What was up with no one jumping the Fly 150?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/21/2017 5:52 PM

I would think that the track crew could have fixed whatever was keeping the riders from jumping it. Does anyone know what was going on?

|

5/21/2017 5:53 PM

theinternetkid wrote:

I would think that the track crew could have fixed whatever was keeping the riders from jumping it. Does anyone know what was going on?

Because it was smart for them not to?

|

5/21/2017 5:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2017 5:55 PM

Josh Grant crashed on press day and got lucky that he did not get hurt. That jump is just a little too gnarly, I'm glad it wasn't being jumped.

|

5/21/2017 5:56 PM

theinternetkid wrote:

Tomac mentioned on the pulpmx podcast that the ramp was too steep, making it throw the bikes too high,

|

5/21/2017 5:58 PM

langhammx wrote:

Josh Grant crashed on press day and got lucky that he did not get hurt. That jump is just a little too gnarly, I'm glad it wasn't being jumped.

Ah, that explains it. I didn't catch any of the press day stuff last week, thanks. That crash didn't seem to effect Grant too much, he rode well Saturday.

|

5/21/2017 5:59 PM

They need to make it slower to not jump it if you want guys to risk it all jumping it. risk vs reward. No reward, don't take the risk.

|

5/21/2017 6:01 PM

Izzi jumped it almost every lap. Obviously tv didn't catch it.

|

5/21/2017 6:02 PM

I'm all for big jumps, but I think the 150 and a few others are a little over the top.

If Josh Grant is not cool with it, you bet there are some others who are shitting themselves. How is that good for racing?

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/21/2017 6:06 PM

No train tracks.

|

5/21/2017 6:07 PM

GreaseMeter wrote:

Really? I find that hard to believe but cool if true.

Tomac said it was really deep and before it and it was really steep that you wouldn't go far enough to clear it.

|

5/21/2017 6:08 PM

scott_nz wrote:

Tomac mentioned on the pulpmx podcast that the ramp was too steep, making it throw the bikes too high,

Yep, this and that the corner before wasn't prepped suitable for jumping it.

|

5/21/2017 6:11 PM

Dumb to put in a jump that no one jumps in a race. They could have tested it before hand with a local pro to see if it would work in the race.

|

5/21/2017 6:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2017 7:47 PM

I wonder what JT and Fly's thoughts are on this.

I wouldn't be thrilled to sponsor a jump that people didn't hit... Kinda devalues the idea if Weege can't say "Oh he skies the Fly 150!". I don't recall he really pumping it up much at all..... why would he, it was a 75 foot double and a single......

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

5/21/2017 6:57 PM

The whole track looked tough.

Even from my recliner.

|

5/21/2017 7:03 PM

machine wrote:

Dumb to put in a jump that no one jumps in a race. They could have tested it before hand with a local pro to see if it would work in the race.

Local pro? Sometimes on the top few of the best pros can hit them.

|

5/21/2017 7:08 PM

Nobody jumped it. I was there.

|

5/21/2017 7:11 PM

machine wrote:

imoto34 wrote:

Well thats a choice right?...depends on what they want to accomplish. Either way, they could have found a test rider.

|

5/21/2017 7:40 PM

If the best pro riders in the world don't jump it on a 450 then it is simply to big of a jump! Good for them for not jumping it.

|

5/21/2017 7:58 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

I wonder what JT and Fly's thoughts are on this.

I wouldn't be thrilled to sponsor a jump that people didn't hit... Kinda devalues the idea if Weege can't say "Oh he skies the Fly 150!". I don't recall he really pumping it up much at all..... why would he, it was a 75 foot double and a single......

I didn't even put together that Fly meant the brand and that it was a sponsor.

|

5/21/2017 7:59 PM

GreaseMeter wrote:

jorgechavez wrote:

Really? I find that hard to believe but cool if true.

Tomac said it was really deep and before it and it was really steep that you wouldn't go far enough to clear it.

Hahaha no Izzi definitely didn't, I was near that jump most of the day.

|

MapMoto: Find Motocross Trackshttps://mapmoto.com

5/21/2017 8:04 PM

I would have jumped it.....

|

5/21/2017 8:19 PM

As previously stated: the jump was to much of a wall and not enough of a ramp.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

5/21/2017 8:23 PM

If they don't tweak the one at Glen Helen, no ones jumping that either!

|

5/21/2017 8:25 PM

motodriller wrote:

Even from my recliner.

Add 95 degrees to the track and it gets even gnarlier, IT3 took his helmet off as soon as race was finished...was a hot one for sure!! wasnt too bad though in the DDNMC hospitality area...jus sayin!!

|

5/21/2017 8:39 PM

machine wrote:

imoto34 wrote:

machine wrote:

Well thats a choice right?...depends on what they want to accomplish. Either way, they could have found a test rider.

I've heard quite a few locals hit it when it's open, but the way they prepped the corner and take-off for the national...it just didn't workout.

|

5/21/2017 8:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2017 8:54 PM

Let's say you hit it a dozen times and finish 20 seconds behind Tomac instead of 30...

|

5/21/2017 8:58 PM

Glen Helen has already been mellowed after pro practice almost 2 weeks ago. Couple teams made a call and it was done.

|

5/21/2017 9:11 PM

Fly should just sponsor the Half Pipe.... plenty of coverage there. That jump was a disaster this year, don't understand how it could have been prepped so poorly?

|

5/21/2017 9:15 PM

Do they really need a 150ft jump? I'm just getting old.

|

5/21/2017 9:18 PM

motodriller wrote:

Even from my recliner.

yup

|

Sometimes, Gravity just sucks.