What to consider a "hard hit" (helmets)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/10/2017 8:14 PM

I'm getting older, and going home in one piece is my main goal. I know the saying, "$10 head, $10 helmet", so I run a Bell Moto 9. That being said, money still does not grow on trees. I understand that when a helmet has a hard impact, it should be retired.

What do you all use to gauge the impact? I do know they make devices that go on the helmet, which help with that - I think I will get one for my next lid. But, for now all I have is my gut.

I've smacked my head in this helmet a few times, had my bell rung, but nothing serious. No concussions, no cracks in the helmet or deformities in the foam. I've had enough small ones, and have gotten 3 years out of the helmet, that I'm leaning towards a new one just to be safe.

How do you all make that decision?

|

7/10/2017 8:21 PM

If you have to question if it should be replaced, then replace it. That's what we always did.

|

7/10/2017 8:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2017 2:13 AM

Any time I've been knocked out , quit for the day ( head ach related, saw stars , or had my ears ring). I would have retired a helmet. I also check to see if it fits differently after the crash. If it takes any kind of damage to the shell that isnt a small scratch , I would change personally change it. I have retired a helmet after 3 rides before.The helmet previously mentioned looks new still. Just figure you can replace a helmet , you cannot replace a brain. If the helmet seems broken or worn out,then its time to replace it. You should get yourself a good helmet, you deserve it.

|

7/10/2017 9:27 PM

Brent_Apodaca wrote:

Any time I've been knocked out , quit for the day ( head ach related, saw stars , or had my ears ring). I would have retired a helmet. I also check to see if it fits differently after the crash. If it takes any kind of damage to the shell that isnt a small scratch , I would change personally change it. I have retired a helmet after 3 rides before.The helmet previously mentioned looks new still. Just figure you can replace a helmet , you cannot replace a brain. If the helmet seems broken or worn out,then its time to replace it. You should get yourself a good helmet, you deserve it.

Solid advice but man, your grammar makes me wonder if you should have retired a few helmets sooner. Come on man, take some pride in yourself.

|

7/10/2017 9:31 PM

Contact Bell & see if they service their helmets: send it in and find out...when they look it over.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

7/10/2017 9:34 PM

Anytime the helmet is the first to hit, I call it done. Sucks when that happens to a $300+ helmet but it's not worth it to chance.

|

7/10/2017 10:07 PM

TXDirt wrote:

If you have to question if it should be replaced, then replace it. That's what we always did.

I was going to say the same thing. If you're debating whether it might be time to change your helmet, it's probably best to change it anyway

|

7/10/2017 10:17 PM

Spagina767 wrote:

I'm getting older, and going home in one piece is my main goal. I know the saying, "$10 head, $10 helmet", so I run a Bell Moto 9. That being said, money still does not grow on trees. I understand that when a helmet has a hard impact, it should be retired.

What do you all use to gauge the impact? I do know they make devices that go on the helmet, which help with that - I think I will get one for my next lid. But, for now all I have is my gut.

I've smacked my head in this helmet a few times, had my bell rung, but nothing serious. No concussions, no cracks in the helmet or deformities in the foam. I've had enough small ones, and have gotten 3 years out of the helmet, that I'm leaning towards a new one just to be safe.

How do you all make that decision?

I could direct you to some insane deals on Moto 9's if you want, just pm me.

|

7/11/2017 1:27 AM

Brent_Apodaca wrote:

Any time I've been knocked out , quit for the day ( head ach related, saw stars , or had my ears ring). I would have retired a helmet. I also check to see if it fits differently after the crash. If it takes any kind of damage to the shell that isnt a small scratch , I would change personally change it. I have retired a helmet after 3 rides before.The helmet previously mentioned looks new still. Just figure you can replace a helmet , you cannot replace a brain. If the helmet seems broken or worn out,then its time to replace it. You should get yourself a good helmet, you deserve it.

tcallahan707 wrote:

Solid advice but man, your grammar makes me wonder if you should have retired a few helmets sooner. Come on man, take some pride in yourself.

Fixed , it was late at night.

|

7/11/2017 4:40 AM

Bell rung = shelf for the helmet

|

7/11/2017 5:45 AM

Arai recommend replacing your helmet 7 years after date of manufacture and 5 years after date of purchase to maintain the maximum levels of protection.

Never mind the shell the foam used on the inside deteriorates with age as well .

|

7/11/2017 6:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2017 4:38 PM

You used to be able to send your helmet back to these companies and they would refoam it and check it for you.....is that still the case?

|

7/11/2017 7:23 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

You used to be able to send your helmet back to these companies and they would refoam it and check it for you.....is that still the case?

I've heard of them checking it but I've never heard of any refurbishing.

|

7/11/2017 8:08 AM

Check out rmatv. I just got a new bell flex for $290. I replace a helmet every concussion or every year, whichever comes first

|

7/11/2017 8:13 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

You used to be able to send your helmet back to these companies and they would refoam it and check it for you.....is that still the case?

tcallahan707 wrote:

I've heard of them checking it but I've never heard of any refurbishing.

6D does it, maybe also Bell.

|

7/11/2017 8:17 AM

Wasn't someone working on a shock sensor for the crash helmet a while back to record any hard hits? Sure I recall something on Vital about it.

|

7/11/2017 9:47 AM

I've always operated under the idea that if you take a hard shot, like hard enough to "ring your bell", it's time for a new lid. Or every 3-5 years if you haven't soil sampled.

The part that does the brain-saving deceleration is the foam liner. Don't trust your own evaluation of the degree of compression of the liner, as the liner can be compressed enough to be dangerous without you being able to feel it. And I've read that sweat and time have a detrimental effect on the integrity of that material as well. Don't risk it.

So for those of you that replace frequently, what do you do with the old ones?

My dusty helmet shelf is getting full.

H

|

7/11/2017 1:32 PM

Any time I even notice that my head hit the ground, I assume the helmet did its job and it is now done. Replace it, man.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/11/2017 2:20 PM

Spagina767 wrote:

I'm getting older, and going home in one piece is my main goal. I know the saying, "$10 head, $10 helmet", so I run a Bell Moto 9. That being said, money still does not grow on trees. I understand that when a helmet has a hard impact, it should be retired.

What do you all use to gauge the impact? I do know they make devices that go on the helmet, which help with that - I think I will get one for my next lid. But, for now all I have is my gut.

I've smacked my head in this helmet a few times, had my bell rung, but nothing serious. No concussions, no cracks in the helmet or deformities in the foam. I've had enough small ones, and have gotten 3 years out of the helmet, that I'm leaning towards a new one just to be safe.

How do you all make that decision?

SouthFork avatar. smile

3 years and a couple hits, I really would get you a new one. Hang it on the wall.

|

7/11/2017 2:46 PM

I had a Kdub Shoei last me 20 minutes once, first moto with it my buddy pulled up on a table and I was too close, I went over the bars and hit head first. My bell wasn't rung, but I knew the only reason it wasn't was because the helmet did its job.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R


7/11/2017 4:39 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

You used to be able to send your helmet back to these companies and they would refoam it and check it for you.....is that still the case?

tcallahan707 wrote:

I've heard of them checking it but I've never heard of any refurbishing.

I meant "refoam" it, my phone changed it to reform

|

7/11/2017 6:56 PM

Ordering (likely) a new Bell this week. Thanks for the input everyone, I probably should have retired it a bit sooner...

|

7/11/2017 10:53 PM

Contact bell. They will tell you if it's still good or not.

|

7/11/2017 11:10 PM

Spagina767 wrote:

Ordering (likely) a new Bell this week. Thanks for the input everyone, I probably should have retired it a bit sooner...

Glad I could help somewhat, if you end up ordering that is.

To get back on topic, I have always used helmets as long as possible and always the same brand, Airohs. Last fall I took a digger and needed a new helmet so I figured I would try something new. Long story short I ended up buying another Airoh since no helmet I tried on felt good, that list includes, Fox V3-4, Arai's top helmet, Shoei, Leatt, Just-1, AGV, could not get my hands on Bell or 6D at the time. About 2-3 weeks ago I ordered two Bell Moto 9's after finally getting to try it on and since the price was hard to beat. Ended up ordering a 6D helmet last night out of nowhere, really only for the price and if I don't like it I can sell it for more than what I bought it for. After I completely crashed one of my Airohs last year I changed my view on these kinds of things, now even after the smallest hit that I feel affects my head the helmets goes on the shelf.

|