What to do in Phoenix?

JG2
1/9/2012 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:20pm
My awesome girlfriend surprised me with 2 plane tickets and race tickets for Phoenix!!

We have a little bit of time - what do you guys think we should see for local sights? (or is it all wrinkly old Canadian snowbirds and golf courses?)
|
jasonv43
1/9/2012 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2012 10:31pm
What day are you flying in? If you are coming in Friday you can head over to Mill Ave. Friday night. Plenty of restaurants / bars / clubs over there to check out. There is a couple different places downtown too. I haven't been out there in a few years but I remember that Jacks on 3rd was good, there is a Hard Rock and Cooperstown (Alice Cooper owns it) as well. Oh and a Hooters close by. For the day of the races you have all of those same places by the stadium downtown plus they close a lot of the streets down and it's one huge block party. I believe that the pit access is part of your ticket so you don't have to pay extra for that. Although the pits were starting to get way too crowded the last time we were there. If you really want to be a baller you can make a reservation inside the stadium at TGI Friday's which overlooks the track. You have to make reservations and it's a little spendy and crowded but still pretty cool. They have tables overlooking the track and you can watch practice while you eat and have a few cold ones.

I'm sure there is more and like I said it's been a few years so maybe somebody else can chime in.

Oh yeah, if you go over to Mill Ave. make sure to hit up a place called the Library. It's not your normal library either.Wink
GHR
1/9/2012 10:56pm
(Since you have your girl with you) if you want a nice oldschool, REAL mafia hang out with red walls steak house where you walk in from the back into the kitchen first from the parking lot, go to Durants. Google it for phone number and make a reservation. You cant go wrong and your chick will dig it. Prime rib, steak and wine place is legit.

And Jasonv43 nailed it on TGI Fridays for lunch over looking practice track inside stadium....thats cool.
Faceaz
1/10/2012 6:30am
Maybe you should reward her with some trips to Strip Clubs - Bourbon Street really good. LOL... Never now, maybe she's into it.
kardy
1/10/2012 6:50am
Rent mountain bikes at Slippery Pig bike shop and go ride. Tons of awesome trails in the area.

The Shop

flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
1/10/2012 7:17am
Hike Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale. Check out Mill ave in Tempe, and do some bar hopping. Also, spend some time in Old Town Scottsdale shops, bars, and restaurants. Maybe check out Scottsdale Fashion Square. I personally wouldn't spend too much time in Phoenix. Scottsdale and Tempe are the places to be.
drmarkr
1/10/2012 7:36am
Do you like to ride moto and shoot guns??

PM me if so......
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3092nd
1/10/2012 7:51am
flyinb501 wrote:
Hike Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale. Check out Mill ave in Tempe, and do some bar hopping. Also, spend some time in Old Town Scottsdale shops, bars...
Hike Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale. Check out Mill ave in Tempe, and do some bar hopping. Also, spend some time in Old Town Scottsdale shops, bars, and restaurants. Maybe check out Scottsdale Fashion Square. I personally wouldn't spend too much time in Phoenix. Scottsdale and Tempe are the places to be.
This. Scottsdale and North Tempe are the places to be -- Phoenix doesn't compare IMO. Checking out Old Town Scottsdale will probably be a winner with the girl -- and also Mill Av. like everyone is saying. They are all close in driving distance and right outside Phoenix.
BK
1/10/2012 7:52am
GHR wrote:
(Since you have your girl with you) if you want a nice oldschool, REAL mafia hang out with red walls steak house where you walk in...
(Since you have your girl with you) if you want a nice oldschool, REAL mafia hang out with red walls steak house where you walk in from the back into the kitchen first from the parking lot, go to Durants. Google it for phone number and make a reservation. You cant go wrong and your chick will dig it. Prime rib, steak and wine place is legit.

And Jasonv43 nailed it on TGI Fridays for lunch over looking practice track inside stadium....thats cool.
Durants is Phx history. Great food and atmosphere.
motosb
Fantasy
46th
1/10/2012 9:51am
bring your RC car and head to SRS. Drive all night and get to see the track they have the cactus classic. That will
put you in the perfect mood to watch moto the following day!

Cant wait!!!!
SoCalMX70
1/10/2012 9:54am Edited Date/Time 1/10/2012 9:55am
Best strip clubs you'll ever find. All the local college talent work em... Not that I would know that.... Whistling

On a more serious note, as mentioned above Mill Ave is where it's at.
Highsider
1/10/2012 10:09am
This^^^
All us out-of-towners need to be advised of the lite rails at every SX stop.
San Diego has it, St. Louis has it, Phoenix has it, etc.
SoCalMX70
1/10/2012 10:14am
Highsider wrote:
This^^^ All us out-of-towners need to be advised of the lite rails at every SX stop. San Diego has it, St. Louis has it, Phoenix has...
This^^^
All us out-of-towners need to be advised of the lite rails at every SX stop.
San Diego has it, St. Louis has it, Phoenix has it, etc.
True, although the San Diego one is a nightmare imo. Last year my group was split on whether to take the rail or drive from our hotel.. Last minute we decided to drive. When leaving the stadium after the race (in the rain I mght add) we looked over and saw a massive crowd of people standing around just waiting for the next train. We got out of the stadium in probably 10 minutes in the car.

That was one experience though. It might be better than what I perceived.
mx356
1/10/2012 10:52am
flyinb501 wrote:
Hike Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale. Check out Mill ave in Tempe, and do some bar hopping. Also, spend some time in Old Town Scottsdale shops, bars...
I agree with flyinb, Camelback Mountain is a good little hike with some nice views of the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. So hit that up if you have a car and then go to the sports bar called Goldies in Scottsdale for some good drinks and wings
crf250pilot
1/10/2012 11:00am
drmarkr wrote:
Do you like to ride moto and shoot guns??

PM me if so......
I do.
Friday
1/10/2012 11:25am
What is a good hotel to stay at within walking distance of the stadium. Once I'm in a town,i hate driving around. Especially if I choose to have a drink.
crf250pilot
1/10/2012 11:41am
Friday wrote:
What is a good hotel to stay at within walking distance of the stadium. Once I'm in a town,i hate driving around. Especially if I choose...
What is a good hotel to stay at within walking distance of the stadium. Once I'm in a town,i hate driving around. Especially if I choose to have a drink.
I don't think you want to be at any of the hotels near the stadium or even walking around there after dark is scary.
BK
1/10/2012 11:42am
Friday wrote:
What is a good hotel to stay at within walking distance of the stadium. Once I'm in a town,i hate driving around. Especially if I choose...
Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin, W, Marriott, there are plenty of hotels right downtown within a few blocks of the stadium.
BK
1/10/2012 11:44am
Friday wrote:
I don't think you want to be at any of the hotels near the stadium or even walking around there after dark is scary.
Guess you don't get downtown much huh? Most of downtown night life is ASU extended campus students (on non-event nights). Those broadcasting students can get unruly at times...LOL.
crf250pilot
1/10/2012 11:59am
Friday wrote:
BK wrote:
Guess you don't get downtown much huh? Most of downtown night life is ASU extended campus students (on non-event nights). Those broadcasting students can get unruly...
Guess you don't get downtown much huh? Most of downtown night life is ASU extended campus students (on non-event nights). Those broadcasting students can get unruly at times...LOL.
Born and raised in S.Phx and after 40 yrs i stil stay away from downtown. it's always been a mess down there.
BK
1/10/2012 12:05pm
BK wrote:
Guess you don't get downtown much huh? Most of downtown night life is ASU extended campus students (on non-event nights). Those broadcasting students can get unruly...
Born and raised in S.Phx and after 40 yrs i stil stay away from downtown. it's always been a mess down there.
You coming to SX ride day at Motoland on Friday?
crf250pilot
1/10/2012 12:47pm
Ya, sounds like fun. I'll bring the yz144 out if anyone wants to take a spin on it.
JG2
1/10/2012 1:11pm
We are staying at the Hyatt Regency - 3? blocks from Chase Field...are we ok walking back to the hotel after the race? is it sketchy gangbangers or ASU hotties wandering around there at night?

Thanks for all the tips guys - much appreciated. Dr, Markr, I would love to ride moto and shoot guns but my GF does not so I will have to pass on your gracious offer.

The one thing that annoys the Hell out of me (and I truly believe in "caveat emptor" or buyer beware) is that in her attempt to surprise me my lovely but naive GF went to www.supercross.com, hit the "buy tickets" link, and got royally, royally screwed by Get Seats.com or some other bullshit ticket broker. She paid double when we could have had the seats next to us for face value. Kind of a piss off - I guess Supercross,com must get a kickback or something, i can't see why else they would link to a site like that. If anyone from Supercross.com is reading this...thanks for nothing!
lucero10x
1/10/2012 1:25pm
JG2 wrote:
We are staying at the Hyatt Regency - 3? blocks from Chase Field...are we ok walking back to the hotel after the race? is it sketchy...
We are staying at the Hyatt Regency - 3? blocks from Chase Field...are we ok walking back to the hotel after the race? is it sketchy gangbangers or ASU hotties wandering around there at night?

Thanks for all the tips guys - much appreciated. Dr, Markr, I would love to ride moto and shoot guns but my GF does not so I will have to pass on your gracious offer.

The one thing that annoys the Hell out of me (and I truly believe in "caveat emptor" or buyer beware) is that in her attempt to surprise me my lovely but naive GF went to www.supercross.com, hit the "buy tickets" link, and got royally, royally screwed by Get Seats.com or some other bullshit ticket broker. She paid double when we could have had the seats next to us for face value. Kind of a piss off - I guess Supercross,com must get a kickback or something, i can't see why else they would link to a site like that. If anyone from Supercross.com is reading this...thanks for nothing!
There should be a sea of people walking around getting to wherever they parked their cars and there are always plenty of cops around after that race.

As far as what to do, I always like to grab the local alt rag whenever I travel, grab a taxi and check out some local live music. There are always a couple interesting venues in Phoenix especially on a Friday night. Since me and my wife will have our two kids with us we are going to have to head straight back to the hotel and put them to sleep. But hey, the race is going to be epic, right?
yosmithy
1/10/2012 1:50pm
They BBQ Burro's too
appleboy
1/10/2012 1:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2012 10:17pm
drmarkr
1/10/2012 3:25pm
Friday wrote:
Stay east out around Tempe and ride the light rail in.
flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
1/11/2012 10:29am
JG2 wrote:
We are staying at the Hyatt Regency - 3? blocks from Chase Field...are we ok walking back to the hotel after the race? is it sketchy...

Don't expect to see any ASU hotties in Phoenix. Head to mill avenue in Tempe for that. Phoenix is pretty lame.. Scottsdale and Tempe is where all the action is.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
1/11/2012 10:35am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2012 10:35am
Here's an after-race option.

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
1/11/2012 10:38am
Here's another post-race chance.

Chris Blose Phoenix Supercross After Party @ Rockbar Inc. In Old Town Scottsdale, Jan 14th!!! Presented by N-Star Designs & RockBar inc!! There will be special guests appearances. Phoenix Sx being Chris's home race will make for one eventful night! Chris Blose #47
Special Thanks to:
NStar
RockBar Inc
http://rockbarscottsdale.com/
4245 N Craftsman Court, Scottsdale AZ
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
1/11/2012 11:14am
I have only been to Phoenix a couple of times. I even forget the name of streets and businesses. But, maybe one of you guys can recall the name of a place I had a good time at and some good food. It was outside Chandler, maybe 15 min. I think it was Cowboy town or something like that. I had a good time there and I figured a couple of Canadians might get a kick out of it as well. The food was excellent the whole place was for nothing but entertainment. It is something you wouldn't find anywhere else.

Post a reply to: What to do in Phoenix?

The Latest