What takes MX to the next level?

level
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 8:50am
You have seen Nascar progress with lead lap, spoilers, etc. They are always looking to make things better for the racers and the fans. So, what does MX need to do or are we good where we are at?

I like the idea of:

-5 extra points for the fastest lap of the race day(another post got me thinking this). This way fast guy gets rewarded even with a horrible start.

-I know many of you might not like this but a rolling start-starting gates are so yesterday Smile. Or some alternative to a start. I fuggin hate starts and I think most riders do also. There dangerous, they can limit good racing of the top guys. You get a bad start it's hard to get up and battle with the rest. To much emphasis placed on 20 seconds of a 30 minutes race.

I really think an alternative to the starts would be safer and you would see more battles with the tops guys.
You start 10th and takes you 20 minutes to get up front in the top 3 where if you got out front in the beginning you might have won. Too much emphasis placed on the start if you ask me. Kind of ruins the rest of the race.
|
SteveS
5/24/2010 11:20am
Who is the next level after you, level?
level
5/24/2010 11:31am
SteveS wrote:
Who is the next level after you, level?
lol
level
5/24/2010 11:32am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2010 11:32am
10 wide-4 row starts based on previous results race or timed qualifying.

Once you cross a line or see flag you can pin it.

Just throwing that out there-not real sure I like the idea myself but just kicking it around.
RACEGUY
5/24/2010 11:38am
I was also experimenting with a bonus point system.

Level, you fucked me up by not liking the gate-start, but build yourself a spreadsheet based on the current points system PLUS -

One point awarded for the holeshot.
One point for the fastest lap (second moto or either moto, but just one).
One point to anyone who leads (point collected only once per event).

The Shop

the_wood109
5/24/2010 11:54am
I think those would actually make the race more spread out instead of closer.

The rider that wins the race has the fastest lap more times then not, and the only chance the riders are even is on the starting line.

If you put the fastest qualifiers on the front row it is going to give them almost a sure bet to running up front, thus distancing themselves sooner. There won't be nearly as much as charging going on.

The points system changes would give even bigger advantages as opposed to tightening up the championship.

Nice try, but I don't think those nascar concepts would work very well in moto.

If you want to tighten up the pack, I think limiting engine mods would be a good start. The best rider will always pull away in this sport...its just the nature, but I think keeping stock engines would tighten up the pack about 8th to 40th.

This could be taken a step further with suspension mods. I think its obvious that stock suspension would be dangerous for the top riders. But, there is no reason why they couldn't limit it to parts that are available to anyone.
Spinner
5/24/2010 12:02pm
Broader media coverage.
edgo897
5/24/2010 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2010 12:08pm
Broaden it out for the numb-skulls? What does that do for the sport? How about making the race a 100 yard dash with a talent show?
mcphilly
5/24/2010 12:17pm
open pits all day long like the do at the NHRA races Smile
level
5/24/2010 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:04pm
You saw with the start how bad it hurt Reed last week and also Dungey. Granted they can charge to the front but with the guys running lap times so close these days it makes it almost damn near impossible to get to the front with a 6th or 7th place start. The couple guys out front gap the field so quickly it just makes it too hard to make up the time. You also see the guys that get a great start that are not as quick fall back fairly quickly.

I just hate seeing fast guys that are pulling the fastest lap times not do well because of a bad start-just seems like too much emphasis placed on it. I know that's how Moto has always been and it may be a shame to change it but the sport has progressed. You don't start out front then you usually don't win. Same with SX also.
mag23
5/24/2010 12:32pm
In Nascar, a top 15 is a huge achievement... In MX/SX, you win, or you suck. On the National level, maybe more respect should be given to guys for just qualifying... The limited TV time probably hurts the ability to interview many guys, but the more heroes in the sport, the better...
level
5/24/2010 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2010 12:46pm
Maybe there are too many guys on the gate. Could do like Arenacross-a front and back row. Fast guys up front-slower guys in the back. Might help also. You watch the start and the slower guys always check up and try and find a good line after the top guys get out front because they know they are not going to get a good start or be able to run the pace.

Honestly I don't know if there is really any true alternatives to a starting gate like we have now but doesn't hurt to kick around some ideas.
pie8man
5/24/2010 1:01pm
YOU ARE MAD!! There is nothing better than the start of a race.... MX style start that is. It's my favorite part of a race whether I am on the bike or watching, heart pounding, so loud it's hard to concentrate, the roar when the gate does fall and of course throwing elbows all the way into the first corner. Changing the start is a change I am not for. One thing I do like is the competition caution like in off road truck racing to tighten up the field at the halfway mark. You have to admit that MX racing is not as exciting to the average entry level fan when there is no actual dicing going on for 20+minutes per moto. The focus needs to be on what will make the racing better for the racers and the fans. Imagine a line of bikes 2 wide 20 deep rolling across the finish line to take the green mid race. This way you get your start both ways and you have the opportunity to recover from a fall down.
level
5/24/2010 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2010 1:15pm
pie8man wrote:
YOU ARE MAD!! There is nothing better than the start of a race.... MX style start that is. It's my favorite part of a race whether...
YOU ARE MAD!! There is nothing better than the start of a race.... MX style start that is. It's my favorite part of a race whether I am on the bike or watching, heart pounding, so loud it's hard to concentrate, the roar when the gate does fall and of course throwing elbows all the way into the first corner. Changing the start is a change I am not for. One thing I do like is the competition caution like in off road truck racing to tighten up the field at the halfway mark. You have to admit that MX racing is not as exciting to the average entry level fan when there is no actual dicing going on for 20+minutes per moto. The focus needs to be on what will make the racing better for the racers and the fans. Imagine a line of bikes 2 wide 20 deep rolling across the finish line to take the green mid race. This way you get your start both ways and you have the opportunity to recover from a fall down.
I really like that idea. Half way through the race do a full lap of just 1st gear around track and allow everyone to tighten back up. It also gives the riders a little breather-let's be honest-30 minutes plus 2 laps is brutal.

I think your right on the start-it really is just part of mx and your idea of a competition caution is really good. Thumbs up on that. Puts everybody within 10 seconds of each other again. Great idea.
Blake
5/24/2010 1:54pm
Points for qualifying. 2 Lap Qualifying run. Best lap is your time.
If you crash, tough shit.

NO Seeded Riders. Do they still do this?
Everyone has to qualify.

1st gear for 1 lap wont work. Factories will put in a 35 MPH 1st gear. Everyone else will be on the rev limiter at 15.

2 strokes. If it sounds cool, it is cool.

Outsider
5/24/2010 2:02pm
Make it mandatory to attend at least one national per year in order to post on Vital.
Larry
5/24/2010 2:09pm
less cliché’s would be a nice start.
JB65
5/24/2010 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:04pm
1. Film Intro clips of All riders in order to show faces and facts as we are following them,
2. More live on board camera work with sponsor logo to cover cost,"The Chad Reed Vegemite cam! "
3. Telemtery readings would be nice,
A" G" out level would be a possibility for the big jumps ,
A rev reading would provide excitement for gen public (with sound) as they traverse jumps, you could tie on the graphic with a static mike on the side of the jump
4. A cable cam or a more expensive remoted boomeable camera for starts, I do not think they are boring at all, they are just covered with the same cams as they use for the race.
5.Sound I think could also be improved for start, I hate to say it but hold the buggers on the line a second more and lets dedicate a channel just for that moment before the off.
Also maybe use a sound mixer to feed in from the section being covered, With flat screen technology sound systems are at a level where they should be exploited.
6. Involve someone from a riders team to discuss the race as it happens, just a face with title DO NOT make it about the interviewer.
7. Maybe Fan interviews from trackside rather than just the wide Yahoo flat bill standard, Mx fans are knowlegdeable and family orientated, Exploit that.
The coverage is yards better than 10 years ago in terms of access tho'.
This razzle dazzle might make it more accessible for someone who does'nt ride however.
jb.
BLAHBLAH
5/24/2010 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2010 2:13pm
Davey Coombs is taking this sport to the next level........
level
5/24/2010 2:18pm
I love the idea of a half way competition caution. That would make for some incredible action and racing. Just let them bunch back up together 4 or 5 wide. I would like to see that tested out. Maybe they could hold an all star race and test it out like nascar does. That would be great. Of course outdoors only-wouldn't work with Supercross.
oldx
5/24/2010 2:19pm
Races 10 minutes longer and qualifying races.
5/24/2010 2:21pm
Mandatory MX pit stops every 10 minutes with double file restarts. Eliminate all right hand turns and berms.
FIREfish148
5/24/2010 2:21pm
Why does everyone want the sport to go to the next level? I personally think the nationals were good back in the late 90s. Honestly the sport now is as good as it gets. Start messing with the structure of the races and it messes up the history of the sport.
TeamGreen
5/24/2010 2:26pm
A Promoter/Promoter group focused on growing and improving the events and venues.

Better/Continuously improving TV pkgs.

A well focused and well enforced Rules pkg/continuously improving sanctioning system.

Utilizing Sponsors that help the Sport gain broader exposure/contribute to Cross-Marketing.

In other-words...the very same track that the Nationals are on.

I'm jus' sayin'...
FIREfish148
5/24/2010 2:28pm
level wrote:
I love the idea of a half way competition caution. That would make for some incredible action and racing. Just let them bunch back up together...
I love the idea of a half way competition caution. That would make for some incredible action and racing. Just let them bunch back up together 4 or 5 wide. I would like to see that tested out. Maybe they could hold an all star race and test it out like nascar does. That would be great. Of course outdoors only-wouldn't work with Supercross.
This isnt NASCAR though. Halfway cautions would completely take away from training purposes, and cats would start slacking even more probably. How would you like to pull out a 30 second lead only to have to give it up, get bonziaed by the second place dude and eat roost for the rest of the race? The only changes I can see that would make it better would be making the riders qualify through heat races like they did a few years back. WAAYY more interesting to watch for fans.

Post a reply to: What takes MX to the next level?

The Latest