What would you do?

agn5008
Fantasy
317th
Edited Date/Time 6/25/2021 8:36pm
I put a deposit down on a 2022 KTM 300 XC at a certain dealership. I was told the bike would be here in June so I made the mistake of selling my bike a few weeks ago (yes, my mistake and I know this so please let’s not harp on it and move on) so now obviously it’s the end of June and still no bike. I called the dealer today and they tell me they don’t receive shipping updates and the bikes just arrive when they arrive. Is this a lie? I find it extremely hard to believe that KTM doesn’t provide a shipping confirmation/number for each order. I’m going to be pretty angry if they’re lying-I’d much rather have a dealer just tell me the truth and say the bike hasn’t shipped and they have no idea when it will then lie to me about it. Anyways, I’m paying $10,000 cash OTD for the KTM.

So I found a new (leftover) 2021 Husqvarna TX 300 for sale a few hours away. The problem I have is that it’s a 2021 and the dealer wants $10,450 plus tax for the bike. I’ll essentially be paying upwards of $11,000 for the Husky. That’s almost $1000 more for a bike that’s a year older. Obviously that isn’t ideal and I hate to even consider it but I know the bikes are essentially the same from 2021 to 2022.

To make things worse, I have a race scheduled in mid July that I’ve been signed up for 2 years now. I have to get a bike ASAP, get it set up and get some seat time ASAP.

So here’s my hypothetical question. Would you:
1. Take my chances and wait out for the KTM. Chance not having the bike for the race (which isn’t the complete end of the world. I can borrow my dads bike for the race if I absolutely have to)

2. Offer $10,000 cash OTD for the 2021 Husky (which is in a different state so I’ll pay taxes when I return so don’t factor that in.) so essentially I’d be asking the husky dealer to take another $450 off the MSRP (or get rid of the inflated $650 set up fee they’re charging) so that I can pay the same price for the 2021 Husky as the 2022 KTM.

What are your opinions?
|
183Matt
Fantasy
1401st
6/25/2021 7:18am
That the same story I’ve heard from my friend who is a KTM, Husky, GG dealer about delivery dates so I think they are being pretty truthful. Borrow your dads bike and race it. In this market I don’t think the other dealer will take your offer on the Husky.
6/25/2021 7:25am
The bikes not a year older if it's new!! New bike is a new bike!
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 7:27am
183Matt wrote:
That the same story I’ve heard from my friend who is a KTM, Husky, GG dealer about delivery dates so I think they are being pretty...
That the same story I’ve heard from my friend who is a KTM, Husky, GG dealer about delivery dates so I think they are being pretty truthful. Borrow your dads bike and race it. In this market I don’t think the other dealer will take your offer on the Husky.
You would think, but they’ve had the Husky since at least April because I made them an offer back then. It’s been 2 months now and the 2022s “should” be rolling out at some point here. I feel like it’s not unfair of me to ask to pay the same for a 2021 as what I’m paying for the 2022.
MxRewind
6/25/2021 7:28am
As a Salesman at a KTM dealership. KTM gives us an estimate but not an exact date. And sometimes that’s inaccurate. Also for anyone looking for a FE of any KTM they also don’t tell us which bike being sent is a FE. A 450sxf FE shows up as a normal 450sxf on our order sheet. So asking a dealer when they are expecting one is useless as it could be any one of the bikes that is being sent to us. It’s a surprise to us.

The Shop

agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 7:29am
Joshracing wrote:
The bikes not a year older if it's new!! New bike is a new bike!
It’s a year older model no matter what way you look at it. I’m not asking to get the 2021 cheaper. I’m just asking to pay the same price. The 2022s went up a couple hundred MSRP too, so with that factored in I don’t see why the husky dealer wouldn’t knock a couple hundred off their quote and get me on level with the KTM dealer.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 7:30am
MxRewind wrote:
As a Salesman at a KTM dealership. KTM gives us an estimate but not an exact date. And sometimes that’s inaccurate. Also for anyone looking for...
As a Salesman at a KTM dealership. KTM gives us an estimate but not an exact date. And sometimes that’s inaccurate. Also for anyone looking for a FE of any KTM they also don’t tell us which bike being sent is a FE. A 450sxf FE shows up as a normal 450sxf on our order sheet. So asking a dealer when they are expecting one is useless as it could be any one of the bikes that is being sent to us. It’s a surprise to us.
Thank you that’s great info. It makes me feel better that they were being truthful. It’s just weird because I’ve been on a few forums where guys have listed a shipment date they got.
drivrswntd
6/25/2021 8:06am
My local dealer has no idea when bikes are actually shipping or showing up. The only clue they get is they are invoiced for a bike when it ships and then it usually will show up to them about a week after that. That is the only heads up they get. I was informed yesterday they were invoiced for a bike we are waiting for and that it should be here some time next week.
Johnny Depp
6/25/2021 8:13am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2021 8:13am
Buy a Beta again. TPI is over rated.
Brock183
6/25/2021 8:24am
As someone that is also dealing with stock issues at the moment due to global shortages and the pandemic.

The dealer would have zero reason to lie about this and they would MUCH rather get the bike in and out to you as soon as they can as they probably have a huge list of back orders in their system they want to get out.
I've been getting told all sorts of timeframes at the moment by manufacturers and none of them are able to stick them, because of reasons out of their control.

I'd just wait it out and be nice to your dealer, you catch more flies with honey and they are much more likely to go the extra mile for you if you're nice to them.
Then just hope it comes sooner rather than later.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/25/2021 8:39am
Make the offer on the Husky and if the dealer accepts, buy it. If not, run your dad's bike if you have to. Who knows? You may end up getting your KTM just in time anyway.
Dealers do not get really straight-up delivery dates. The shippers simply have too many stops and too many variables to make a highly accurate prediction. Remember, these are shipping from a warehouse a long way from you. (Maybe only a few warehouses in the US - or even just one! I'm not sure with KTM.)
yak651
Fantasy
214th
6/25/2021 8:39am
Have you let the dealer know the situation you are in with the upcoming race? If it's someone you have a relationship with maybe they have a demo or personal bike they would let you use or rent for the race "in case" your bike doesn't show up in time. I know it's a seller's market but you would think they would try to do something to keep you in their good graces (knowing its actually out of their control) since you have a down payment with them.
Moto88
6/25/2021 8:40am
Once the 22 is available you’d probably wish you waited, especially since you can use your dads bike.
GabeM
6/25/2021 8:45am
I'd borrow your dad's bike, and wait it out, could be tomorrow. Option 2 would be to buy both and then sell whichever one you don't want or see if your dad would like to upgrade.
LoudLove
6/25/2021 8:52am
If you negotiated $10K OTD on a ‘22, that dealer may be happy to let you out of the agreement! Here in Texas that same bike is $12K+, no questions asked. Two grand covers a lot of expenses.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 8:58am
0% chance of that happening. The beta 450 I had was the biggest piece of garbage I’ve ever owned. That bike was literally the reason I stopped riding for a few years. I thought I hated dirt bikes after having that thing.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 9:02am
yak651 wrote:
Have you let the dealer know the situation you are in with the upcoming race? If it's someone you have a relationship with maybe they have...
Have you let the dealer know the situation you are in with the upcoming race? If it's someone you have a relationship with maybe they have a demo or personal bike they would let you use or rent for the race "in case" your bike doesn't show up in time. I know it's a seller's market but you would think they would try to do something to keep you in their good graces (knowing its actually out of their control) since you have a down payment with them.
They know the situation. Great idea, but I would probably be more comfortable on my dads bike after riding it for a month. His bike is a 125, which I’m not quite as fast on, but I’ll be ok if it comes to that. My main concern is this bike not coming in for another month or so. I live in PA so we don’t exactly have a year round riding climate. It sure is gonna suck not being able to ride most of the summer.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 9:04am
LoudLove wrote:
If you negotiated $10K OTD on a ‘22, that dealer may be happy to let you out of the agreement! Here in Texas that same bike...
If you negotiated $10K OTD on a ‘22, that dealer may be happy to let you out of the agreement! Here in Texas that same bike is $12K+, no questions asked. Two grand covers a lot of expenses.
The dealer seems to be a no nonsense type of guy. He said he’s selling the bikes at the same price as they were pre covid. His philosophy is why should he make money off of a pandemic.

Almost every other dealer I got a quote from was around $12-12,500.
Phil109
6/25/2021 9:14am
Ride your dads 125 and have a blast until your 2022 comes in. No way in hell I dish out more for a 2021 that’s not even the brand I wanted.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 9:19am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2021 9:19am
Phil109 wrote:
Ride your dads 125 and have a blast until your 2022 comes in. No way in hell I dish out more for a 2021 that’s not...
Ride your dads 125 and have a blast until your 2022 comes in. No way in hell I dish out more for a 2021 that’s not even the brand I wanted.
I don’t care whether it’s orange or yellow. Literally the only reason I went orange is because my 7 year old has a KTM and he said it’d be nice to match each other 🤷‍♂️

And no, dishing out more isn’t even an option. I wouldn’t take the husky if I couldn’t get it for $10k OTD.
LoudLove
6/25/2021 9:23am
Phil109 wrote:
Ride your dads 125 and have a blast until your 2022 comes in. No way in hell I dish out more for a 2021 that’s not...
An unintended side effect of riding the 125 could be faster laps times on the 300. 125s require a more aggressive approach, and that will likely carry over once the 300 hits your garage. (It’s not unheard of for guys to spin practice laps on a small bore, then jump to the big bike for the actual race.)
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 9:28am
Phil109 wrote:
LoudLove wrote:
An unintended side effect of riding the 125 could be faster laps times on the 300. 125s require a more aggressive approach, and that will likely...
An unintended side effect of riding the 125 could be faster laps times on the 300. 125s require a more aggressive approach, and that will likely carry over once the 300 hits your garage. (It’s not unheard of for guys to spin practice laps on a small bore, then jump to the big bike for the actual race.)
Right. I’ve got 30 years of riding experience- a lot on a 125. I’m typically in the running for winning vet A classes about anywhere I go. That would be a little tougher on a 125 🙂 although this race in July is a 24 hour team race so the bore size won’t matter quite as much other than having a little slower lap time while I’m out there.
Johnny Depp
6/25/2021 9:50am
agn5008 wrote:
0% chance of that happening. The beta 450 I had was the biggest piece of garbage I’ve ever owned. That bike was literally the reason I...
0% chance of that happening. The beta 450 I had was the biggest piece of garbage I’ve ever owned. That bike was literally the reason I stopped riding for a few years. I thought I hated dirt bikes after having that thing.
I thought you wanted a 2 smoke? They haven't made a 450 in almost 10 years, you might want to throw a leg over a new one...
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 9:56am
agn5008 wrote:
0% chance of that happening. The beta 450 I had was the biggest piece of garbage I’ve ever owned. That bike was literally the reason I...
I thought you wanted a 2 smoke? They haven't made a 450 in almost 10 years, you might want to throw a leg over a new...
I thought you wanted a 2 smoke? They haven't made a 450 in almost 10 years, you might want to throw a leg over a new one...
I do. My dad has a Beta 125. I was turned off after seeing how much trouble he had getting a pipe for his bike. Beta was out of stock, the pipe said FMF on it but FMF denied ever producing a pipe for Beta and the only after market he could find at the time was DEP (I believe) and he over paid big time for it.

I would possibly consider a 300 race edition if I could find one local and if resale value wasn’t so terrible.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
6/25/2021 9:59am
You might be able to find an MR300 PRO near you, should be about the same $$... Wink
Motoxdoc
6/25/2021 10:13am
agn5008 wrote:
I put a deposit down on a 2022 KTM 300 XC at a certain dealership. I was told the bike would be here in June so...
I put a deposit down on a 2022 KTM 300 XC at a certain dealership. I was told the bike would be here in June so I made the mistake of selling my bike a few weeks ago (yes, my mistake and I know this so please let’s not harp on it and move on) so now obviously it’s the end of June and still no bike. I called the dealer today and they tell me they don’t receive shipping updates and the bikes just arrive when they arrive. Is this a lie? I find it extremely hard to believe that KTM doesn’t provide a shipping confirmation/number for each order. I’m going to be pretty angry if they’re lying-I’d much rather have a dealer just tell me the truth and say the bike hasn’t shipped and they have no idea when it will then lie to me about it. Anyways, I’m paying $10,000 cash OTD for the KTM.

So I found a new (leftover) 2021 Husqvarna TX 300 for sale a few hours away. The problem I have is that it’s a 2021 and the dealer wants $10,450 plus tax for the bike. I’ll essentially be paying upwards of $11,000 for the Husky. That’s almost $1000 more for a bike that’s a year older. Obviously that isn’t ideal and I hate to even consider it but I know the bikes are essentially the same from 2021 to 2022.

To make things worse, I have a race scheduled in mid July that I’ve been signed up for 2 years now. I have to get a bike ASAP, get it set up and get some seat time ASAP.

1. Take my chances and wait out for the KTM. Chance not having the bike for the race (which isn’t the complete end of the world. I can borrow my dads bike for the race if I absolutely have to)

2. Offer $10,000 cash OTD for the 2021 Husky (which is in a different state so I’ll pay taxes when I return so don’t factor that in.) so essentially I’d be asking the husky dealer to take another $450 off the MSRP (or get rid of the inflated $650 set up fee they’re charging) so that I can pay the same price for the 2021 Husky as the 2022 KTM.

What are your opinions?
"they tell me they don’t receive shipping updates and the bikes just arrive when they arrive."
"I’d much rather have a dealer just tell me the truth and say the bike hasn’t shipped and they have no idea when it will."

Am I missing something here?
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 10:18am
agn5008 wrote:
I put a deposit down on a 2022 KTM 300 XC at a certain dealership. I was told the bike would be here in June so...

What are your opinions?
Motoxdoc wrote:
"they tell me they don’t receive shipping updates and the bikes just arrive when they arrive." "I’d much rather have a dealer just tell me the...
"they tell me they don’t receive shipping updates and the bikes just arrive when they arrive."
"I’d much rather have a dealer just tell me the truth and say the bike hasn’t shipped and they have no idea when it will."

Am I missing something here?
Yeah you are. I thought the dealer was just telling me they don’t receive shipping updates when bikes ship because I have seen on other forums that people were told when their bike was shipped.

Multiple people here have confirmed that KTM doesn’t tell their dealers what bike has been shipped. So the dealer wasn’t lying, and I have referenced my appreciation for that above.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
6/25/2021 10:19am
Press516 wrote:
You might be able to find an MR300 PRO near you, should be about the same $$... Wink
Laughing no thanks.
Johnny Depp
6/25/2021 10:29am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2021 11:06am
agn5008 wrote:
I thought you wanted a 2 smoke? They haven't made a 450 in almost 10 years, you might want to throw a leg over a new...
agn5008 wrote:
I do. My dad has a Beta 125. I was turned off after seeing how much trouble he had getting a pipe for his bike. Beta...
I do. My dad has a Beta 125. I was turned off after seeing how much trouble he had getting a pipe for his bike. Beta was out of stock, the pipe said FMF on it but FMF denied ever producing a pipe for Beta and the only after market he could find at the time was DEP (I believe) and he over paid big time for it.

I would possibly consider a 300 race edition if I could find one local and if resale value wasn’t so terrible.
Pipes are out of stock on everything right now. I know of 2 barely used 300's well set up around $8k, FB. 1 in KY and 1 in TX. New shipments arriving daily.
StevenMX
6/25/2021 10:48am
Hold off, don't compromise on what you've wanted due to emotional urges Smile .
Motoxdoc
6/25/2021 11:25am
agn5008 wrote:
Yeah you are. I thought the dealer was just telling me they don’t receive shipping updates when bikes ship because I have seen on other forums...
Yeah you are. I thought the dealer was just telling me they don’t receive shipping updates when bikes ship because I have seen on other forums that people were told when their bike was shipped.

Multiple people here have confirmed that KTM doesn’t tell their dealers what bike has been shipped. So the dealer wasn’t lying, and I have referenced my appreciation for that above.
"Yeah you are. I thought the dealer was just telling me they don’t receive shipping updates when bikes ship because I have seen on other forums that people were told when their bike was shipped."......This sentence is ambiguous at best and still doesn't make your first post anymore clearer.

You said the dealer told you he doesn't have the bike and he doesn't get shipping updates...in other words, he told you it hasn't shipped and he doesn't know when it will. Then you said, "I’d much rather have a dealer just tell me the truth and say the bike hasn’t shipped and they have no idea when it will." I can clearly understand being angry at the manufacturer that your bike hasn't arrived...but you questioned if the dealer lied to you, and in your own words, he didn't.

Post a reply to: What would you do?

The Latest