What would it take to get TM into Pro AMA Moto?

GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/17/2018 10:25am
make1go wrote:
ktm husky seem to have a bike on the track well before 400 hit the shores, somehow a loophole doesnt get closed. and alta get vetoed...
ktm husky seem to have a bike on the track well before 400 hit the shores, somehow a loophole doesnt get closed.

and alta get vetoed right quick, with explanation referring to the cc bias of years yonder and now an admitted "mistake"...
but is now, to late to fix..
some might say corrupt but who am i to say...?
certainly to complicit press wont.

and yet half the sheep clowns here will thumb down this post...
and to them i say:
"i rode today, friday 17 8 18..and now drinking fer free in a hooker bar...suck on that... photographic evidence is available but youd have to agree to putting $100 into a charity upon you seeing it and losing..
I'll be the one to say it. All of your posts are cryptic, incoherent drivel capped off by insulting the intelligence of everyone else in the thread. I've always assumed English is not your first language so I don't waste my time responding. Suffice it to say, there is a valid reason all of your posts get the thumbs down treatment. Maybe try a different approach?
mauidex
8/17/2018 10:51am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 10:52am
You can stamp it that you will never see tm racing pro mx or sx in the USA series unless someone buys the company or the rules change. They simply don’t care about being or doing anything differently than who or what they are.
ATKpilot99
8/17/2018 11:13am
Back in the 90s there was a rider who I think at least made it out to practice on one... They apparently thought they were signing up a KTM but forgot the K.
mauidex
8/17/2018 12:27pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Back in the 90s there was a rider who I think at least made it out to practice on one... They apparently thought they were signing...
Back in the 90s there was a rider who I think at least made it out to practice on one... They apparently thought they were signing up a KTM but forgot the K.
Yeah was Gordon ward at glen helen

The Shop

Moto Mofo
8/17/2018 12:30pm
There was a guy trying to make the night show at either the Dallas or Houston SX in the late 90s on a Gas Gas (back when they offered a MX bike). Always wondered how that slipped through the registration process.
diz330
8/17/2018 1:46pm
diz330 wrote:
I can't think of any factory level riders/contenders that are in search of a ride right now that are actually capable of putting results on the...
I can't think of any factory level riders/contenders that are in search of a ride right now that are actually capable of putting results on the board (top 10's anyway) seems to be just the right amount of factory bikes in the pits at the moment that justify a decent rider. Not really a need at the moment for another factory squad.

Besides reed and looks like there are spots for him at JGR or MCR
ga_pike wrote:
Seriously? What about Barcia and Wilson as examples? Both took fill-in rides and got moved to full time. A guy like Nicoletti who performs extremely well...
Seriously?

What about Barcia and Wilson as examples? Both took fill-in rides and got moved to full time. A guy like Nicoletti who performs extremely well every time he gets the chance but has spent his past few seasons as a professional fill-in guy. Chad Reed who is a consistent top 10 guy but doesn't have a factory ride for any number of reasons. Tyler Bowers?

And don't make me bring up JS7 and the needed factory ECU... (this one is a joke).

If you consider fill-in rides as a necessity, then it's quite possible you are right. But the other side is if you can give some of those on the fence factory level equipment, doesn't it deepen the field that much more? Not to mention the slew of 250 guys getting ready to move up and take some rides from guys who currently have them.

Personally, I'd like to see the satellite teams become the feeder system for the factory rides. MM25 gets hurt? Then move up one of the RMATV guys to the factory spot. (example... I know BB4 is a factory level guy already). Have full factory teams and then support teams... and then have the outside teams and privateers.
Yes I'm serious. Wilson and barcia will both have good rides for years to come. Who did Yamaha have to pick from this summer when Webb was out?

Bowers probably could have had grants ride for the summer if he put some effort into setting up his own program in may and put some decent results in.
8/17/2018 1:51pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 1:53pm
Homologation rules need to be a % of units manufactured and not a static number. MAYBE a minimum to qualify. Something like 50-100 for the public. No matter how strong or weak the industry is the limit for homologation will always put the same stress test on a manufacturer and public if it's based on percentage.
Johnny Depp
8/17/2018 2:32pm
A rule change. The same ones that will be needed for an Alta to race. If Alta is able to petition for a rule change, the other boutique bike companies may slip in on their coat tails.

The Country Club is basically private, you can get in, but the price of admission is millions in development and production of bikes that they may not even have a market for. If they built it would you buy it?

Alta, Beta (of course), Sherco, Gas Gas, and TM are proven products on the world stage, and as capable as any other bikes for a good run on a track, and could be "competitive" enough to make the show at AMA races.

mwr
8/17/2018 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 2:46pm
I looked now but couldn't find it, but I thought TM Racing USA (Ralf Schmidt) said something a few months ago about fielding an MX/Supercross team for 2019.

edit: yeah no, I was wrong. I think they'll do Straight Rhythm though, so there's that
OldYZRider1
8/17/2018 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 3:07pm
mauidex wrote:
you're missing the last paragraph..............notarized bills of lading and invoices, which mean that is the proof that the required units are in the countryDizzyDizzy

Sigh, I guess I need to stay at a Holiday Inn more often.Sad

Edit: I too have wondered whether Suzuki is meeting these unit numbers.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
8/17/2018 3:06pm
Given that so few motorcycles are sold, would allowing factory bikes back in raise the cost to be competitive and therefore completely drive out some manufactures?

How about a compromise? Since bikes seem to get overhauled ever 4-5 years, how about letting each mfg have a works bike every 5 years? This way new technology can be tested in real racing conditions, but would help keep someone with a huge checkbook from simply "buying" championships year after year.
8/17/2018 3:31pm
Given that so few motorcycles are sold, would allowing factory bikes back in raise the cost to be competitive and therefore completely drive out some manufactures...
Given that so few motorcycles are sold, would allowing factory bikes back in raise the cost to be competitive and therefore completely drive out some manufactures?

How about a compromise? Since bikes seem to get overhauled ever 4-5 years, how about letting each mfg have a works bike every 5 years? This way new technology can be tested in real racing conditions, but would help keep someone with a huge checkbook from simply "buying" championships year after year.
the mxgps allow full works bikes

The oems run essentially world superbike like programs - using production bike as a base

Why cant the USA do the same as mxgp

Tbeir series is better than our outdoor series, and their amatuer development series is better too.

Us mx nationals are going to be in a tough spot when the “world” supercross series gets rolling

OldYZRider1
8/17/2018 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2018 8:06am
Given that so few motorcycles are sold, would allowing factory bikes back in raise the cost to be competitive and therefore completely drive out some manufactures...

I keep thinking a race for experimental/developmental bikes would be cool. I think one at the Daytona SX would be cooler than hell and fit right in to the Bike Week activities. I believe they are still maintaining the track after the SX for the RC amateur stuff and for an ATV race anyway. They used to hold a race like this over on the roadracing side with the Battle of the Twins race and it was a really cool and popular event that initially operated outside of the AMA.

Electrics, turbos, wankels, alternate suspensions; all sorts of possibilities really.
mauidex
8/17/2018 3:53pm
mauidex wrote:
you're missing the last paragraph..............notarized bills of lading and invoices, which mean that is the proof that the required units are in the countryDizzyDizzy
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/17/281227/s1200_Stinkin_papers_meme.jpg[/img] Sigh, I guess I need to stay at a Holiday Inn more often.:( Edit: I too have wondered whether Suzuki is meeting these unit numbers.

Sigh, I guess I need to stay at a Holiday Inn more often.Sad

Edit: I too have wondered whether Suzuki is meeting these unit numbers.
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Thirteen-II
8/17/2018 8:34pm
The very nature of TM as a company doesn't really fit the bill. I'm sure they're capable of producing that many units of a specific model, but that's not what TM is about.
Question
8/17/2018 9:32pm
Maybe the rule will change ... when one of the current manufacturers cannot "homologate" his bike. Whistling
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
8/18/2018 7:53am

the mxgps allow full works bikes The oems run essentially world superbike like programs - using production bike as a base Why cant the USA do...
the mxgps allow full works bikes

The oems run essentially world superbike like programs - using production bike as a base

Why cant the USA do the same as mxgp

Tbeir series is better than our outdoor series, and their amatuer development series is better too.

Us mx nationals are going to be in a tough spot when the “world” supercross series gets rolling

Yes, the GP's allow full works bikes. I think Suzuki has left the building, and particularly in the MX2 class it appears there is less factory involvement from Yamaha and Kawasaki than we have in the US. Could the increased cost of running handmade works bikes over modified stockers have contributed to this? Maybe?

Given Luengo's desire to eliminate the little guy from racing, this makes perfect sense. In the US we allow anyone with the right credentials to line up and see what they can accomplish. I think full time works bikes widens the gap even further, and increases the cost to be competitive for anyone racing, factories included. However, the need for development bikes cannot be denied, hence my idea of limited works bikes.

Post a reply to: What would it take to get TM into Pro AMA Moto?

The Latest