What will Jeremy Martin's penalty be?

KDXGarage
7/24/2017 10:41pm
Fair is fair. The consequence to him should be to have to read aloud every post in this thread.
kiwifan
7/24/2017 11:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 11:11pm
So cutting the track as long as it is safe is okay?
kiwifan wrote:
did you even read the post from dkg before posting your response? you guys need to move away from the 'cutting the track' mentality, good thing...
did you even read the post from dkg before posting your response? you guys need to move away from the 'cutting the track' mentality, good thing you arent the referee as you clearly cannot see common sense
OW38B wrote:
[i]"you guys need to move away from the 'cutting the track' mentality"[/i] You did see the part where JMart "cut" 12 to 15 seconds of the...
"you guys need to move away from the 'cutting the track' mentality"

You did see the part where JMart "cut" 12 to 15 seconds of the track off that lap correct?

The only leg he has to stand on is that he waited 5 or so seconds to let other riders bye....
I saw the part where he re-entered at a safe point closest to that of exit as per the rule book
JC21
7/24/2017 11:13pm
VRR7 wrote:
This same issue is relevant to all forms of motorsport. The current rules applied are consistent with the International ruling body of all forms of motorsport...
This same issue is relevant to all forms of motorsport. The current rules applied are consistent with the International ruling body of all forms of motorsport up to F1 and it is often the case more in road racing where a rider messes up take the run off road and gains a position and has to give the place back so he does not get an advantage IE Be in the same running position as JM did ! The argument they made a mistake missed braking marker is not relevant. No penalty is awarded chips fall where they fall. Its a mature level headed ruling and avoids over policing and less is more for the sake of the race and racing is the actual sport and winner ! Ride through and penalty and sit in the corner and and and traffic cops and more fines and just makes racing worse ! Not better.

The hot topic at the moment and most laws are for safety which strongly supports JM (The safe way in which he acted !) Is should Road Racer be allowed to continue racing after a crash ? Often times they damage the bike and then who knows if it is safe or not ( brakes clutch oil on the track etc - All potentially life threatening to many)? So a more NB topic should be - Should Osborne and Tomac have been black flagged or not ? The current ruling is no but it is under big scrutiny ! Like Grant said what if ZO 's bike locked up on a critical jump ??? Its dangerous ZO riding around a race track with big jumps on it with a bike with no water in it about to seize any moment is a bigger safety concern than what happened to JM - Priorities priorities ? Safety is a large factor for laws in motor sport .. how come are priorities so skewed ? JM acted safely and is the villain ZO did not and is the hero ? Inside out back to front ... Double backflip the finish line is hero move I understand but will actually get a penalty ( Guess why ? )
You're missing the point - different track, different corner, Martin loses a bunch of spots while he re-enters safely. But if he goes down at a really steep hill, as long as he doesn't gain a spot he can cut the track. Can you see the inconsistency in the this?

Ask people what they want from official's - most would say consistency.
Fourth_Floor
7/24/2017 11:29pm
He should have cut the track again after he crashed and got back ahead of Osborne haha.

The Shop

OW38B
Fantasy
181st
7/25/2017 1:44am
kiwifan wrote:
did you even read the post from dkg before posting your response? you guys need to move away from the 'cutting the track' mentality, good thing...
did you even read the post from dkg before posting your response? you guys need to move away from the 'cutting the track' mentality, good thing you arent the referee as you clearly cannot see common sense
OW38B wrote:
[i]"you guys need to move away from the 'cutting the track' mentality"[/i] You did see the part where JMart "cut" 12 to 15 seconds of the...

You did see the part where JMart "cut" 12 to 15 seconds of the track off that lap correct?

The only leg he has to stand on is that he waited 5 or so seconds to let other riders bye....
kiwifan wrote:
I saw the part where he re-entered at a safe point closest to that of exit as per the rule book
And the 400 or so feet of the course that he did not traverse that lap?
TDeath21
7/25/2017 7:21am
kiwifan wrote:
OW38B wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
Let's say that is the next safest place to enter. I don't believe it was, but that's what we will say.

How do you explain the portion that says they can't gain an advantage and that you can gain an advantage without gaining a position? He canceled out his mistake by cutting the track. Had he let Osborne by and waited a few more seconds, this thread would have never been created.
dkg
7/25/2017 8:13am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 8:15am
TDeath21 wrote:
Let's say that is the next safest place to enter. I don't believe it was, but that's what we will say. How do you explain the...
Let's say that is the next safest place to enter. I don't believe it was, but that's what we will say.

How do you explain the portion that says they can't gain an advantage and that you can gain an advantage without gaining a position? He canceled out his mistake by cutting the track. Had he let Osborne by and waited a few more seconds, this thread would have never been created.
The difficulty with your position is that it seeks a level of absolute determination that is impossible. Basically, if I am reading correctly, you feel that Martin should have allowed some amount of time to pass before re-entering that would equalize the effect of his going off course, re-entering at the exact location of exit and then having continued on with his race. This amount of time is to be determined by the rider under race conditions and determined as the amount of time from his theoretical position had he not crashed; waiting the exact amount of time it would have taken to get to the point of re-entry and then resume. For starters, it is speculation as to his the theoretical position was relative to Zach as this portion of the race didn't occur because of the events that caused the off track excursion to begin with. Secondly, it is also speculation as to how long to wait because nobody has been timing how long it would take to trasverse the missed portion of the track under those exact conditions.

Personally, I think the intent of the rule is to avoid situations where the rider exits and then re-enters gaining positions or obvious time advantages. This is a best efforts by the rider kind of thing and is evaluated by the race director. I don't feel it requires a level of precision from the rider that would take a team of physicists and statisticians from MIT to determine the most probable exact amount of time and relative position had the track exit not occurred. Most rational people can determine if the rider was intending to gain any significant advantage, certainly with enough precision for purposes of having an effect on relative finishing position in the race.

mooch
Fantasy
501st
7/25/2017 9:36am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 9:37am
TDeath21 wrote:
Let's say that is the next safest place to enter. I don't believe it was, but that's what we will say. How do you explain the...

dkg wrote:
The difficulty with your position is that it seeks a level of absolute determination that is impossible. Basically, if I am reading correctly, you feel that...
The difficulty with your position is that it seeks a level of absolute determination that is impossible. Basically, if I am reading correctly, you feel that Martin should have allowed some amount of time to pass before re-entering that would equalize the effect of his going off course, re-entering at the exact location of exit and then having continued on with his race. This amount of time is to be determined by the rider under race conditions and determined as the amount of time from his theoretical position had he not crashed; waiting the exact amount of time it would have taken to get to the point of re-entry and then resume. For starters, it is speculation as to his the theoretical position was relative to Zach as this portion of the race didn't occur because of the events that caused the off track excursion to begin with. Secondly, it is also speculation as to how long to wait because nobody has been timing how long it would take to trasverse the missed portion of the track under those exact conditions.

Personally, I think the intent of the rule is to avoid situations where the rider exits and then re-enters gaining positions or obvious time advantages. This is a best efforts by the rider kind of thing and is evaluated by the race director. I don't feel it requires a level of precision from the rider that would take a team of physicists and statisticians from MIT to determine the most probable exact amount of time and relative position had the track exit not occurred. Most rational people can determine if the rider was intending to gain any significant advantage, certainly with enough precision for purposes of having an effect on relative finishing position in the race.

After that VERY long explanation...I still agree with point quickly made by TDeath.

As others have said, Jmart clearly would have been passed by Osborne after going off the track, makes sense that he should have dropped in behind Osborne when reentering.
yzmatt
7/25/2017 10:58am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 10:58am
I can't believe the number of people that think what he did was ok. You do know the difference between a parade and a race, don't you?
Johnny Depp
7/25/2017 11:37am
It's not really a new issue:

DC

Vital MX member DC

5/29/2013 9:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2013 9:55 AM

While it's not really customary to post fines, I will be glad to do so here to give Reagan his/her satisfaction:

HANGTOWN: Mike Alessi ($250), Ken Roczen ($100), Blake Baggett ($100), and 30 warnings (no fine) for running outside the markers.

THUNDER VALLEY: James Stewart ($250), and 4 warnings (no fine) for running outside the markers.

That's $700, total. I was off by $200, which is $24,300 closer than the original poster implied. The money goes to the Asterisk Mobile Medical Unit.

There will be extra discussion at this week's riders meeting as well as added scrutiny by race officials, both in staying within the markers and also how to proceed when one goes off the track.

DC
MX Sports
7/25/2017 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 12:57pm
He should have cut the track again after he crashed and got back ahead of Osborne haha.
No. He should cut the whole track for the whole race, avoiding all obstacles, including the one that lead to his crash, and periodically pop back on behind whomever he was previously behind wherever he deemed as safe re-entry point.
7/25/2017 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 12:32pm
VRR7 wrote:
This same issue is relevant to all forms of motorsport. The current rules applied are consistent with the International ruling body of all forms of motorsport...
This same issue is relevant to all forms of motorsport. The current rules applied are consistent with the International ruling body of all forms of motorsport up to F1 and it is often the case more in road racing where a rider messes up take the run off road and gains a position and has to give the place back so he does not get an advantage IE Be in the same running position as JM did ! The argument they made a mistake missed braking marker is not relevant. No penalty is awarded chips fall where they fall. Its a mature level headed ruling and avoids over policing and less is more for the sake of the race and racing is the actual sport and winner ! Ride through and penalty and sit in the corner and and and traffic cops and more fines and just makes racing worse ! Not better.

The hot topic at the moment and most laws are for safety which strongly supports JM (The safe way in which he acted !) Is should Road Racer be allowed to continue racing after a crash ? Often times they damage the bike and then who knows if it is safe or not ( brakes clutch oil on the track etc - All potentially life threatening to many)? So a more NB topic should be - Should Osborne and Tomac have been black flagged or not ? The current ruling is no but it is under big scrutiny ! Like Grant said what if ZO 's bike locked up on a critical jump ??? Its dangerous ZO riding around a race track with big jumps on it with a bike with no water in it about to seize any moment is a bigger safety concern than what happened to JM - Priorities priorities ? Safety is a large factor for laws in motor sport .. how come are priorities so skewed ? JM acted safely and is the villain ZO did not and is the hero ? Inside out back to front ... Double backflip the finish line is hero move I understand but will actually get a penalty ( Guess why ? )
That ignores the simple reality that in other form of Motorsport, off-the-track is slower and thus, it's own penalty.

In MX, of course a guy would have an easier time on the mule road alongside the track than an actual rutted up track full of mx obstacles.. I can run times with Dungey around a national track, if I get to ride the access road.
LappedU
7/25/2017 1:44pm
There were the people with the green vests on with there lawn chairs and a big tree to keep him from going back on, on the uphill part of the track, he did the right thing!
dkg
7/25/2017 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 2:03pm
mooch wrote:
After that VERY long explanation...I still agree with point quickly made by TDeath. As others have said, Jmart clearly would have been passed by Osborne after...
After that VERY long explanation...I still agree with point quickly made by TDeath.

As others have said, Jmart clearly would have been passed by Osborne after going off the track, makes sense that he should have dropped in behind Osborne when reentering.
Laugh, yeah it was a bit wordy. Probably could go either way. I just don't see a penalty being in order either way. Getting better on a length?
downard254
7/25/2017 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 2:30pm
Reading the last two pages here got me to thinking I was watching CSpan.
With all the law makers here writing amendments to the rules means that team manager in the future will need to have a Harvard Law degree.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
7/25/2017 2:51pm
No. He should cut the whole track for the whole race, avoiding all obstacles, including the one that lead to his crash, and periodically pop back...
No. He should cut the whole track for the whole race, avoiding all obstacles, including the one that lead to his crash, and periodically pop back on behind whomever he was previously behind wherever he deemed as safe re-entry point.
As long as the technical director agrees and recommends it to the referee.
Flip109
7/25/2017 3:33pm
His track, he can do what he wants!
blusmbl
7/25/2017 5:26pm
That ignores the simple reality that in other form of Motorsport, off-the-track is slower and thus, it's own penalty. In MX, of course a guy would...
That ignores the simple reality that in other form of Motorsport, off-the-track is slower and thus, it's own penalty.

In MX, of course a guy would have an easier time on the mule road alongside the track than an actual rutted up track full of mx obstacles.. I can run times with Dungey around a national track, if I get to ride the access road.
Many of the road racing incident examples are missing chicanes, and the offender does end up gaining positions that have to be given back.
7/25/2017 6:06pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 8:31pm
That ignores the simple reality that in other form of Motorsport, off-the-track is slower and thus, it's own penalty. In MX, of course a guy would...

blusmbl wrote:
Many of the road racing incident examples are missing chicanes, and the offender does end up gaining positions that have to be given back.
Even in that isolated example, it doesn't underscore how insanely easy it is to ride the trackside mule lane vs an actual rough-as-shit mx track. Like a complete novice putting around could still be faster than a world class rider.

Put me against Marc Marquez on a road course and I have no hope in the world no matter how many corners I cut (which sounds really harrowing in itself). Meanwhile, if you asked me to average 25 mph like Eli, but on the obstacle-free graded utility lane near a national track... Hell, a novice-class rider could probably do that on an XR100
ledger
7/25/2017 6:44pm
Flip109 wrote:
I think you may be right.
Flip109
7/25/2017 9:01pm
Flip109 wrote:
ledger wrote:
I think you may be right.
was of course joking but man it looks that way! haha

Post a reply to: What will Jeremy Martin's penalty be?

The Latest