What to look for on newer used 450s?

Alec138
Have been very interested lately in the newer yz450f bikes (2015/16 models to be exact) as I have found plently right in my price range and it is new enough to have had all the kinks worked out. Will be my 1st ever fuel injected bike along with it being above a 10’ model bike.

Anyways I am set to go look at possibly 2 450f’s this weekend and I want a good list of things to check on these bikes so it isnt a money pit. Im after a bike I can take home and do nothing to for awhile besides basic maintenance and making it mine. So what are some stuff on these bikes I look for? Anything detailed or specific? I know to look for any cracks in the motor/frame and check filters and do a general look over the bike...

Thanks for any advic/tips as these newer bikes are foreign to me.
|
Alec138
9/26/2018 4:44pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Are you going to look at yz's?
Yeah. Kinda missed that in the post but yeah.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/26/2018 4:50pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Alec138 wrote:
I saw you said you were interested in yz's, but wasn't sure that's what you were actually going to look at.

Pop the air box cover off and look for dirt in the bottom of it. That'll tell you how well they've cleaned it. Look in the oil sight glass on the left side of the motor to see how bad the oil is. You already know where to check the frame for cracks I'm sure. Check all the spokes. Check the adjuster bolts to make sure haven't frozen in the swingarm. Try to pull the seat to see if they've thoroughly cleaned under the seat and the tank area. Check the chain slide and guide. Check wear points on the frame. If you have access to a tuner, take it with you to check hours on the bikes.
kb228
9/26/2018 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 5:20pm
You look at the same stuff as any other bike. Make sure theyre cold and clean when you get there. Check the air filter. Start it up and note the kicks required to do it. More than 4 cold id be concerned. Let it warm up and take it thru all the gears. Park it and look underneath for leaks. Smell the exhaust and make sure its burning clean. Look at the overall condition of it. Yea theyre ridden in mud and wrecked but anyone who takes care of a bike will have everything in tip top shape.

The Shop

H4L
9/26/2018 7:38pm
Best advice I can give anyone is the hrs.. Personally I wouldn't buy a used 4t with over 10 hrs. on an hr. meter. That MO has worked for me in the past 10 yrs. & haven't had any issues when buying a used thumper. The only thing I've done before my initial ride is check the bolts, lube the pivot points & change the fluids. Good luck on your purchase.
NeedMoto
9/26/2018 8:26pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Alec138 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I saw you said you were interested in yz's, but wasn't sure that's what you were actually going to look at. Pop the air box cover...
I saw you said you were interested in yz's, but wasn't sure that's what you were actually going to look at.

Pop the air box cover off and look for dirt in the bottom of it. That'll tell you how well they've cleaned it. Look in the oil sight glass on the left side of the motor to see how bad the oil is. You already know where to check the frame for cracks I'm sure. Check all the spokes. Check the adjuster bolts to make sure haven't frozen in the swingarm. Try to pull the seat to see if they've thoroughly cleaned under the seat and the tank area. Check the chain slide and guide. Check wear points on the frame. If you have access to a tuner, take it with you to check hours on the bikes.
Damn Matty, I won't be able to sell a bike to you, your way to thorough J/K

Good list and I would recommend the same thing.
Alec138
9/26/2018 8:31pm
Alec138 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I saw you said you were interested in yz's, but wasn't sure that's what you were actually going to look at. Pop the air box cover...

NeedMoto wrote:

Found a 17 yz450f with 35-40hrs on it since new for 4k. Guy wants to sell it to put a down payment on a 19’ ktm. Guy sounds legit as far as talking to him over the phone and such. Bike is all stock he said given suspension is setup for 175 and i weigh 200+. So it will need stifening up some for the woods if i get it.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/26/2018 9:40pm
Alec138 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:

NeedMoto wrote:

Haha!!! Those things tell you how well it was taken care of, which I’m sure you already knew lol. I go through my bikes thoroughly as well as the bikes that I work on for my side business. Just want everyone to know my stuff ya taken care of and I look for that same stuff on used bikes. Some of those are red flags, especially the dirt in the bottom of the air box on the new yz’s and any bike for that matter. To me, if someone isn’t thoroughly cleaning out their air box, what else are they skipping on?
BR8ES
9/26/2018 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 10:15pm
Suspension-If you are riding woods, then it should be fine or at least pretty close. One other thing, if the foot pegs have slop, then there is a lot of hours too.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/26/2018 10:17pm
BR8ES wrote:
Suspension-If you are riding woods, then it should be fine or at least pretty close. One other thing, if the foot pegs have slop, then there...
Suspension-If you are riding woods, then it should be fine or at least pretty close. One other thing, if the foot pegs have slop, then there is a lot of hours too.
I was going to say the same thing about the suspension.
wisey
Fantasy
1341st
9/26/2018 10:18pm
What others have said (cracked frame) also, at 40 hours there shouldn't be much roost marks on fork legs, front plate, front brake line. Check the wheels to make sure they are not bent. Check bolt heads on cylinder to see if they've removed. Check to see for substantial amount of smoke from pipe when you start it. Before riding make sure the axel bolts are tight (I happen to find the front nut missing before test riding?)
Check the vin # on bike to the pink.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/26/2018 10:23pm
wisey wrote:
What others have said (cracked frame) also, at 40 hours there shouldn't be much roost marks on fork legs, front plate, front brake line. Check the...
What others have said (cracked frame) also, at 40 hours there shouldn't be much roost marks on fork legs, front plate, front brake line. Check the wheels to make sure they are not bent. Check bolt heads on cylinder to see if they've removed. Check to see for substantial amount of smoke from pipe when you start it. Before riding make sure the axel bolts are tight (I happen to find the front nut missing before test riding?)
Check the vin # on bike to the pink.
Good add in stuff to check out!

Oh and OP, look for mismatched bolts!

Post a reply to: What to look for on newer used 450s?

The Latest