What tires were used?

cable
Edited Date/Time 10/11/2018 1:30am
What tires did Coldenhoff run at Red Bud? What about the USA guys?
|
10/8/2018 8:00pm
Pirelli is the dominant tire in the GP's - by a very large margin.

I'd expect all the ktm riders on them - and 80 percent of the other teams.

From what I saw posted by PirelliMX - they ran the full soft/legal paddle tire
PRM31
10/8/2018 8:36pm
I’ve wondered if those Pirellis are a better tire than the Dunlops run by most US teams
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
10/8/2018 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 8:55pm
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that different tire brands didn't make much of a difference in the results. The GP riders have to ride in a lot of slop and soft sand in the beginning of their outdoor season which starts in March, when it is rainy, dreary, and cold. Our riders don't even have to ride outdoors until May when its usually 80 degrees and sunny at most of our USA tracks. And we are just getting through a long supercross series over the Winter and Spring on hard packed supercross tracks. We get an occasional mud race, and one sand race a year. Those guys ride in that slop and sand most of the time.
10/8/2018 9:21pm
Surely the Dunlops that the top US guys get are specials anyway? ln answer to another post somewhere, Barcia probably opted-out of a sand tyre in one race hoping for better traction on the exposed hard-pac?

The Shop

10/8/2018 9:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 9:23pm
I am partial - I think pirelli is a better consumer tire. I think the michelins are better too. the newest dunlop mx33 was a huge leap forward in the front tire IMHO - because it doesn't chunk (not because it's "better")

But that said - it amazes me how tied to dunlop the us market is....

Dunlop is doing all the "right" things to get the us - sponsor tons of amateurs with free tires, give dealer deal to just about anyone who applies - and full support of pro teams - with unobtainable tires - made in japan - consumer tires made in indonesia.

The pirelli consumer tire is made in same factory as all tires - brazil - and they do race what they sell - truly. Herlings won the US national at ironman on tires bought from a local dealer.

Of course there are R@D things - but for whatever reason - Pirelli just has no traction in the us market...and what I "hear" from local customers is the pirelli is a "lessor" tire - less well made - less whatever they have heard but not researched....

Maybe the consumer tires - just don't work for sx - I dont know....probably a big part of it. Even from dunlops Broc Glover - SX spec tires for top guys are a "worse" tire for most people - too stiff I think he said. So possibly pirelli doesn't have a segment of market large enough to sell a production sx tire....or a desire to spend huge money to custom make small batches to give free for a race team...

This I don't know - just a guess. As with all things MX related - it's hard to make money - when I wouldn't doubt in other segments - like car tires - Pirelli makes big money

Jrewing
10/9/2018 2:57am
Following on from Derek, Pirelli also put out PR detailing the size and compound that the racers used.
Paulin might have been Dunlop.. tho as said before they get Japanese made sumo tyres not the Indo sumo made consumer tyre
10/9/2018 3:46am
I am partial - I think pirelli is a better consumer tire. I think the michelins are better too. the newest dunlop mx33 was a huge...
I am partial - I think pirelli is a better consumer tire. I think the michelins are better too. the newest dunlop mx33 was a huge leap forward in the front tire IMHO - because it doesn't chunk (not because it's "better")

Dunlop is doing all the "right" things to get the us - sponsor tons of amateurs with free tires, give dealer deal to just about anyone who applies - and full support of pro teams - with unobtainable tires - made in japan - consumer tires made in indonesia.

The pirelli consumer tire is made in same factory as all tires - brazil - and they do race what they sell - truly. Herlings won the US national at ironman on tires bought from a local dealer.

Of course there are R@D things - but for whatever reason - Pirelli just has no traction in the us market...and what I "hear" from local customers is the pirelli is a "lessor" tire - less well made - less whatever they have heard but not researched....

Maybe the consumer tires - just don't work for sx - I dont know....probably a big part of it. Even from dunlops Broc Glover - SX spec tires for top guys are a "worse" tire for most people - too stiff I think he said. So possibly pirelli doesn't have a segment of market large enough to sell a production sx tire....or a desire to spend huge money to custom make small batches to give free for a race team...

This I don't know - just a guess. As with all things MX related - it's hard to make money - when I wouldn't doubt in other segments - like car tires - Pirelli makes big money

Dunlop paddle tire (mx11 and mx12) is more durable then Pirelli because the knobs are thicker. That's why I run dunlop. I also don't have problems with tearing knobbies on the front with my mx3s. Have about 55 hours on that tire and the knobbies are still sharp. (sandtracks only)
murph783
10/9/2018 4:00am
I am partial - I think pirelli is a better consumer tire. I think the michelins are better too. the newest dunlop mx33 was a huge...

I would pretty much only run pirelli’s for years (northeastern US here, lots of sand and loam). I had a really bad problem with them chunking a few years back. Took a new set of mxms’s out to a loamy track and had literally every single side knob chunking off after my first moto. Tried calling customer service and essentially got told to pound sand so I swore them off. I don’t know if I just got a bad batch that had sat on the shelf, they changed manufacturing processes or what.
cable
10/9/2018 5:57am
PRM31 wrote:
I’ve wondered if those Pirellis are a better tire than the Dunlops run by most US teams
right? if the other guys are hooking up better what could you say? they are all in contract and have a big race next weekend. so all the euros ran pirellli and USA, Roczen ran Dunlops? Remember when everyone ran bridgestones in sx and would not run anything else?
skypig
10/9/2018 6:31am
I’m old and slow. Battling for last place in club races. Even when I could win races, I was slow in the mud.

A while ago, I showed up at a track that was muddy as hell. Being well funded (see “old”) I slipped in my spare wheels fitted with Pirelli full soft f /legal paddle tire r.

Even though I was on my old 250f I almost pulled the holeshot. (Backed off too early and one guy got around me.)
Each corner wheels would show up in my peripheral vision, then I’d gas it and they would disappear. (Most 450s)
It must have been frustrating for those guys. I was getting significantly more drive. From memory, one more guy got passed, and I finished 3rd. Quite amazing. Even have the race on video. (Good girlfriend.)

I’m back to coming last.

Carry on.
10/9/2018 7:30am

Dunlop paddle tire (mx11 and mx12) is more durable then Pirelli because the knobs are thicker. That's why I run dunlop. I also don't have problems...
Dunlop paddle tire (mx11 and mx12) is more durable then Pirelli because the knobs are thicker. That's why I run dunlop. I also don't have problems with tearing knobbies on the front with my mx3s. Have about 55 hours on that tire and the knobbies are still sharp. (sandtracks only)
The mx3s front tire for me is maybe a 5 hour tire tops.

Side knobs break off.
after 3 hours if you remove the (consumer) tire and push on it vs a new one - its totally worn out. The carcous goes away

the new 33 has solved the chunk issue

When buying any performance tire - I expect life to be short. The pirelli mid soft 32 rear cracks side knobs if ridden on any track with any hard base at all. Most tracks have this (southwick included) I generally got 5-7 hours before small cracks and then 5-7 more before significant cracks/mayeb a side chunk on 1 knob

In grip - imho the pirelli rear smokes the dunlop - front I prefer the michelin or dunlop - cant put a finger on why..

The pirelli mid hard tire (formerly called pro) is a great tire for people wanting all around life and grip. I like that front tire more than the mid soft everywhere - and it looks a heck of a lot like the dunlop..go figure. im a minority here...keefer didnt care for it but loved the midsofts

One issue in the usa imho is that consumers are poorly informed. The consumer dunlops just arent the same tire the teams run. They are also cheaply made carcous wise and even when knobs dont chunk - they get ultra flexy and soft very quickly. At the end of the day - you can buy a tire for life - or grip and dunlop has figured out that the big racers at am levels will replace race tires in under 5 hours, some every race - till mom and dad stop paying!

New dunlop seems to have addresses my major complaints in many ways - so all this is probably a wash. They are a great tire (clearly).
TSCHAM101
10/9/2018 7:54am
My Favorite tire combo is the Pirelli MX32 Soft-Mid front and MX32 pro rear..... i am looking to try the mid hard front(forgot they were made as those are hard to find local or im blind at the tire rack..... going to rocky mountain for one)

I cant stand the MX33 front. i bought a set when i ordered new wheels... rode cahuilla and thought they were okay. and Rode Milestone last week, and i couldnt find grip on the front end no matter what i did... i washed the front end twice while in fast sweepers... it was not predictable at all for me, and i used different pressures all day trying to make it better 12.5psi-13.5psi...

I have yet to try the michelins...
AJ565
10/9/2018 9:23am
I remember when the Dunlop D752 was the hot tire, but only if you paid attention to where it was made. If the sidewall had a rough texture and said made in France it was junk. If it was a smooth sidewall and said made in Japan, that is the tire you wanted.

I went with the Pirelli MX32 soft-mid front from Derek when I had him revalve my forks. I just put it on for last weekend and I feel it was a big improvement over the Dunlop front grip wise. My Dunlop started to chunk, but only the front. The rear is getting close to time to replace I think. If I was racing it would have been replaced a long time ago. I'm looking at trying the MX32 Pro for the rear.
Deetsmx
10/9/2018 11:41am
A dunlop guy told me Tomac runs a 110, probably part of the reason for his starts.
ktmfinn63
10/10/2018 1:08pm
Pirelli is the dominant tire in the GP's - by a very large margin. I'd expect all the ktm riders on them - and 80 percent...
Pirelli is the dominant tire in the GP's - by a very large margin.

I'd expect all the ktm riders on them - and 80 percent of the other teams.

From what I saw posted by PirelliMX - they ran the full soft/legal paddle tire
They had the paddles on both Dunlop and Pirelli. Not available to public though. They were running 120 90-19
captmoto
10/10/2018 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2018 1:55pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
My Favorite tire combo is the Pirelli MX32 Soft-Mid front and MX32 pro rear..... i am looking to try the mid hard front(forgot they were made...
My Favorite tire combo is the Pirelli MX32 Soft-Mid front and MX32 pro rear..... i am looking to try the mid hard front(forgot they were made as those are hard to find local or im blind at the tire rack..... going to rocky mountain for one)

I cant stand the MX33 front. i bought a set when i ordered new wheels... rode cahuilla and thought they were okay. and Rode Milestone last week, and i couldnt find grip on the front end no matter what i did... i washed the front end twice while in fast sweepers... it was not predictable at all for me, and i used different pressures all day trying to make it better 12.5psi-13.5psi...

I have yet to try the michelins...
I noticed the same with an MX3S at Milestone. There will be slop in the corners and baptist picnic dry turns and my front end is kinda slippery, like go away in the blink of an eye. I've tried varying pressures too and sliding the fork tubes up and down, they still let go in a heartbeat.
Moto96
10/10/2018 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2018 4:57pm
Someone posted in the other thread this mid soft choice.

Mm471
10/10/2018 5:39pm
I believe I saw plessenger with the Dunlop mx12 paddle one moto
TeamGreen
10/10/2018 6:18pm
Pirelli WON EVERYTHING.

That'a all I got to say about that.
ob
10/10/2018 7:57pm
I’m not hearing much love for the new 33. I’m still on 3s.
LowPsi
10/10/2018 8:12pm
It's a Summer vs Winter deal. We ride Outdoors in the Summer. Euros ride in the Spring/ Fall Outdoors. Red Bud was fall/winter conditions. Tires play a big part.
cable
10/10/2018 8:23pm
what if it was the tires? Do our guys ever run those paddle tires? If those pirellis are just a little bit better thats all it would take. 1/4 second per corner... Im struggling with not only our guys, but also roczen getting smoked by 250s on a heavy sand/mud horsepower track.
KDXGarage
10/11/2018 1:30am
There for a while, I thought team USA was on these:

7eleven
10/11/2018 1:04pm
This is my first mid-hard front. I have about 25 laps on it and at 12.8 psi, i worked great out at Pala.

Post a reply to: What tires were used?

The Latest