What would hannah have done?

JustMX
Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 5:09am

Seriously, all this talk about savatgy not really having any choice but to let his teammate by got me to thinking about past riders and how they might have handled last night's situation.

Sure hannah got caught up in the whole "let broc bye" deal for a national title. It sickened him.

This not a national title. Et3 would still have won the event.

What about Jean Micheal bayle?

After all, he was benched specifically because he refused to be a team player if necessary to help stanton.

I just wonder if riders from the past with reputations of extreme competitive focus would have waved anybody by.

What about Hakan carlqvist, mikkola (sp?) RC , stanton, even decoster?

Can anybody else imagine one of those hard men from early mx giving an interview with a quote more or less that if the other guy wanted a million bucks he should have rode harder?

How about monster. Does anybody think they are excited that a rider was obviously waved by so they could win a million at their hyped up special event?

How is it going to be presented in the highlight clip at next year's event?

Is this just the payoff for sociological changes like "everybody gets a trophy" thinking instead of a focus on winning?
|
mauidex
10/14/2018 1:07pm
Versace on a one year deal. Right now plus one in the stay or go sheet
SCR
10/14/2018 1:20pm
JustMX wrote:
Seriously, all this talk about savatgy not really having any choice but to let his teammate by got me to thinking about past riders and how...

Seriously, all this talk about savatgy not really having any choice but to let his teammate by got me to thinking about past riders and how they might have handled last night's situation.

Sure hannah got caught up in the whole "let broc bye" deal for a national title. It sickened him.

After all, he was benched specifically because he refused to be a team player if necessary to help stanton.

I just wonder if riders from the past with reputations of extreme competitive focus would have waved anybody by.

Can anybody else imagine one of those hard men from early mx giving an interview with a quote more or less that if the other guy wanted a million bucks he should have rode harder?

How about monster. Does anybody think they are excited that a rider was obviously waved by so they could win a million at their hyped up special event?

Is this just the payoff for sociological changes like "everybody gets a trophy" thinking instead of a focus on winning?
Hannah let Bailey by ( Bye ?) In 83 also for the Grand National title and bonus. He said Bailey paid him the bonus ?
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
10/14/2018 1:23pm
JustMX wrote:
Seriously, all this talk about savatgy not really having any choice but to let his teammate by got me to thinking about past riders and how...

SCR wrote:
Hannah let Bailey by ( Bye ?) In 83 also for the Grand National title and bonus. He said Bailey paid him the bonus ?
Bailey gave him his win bonus for the race and Honda paid him for first.
olds cool
10/14/2018 1:24pm
I think it goes much deeper than "everybody gets a trophy". Seems like the majority here have no problem justifying Savatgy throwing the race because it didn't hurt anyone, helped Jesse win a mil, endeared himself to his new team, etc, etc. There is no delineation between right and wrong any more. Our society in general has gotten to the point where anything goes and the end justifies the means. I know I'll get flamed for this but I'm old and DGAS, so there's that.

The Shop

motogrady
10/14/2018 2:10pm

Shoot, back in the day MX wise you'd hear, especially as the seasons wound down, most all teams protecting or helping the guy on his team that had a shot at the title. The Russians, the Chechs, they were famous for it. They made no bones about it. You guys act like it's something new.

Not to mention the fans. Ask guys like Brad Lacky, the first Americans that went over there. I've read interviews where
beer and beer bottles were thrown in their faces, handlebars were grabbed when they slowed for hairpin turns.

JS waving his teammate by, with what was on the line, tame by old standards.
APLMAN99
10/14/2018 6:27pm
olds cool wrote:
I think it goes much deeper than "everybody gets a trophy". Seems like the majority here have no problem justifying Savatgy throwing the race because it...
I think it goes much deeper than "everybody gets a trophy". Seems like the majority here have no problem justifying Savatgy throwing the race because it didn't hurt anyone, helped Jesse win a mil, endeared himself to his new team, etc, etc. There is no delineation between right and wrong any more. Our society in general has gotten to the point where anything goes and the end justifies the means. I know I'll get flamed for this but I'm old and DGAS, so there's that.
Right and wrong? Are you serious?

The only thing that matters is that the check clears, right? So even if Tomac had offered to pay Savatgy a bit of cash, it'd be all fair as long as it's for the bonus and the money......

Or so I've been led to believe.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/14/2018 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2018 6:50pm
AMA pulled this sucker out for the last lap
ANYTHING GOES!

Racer111
10/14/2018 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2018 8:02pm
Everyone is making a big deal out of this shit and it doesn’t need to be a big deal. It had nothing to do with Tomac or Savatgy. It was Team Kawasaki and Monster Energy getting great publicity.

Here is how it went down.....

Team Kawasaki: Joey if you have to, let Tomac by. Let’s help this kid Jessie win 1,000,000.00 bucks!

It wasn’t about Tomac getting the million as much as it was Kawasaki wanting the fan get a million. And whether it was discussed or not discussed, I’m sure Eli will be genorous to Savatgy. It’s not like it was a point series. I’d be willing to bet Savatgy feels just fine with how his bike is, how he rode. He probably made more money letting Eli by than he would have if he hadn’t. And the kid wins a million bucks as well. The only people griping are on Vital. Everyone in the stands and watching on TV were pumped!

It’s done and over with. Get over it already.
web mx
10/15/2018 4:34am
JustMX wrote:

It was Kiedrowski that Bayle would not help in 1990 125 nationals not Stanton.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/15/2018 5:15am
web mx wrote:
Pretty sure I've heard that at the sx final in 1992 Bayle tried to stay behind Bradshaw to help him win over Stanton but Bradshaw was just going too slow Bayle couldn't help but go around him.
web mx
10/15/2018 12:42pm
web mx wrote:
early wrote:
Pretty sure I've heard that at the sx final in 1992 Bayle tried to stay behind Bradshaw to help him win over Stanton but Bradshaw was...
Pretty sure I've heard that at the sx final in 1992 Bayle tried to stay behind Bradshaw to help him win over Stanton but Bradshaw was just going too slow Bayle couldn't help but go around him.
Justmx's posting was about a teammate that got benched cause they said ahead of time they would not help their fellow teammate and that was about helping kiedrowski so they benched Bayle the last couple nationals.
10/15/2018 1:16pm
olds cool wrote:
I think it goes much deeper than "everybody gets a trophy". Seems like the majority here have no problem justifying Savatgy throwing the race because it...
APLMAN99 wrote:
Right and wrong? Are you serious? The only thing that matters is that the check clears, right? So even if Tomac had offered to pay Savatgy...
Right and wrong? Are you serious?

The only thing that matters is that the check clears, right? So even if Tomac had offered to pay Savatgy a bit of cash, it'd be all fair as long as it's for the bonus and the money......

Or so I've been led to believe.
I feel that whether it was "right" or "wrong" ultimately depends how we view the Monster Cup. Is it an actual "race" to be taken seriously (in which case Savagty/Eli indeed did the wrong thing and cheated). Or is it primarily a publicity stunt (in which Savagty made absolutely the right move to thrill fans/show himself as a first rate teammate)?

I personally take the publicity stunt stance on MEC. Bc in the race world, it counts for nothing other than a fun spectacle. Savagty's winning would have seriously soured the vibes of a show that, let's face it, is all about the "vibes".
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/15/2018 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 1:32pm
Racer111 wrote:
Everyone is making a big deal out of this shit and it doesn’t need to be a big deal. It had nothing to do with Tomac...
Everyone is making a big deal out of this shit and it doesn’t need to be a big deal. It had nothing to do with Tomac or Savatgy. It was Team Kawasaki and Monster Energy getting great publicity.

Team Kawasaki: Joey if you have to, let Tomac by. Let’s help this kid Jessie win 1,000,000.00 bucks!

It wasn’t about Tomac getting the million as much as it was Kawasaki wanting the fan get a million. And whether it was discussed or not discussed, I’m sure Eli will be genorous to Savatgy. It’s not like it was a point series. I’d be willing to bet Savatgy feels just fine with how his bike is, how he rode. He probably made more money letting Eli by than he would have if he hadn’t. And the kid wins a million bucks as well. The only people griping are on Vital. Everyone in the stands and watching on TV were pumped!

This. The people at Monster Energy are happy as pigs in mud that they have to pay $2 Mil. The intrinsic value of the MEC just went way up.

EDIT: That said, if Joey wanted to be a GREAT teammate, he should have just slowed down enough for Eli to take him high on the berm in the last corner instead of waving him by for all to see. 99% of the viewers would not have noticed and maybe we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
10/15/2018 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 1:32pm
Jesus - If my aunt hat a penis she would be my uncle. Been lurking and watching the vital meltdown over what happened. It was a one off race, you think all your heroes raced fairly and properly their whole liveS

Who remembers the rodeil cup in Los Angeles where riders faked near deaths and crashes to just not start on the second row?

Just a reminder - Bob Hannah raced a quad at the end of his career, we all know what vital thinks of quad riders.

It was a matter of circumstance, it wasn’t for a title, it wasn’t for points. It was for a million dollars that Savage wasn’t even eligible for.

you guys need SX season to start bad.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
10/15/2018 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 5:09am
Racer111 wrote:
Everyone is making a big deal out of this shit and it doesn’t need to be a big deal. It had nothing to do with Tomac...

Falcon wrote:
This. The people at Monster Energy are happy as pigs in mud that they have to pay $2 Mil. The intrinsic value of the MEC just...
This. The people at Monster Energy are happy as pigs in mud that they have to pay $2 Mil. The intrinsic value of the MEC just went way up.

EDIT: That said, if Joey wanted to be a GREAT teammate, he should have just slowed down enough for Eli to take him high on the berm in the last corner instead of waving him by for all to see. 99% of the viewers would not have noticed and maybe we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
-just read 500 guys post.
BR8ES
10/15/2018 1:33pm
cashed the check
BR8ES
10/15/2018 1:34pm
Regis wrote:
Jesus - If my aunt hat a penis she would be my uncle. Been lurking and watching the vital meltdown over what happened. It was a...
Jesus - If my aunt hat a penis she would be my uncle. Been lurking and watching the vital meltdown over what happened. It was a one off race, you think all your heroes raced fairly and properly their whole liveS

Who remembers the rodeil cup in Los Angeles where riders faked near deaths and crashes to just not start on the second row?

Just a reminder - Bob Hannah raced a quad at the end of his career, we all know what vital thinks of quad riders.

It was a matter of circumstance, it wasn’t for a title, it wasn’t for points. It was for a million dollars that Savage wasn’t even eligible for.

yes... so long ago. Sandbagging isn't new.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/15/2018 1:43pm
web mx wrote:
Justmx's posting was about a teammate that got benched cause they said ahead of time they would not help their fellow teammate and that was about...
Justmx's posting was about a teammate that got benched cause they said ahead of time they would not help their fellow teammate and that was about helping kiedrowski so they benched Bayle the last couple nationals.
I know, I was just pointing out that throwing a race is throwing a race whether it's for your team mate or not, and even the best have admitted to doing it sometimes.
JustMX
10/15/2018 2:13pm
Regis wrote:
Jesus - If my aunt hat a penis she would be my uncle. Been lurking and watching the vital meltdown over what happened. It was a...

He might have ridden a quad to hunt or done a photo shoot for suzuki but I don't remember ever seeing anything about hannah racing an atv.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
10/15/2018 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 3:03pm
Regis wrote:

JustMX wrote:
He might have ridden a quad to hunt or done a photo shoot for suzuki but I don't remember ever seeing anything about hannah racing an...
He might have ridden a quad to hunt or done a photo shoot for suzuki but I don't remember ever seeing anything about hannah racing an atv.
LA Coliseum. He raced a quad.

I like Hannah, was making a joke. But hey... not EVERYTHING he did was cool Wink
StevieTimes
10/15/2018 2:37pm
Regis wrote:

Fast forward to 6:20 if it doesn't do it for you
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
10/15/2018 2:41pm
web mx wrote:
early wrote:
Pretty sure I've heard that at the sx final in 1992 Bayle tried to stay behind Bradshaw to help him win over Stanton but Bradshaw was...
That was Guy Cooper who said Bradshaw was going so slow he had to pass him, Cooper also said he didn't want to ruin Bradshaws race but he also needed to earn it, which he sure didn't do.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/15/2018 5:42pm
You guys must not watch much F1 racing. Good thing.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
10/15/2018 7:14pm

Fast forward to 6:20 if it doesn't do it for you
SX would be a lot cooler nowadays if they would allow riders to randomly get on the mic unscripted and rant to the crowd like RJ there!
holeshot413
Fantasy
1759th
10/15/2018 7:48pm
Racer111 wrote:

This

Post a reply to: What would hannah have done?

The Latest