What will Jeremy Martin's penalty be?

downard254
7/24/2017 10:43am
VRR7 wrote:
The rule is join the race at the next safest opportunity. To join the track where you left it would often be completely impractical considering this...
The rule is join the race at the next safest opportunity. To join the track where you left it would often be completely impractical considering this is racing in a forwards direct and hence the rule is the next safest place. It would be very hard to argue that that was not the next safest place to re join the track and he did so safely and responsibly. Which is a large part of the requirement. Or the other way around it would be very easy to argue that anywhere else on the uphill would not be a safe place to re-enter the track. J Marts behavior under the circumstance was fair and safe. What is the reverse argument turn around enter the track where he left of go backwards on the race track and rerun at the hill ? Really ? Considering the options available the one chosen was pretty sensible. I have not read any other option that are more sensible and safe than the one he actually chose all other option have potential safety issues that would easily be pointed out to any panel of inquiry !
Crush wrote:
Agree he "gained no advantage" but he 100% could have entered slightly up the hill where the break in the banners were, and the riders going...
Agree he "gained no advantage" but he 100% could have entered slightly up the hill where the break in the banners were, and the riders going up the hill are going slower than the guys coming down.

TXDirt wrote:
He did gain an advantage by cutting the track. Had he not cut the track and instead reentered somewhere relatively close to where he went off...
He did gain an advantage by cutting the track. Had he not cut the track and instead reentered somewhere relatively close to where he went off the track he would have lost like 10-15 seconds or there abouts.

So by cutting the track he absolutely gained an unfair advantage.
Just out of curiosity, would a 20 second time added to his race time overall satisfy your need for penalty since by your admission he did gain a 10-15 second advantage. I'm only asking since he finished about 21 seconds ahead of the next rider and the rider after that was another 5 sec back, then there was a huge gap to catch the next place. In the end, what overall effect on the championship would it have. I'm going to go with zero effect.
DC
7/24/2017 10:55am
I wasn't there, and I wasn't watching -- I was in Jacksonville checking on WW Motocross Park for the MXGP of the USA (which is a very cool track). I saw this later and inquired about what the ruling was. The referee sent Tim McAdams (technical director) up to see if Martin could have re-entered further up the hill, but with the mud and steepness of that last climb, he believed it would have been almost impossible—TV doesn’t do that hill justice. Martin did what the rulebook says, which is go to the nearest place to get back on the track. He waited and re-entered in the same position. (Personally, I wish he would have waited longer, and maybe let Osborne by, because he was right on him when he went off the track.) The referee then decided to let the results stand as they were and not penalize Martin for running off the track. Martin’s intent was not to cut the track, he just got out of control and went off the track. He did not gain any positions, and the referee let the results stand, though the debate continues…

DC
Racer X
TXDirt
7/24/2017 10:56am
Crush wrote:
Agree he "gained no advantage" but he 100% could have entered slightly up the hill where the break in the banners were, and the riders going...
Agree he "gained no advantage" but he 100% could have entered slightly up the hill where the break in the banners were, and the riders going up the hill are going slower than the guys coming down.

TXDirt wrote:
He did gain an advantage by cutting the track. Had he not cut the track and instead reentered somewhere relatively close to where he went off...
He did gain an advantage by cutting the track. Had he not cut the track and instead reentered somewhere relatively close to where he went off the track he would have lost like 10-15 seconds or there abouts.

downard254 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, would a 20 second time added to his race time overall satisfy your need for penalty since by your admission he did...
Just out of curiosity, would a 20 second time added to his race time overall satisfy your need for penalty since by your admission he did gain a 10-15 second advantage. I'm only asking since he finished about 21 seconds ahead of the next rider and the rider after that was another 5 sec back, then there was a huge gap to catch the next place. In the end, what overall effect on the championship would it have. I'm going to go with zero effect.
I would dock him minimum 3 positions and possibly as much as 5 in that moto. I'm not into a time penalty because we don't know what may have happened if he tried to enter the track and proceed up the uphill as normal.

The more egregious decision was him cutting back in front of Zach.

I'd go with 3 positions. That seems fair.

It would not be fair to issue a penalty based on the results of the day, or how he crashed a few turns later, or how it may effect the championship. The rules should be as fairly administered as possible.

Cut track get docked three positions minimum.
7/24/2017 10:59am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 11:09am
downard254 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, would a 20 second time added to his race time overall satisfy your need for penalty since by your admission he did...
We are establishing the order of the sport. There needs to be an actual, punitive effect to not following the spirit of the rules.

In ball sports, it doesn't matter if your foul on Michael Jordan in game 3 of the season negatively effects his eventual rise to a championship. In and of the moment, it is penalized.

The Shop

jbomx363
7/24/2017 11:16am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 11:55am
Crush wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

downard254 wrote:
Docking positions is the only way to penalize on a "cut the track" offense, IMHO.

Who is to say.....that he wouldn't of crashed or had a mechanical if he had to complete that section? Did he get a few extra moments to catch his breath and calm himself by waiting for the other riders to come around before he reentered? Is that an advantage.

All kinds of scenario "could" of happened, whether or not it would of changed the outcome of finishing position is just a guess.

And... too muddy and he may not have made it... that's a guess, albeit an educated one... too bad, he should of tried.

EDIT: See TXDirt said it first. Oops
downard254
7/24/2017 11:24am
We are establishing the order of the sport. There needs to be an actual, punitive effect to not following the spirit of the rules. In ball...
We are establishing the order of the sport. There needs to be an actual, punitive effect to not following the spirit of the rules.

In ball sports, it doesn't matter if your foul on Michael Jordan in game 3 of the season negatively effects his eventual rise to a championship. In and of the moment, it is penalized.
I get what you are saying. I have no horse in this race, but some folks on here seem hell bent on penalizing JMart in some way, shape, or form. The problem is, this sport has so many rules that are open to interpretation. There almost can't be a simple black and white on everything. When I watched the race, and saw JMart exit the track, my thought as he was rolling over to the downhill to enter was along the lines of "he sure is taking his sweet old time there". Obviously, he was waiting for the other riders to pass by to enter the order where he was. Did he go out of his way to gain some sort of an advantage, it didn't look like it to me. I was even less concerned about the situation after he went down. It was almost like karma evened the score for all involved. This whole off track excursion has turned into a mountain from a mole hill IMHO.
sc961
7/24/2017 11:26am
DC wrote:
I wasn't there, and I wasn't watching -- I was in Jacksonville checking on WW Motocross Park for the MXGP of the USA (which is a...
I wasn't there, and I wasn't watching -- I was in Jacksonville checking on WW Motocross Park for the MXGP of the USA (which is a very cool track). I saw this later and inquired about what the ruling was. The referee sent Tim McAdams (technical director) up to see if Martin could have re-entered further up the hill, but with the mud and steepness of that last climb, he believed it would have been almost impossible—TV doesn’t do that hill justice. Martin did what the rulebook says, which is go to the nearest place to get back on the track. He waited and re-entered in the same position. (Personally, I wish he would have waited longer, and maybe let Osborne by, because he was right on him when he went off the track.) The referee then decided to let the results stand as they were and not penalize Martin for running off the track. Martin’s intent was not to cut the track, he just got out of control and went off the track. He did not gain any positions, and the referee let the results stand, though the debate continues…

DC
Racer X

Thanks DC.

Sounds like the rules were followed, and you are 100% correct.. If you aren't standing at the bottom of Mt Martin, there's no way to tell how steep the climb, and wet the conditions were.

Jeremy waited for all the riders that were ahead of him, to stay ahead of him, then re-entered the race at the safest spot on the track.
tingo
7/24/2017 11:34am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 11:45am
DC wrote:
I wasn't there, and I wasn't watching -- I was in Jacksonville checking on WW Motocross Park for the MXGP of the USA (which is a...

DC
Racer X
Thanks for chiming in with the scoop DC. Looking forward to the GP.

As for the call that was made, meh, it's judgement I guess, and like you said, "the debate continues." Many would be on board with that call if this happened on the steep part of the hill, in which case there is a slim chance in hell even a hill-climb bike could get going again, but this was on a flat terrace. From the comfort of my couch, I maintain that he could have easily - and safely - reentered in the exact spot he went off track. He had already knocked the banner down to make reentry easy. He didn't try to stop, turn around, or even turn his head to look at where he could reenter. Instead, he immediately focused his attention on reentering in the race position he was in. He completely avoided what should have been a self-inflicted time/position penalty for squidding out and shooting off the track.

Edit: And the worst part of all this was his mechanic shaking his head when JMart dumped his bike in the corner. Sure, you can be disappointed, but it's a bad look to take a figurative dump on your rider when he is literally down.

https://youtu.be/wo2bhzazGow
mha1406
7/24/2017 11:38am
that hill is insanely steep, I was standing at the bottom most of the day and a lot of guys were struggling with it.. tv does zero justice. I can't remember who it was but someone in the 250 class didn't make it up the face of the triple, had to turn around, re-entered before the triple & got t-boned by another rider. IMO, it would've been extremely hard to reenter and make it all the way up BUT I also think jumping back on after zach would've been the better move. Watching the 450's huck that triple early in the day was a sight to see
TXDirt
7/24/2017 11:43am
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
tingo wrote:
Thanks for chiming in with the scoop DC. Looking forward to the GP. As for the call that was made, meh, it's judgement I guess, and...

As for the call that was made, meh, it's judgement I guess, and like you said, "the debate continues." Many would be on board with that call if this happened on the steep part of the hill, in which case there is a slim chance in hell even a hill-climb bike could get going again, but this was on a flat terrace. From the comfort of my couch, I maintain that he could have easily - and safely - reentered in the exact spot he went off track. He had already knocked the banner down to make reentry easy. He didn't try to stop, turn around, or even turn his head to look at where he could reenter. Instead, he immediately focused his attention on reentering in the race position he was in. He completely avoided what should have been a self-inflicted time/position penalty for squidding out and shooting off the track.

Edit: And the worst part of all this was his mechanic shaking his head when JMart dumped his bike in the corner. Sure, you can be disappointed, but it's a bad look to take a figurative dump on your rider when he is literally down.

Agree and hate to read "his intent was not to go off the track". Well who cares? He did go off the track. He also cut the track. Since when do we rationalize someones intent in this situation? He sure as heck had no intent of even surveying a re-entry point close to where he went off. How could Martin even know if it was too difficult to re-enter at the point he went off? He didn't even glance over at it much less make any kind of attempt to re-enter.

He cut the track and made an even more idiotic decision to enter track ahead of Zach.

I thought Joey's track cut in SX was far less egregious then what Martin did. So Joey gets docked but not Martin. Makes no sense.
7/24/2017 12:16pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
tingo wrote:
Thanks for chiming in with the scoop DC. Looking forward to the GP. As for the call that was made, meh, it's judgement I guess, and...

TXDirt wrote:
Agree and hate to read "his intent was not to go off the track". Well who cares? He did go off the track. He also cut...
Agree and hate to read "his intent was not to go off the track". Well who cares? He did go off the track. He also cut the track. Since when do we rationalize someones intent in this situation? He sure as heck had no intent of even surveying a re-entry point close to where he went off. How could Martin even know if it was too difficult to re-enter at the point he went off? He didn't even glance over at it much less make any kind of attempt to re-enter.

He cut the track and made an even more idiotic decision to enter track ahead of Zach.

I thought Joey's track cut in SX was far less egregious then what Martin did. So Joey gets docked but not Martin. Makes no sense.
Hard time remembering what you read? DC said Martin's intent wasn't to cut the track. See the difference this time? He was idiotic? Your anger over this fits idiotic better.
TXDirt
7/24/2017 12:31pm
tingo wrote:

TXDirt wrote:
Agree and hate to read "his intent was not to go off the track". Well who cares? He did go off the track. He also cut...

Hard time remembering what you read? DC said Martin's intent wasn't to cut the track. See the difference this time? He was idiotic? Your anger over...
Hard time remembering what you read? DC said Martin's intent wasn't to cut the track. See the difference this time? He was idiotic? Your anger over this fits idiotic better.
Who's angry? Just stating facts. If the facts bother you then go curl up somewhere and take a nap.
7/24/2017 12:35pm
TXDirt wrote:

Hard time remembering what you read? DC said Martin's intent wasn't to cut the track. See the difference this time? He was idiotic? Your anger over...
TXDirt wrote:
Who's angry? Just stating facts. If the facts bother you then go curl up somewhere and take a nap.
I read misinformation, opinions and assumptions.
TXDirt
7/24/2017 12:42pm
TXDirt wrote:
I read misinformation, opinions and assumptions.
It's factual he cut the track. It's on video. Appears it's factual that he received no penalty. What's between those two occurrences is subjective and up for debate. Welcome to a discussion forum!
7/24/2017 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 12:57pm
We are establishing the order of the sport. There needs to be an actual, punitive effect to not following the spirit of the rules. In ball...

downard254 wrote:
I get what you are saying. I have no horse in this race, but some folks on here seem hell bent on penalizing JMart in some...
I get what you are saying. I have no horse in this race, but some folks on here seem hell bent on penalizing JMart in some way, shape, or form. The problem is, this sport has so many rules that are open to interpretation. There almost can't be a simple black and white on everything. When I watched the race, and saw JMart exit the track, my thought as he was rolling over to the downhill to enter was along the lines of "he sure is taking his sweet old time there". Obviously, he was waiting for the other riders to pass by to enter the order where he was. Did he go out of his way to gain some sort of an advantage, it didn't look like it to me. I was even less concerned about the situation after he went down. It was almost like karma evened the score for all involved. This whole off track excursion has turned into a mountain from a mole hill IMHO.
I think that's among the issues this thread attempts to suss. Why would any of those rules be subject to interpretation?

Or even if interpretable to whatever degree, why would penalties be anything other than canonical? You take your mandated penalty, like every other sport in the world, and move on.
downard254
7/24/2017 12:50pm
tingo wrote:
Some precedent below with AC getting docked 10 positions. Let's see what the powers that be come up with this time, if anything. I'm a big...
Some precedent below with AC getting docked 10 positions. Let's see what the powers that be come up with this time, if anything. I'm a big fan of both Martin bros, but wrong is wrong, and they shouldn't let this slide without some sort of time/position penalty.
https://youtu.be/WacWAjREacg
Tingo, I watched your vid and realized one glaring issue the referee or race director may have had in the AC case. The rules also state that once you leave the course you must slow down to a safe speed so as to not harm other riders, officials, workers, or fans. It appears in the video that Adam was running that access road at near race speed. That's the kind of violation that will get someones attention.
Beeby
7/24/2017 1:03pm
What precedent does this set based on what happened and DC's response... all riders will now just go back onto the track where it's most convenient and argue about it later.
7/24/2017 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 1:31pm
Let's be 100% real.

Whether the hill is really difficult or not doesn't change the concept of it as an obstacle on the course. If it is tougher to restart midway, a rider probably should be keeping DAMN close track to his line choice and aggressiveness on that portion of the course.

And if they can't restart from there -- need to find a less difficult place: That is not grounds for skipping the section (with minimal consequence); It is further grounds for MAKING them perform the section, since the other competitors did.
kiwifan
7/24/2017 1:14pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
well that is it then, oh wait this is vital, this isnt over eh? ...sigh....
tingo
7/24/2017 1:37pm
Not that we'll ever know - and this is purely "what if" speculation - but, I bet the outcome would be different if Jeremy managed to hold Osbourne off for the rest of the moto. Husky would have protested and JMart would have been penalized to rectify the situation. And you can stamp that with unicorn ink.
JC21
7/24/2017 1:39pm
What if Martin finished ahead of Zach? Any penalty then? Martin didn't intend to cut the track so it's all good aye?

Can't believe intent was even mentioned in an officiating discussion
DC
7/24/2017 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 2:19pm
I was not an official the event, JC21, but I am the one who offered that it wasn't Martin's intent to cut the track.

DC
Racer X
7/24/2017 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 2:50pm
DC wrote:
I was not an official the event, JC21, but I am the one who offered that it wasn't Martin's intent to cut the track. DC Racer...
I was not an official the event, JC21, but I am the one who offered that it wasn't Martin's intent to cut the track.

DC
Racer X
Then I'll offer this: whether that was his intent or not (difficult to determine), that was his accomplishment, and it shouldn't be rewarded.
DC
7/24/2017 2:58pm
I can assure you Dirty Points that Jeremy Martin did not mean to lose control of his bike and go through the banners. And he wasn't rewarded -- he just wasn't penalized (unless you feel that is a reward in itself). When Adam Cianciarulo got penalized, he was racing down a water truck road at Unadilla and cut inside the corner and passed a bunch of folks. When Joey Savatgy got out of control in New Jersey, it was not the nearest safe place to return, and he was going the wrong direction, and he gained significant time. Martin could not get going in the same direction, according to the referee, and he did not gain anything... But he didn't lose anything either.

As fans we all have opinions on what should or should not have happened in all three cases, but only the referee gets to make the call.

DC
Racer X
Johnny Depp
7/24/2017 3:01pm
A "crash" off the track should in itself be a detriment to your track position, not end up in the same place.
7/24/2017 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 3:09pm
DC wrote:
I can assure you Dirty Points that Jeremy Martin did not mean to lose control of his bike and go through the banners. And he wasn't...
I can assure you Dirty Points that Jeremy Martin did not mean to lose control of his bike and go through the banners. And he wasn't rewarded -- he just wasn't penalized (unless you feel that is a reward in itself). When Adam Cianciarulo got penalized, he was racing down a water truck road at Unadilla and cut inside the corner and passed a bunch of folks. When Joey Savatgy got out of control in New Jersey, it was not the nearest safe place to return, and he was going the wrong direction, and he gained significant time. Martin could not get going in the same direction, according to the referee, and he did not gain anything... But he didn't lose anything either.

As fans we all have opinions on what should or should not have happened in all three cases, but only the referee gets to make the call.

DC
Racer X
I never characterized his intent. Just the repurcussions therein.

It doesn't matter in every other sport in existence if you "intend" to violate the rules before hand. It just is what it is: if you went "out of bounds", if you foul a dude, if you commit an "error", if you fuck up in any way, if you leave the "playing surface", you don't get any competitive advantage or extra-normal opportunity based on that -- you get a violation that negatively effects your competitiveness.
DC
7/24/2017 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 3:17pm
I see your (dirty) points, but you said it was difficult to determine his intent (again, my word, not the referee's) and I was responding to that.

But here's an example where it also comes into question: In baseball, how do you decide whether to throw a pitcher out after he hits a batter? How does the umpire decide the difference between a beanball and an errant pitch? In basketball, how do they determine flagrant fouls from normal fouls? Doesn't intent come into play for the referee or umpire at some point?

And in many of those other sports, a whistle blows, or a play ends, or the pitch is thrown, and everyone lines up again, so a penalty can be assessed immediately. In motocross, we play on -- and we ask the rider to get back on track at the nearest safe spot. The referee determined that Jeremy Martin did that, without gaining an advantage.

DC
MX Sports

7/24/2017 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 4:23pm
DC wrote:
I see your (dirty) points, but you said it was difficult to determine his intent (again, my word, not the referee's) and I was responding to...
I see your (dirty) points, but you said it was difficult to determine his intent (again, my word, not the referee's) and I was responding to that.

But here's an example where it also comes into question: In baseball, how do you decide whether to throw a pitcher out after he hits a batter? How does the umpire decide the difference between a beanball and an errant pitch? In basketball, how do they determine flagrant fouls from normal fouls? Doesn't intent come into play for the referee or umpire at some point?

And in many of those other sports, a whistle blows, or a play ends, or the pitch is thrown, and everyone lines up again, so a penalty can be assessed immediately. In motocross, we play on -- and we ask the rider to get back on track at the nearest safe spot. The referee determined that Jeremy Martin did that, without gaining an advantage.

DC
MX Sports

In other sports, should the referee make the wrong decision on the field, they are crucified. In this case, the referee made the wrong decision on the field (ZERO DECISION), and you are saying because faults occur elsewhere in other sports, we shouldn't even attempt to correct or even come up with a better judgement on spot.

We are one of few sports in the world that track all competitive metrics (video and transponder) through every segment, and you seem to be saying that coming up with equitable punishments for leaving the playing field is unreasonable.

Here, I'm not even an official, and rvrn I can come up with some sort of penalty within seconds of racking my tiny brain: "3 second lap penalty for every one sec spent out of bounds". I'm sure you guys can do better.

And, It may not be enforced universally, but at least it IS A RULE.
slumpstone
7/24/2017 3:58pm
DC wrote:
I can assure you Dirty Points that Jeremy Martin did not mean to lose control of his bike and go through the banners. And he wasn't...

DC
Racer X
Davey you couldn't be further off base on this. Joey did almost the exact move Jeremy did only difference was no one protested him. If he would've held Zac off I promise you husky would've protested. If he couldn't make it up the hill then he should've went to the bottom and gave it another shot. Total b.s. In my opinion
7/24/2017 4:01pm
DC wrote:
I see your (dirty) points, but you said it was difficult to determine his intent (again, my word, not the referee's) and I was responding to...

DC
MX Sports

DC

It's an easy solution, if you go off the track and are unable to re-enter close to the same spot where you exited then the rider must do a stop and go in the mechanics area. If the rider doesn't do a "stop and go" then they are subjected to a more serious punishment.

Mistakes shouldn't be mulligans!

Later,

P.S. I would implement this at the beginning of next season, thus giving riders, teams and officials time to learn exactly what is expected.

Post a reply to: What will Jeremy Martin's penalty be?

The Latest