What will Jeremy Martin's penalty be?

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
7/23/2017 4:05am
That was not right and I would have to imagine JMart looking back knows it. You can't just cut an entire section of the track. Did anyone see what the guy that had the 450B top qualifying spot did? He did something very similar in the same spot when it first came on NBC Gold and he went to the bottom of the hill and started over so he wouldn't be penalized. If he knew it you know JMart knew it.....
philG
7/23/2017 4:33am
His penalty should be the amount of time taken from where he went off, to where he came back on, based on video of a rider in a similar position. What if that hill had been difficult to get up , and guys just decided to 'cut' .

IMO , they should have a place to rejoin the track every 25 metres, and before every turn, if you miss a turn you have cut the course and should get a penalty.
downard254
7/23/2017 5:35am
Must be a slow day for some folks. Seems to be a lot of bitching about practically nothing.
7/23/2017 6:35am
He didn't gain anything over the people that finished in front of him (*he crashed*). There was banners all the way to top of the hill...
He didn't gain anything over the people that finished in front of him (*he crashed*). There was banners all the way to top of the hill with a small opening another tier up. That tier had a bunch of people on it. It was definitely more safe to enter where he did. Did he not lose ground for his mistake? Basically. It's not like he knew how many seconds the next guy was behind him to make sure he entered the track precisely to account for his mistake. For the guy that said it was 20 second mistake.... not even close. If you want riders to enter the track where they left then you need to lose some of the banners. I get it, they are sponsors but let's be honest they aren't keeping bikes on the track.
RG1 wrote:
The fact that he crashed later is irrelevant, he still gained an advantage as he would've been even further back after he crashed. There were no...
The fact that he crashed later is irrelevant, he still gained an advantage as he would've been even further back after he crashed. There were no banners where he went off the track. It's okay saying that he would've really struggled to get up the hill after he went off, tough shit, he shouldn't have made the mistake and put himself in that situation then. You can't just think oh it's going to be really difficult to do this section now, I'll just miss it out. That's not how racing works. It was a 15 to 20 second mistake. By the time he went off the track, turned around, got back on the track, got to the top of the hill it would have cost him 15 to 20 seconds and probably somewhere between 5-10 positions. As it turned out he lost absolutely nothing. I have no idea how it can not be a penalty
There was banners where he went off the track. He plowed right through them. Getting on the track on an uphilll jump isn't exactly safe. I don't care if he gets penalized, just giving my opinion on the safety of it.

The Shop

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
7/23/2017 7:29am
AMA ~ MXSports will only apply a penalty if someone protest, we've seen that plenty of times this year.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
7/23/2017 7:53am
It won't matter, he's not in the running for anything anyway.
Hut
7/23/2017 7:54am
Blatantly cut the track should get a penalty
slipdog
7/23/2017 8:16am
I can't comment on how steep the hill was at the point he went off, but there was a break in the banners just 20 yards above where he went odd and was open the rest of the way up the hill.
RangerLee
7/23/2017 8:30am
He didn't gain a spot I don't think. He got back on the track in the same position. But he did technically "cut the track"
He did gain a spot, when he went off the track he was passed, cutting the track allowed him to get back in front of the person that passed him. I figured he was going to wait for Osborne to pass, he did not.

That said with other incidents this year the AMA looked the other way, so chances are, due to the crash, they probably will here too.
PFitzG38
7/23/2017 8:38am
JustMX wrote:
You know, before you guys post about it, perhaps you should read the rules and understand them. Kzizok, they are not required to reenter where the...
You know, before you guys post about it, perhaps you should read the rules and understand them.

Kzizok, they are not required to reenter where the went off.

That hasn't been the rule since back in the 90's.
^^This
TDeath21
7/23/2017 8:50am
Martin did himself a favor by making a bigger mistake. Had he only made a minor mistake and stayed on the track, he'd have lost a ton of time. It goes the other way too. If he had made a bigger mistake and crashed while attempting to stay on the track, he'd have lost a ton of time. The precedent this sets, if no penalty is given, is that when you make a mistake, just go off the track and re-enter where you were before you made the mistake.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
7/23/2017 10:44am
Should be a penalty. Had plenty of room and a clearing to re-enter the track just 30 feet ahead of where he went off.
He cut a complete section of track to get back in the race in the position where he was before mistake. As far as the argument that he couldn't have gotten up the hill from where he was I call BS. Up the grass around the tree and back on in the large section with no banners while having momentum. And regardless, anyone remember the race where RC lapped the field? Remember JS needed to go back down the hill, to go up the hill, because he crashed and couldn't get moving forward to make it to the top? They weren't allowed to just cut the track because the obstacle was too difficult without forward momentum. Osborn was already by before he was even back in control of the bike.

Hut
7/23/2017 10:49am
ToolMaker wrote:
Should be a penalty. Had plenty of room and a clearing to re-enter the track just 30 feet ahead of where he went off. He cut...
Should be a penalty. Had plenty of room and a clearing to re-enter the track just 30 feet ahead of where he went off.
He cut a complete section of track to get back in the race in the position where he was before mistake. As far as the argument that he couldn't have gotten up the hill from where he was I call BS. Up the grass around the tree and back on in the large section with no banners while having momentum. And regardless, anyone remember the race where RC lapped the field? Remember JS needed to go back down the hill, to go up the hill, because he crashed and couldn't get moving forward to make it to the top? They weren't allowed to just cut the track because the obstacle was too difficult without forward momentum. Osborn was already by before he was even back in control of the bike.

This is a good argument in favor of a DNF
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
7/23/2017 10:52am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 10:53am
Given the section it happened, I don't think it was a malicious mistake to drop back in where he did. I do think JMart should have let Osborne pass though and hopped in behind him. Osborne was right on him and he should have forfeited the spot at least for the mistake.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
7/23/2017 11:01am
Hut wrote:
Are you saying he couldn't have got back on the track 30ft ahead and still made it up the hill?
TM
7/23/2017 11:19am
I wish they would just change the rule to you must re-enter the track at the point you went off or before that location if it's not safe. I'm a Martin fan but too many guys are taking advantage of the rule. I wouldn't doubt if #6 was wondering if he was in trouble maybe leading up to his crash.
toroP
7/23/2017 11:28am
He made a big mistake and lost no time.
Because he cut the track.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
7/23/2017 11:33am
JustMX wrote:
You know, before you guys post about it, perhaps you should read the rules and understand them. Kzizok, they are not required to reenter where the...
You know, before you guys post about it, perhaps you should read the rules and understand them.

Kzizok, they are not required to reenter where the went off.

That hasn't been the rule since back in the 90's.
PFitzG38 wrote:
^^This
Where did I say they are required to re-enter where they went off?
tcallahan707
7/23/2017 11:48am
I can't get over the fact that some of you think a factory 250f with a 2 time national champ onboard can't get up that hill from a dead stop.
steve_97060
7/23/2017 12:33pm
I can't get over the fact that some of you think a factory 250f with a 2 time national champ onboard can't get up that hill...
I can't get over the fact that some of you think a factory 250f with a 2 time national champ onboard can't get up that hill from a dead stop.
but it's so steep. very. steep.
Huey497
7/23/2017 1:08pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Should be a penalty. Had plenty of room and a clearing to re-enter the track just 30 feet ahead of where he went off. He cut...

This pic does this hill zero justice. It's so steep you couldn't even walk up it. Plus it's kind of a blind section for the other riders coming up the hill. Could be dangerous to pull back out onto the track right there. With that said, he didn't lose any time for his mistake and that's not right.
motomike137
7/23/2017 1:23pm
You can't convince me for one second that he couldn't have come back on the track and made it up the hill. This stuff has gotten way out of hand inho. I don't care that he crashed soon after either, it has no bearing on this. He should have been docked a few positions at the very least.
Hut
7/23/2017 1:32pm
Hut wrote:
ToolMaker wrote:
Are you saying he couldn't have got back on the track 30ft ahead and still made it up the hill?
TM
I am saying he should have done that rather than cut the track. It is a good argument to be disqualified.
KDXGarage
7/23/2017 2:59pm
It will be the responsibility of the Race Director or his designee to determine
whether the rider gained an advantage upon re-entry or failed to slow down after leaving the course
. A rider may be determined to have gained an advantage without gaining a position.

Anyone trying to argue that he did NOT gain an advantage?

For the guy commenting on Savatgy getting a penalty in New Jersey, I have watched all the Nationals. There was no National in New Jersey. I am not sure what kind of non- MOTOCROSS talk you are engaged in, but please check the schedule for events. Thank you. :-)
kiwifan
7/23/2017 3:25pm
I would rather celebrate a Joel victory than bitch about a rider who finished 4th overall about his off track excursion...why do we always have to bitch about the riders doing something wrong?
dkg
7/23/2017 3:55pm
Penalty--> Phil is to be his best man at the upcoming wedding.
RABnasty
7/23/2017 4:01pm
downard254 wrote:
Must be a slow day for some folks. Seems to be a lot of bitching about practically nothing.
Best comment by far! lol Smile
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
7/23/2017 4:08pm
kiwifan wrote:
I would rather celebrate a Joel victory than bitch about a rider who finished 4th overall about his off track excursion...why do we always have to...
I would rather celebrate a Joel victory than bitch about a rider who finished 4th overall about his off track excursion...why do we always have to bitch about the riders doing something wrong?
So anything goes as long as you don't win?

Brilliant.

Post a reply to: What will Jeremy Martin's penalty be?

The Latest