What's Happening to our Sport?

A couple things lately have me wondering where the sport of professional dirt bike riders is heading. Yes, I worded it like that on purpose, this isn't specific to SX, MX or XC.

Recently, Dirt Buzz Editor Dale Spangler , wrote a great OP-ED piece talking about the censorship of personality that is growing rapidly. We hear Steve Matthes commented regularly on how much it sucks that riders just spew off a list of sponsors from a pit board. Dale expands on this even more, bringing up some new points.

"Personality and style sell product. Okay, race wins help too, but race wins without personality and style are a flatline. Ridiculous sponsor obligations have resulted in boring riders with padlocks on their personalities."

Dirt Buzz Post

This past weekend, I attended a MTB Enduro. Sure, this style of racing has been going on for years in the dirt bike world, but who cares. This event was EPIC! Friday was pre-riding, Sat and Sunday were race days. Tupps Brewery sponsored the event so beer was flowing every evening. There was no hiding it, people weren't trying ot hush up those who wanted to drink. They treated us all like adults. We could make asses of ourselves or have two beers to get our funk on.

I chatted with a few of the Pro's about having a beer or two after pre-riding or the race and they shook it off. "It's only a beer" is something I heard more times than not. The energy and vibes at this MTB Enduro were awesome. I was glad I attended and will probably attend more of these events. Even the offroad scene feels stagnant and censored, which sucks!

More from the Enduro

Any who, I hope this stirs the pot. I hope we discuss the shit out of this subject. It sucks to listen to stale podium speeches and look up to boring, plain jane racers. I want my kids to learn to be themselves by acting out their inner child, not suppressing it for those who pay them.

I'm going to get my hair cut. I look like shit. Other side of the coin though, my mustache is on point today.
|
kkawboy14
5/25/2017 9:06am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 9:09am
Wins without personality is why tennis is where it is.

Golf is just a boring 8 mile walk without guys like Ricky Fowler.

Cover sponsors with personality:
Dude.....my new dunlops are why I got that holeshot, I pity the guy who was behind me because those things were digging up ruts you could plant potatoes in! HOT? Please.....my TLD vented and Bell helmet Breath like a CPAP machine on a 400 pound sleep apnea pizza eatin big gulp drinking college kid......
5/25/2017 9:07am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Wins without personality is why tennis is where it is. Golf is just a boring 8 mile walk without guys like Ricky Fowler. Cover sponsors with...
Wins without personality is why tennis is where it is.

Golf is just a boring 8 mile walk without guys like Ricky Fowler.

Cover sponsors with personality:
Dude.....my new dunlops are why I got that holeshot, I pity the guy who was behind me because those things were digging up ruts you could plant potatoes in! HOT? Please.....my TLD vented and Bell helmet Breath like a CPAP machine on a 400 pound sleep apnea pizza eatin big gulp drinking college kid......
You sir need to write more podium speeches!
ttugrad1793
5/25/2017 9:14am
pffffffft.

When we DO get an interview with personality (cough - SEELY - cough) the censors on this site nuke it.
Xeno
5/25/2017 9:22am
I will take mentions on social media over mentions in podium speeches all day.

The Shop

kkawboy14
5/25/2017 9:26am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 9:27am
pffffffft.

When we DO get an interview with personality (cough - SEELY - cough) the censors on this site nuke it.
This site and others don't want any bashing of industry anything/anyone.
It's typical of a failure to see the realities of a given industry and a failure to recognize that the customers who speak the loudest are typicaly your best customers. They are the ones who love the product the most and fear it's steady demise. Instead of addressing the issues most people would rather sweep it all under a rug, right up until their lack of change and progress result in future Ringling Brothers Circuses closing their doors.

So what's left is don't worry about it, have fun and only give interviews with tons of personality and act like nothing's wrong......obviously it's what "they" want. (It's up to the individual to determine who "they" are)
brewrabb
5/25/2017 9:41am
ET walks up to the podium, takes a dip of Cope, guzzles a Coors and thanks Donald Trump for making 'merica great again!! Hmmmm!!
westeast
Fantasy
5th
5/25/2017 9:43am
I'm not super in the know when it comes to the SX & MX world, but in general most of the censorship of personalities these days is caused by over the top political correctness. I'd hardly point to the mountain bike world as a good example of what SX/MX should become. The mtb world has too strong of a tie going with beer. The mtb magazines are full of cuss words. When Aaron Gwin (one of the top downhill mountain bikers currently) gives thanks to God in an interview he catches tons of flack in the online comments. MTB is a different world and I'd hate to see SX/MX become what mtb is.
RhinoRider
5/25/2017 9:46am
If I was Jenny/Ms.Supie/Whoever, and I asked " How were the track conditions?", and they start rattling sponsors as the answer, I'd cut the mic and go to the next guy.

Before I go on a 100% truthful rant, I'll just mention that 99% of these guys interviews are straight shit and fake as F. And extremely cringeworthy.

Especially when they plug the WRONG SPONSOR ON AIR.

"I'd like to thank Leatt" Wears Atlas. DUFUQ?

5/25/2017 9:55am
Personality is why I like Kenny and 722/723 so much. You just can't teach/train personality.

Same thing is happpening in NASCAR. Ego and personality are slowly being filtered out. Dale SR would laugh at the current under 30 drivers.
mauidex
5/25/2017 10:01am
yep...........moto needs more clint bowyers!!!
skypig
5/25/2017 10:05am
I thought this thread was going to be about all the kids that have never washed a bike, let alone worked on it.

Being an atheist, it always strikes me as amusing when "the lord above" gets a mention between the bike brand and the tire brand. Guess there has to be a hierarchy

They call themselves professional, yet don't get kkawiboy14 to write their podium speeches- rank amateurs!
mxpro252
5/25/2017 10:12am
Your point very well could be another reason for things seeming like they’re dying down a bit.

Personality and drama sell and there is only so much a win will get you. Look at Conor McGregor, he was drawing some of the biggest audiences even before he won a title almost entirely because of his mouth, not wins.

Being nice and scripted is fine to a point, but nerfing society so nobody gets offended or really has any feelings anymore hasn’t worked out very well in the past and we might be in early stages of something similar happening here.
BobPA
5/25/2017 10:24am
westeast wrote:
I'm not super in the know when it comes to the SX & MX world, but in general most of the censorship of personalities these days...
I'm not super in the know when it comes to the SX & MX world, but in general most of the censorship of personalities these days is caused by over the top political correctness. I'd hardly point to the mountain bike world as a good example of what SX/MX should become. The mtb world has too strong of a tie going with beer. The mtb magazines are full of cuss words. When Aaron Gwin (one of the top downhill mountain bikers currently) gives thanks to God in an interview he catches tons of flack in the online comments. MTB is a different world and I'd hate to see SX/MX become what mtb is.
A bunch of beer snobs and yuppies who cannot even set their chain tension?
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/25/2017 10:30am
westeast wrote:
I'm not super in the know when it comes to the SX & MX world, but in general most of the censorship of personalities these days...
BobPA wrote:
A bunch of beer snobs and yuppies who cannot even set their chain tension?
Until you can drive up to the local coffee shop or brewery with your pristine KTM perched atop the roofrack of your Subaru, moto will not be mtb.
cameron96
5/25/2017 10:35am
Someone have the video where Herlings comes off the track and says he woulda won the fucking Moto if that stupid guy, lol idk can't remember
Steadman
5/25/2017 10:42am
I appreciate the level of professionalism this sport has achieved over the years but I certainly do miss the days of riders just being themselves, especially on the podium. I hardly ever watch podium interviews anymore because they are normally so dry and corporate. The level of overall censorship has made thing a tad boring.
crowe176
5/25/2017 10:45am
More riders from oversea's. If you want to change the sport, bring more personality into it. Roczen, Reed, Langston are the kind of guys that will give you what you want, more so than a god fearing farm boy.

IMO, MX is a family sport, with a majority participants coming from a religious background in the US. MX fans in general are a lot different than the casual SX fan.

MTB, that is a world apart from MX/SX. It's like comparing 90's snowboarders to skiers. Literally two different cultures.

As far as Nascar is concerned, who cares... Shit's ghey.

I hate when people talk about wanting to grow the sport just like Nascar. We don't need to grow it. It's just fine. Tracks are packed every weekend where I live. Maybe a little change here and there to cater to the ones who define MX..

Bottom line, everyone wants a piece without getting their feelings hurt.
Walter
5/25/2017 10:46am
Same thing has been going on in NASCAR for years. They are taught to do it.

The Indy car guys seem more real and relaxed in interviews. Same with the MotoAmerica and Moto GP riders
SKlein
5/25/2017 11:21am
skypig wrote:
I thought this thread was going to be about all the kids that have never washed a bike, let alone worked on it. Being an atheist...
I thought this thread was going to be about all the kids that have never washed a bike, let alone worked on it.

Being an atheist, it always strikes me as amusing when "the lord above" gets a mention between the bike brand and the tire brand. Guess there has to be a hierarchy

They call themselves professional, yet don't get kkawiboy14 to write their podium speeches- rank amateurs!
I suppose that's one way to spin a decent discussion into a religious debate, nice.
RhinoRider
5/25/2017 11:48am
cameron96 wrote:
Someone have the video where Herlings comes off the track and says he woulda won the fucking Moto if that stupid guy, lol idk can't remember
He calls someone a fucking twat!

early
Fantasy
2212th
5/25/2017 11:53am
skypig wrote:
I thought this thread was going to be about all the kids that have never washed a bike, let alone worked on it. Being an atheist...

SKlein wrote:
I suppose that's one way to spin a decent discussion into a religious debate, nice.
All part of Gods plan.
crc245
5/25/2017 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 12:08pm
cameron96 wrote:
RhinoRider wrote:
He calls someone a fucking twat!

1) Love the unscripted, unedited, raw emotion (even if it's a bit over the top and a young man's post-race vent)...
2) Is this part of the reason there aren't any podium interviews in MXGP/MXGP2? Having watched a few of the broadcasts, can't help but feel there's a lack of rider personality conveyed by simply standing on a stage being handed an award...
3) Tangent, but hopefully relevant: Where'd the Travis Preston like interviews go?! And KW14? And early JS7?

By the way, great post woodybepierced
RhinoRider
5/25/2017 12:02pm
skypig wrote:

SKlein wrote:
early wrote:
All part of Gods plan.
Check out the caption for the Plons photo gallery

http://mxworld.be/gallery/1046/11#menu
5/25/2017 12:15pm
In one of the countless threads bashing Malcolm, I posted this:

Lots of jokes, criticism and BS, yet the sport is seriously lacking personalities that anyone actually cares about. Mainstream cable won't carry the races, people are turning away from the sport in droves, people are bored with the product, and one of the personalities that fans actually care about isn't racing. Ya, real funny.
There'll be 40 vitards watching the races on their over-priced NBC apps, while the rest of the world moves on."

This forum is every bit a part of the problem as anything else.
Swann
5/25/2017 12:31pm
There are plenty of other, more appropriate times and places for a professional athlete to put their raw personality on display. Immediately after a race, when they are still on the clock, they have a duty and obligation to mention and thank their sponsors.

Most professional motocross athletes are void of anything close to a charismatic personality otherwise they would be able to make even the most boring post-race interview a little more interesting.

The guys with personality do backflips.
RhinoRider
5/25/2017 1:16pm
We need a Connor McGregor
Why? So we can turn it into an even more low rent debacle that real sponsors wont go near?

Real money won't come anywhere near this sport other than energy drinks. And even that isn't getting even close to the money other sports get.

We need more Nicky Haydens, Cooper Webbs, Kimi Raikonnens.

1 Top F1 team gets more sponsorship dollars than this whole sport combined.
Rowlands
5/25/2017 1:49pm
Listen, the grass is always greener on the other side. Americans seem to just reel off sponsors and there interviews suck where as the Euro guys seem to have the perfect balance between personality and professionalism. A lot of moto action is done on the track and has nothing to do with the riders personality off the track so you cannot compare it to sports like MMA where part of the enjoyment of watching it is the trash talk and clash of personality's. Moto personality's suit the sport to some degree but of course as with everything some are better than others and Americans unfortunately for you guys seem to be boring.

Watch some Dirt shark if you want some more emotion in interviews.
Johnny Depp
5/25/2017 1:49pm
Deceiving thread title Chicken Little. "The Sky is Falling" is a bit much for debating interviews.

Post a reply to: What's Happening to our Sport?

The Latest