What was your most embarassing racing/riding moment?

EastFlorida
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:05am
For me, it wasn't a moment, but a few months.

In 1980, I installed one of those rear fender/number plate combos on my YZ125 and I had a home made "safety seat". Looking back on it, my bike was a freaking FRANKENSTEIN! I look at those pics today and cringe! ha ha...
|
mxb2
9/1/2011 12:47pm
How much time do you have for my list, LOL!
peelout
9/1/2011 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2011 12:51pm
i was late to staging and my moto was already on the gate and the card was already up, i blitzed onto an empty gate and ripped a fat holeshot, i instantly gapped them by about 5-10 seconds in 5 corners. the guys at the finish flagged me off.

in my mad rush to get to the start, i had gotten there just in time to line up with the women.
njracer46
9/1/2011 12:53pm
Racing a husky 450 for 2 years. Thing did rip holeshots every other moto tho
EastFlorida
9/1/2011 12:53pm
peelout wrote:
i was late to staging and my moto was already on the gate and the card was already up, i blitzed onto an empty gate and...
i was late to staging and my moto was already on the gate and the card was already up, i blitzed onto an empty gate and ripped a fat holeshot, i instantly gapped them by about 5-10 seconds in 5 corners. the guys at the finish flagged me off.

in my mad rush to get to the start, i had gotten there just in time to line up with the women.
At least you ripped the holeshot! ha ha!

The Shop

tbanks
9/1/2011 12:54pm
I raced in Seaford, DE one year and traveled with a couple of my friends. One of my friends raced the same class as me, and we both fought for the holeshot in the first turn only to go down (just me and him). In the confusion I actually picked up his bike and he picked up mine, before we noticed we had each others bike lol. After getting started again, now in last place, I crashed 3 turns later and sure enough my friend crashed into me again (this time he ran me over as well). Seeing as I was not going to win the race I tried to just pass as many possible. On the last lap I went for a pass in the last turn and went down once more. Somehow my friend ran me over again (he followed me through the pack) and then our bikes wouldn't start. So we both pushed them to the finish line. At least I beat him.Grinning
peelout
9/1/2011 12:56pm
peelout wrote:
i was late to staging and my moto was already on the gate and the card was already up, i blitzed onto an empty gate and...

At least you ripped the holeshot! ha ha!
i know right!

a guy from the 0ver 25 B class actually did the same thing last year but he couldn't get past the 4th place chick. it was the funniest damn thing i've ever seen. for some reason they let him run all but the last lap and finally flagged him off, he had made it to 3rd... LOL
SL91
9/1/2011 1:06pm
Racing a Can-Am 250 MX5 in 1979 in Springhill, Nova Scotia when the gas tank mounts broke from vibration (like everything else on that p.o.s.) and the tank flew right off the bike while I was going over a jump. The worst of it was I was leading the moto, so I dnf'ed and got gas all over my new Moto-x Fox pants when the gas line pulled off. The next race I broke the spindly wet noodle that Bombardier calls a swing-arm.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
9/1/2011 1:13pm
Breaking my arm while warming up my bike on the access road behind the track Laughing

It was a night race and my first race on a 125 and I thought I would make sure it was nice and warmed up before the 1st moto. Went down the road next to the track and swapped violently through some big whoops that had formed there that I didn't see till it was too late.

The worst part was getting teased by my dad for the next year about whether or not he should go ahead and pay the sign-up fee or wait until after practice, or him telling me I need to change my training to include riding up and down the street Angry
EastFlorida
9/1/2011 1:15pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Breaking my arm while warming up my bike on the access road behind the track :laugh: It was a night race and my first race on...
Breaking my arm while warming up my bike on the access road behind the track Laughing

It was a night race and my first race on a 125 and I thought I would make sure it was nice and warmed up before the 1st moto. Went down the road next to the track and swapped violently through some big whoops that had formed there that I didn't see till it was too late.

The worst part was getting teased by my dad for the next year about whether or not he should go ahead and pay the sign-up fee or wait until after practice, or him telling me I need to change my training to include riding up and down the street Angry
CLASSIC! Getting hurt at the race but not in the race... geezzz...
EastFlorida
9/1/2011 1:17pm
SL91 wrote:
Racing a Can-Am 250 MX5 in 1979 in Springhill, Nova Scotia when the gas tank mounts broke from vibration (like everything else on that p.o.s.) and...
Racing a Can-Am 250 MX5 in 1979 in Springhill, Nova Scotia when the gas tank mounts broke from vibration (like everything else on that p.o.s.) and the tank flew right off the bike while I was going over a jump. The worst of it was I was leading the moto, so I dnf'ed and got gas all over my new Moto-x Fox pants when the gas line pulled off. The next race I broke the spindly wet noodle that Bombardier calls a swing-arm.
It's funny, we use to see lots of parts fall off bikes back in the day!

Does anyone remember Bob Hannah losing his seat back in 1980 at the Road Atland Trans Am race?
tblazier
9/1/2011 1:17pm
Went out to ride a Demo day at a local MX track in 1993 to try out all the new models. I took a brand new 94 YZ250 out and grabbed a handfull out of a tight corner. The YZ hooked up and looped me out in front of everyone like a total squid. I looked over and the owner of the shop who supplied the bikes was scowling and shaking his head at me. Not my proudest moment.
Sunhouse
9/1/2011 1:18pm
I rode for 4 years before I entered my first race, so I didn´t look like a total newb when I rode. 1st moto - I looped out on the starting gate!! FML.
EastFlorida
9/1/2011 1:20pm
tblazier wrote:
Went out to ride a Demo day at a local MX track in 1993 to try out all the new models. I took a brand new...
Went out to ride a Demo day at a local MX track in 1993 to try out all the new models. I took a brand new 94 YZ250 out and grabbed a handfull out of a tight corner. The YZ hooked up and looped me out in front of everyone like a total squid. I looked over and the owner of the shop who supplied the bikes was scowling and shaking his head at me. Not my proudest moment.
My first day on my new 1983 YZ125 I did a big endo in a field near my house. Two dudes were sitting in a clapped out Camaro watching me ride. They came over and said, "Dude, that was cool!". I told them I think I broke my hand and they throught that was far out! I had to have one of the guys ride my bike back home as I rode in the car with the other dude. All he wanted to know was when I was going to be back out so he could have some frinds come watch!

I actually broke my wrist and couldn't ride for 6 more weeks...

DUH!!!!!
Tbteam
9/1/2011 1:25pm
In 1983 I worked at the Bailey MX School. On my first day there when classes were in session, GB asked me to ride his bike back to the cycle barn. I took off across an open field with no helmet on, saw a foot high log in the tall grass that I tried to wheelie over, but it was on an angle and I swapped/endo'd/nearly killed myself.

Bent the subframe on his CR250, bent the bars, scratched the plastics.

Guess who was in charge of all the bike maintenance? Guess who repaired Gary's bike, even though he had a concussion, out of sheer embarrassment?
mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
9/1/2011 1:40pm
It was 1987, I had a brand new KX500. I hadn't raced since 1980. My best frend and I went down to Washougal for a CMC weekend race. It was one of those very rare 90 degree June days and I was in the +30 Vet Novice class. When I got to the gate I didn't realize it was a two class start and I was the second class. When the gate dropped I ripped off and got a holshot. I came around the second corner and slid out right in front of my friend and family. I got up and took off. I tried my hardest and I don't even remember where I finished (not that it mattered). I got back to the pits and my friend was laughing at me. i thought he was laughing becasue I fell after the holeshot. When he told me I was suppose to go with the second wave of riders on the gate and that I rode in the wrong class I was pretty embarresed. It was bad enough falling in front of people that knew me after a holshot but all for nothing becasue I was in the wrong class, priceless.
MXD
9/1/2011 1:48pm
I am. Therefore, I am embarrassed.
rg4
9/1/2011 2:01pm
This one is for my dad. He and I were racing in a hare scrambles in different class. He was in the over-50 and I was in the over-30 class. He passed me early off when i crashed. On the last lap of the 60 mile race, I passed him back while he was DNF'd on the side of the track. He met me at the finish line and said he had mechanical problems. I suggested he ran out of gas. We took the truck to his abandoned bike, I flipped the petcock to reserve, pushed the button and the KTM fired right up. I reminded my dad of the old sticker from the 80's that read "turn the gas on dummy."
motosmith
9/1/2011 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2011 2:03pm
Showing off in a field at the family reunion in front of about 80 people. Tried to ride a wheelie 4th gear pinned and looped it out.

Also, showing off in front of my friends(notice the common theme) I came up short on a double, and bent the crossbar with my face. Lucky I had a full face helmet on. Still got two black eyes and a concussion.
TX24
9/1/2011 2:03pm
Right before going up to the line a long time ago, I realized my carb boot was not connected to the carb in a good way. After a frantic fix, I rode to the line and just made it for my race. I then realized I had forget my gloves, with no time to go get them.
Outsider
9/1/2011 2:18pm
Waiting in line outside the entrance to Glen Helen for an REM race, I got the "too much coffee + pre race" squirts. The line wasn't moving so I jumped out of my buddies truck and went down off the road behind a dirt mound and made a rather messy pile-O-poo.
At that point, the line started to move and having no TP, I grabbed the nearest thing I could find, a large leaf... well, the leaf was dry and disintegrated on contact... not good... When I got back into the truck my buddy says, "WTF? You've got shit on your pantleg.. and your hand... and... you stink!" BlushLaughingPinch
EastFlorida
9/1/2011 2:32pm
Outsider wrote:
Waiting in line outside the entrance to Glen Helen for an REM race, I got the "too much coffee + pre race" squirts. The line wasn't...
Waiting in line outside the entrance to Glen Helen for an REM race, I got the "too much coffee + pre race" squirts. The line wasn't moving so I jumped out of my buddies truck and went down off the road behind a dirt mound and made a rather messy pile-O-poo.
At that point, the line started to move and having no TP, I grabbed the nearest thing I could find, a large leaf... well, the leaf was dry and disintegrated on contact... not good... When I got back into the truck my buddy says, "WTF? You've got shit on your pantleg.. and your hand... and... you stink!" BlushLaughingPinch
HA HA>>> I just blew my soda out my nose!
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
9/1/2011 2:32pm
FL Winter AM 2009... I raced a vet class that only ran on Saturday, Vet Open I think, that was double gated with the Women. It was the only big bike class that ran Saturday and not Sunday. Anyway, on Sunday I was sitting at my truck waiting for +25 and the Women were about to take off when they starting reading off the results over the PA from the Vet Open/Women class from the day before. I thought they were calling me to the line so I geared up and hauled ass to gate sure that I had misunderstood the class structure. I saw that the gate had already dropped so I took off down the start and onto the track. The class was about half way through there 1st lap when i entered the race. I went 2 laps before being black flagged, only after taking out 2 chicks. My wife still hasnt let that one go.
thekendogg
9/1/2011 2:34pm
At the 2006 Motocross des Nations at Matterley Basin in England, me, my mum and dad, and 2 brothers were there watching. For those who remember, it had rained pretty heavy on the saturday night, leaving the track in not too bad a condition, but spectating areas an absolute mess - a lot of grassy, muddy hills!!

While navigating through the crowd during morning warm-up, my brother slipped and fell on his arse. In sheer embarassment, my dad immediately went over and yanked him back onto his feet. We got him a seat to wipe the mud off of him, to see his leg wouldn't stop shaking. We then realised he had something wrong with his leg and had to get an ambulance to help him. And that was the next challenge - getting the ambulance back up the muddy hill!!

Turned out he had a spiral fracture of his tibia and was in cast for 6-8 weeks, and couldn't ride for a few months. By the time he and my mum got back from hospital, they were only able to see the tail end of the 3rd and final race from the disabled viewers platform!!

How ironic - racing for 10-15 years never breaking a bone in your lower body, only to fall while watching a race and breaking your leg!!
crf250pilot
9/1/2011 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2011 3:06pm
Following an epic day of riding in the desert after a nice hard rain with all my buddies, I decided it would be easier to walk my bike up the ramp into the back of my pickup if I started it up and idled it up the ramp. You can all see where this is going i'm sure. Anyways, the ramp was a ladder type and needless to say when the bike got stuck on one of the rungs, I got wiskey throttle, the bike launched out of my hand and lawn darted right into the back of the cab window, bounced about a foot back and then fell over the side of the truck and onto the ground upside down. Of course everyone was watching. It was kinda cool watching the bike fly like that, except for it being my bike and my truck. Only good thing that came of it was that the window didn't even break. I'm still living that one down.
9/1/2011 2:57pm
Outsider wrote:
Waiting in line outside the entrance to Glen Helen for an REM race, I got the "too much coffee + pre race" squirts. The line wasn't...
Oh my gosh, Thank You! I needed a good laugh.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
9/1/2011 3:14pm
Pulled off on the white flag while leading.Blush
EastFlorida
9/1/2011 3:22pm
I was racing 125 B at Montrose in NC back in 1984.

I fell in the first turn and was way behind. I'm riding like Dungey, all by myself trying to catch up.

Then, at the jump right in front of the scoring tower, in front of all the spectators, and the ambulance, I perform a perfect endo! Hopefully my pic will show, but look at the dirt falling out of my helmet! In the pic, I was moving from right to left.

[/img]
nytsmaC
9/1/2011 3:22pm
A couple of months ago I took an extremely rough line for a big double out of a corner that I'm having trouble clearing tapped in 4th, I came up short by about 5-10ft and shit my pants upon impact. Fortunately I was able to ride straight over to the washroom facility and nobody was the wiser!
Outsider
9/1/2011 3:31pm
nytsmaC wrote:
A couple of months ago I took an extremely rough line for a big double out of a corner that I'm having trouble clearing tapped in...
A couple of months ago I took an extremely rough line for a big double out of a corner that I'm having trouble clearing tapped in 4th, I came up short by about 5-10ft and shit my pants upon impact. Fortunately I was able to ride straight over to the washroom facility and nobody was the wiser!
I LOL'd

Post a reply to: What was your most embarassing racing/riding moment?

The Latest