What track deserves a National the most?

Johnny Depp
2/22/2019 6:57am
drt410 wrote:
Since a lot of people agree we need at least 1 more sand track... those couple years Southwick were gone were a travesty to American mx...
Since a lot of people agree we need at least 1 more sand track... those couple years Southwick were gone were a travesty to American mx, what are the best sand tracks in the US? I honestly dont really know of any. What are some legit deep sand tracks in the US and which could hold a national?
Red Rock TX, it's been shuttered for a year now, and it was only a practice track (AS29, ET3, KR94) with insufficient infrastructure for a National. It never got enough practice support from locals, most rode there once and loaded up after 2 laps never to return. It was sand so deep it was for real men only. Legit track in a beautiful setting.

https://www.mkt.com/redrockmx
drt410
2/22/2019 8:43am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2019 8:44am
drt410 wrote:
Since a lot of people agree we need at least 1 more sand track... those couple years Southwick were gone were a travesty to American mx...
Since a lot of people agree we need at least 1 more sand track... those couple years Southwick were gone were a travesty to American mx, what are the best sand tracks in the US? I honestly dont really know of any. What are some legit deep sand tracks in the US and which could hold a national?
Red Rock TX, it's been shuttered for a year now, and it was only a practice track (AS29, ET3, KR94) with insufficient infrastructure for a National...
Red Rock TX, it's been shuttered for a year now, and it was only a practice track (AS29, ET3, KR94) with insufficient infrastructure for a National. It never got enough practice support from locals, most rode there once and loaded up after 2 laps never to return. It was sand so deep it was for real men only. Legit track in a beautiful setting.

https://www.mkt.com/redrockmx
So that closed. Any legit deep sand tracks in the us besides southwick? If not we need some. I cant really imagine a new sand track opening as these days its about jumps and nice dirt, but itd be great if some did.
uk125250
2/22/2019 10:11am
IDMegaMoto wrote:
Kenworthy's in Troy Ohio was an awesome national track that was dropped off the schedule because it was too "jumpy".for its time....fast forward to now...most of...
Kenworthy's in Troy Ohio was an awesome national track that was dropped off the schedule because it was too "jumpy".for its time....fast forward to now...most of the national tracks have been build into what Kenworthy's was. Too bad...not many of the current tracks have a face or personality to them...Don Kenworthy was a great face of motocross, and built an awesome track out of a useless cornfield on the side of a riverbed.
Best soil ever.

The Shop

Moto Mofo
2/22/2019 11:07am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2019 11:09am
jingram4 wrote:
Cycle Ranch- Floresville, TX , 30 mins outside downtown San Antonio
You mean CYCUL RANCH? I'm sure Kerry Harris Satellite is chomping at the bits to be the headline sponsor. Woohoo
jingram4 wrote:
If a big sponsor like VP which headquarters are down the road stepped in. and Ian grae the track owner owns 50 acres adjoining the track...
If a big sponsor like VP which headquarters are down the road stepped in. and Ian grae the track owner owns 50 acres adjoining the track for parking and pits. It could be done. Just need a big promoter and sponsors to kick start.
Ian sold it, luckily. That guy pissed off almost every single dedicated Cycle Ranch rider, in the process of running that place into the ground. It’s a good thing that he is out of the picture.

Cycle Ranch was VERY close to getting a national in 2007... it came down to them and Freestone. Some of the primary complaints about CR included the narrow county road leading to the gate, and that at the time they didn’t have adequate “infrastructure.” In the end, Freestone got the race and Steve Burns (original CR owner, who also founded VP Racing Fuels and still owned it at the time) lost interest in owning the track... his ultimate goal when it was first opened to the public was to someday host a National.

Haven’t been to Cycle Ranch in several years, as I moved away from the area. But if they can get it back to it’s former glory, it’s my pick for a National, hands down.
zehn
2/22/2019 12:07pm
drt410 wrote:
Club MX has an awesomely gnarly sand track. I would love to see them run a National there
bonseff
2/22/2019 4:20pm
Texas misses you, Nationals! Come back! Just schedule us in earlier rounds.

(Also, *pours a little out for Lake Whitney GNCs from back in the day, dammit i miss that place.)
MW19
2/22/2019 5:55pm
zehn wrote:
Club MX has an awesomely gnarly sand track. I would love to see them run a National there
Club would be an awesome track! However spectator visibility would be pretty bad there.
FIREfish148
2/22/2019 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2019 6:17pm
IDMegaMoto wrote:
Kenworthy's in Troy Ohio was an awesome national track that was dropped off the schedule because it was too "jumpy".for its time....fast forward to now...most of...
Kenworthy's in Troy Ohio was an awesome national track that was dropped off the schedule because it was too "jumpy".for its time....fast forward to now...most of the national tracks have been build into what Kenworthy's was. Too bad...not many of the current tracks have a face or personality to them...Don Kenworthy was a great face of motocross, and built an awesome track out of a useless cornfield on the side of a riverbed.
Kenworthy's flooded twice if im not mistaken, right? I remember the one time it for sure did there was an article about it in racer x that said "Bring your jet skis!" Pretty sure it was the same year GL grenaded his rear wheel at steel city. That place did look like a great place to ride though. Always reminded me of a track we used to have here called Trulson's.
That track in Maine looks badass. That one gets my vote, Swan in a close second.
wfo4ever
2/22/2019 10:48pm
WW Motocross Park should have a National every year. The track and facility is first class and amazing!!! The owner Wayne Jr. and his family are hard working and very nice people. It is also in a great location for the southeast.
HusqFan3
2/22/2019 10:56pm
kx254f wrote:
Hemond's MX wicked friggen up there in Maine. Where the men treat their women to the 4-piece Russel Stover on valentines day :silly: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/20/326697/s1200_Facility_Aerial.jpg[/img]
Hemond's MX wicked friggen up there in Maine. Where the men treat their women to the 4-piece Russel Stover on valentines day Silly

HusqFan3 wrote:
Wow- looks epic... too bad I’m in Seattle so most likely won’t be near there with my bike in tow anytime soon...
kx254f wrote:
We're looking into setting up bike rentals with Factory Connection suspension options based on rider weight and ability. You might not need a bike in tow...
We're looking into setting up bike rentals with Factory Connection suspension options based on rider weight and ability. You might not need a bike in tow to spin a few laps. If you're ever up this way, give me a shout. I'll set you up for an afternoon!
Appreciate the generous offer! I may just have to take you up on that one of these days.

Funny you mention it actually because i was just thinking while reading about all these great tracks I’ve never ridden how fortunate say golfers have it. They can fly into virtually any course on the planet and have their clubs shipped and waiting on them or rent some at the course. Contrast that with MX and it’s just not feasible to ship a bike and 99% of tracks don’t offer bikes for rent. So you’re pretty much resigned to riding whatever tracks are within a few hours drive from wherever you happen to live. Sucks because i have a bucket list of tracks a mile long and growing...
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
2/23/2019 5:17am
HusqFan3 wrote:
Wow- looks epic... too bad I’m in Seattle so most likely won’t be near there with my bike in tow anytime soon...
kx254f wrote:
We're looking into setting up bike rentals with Factory Connection suspension options based on rider weight and ability. You might not need a bike in tow...
We're looking into setting up bike rentals with Factory Connection suspension options based on rider weight and ability. You might not need a bike in tow to spin a few laps. If you're ever up this way, give me a shout. I'll set you up for an afternoon!
HusqFan3 wrote:
Appreciate the generous offer! I may just have to take you up on that one of these days. Funny you mention it actually because i was...
Appreciate the generous offer! I may just have to take you up on that one of these days.

Funny you mention it actually because i was just thinking while reading about all these great tracks I’ve never ridden how fortunate say golfers have it. They can fly into virtually any course on the planet and have their clubs shipped and waiting on them or rent some at the course. Contrast that with MX and it’s just not feasible to ship a bike and 99% of tracks don’t offer bikes for rent. So you’re pretty much resigned to riding whatever tracks are within a few hours drive from wherever you happen to live. Sucks because i have a bucket list of tracks a mile long and growing...
Me Too if i Ever win the Lottery i will just buy a toy hauler RV
And a bunch of Bikes and Travel the country to Tracks all over,
Hows this For a Business idea ,Buy a RV and Trailer
And All of The Big Six Brand 450's and 250's And Travel The usa going to Different Tracks in different states Every week
And of Course Ride yourself for Fun
But have 450' and 250' shoot out at every track i go to
And Charge a reasonable amount for local people to be in the shootout
I think it would be cool to make it a shoot out and actually get everybodys opinions of the bikes , like on paper and maybe even on a YouTube video,
But if someone just wanted to try all the bikes just have a fee for just that,
May not be profitable but if it was just sustainable i would do it, sounds Awesome to me Smile
Cademx14
2/23/2019 6:07am
I’m shocked nobody has mentioned Lincoln Train in Casey IL. It is centrally located, has a great rider and fan base, the owners are well known and recognized by the AMA?? Most importantly the location is near enough cities with lodging to support the influx of fans!! The Bomber track was designed by the famed Mark Barnett. Now Monster Mountain, absolutely wonderful track, great soil, world class!! But it has a new owner, and logistically it would be a struggle, however Montgomery isn’t that far away and could handle the lodging necessary to support a National
wnorton729
Fantasy
1931st
2/23/2019 6:48am
Being from Texas and have rode all the "best" tracks here.. Freestone, hands down the gnarliest track here also with the most space. I think the only downfall is, it's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. SWAN is a great track, but to me it just doesn't give me that National caliber feel. I'm kinda surprised SWAN is getting more votes than Oakhill really... The facility may be nicer but Oakhill track hands down is SWEET. Cycle Ranch would be the 2nd best to me, if it was back to it's prime. Call me crazy but I've always thought Rio Bravo would be sweet. Although closed now, Lots of natural terrain and a awesome flow track going in and out of the creek. Of course, major track changes would have to take place, and possibly see if Houston Motorsports Park would allow some access for pitting and parking.. but it could happen.
Indy mxer
2/23/2019 8:28am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2019 8:29am
Cademx14 wrote:
I’m shocked nobody has mentioned Lincoln Train in Casey IL. It is centrally located, has a great rider and fan base, the owners are well known...
I’m shocked nobody has mentioned Lincoln Train in Casey IL. It is centrally located, has a great rider and fan base, the owners are well known and recognized by the AMA?? Most importantly the location is near enough cities with lodging to support the influx of fans!! The Bomber track was designed by the famed Mark Barnett. Now Monster Mountain, absolutely wonderful track, great soil, world class!! But it has a new owner, and logistically it would be a struggle, however Montgomery isn’t that far away and could handle the lodging necessary to support a National
LTM is my favorite track, I live about an hour from there. Tim the owner is a great dude. Really cares about his track. That said, he doesn't have the room or infrastructure to pull one off. Plus it's too close to the Ironman.

Same with MM. great track and people, but not near enough room. Getting in and out would be a nightmare too.
TedNugent
2/23/2019 5:12pm
Angel Ridge in Oklahoma. Don’t know if it’s still open or not.
TedNugent
2/23/2019 5:25pm
wfo4ever wrote:
WW Motocross Park should have a National every year. The track and facility is first class and amazing!!! The owner Wayne Jr. and his family are...
WW Motocross Park should have a National every year. The track and facility is first class and amazing!!! The owner Wayne Jr. and his family are hard working and very nice people. It is also in a great location for the southeast.
WW is a top notch facility and Wayne and his wife are very nice and deserving people. Always have to hit WW while in Florida
mxbrian15
2/23/2019 6:19pm
WW, Gatorback, or Florida Tracks and Trails.
2/23/2019 10:55pm
TedNugent wrote:
WW is a top notch facility and Wayne and his wife are very nice and deserving people. Always have to hit WW while in Florida
WW is a good track, but it will stink for spectators. IMO I don't think any pool table flat track should host a national, less interesting on TV and terrible in person. Hope they roll in or already have some huge grandstands, or good luck watching that one corner all day!
TedNugent
2/24/2019 3:50pm
TedNugent wrote:
WW is a good track, but it will stink for spectators. IMO I don't think any pool table flat track should host a national, less interesting...
WW is a good track, but it will stink for spectators. IMO I don't think any pool table flat track should host a national, less interesting on TV and terrible in person. Hope they roll in or already have some huge grandstands, or good luck watching that one corner all day!
Can’t argue with that
LastCall211
2/24/2019 4:59pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Mammoth I really don't have concerns about the logistics...it's just an awesome track at 8,000 ft above sea level. It's been run for OVER FIFTY YEARS...
Mammoth

I really don't have concerns about the logistics...it's just an awesome track at 8,000 ft above sea level. It's been run for OVER FIFTY YEARS...

And it's Honest to God "Motocross".
gnarwhip wrote:
Dude it’s a pain in the ass just to get in to the track on normal race weekend. That one lane road with a few turnouts...
Dude it’s a pain in the ass just to get in to the track on normal race weekend. That one lane road with a few turnouts and busses wizzing by each other. Imagine that x10.
No different than Budds
docweedon
2/26/2019 1:34pm
Carlsbad Raceway and Saddleback get my vote!
kx254f
2/26/2019 7:17pm
HusqFan3 wrote:
kx254f wrote:
HusqFan3 wrote:
Appreciate the generous offer! I may just have to take you up on that one of these days. Funny you mention it actually because i was...

Yea that's the tough thing about our sport. I spend a lot of time and money on bike setup so renting anything would feel foreign. I've never rented a bike but have looked into it almost everywhere I've traveled. If we end up providing bike rentals, I would strive to help each renter be as comfortable as possible setting sag and adjusting bars/levers and would rent race-ready bikes because my OCD wouldn't allow for anything less.

2/26/2019 8:23pm
Lets face it, there are plenty of great tracks all over the USA, but it's all about spectating. It's a rare case for a track to have both.
mh226
2/26/2019 8:40pm
I've seen a lot of talk about Baja Acres in here. This is my home track and I've pounded out numerous laps at the facility. Logistically it makes sense, easy access being located outside of Flint and a short drive off of I-75. The track can be national caliber when Pat does it up right.

HOWEVER, As long a Red Bud continues to operate this will never happen. The spectating areas are not the greatest at Baja, and Parking would be a major concern.

Sorry west coast guys but California has way too many races...

The South-East round is a great addition by DC and crew. Hopefully they try a few facilities down there and find a long standing home in the coming years.
kaptkaos
2/27/2019 6:12am
mxbrian15 wrote:
WW, Gatorback, or Florida Tracks and Trails.
Florida Tracks and Trails for sure!

It has everything on the list, except money!
Dropbear
2/28/2019 1:56am
drt410 wrote:
Surely Florida has something?

Post a reply to: What track deserves a National the most?

The Latest