right now to do it, not at Daytona... And that's if Honda is interested in Malcolm and the people supporting Malcolm are cool with the jump already. If you really dig into it, there's a lot of what ifs in his position compared to some of the other riders on this list.
Motofinne
1/23/2017 9:20am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 9:29am
I think Wilson seems like the most logical guy to fill in for Roczen. Unless he has been working on a full time Factory Yamaha deal for outdoors on Chads bike, that might make it a bit more difficult for him to jump the Yamaha ship?
norcal racer
1/23/2017 9:21am
Not going to happen. But it would be fun to watch J Mart have that ride outdoors
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/23/2017 9:22am
Not going to happen. But it would be fun to watch J Mart have that ride outdoors
J-Mart is Honda's best shot at a 250 outdoor title this year, they won't give up that opportunity.
mauidex
1/23/2017 9:31am
Skidaddle wrote:
Find 3 Million for Villopoto to wake up and stop eating pizza.
Doesn't really matter.
WhistlingWhistlingWhistlingWhistlingWhistlingWhistlingWhistlingWhistlingWhistlingWhistlingWhistling
TeamGreen
1/23/2017 9:33am
Andrew Short:
Positive - Actually works for Honda and has spent more time than anyone other than Ken and Cole on the new bike in full works trim. Andrew can still go fast in Supercross. No sponsor conflicts or contract issues.
Negatives - He hasn't been training to race, has "retired", and outdoors might be questionable in his wants for the year.

Andrew Short...Andrew is getting paid to do cool shit and already has a lot on his plate this year.

I made a few funny-suggestions about this, yesterday, but...

He's very dedicated to his new job(s) and he did "retire" after very serious and thoughtful consideration. Also, he had a coupl'a big ones (one in particular) that he was probably reminded of when watching Ken's fall on Saturday-night. He's got a family and a wife (that I'm pretty sure won't 'sign-off' on this): so, what I'm saying is...he's got a life...

Here's the weird part: it sounds like he can still shred a lap. As in Legit Speed. Isn't it always like that? A guy retires and goes and does some testing and throws down laps that has everyone scratching their head. Also, his starts...
The guy is magic on the new Honda.

Any-hoo...

My top candidates are Deano and Mookie. I think Deano working with Andrew would be a really good thing.
I think Mookie getting back on Honda would be smart for Honda. Besides, his Suzuki has more in common with the new Honda than his "old Honda" did.
Dtat720
1/23/2017 9:34am
Dtat720 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
I thought he was getting HRC help with the bike. Good to know. I can see where Honda would not want to make a lateral move with him. Makes sense. I can see Noren making the move, Honda likes him and he loves Honda. Wilson would be perfect, but that is a gamble having never ridden a Honda. Quite the conundrum lol
mx617
1/23/2017 9:38am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 9:40am
Mr. Info wrote:
It has been Honda's past practice to bring in a fill in rider. Braydon is receiving Honda assistance and the first candidate.
Isn't Brayton already on a factory bike under the mcr tent? So that wouldn't really be adding a fill in, just moving tents. That's why I'd think it's noren over Brayton.

Edit: my bad, should have read the whole thread before replying.
kkawboy14
1/23/2017 9:39am
Malcolm's deal can be bought out!

What if they got both Stewart's? Malcolm now and James at Daytona, for 1 smoking deal. Teams really need 3 riders now to keep 2.
MP261
1/23/2017 9:42am
Not sure what the time line is on Barcia's injury but Weimer would be a great fill-in guy for that role as well.
jeffro503
1/23/2017 9:45am
twotwosix wrote:
Great points ML. Two highlights from your post: James could take Malcolm's setup and Malcolm could go to Honda. (Hadn't though about that.) SHORTY! Short has...

I actually dig that idea. Solves James' bike issues ( as not having one ) and Malcolm has already been on a Honda. But I'd be really happy to see Dean get the Honda ride as well. Actually Dean kinda makes more sense now that I think about it , because Malcolm just put a bunch of money into that rig and team stuff he has going on. Would be a shame shutting it down after only one race.
ruy
1/23/2017 9:50am
JS7
Rowlands
1/23/2017 9:53am
No idea where this game from...

Perhaps somebody could educate me

Post a reply to: What Does Honda Do Now??

The Latest